Jump to topic:

The USA Justice System...

cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 11:31:18 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Does it favor celebs? Yes. Do celebs break the law, and not get caught? Yes? Why? (To both questions.) I mean there is the bribing of officers, and judges, but any eal reasons? The only one I have heard, is that some think that celebs learn better by close calls. Makes no sense to me? Can someone provide me an insight, or explanation.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 11:57:51 AM
At 7/21/2010 11:31:18 AM, cjl wrote:
Does it favor celebs? Yes. Do celebs break the law, and not get caught? Yes? Why? (To both questions.) I mean there is the bribing of officers, and judges, but any eal reasons? The only one I have heard, is that some think that celebs learn better by close calls. Makes no sense to me? Can someone provide me an insight, or explanation.:

I think you're being very selective. Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, and Martha Stewart aren't the only celebrities that have been to jail. Wesley Snipes: 3 years for tax evasion. O.J. Simpson: 33 years, possibility for parole in 9 for armed robbery. Phil Spector, 19-Life for homicide. Here's a list of all the celebrities who've been arrested and for what.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 1:25:31 PM
At 7/21/2010 11:57:51 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 7/21/2010 11:31:18 AM, cjl wrote:
Does it favor celebs? Yes. Do celebs break the law, and not get caught? Yes? Why? (To both questions.) I mean there is the bribing of officers, and judges, but any eal reasons? The only one I have heard, is that some think that celebs learn better by close calls. Makes no sense to me? Can someone provide me an insight, or explanation.:

I think you're being very selective. Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, and Martha Stewart aren't the only celebrities that have been to jail. Wesley Snipes: 3 years for tax evasion. O.J. Simpson: 33 years, possibility for parole in 9 for armed robbery. Phil Spector, 19-Life for homicide. Here's a list of all the celebrities who've been arrested and for what.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com...

I wasn't mentioning names, but oookaay. But why do they tend to get off easier?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 3:53:13 PM
I wasn't mentioning names, but oookaay. But why do they tend to get off easier?:

How do know they do though? Aren't you just making the assumption that they are? In order to know for sure, I think it would require some Dept. of Justice statistics.

But that's what I'm hinting at. Maybe it is your perception that celebs get off easier than the rest of society, when in fact they might not.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 5:02:47 PM
At 7/21/2010 3:53:13 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I wasn't mentioning names, but oookaay. But why do they tend to get off easier?:

How do know they do though? Aren't you just making the assumption that they are? In order to know for sure, I think it would require some Dept. of Justice statistics.

But that's what I'm hinting at. Maybe it is your perception that celebs get off easier than the rest of society, when in fact they might not.

Look at Lindsay Lohan, then say I am making assumptions.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 5:04:11 PM
Look at Lindsay Lohan, then say I am making assumptions.:

But to whom are you comparing her sentence with?
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 5:05:17 PM
At 7/21/2010 5:04:11 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Look at Lindsay Lohan, then say I am making assumptions.:

But to whom are you comparing her sentence with?

The average person, who would hae been in for five years for the same crimes.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 5:08:16 PM
Most celebrities do get off easier. Not all though. I have no clue why other then the government is corrupted and picks faves.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 5:09:28 PM
At 7/21/2010 5:08:16 PM, lovelife wrote:
Most celebrities do get off easier. Not all though. I have no clue why other then the government is corrupted and picks faves.

Obviously not the poor.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 5:15:22 PM
At 7/21/2010 5:09:28 PM, cjl wrote:
At 7/21/2010 5:08:16 PM, lovelife wrote:

Obviously not the poor.

Well duh not the poor, they can't pay the government to be more corrupted.

Celebrities should face harsher punishments then normal people. As an example.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 5:19:58 PM
The average person, who would hae been in for five years for the same crimes.:

Nobody gets five years for driving under the influence. Her crime in this instance was violating the terms of her probation. She was required to go once a week to counseling. Instead, she would go several times in one week and then not show up for three.

Believe me, I'm defending her or her actions, but I'm not entirely sure that celebs necessarily get off easier than the average citizen. If it were as bad as you seem to think, she would never have gone to jail in the first place. Think about it.
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 5:51:09 PM
At 7/21/2010 5:19:58 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The average person, who would hae been in for five years for the same crimes.:

Nobody gets five years for driving under the influence. Her crime in this instance was violating the terms of her probation. She was required to go once a week to counseling. Instead, she would go several times in one week and then not show up for three.

Believe me, I'm defending her or her actions, but I'm not entirely sure that celebs necessarily get off easier than the average citizen. If it were as bad as you seem to think, she would never have gone to jail in the first place. Think about it.

For the bolded, and the DUI, the average person would be in for at least three years.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 6:06:01 PM
For the bolded, and the DUI, the average person would be in for at least three years.:

No, not even close. But just so you know, the judge called for 90-days (the maximum punishment) but due to overcrowding she will only serve 2 weeks.
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 6:08:39 PM
At 7/21/2010 6:06:01 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
For the bolded, and the DUI, the average person would be in for at least three years.:

No, not even close. But just so you know, the judge called for 90-days (the maximum punishment) but due to overcrowding she will only serve 2 weeks.

Not sure where you live, but here in ND, USA we tend to not be so lenient.
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2010 6:11:47 PM
At 7/21/2010 6:10:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:
"You have as much justice as you can afford"

~ O.J. Simpson on the American Justice system

Not quite sure what it means but, go FREEDO!
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 2:32:06 PM
No, celebs don't get off any easier than ordinary people. Serving 84 minutes for a two week sentence is in fact the norm in Los Angeles, for example. It's easier to understand if you think of the justice system as run by bureaucrats. If you do A then the sentence is B and you actually get off with C. Unfairness would require creativity, and that is not characteristic of bureaucracy.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 2:46:58 PM
At 7/21/2010 6:11:47 PM, cjl wrote:
At 7/21/2010 6:10:16 PM, FREEDO wrote:
"You have as much justice as you can afford"

~ O.J. Simpson on the American Justice system

Not quite sure what it means but, go FREEDO!

It means you can pay to have the law not actually affect you.
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 8:18:42 PM
At 7/23/2010 2:32:06 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
No, celebs don't get off any easier than ordinary people. Serving 84 minutes for a two week sentence is in fact the norm in Los Angeles, for example. It's easier to understand if you think of the justice system as run by bureaucrats. If you do A then the sentence is B and you actually get off with C. Unfairness would require creativity, and that is not characteristic of bureaucracy.

Roy: wake up! I live in ND, and here we tend to be hard as$es.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 9:48:17 PM
At 7/23/2010 8:18:42 PM, cjl wrote:

No doubt the table of punishments is different, but I doubt very much they depart from whatever the norm is, for celebrities or anyone else.

Besides, in North Dakota you can punish people by just leaving them outdoors to freeze. In Los Angeles it is more expensive.
cjl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2010 10:01:01 AM
At 7/23/2010 9:48:17 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 7/23/2010 8:18:42 PM, cjl wrote:

No doubt the table of punishments is different, but I doubt very much they depart from whatever the norm is, for celebrities or anyone else.

Besides, in North Dakota you can punish people by just leaving them outdoors to freeze. In Los Angeles it is more expensive.

We are hard as$es, but not cavemen. I live in ND, not Alaska. Oh, don't doubt, as we have heavy punishments here.