Jump to topic:

robbers let off because 3 yr old is racist

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 6:47:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
A judge blasts a 3 year old for being afraid of black people after black people robbed her home and put a gun in her face. If this is how a judge views a 3 year old as racist for being afraid of black men after getting a gun in their face, I can only imagine how he must lash out at rape victims who are afraid of all men for a while or she'll shocked soldiers afraid of absolutely everyone.

This judge was so angry at a 3 year old for being racist he thought it was a good ideal to let these robbers get off with a slap on the wrist and merely gave them probation.

http://rightwingnews.com...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 7:31:02 PM
At 4/13/2015 6:47:15 PM, Wylted wrote:
A judge blasts a 3 year old for being afraid of black people after black people robbed her home and put a gun in her face. If this is how a judge views a 3 year old as racist for being afraid of black men after getting a gun in their face, I can only imagine how he must lash out at rape victims who are afraid of all men for a while or she'll shocked soldiers afraid of absolutely everyone.

This judge was so angry at a 3 year old for being racist he thought it was a good ideal to let these robbers get off with a slap on the wrist and merely gave them probation.

The judge's response was unbecoming and unacceptable.

However, I'd note that some people's reactions to it are too disgraceful and uncivilized to take seriously. Take a moment to read the comments on that video.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 7:32:01 PM
At 4/13/2015 7:31:02 PM, 000ike wrote:

However, I'd note that some people's reactions to it are too disgraceful and uncivilized to take seriously. Take a moment to read the comments on that video.

the comments on the youtube video within your link - that is.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 8:07:01 PM
At 4/13/2015 7:32:01 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 4/13/2015 7:31:02 PM, 000ike wrote:

the comments on the youtube video within your link - that is.

I can't actually see the comments on the phone, but because it's YouTube, I assume it's 90 percent racist and 70% of the comments have the N word.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2015 8:48:34 PM
The judge has no right to be offended. Fear is not usually rational, and particularly not in the case of three-year-old who had just gone through a traumatic event (since the child really has no choice in the matter, getting offended is pointless). The judge asks, in an accusing tone, whether the child would have responded in the same way had the robbers been white. The three-year-old has probably had very little contact with black people, considering that his family is all white, so it's not the same, since if you have no experience with a certain group of people then your opinion of them can be easily swayed one way or the other. And of course, people naturally fear the unknown.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 4:16:52 PM
At 4/13/2015 8:48:34 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
The judge has no right to be offended. Fear is not usually rational, and particularly not in the case of three-year-old who had just gone through a traumatic event (since the child really has no choice in the matter, getting offended is pointless). The judge asks, in an accusing tone, whether the child would have responded in the same way had the robbers been white. The three-year-old has probably had very little contact with black people, considering that his family is all white, so it's not the same, since if you have no experience with a certain group of people then your opinion of them can be easily swayed one way or the other. And of course, people naturally fear the unknown.

I think the judge is racist also, you'd have to be to think like that, not a single rational person would conclude that a rape victim was sexist because she started fearing all men, and this experience is probably more traumatic than most rapes.

I really have a hard time understanding liberal thinking.
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 5:44:58 PM
At 4/15/2015 4:16:52 PM, Wylted wrote:

I think the judge is racist also, you'd have to be to think like that, not a single rational person would conclude that a rape victim was sexist because she started fearing all men, and this experience is probably more traumatic than most rapes.

ehhh, I don't think he's necessarily a racist. People get so hysterical over matters of race that it often prevents them from thinking. In this case, the judge failed to appreciate the circumstances which made the child's fear of black people understandable and nonoffensive. The fact that he seemed to take it personally was pathetic and childish.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 5:47:28 PM

Considering that your attempt to understand liberal thinking is via a website such as "Right Wing News" and fringe stories such as this one, I would conclude that you aren't even trying. In other words, it isn't the fault of liberal thinking that you have a hard time understanding it.
"You don't have a right to be a jerk."
--Religion Forum's hypocrite extraordinaire serving up lulz
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 6:38:31 PM
At 4/15/2015 5:47:28 PM, Fly wrote:

Considering that your attempt to understand liberal thinking is via a website such as "Right Wing News" and fringe stories such as this one, I would conclude that you aren't even trying. In other words, it isn't the fault of liberal thinking that you have a hard time understanding it.

So because it is a fringe story it is invalid? If CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc... covered the story would it still be a fringe story? Or is it only a fringe story because the mainstream press chooses not to discuss it?
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 7:00:27 PM
At 4/15/2015 6:38:31 PM, Geogeer wrote:

So because it is a fringe story it is invalid? If CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc... covered the story would it still be a fringe story? Or is it only a fringe story because the mainstream press chooses not to discuss it?

You missed my point by a mile. It is a fringe story because it is not representative of mainstream liberal thought. If I chose to post a story about a white supremacist group's antics and implied that it was indicative of mainstream conservative thought, you would be correct in saying that it is a fringe story in the same context as I mean here.

For the record, I found the story reported in USA Today as well as many right wing outlets.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 7:03:21 PM

Actually, I used to be liberal. I'm like yo, yeah let's hand money to the poor and throw money at all our problems, but then when I started digging, I realized that merely throwing money at problems doesn't fix them and in many cases, makes them worse, so yes I have been a liberal and am fully aware of their thinking.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 7:19:29 PM
At 4/15/2015 7:03:21 PM, Wylted wrote:

Actually, I used to be liberal. I'm like yo, yeah let's hand money to the poor and throw money at all our problems, but then when I started digging, I realized that merely throwing money at problems doesn't fix them and in many cases, makes them worse, so yes I have been a liberal and am fully aware of their thinking.

Isn't life funny? I used to be a conservative Republican. I thought that we need to keep taxes low, enlarge the military, and pay for it by cutting welfare spending. Then I did some digging and realized that the GOP doesn't act as fiscally responsibly as it claims, and it simply forks over handouts to wealthy interests rather than poor ones. They think that we can still be financially viable with stupidly low effective tax rates. They can stare reality straight in the face and say, "No, I think not."

Perhaps we are ideological mirrors to each other?
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 7:23:06 PM
At 4/15/2015 7:19:29 PM, Fly wrote:

Isn't life funny? I used to be a conservative Republican. I thought that we need to keep taxes low, enlarge the military, and pay for it by cutting welfare spending. Then I did some digging and realized that the GOP doesn't act as fiscally responsibly as it claims, and it simply forks over handouts to wealthy interests rather than poor ones. They think that we can still be financially viable with stupidly low effective tax rates. They can stare reality straight in the face and say, "No, I think not."

Well, you're referring to Republicans that are Democrats in disguise, but I can see how you thought you were a republican.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 7:27:03 PM
At 4/15/2015 7:23:06 PM, Wylted wrote:
At 4/15/2015 7:19:29 PM, Fly wrote:

Well, you're referring to Republicans that are Democrats in disguise, but I can see how you thought you were a republican.

Really? Saint Reagan was a RINO in your educated opinion?

I smell a "no true Scotsman" in your style of thinking...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 7:51:07 PM
Yes Reagan was a RHINO and not a no true Scotsman thing, just a very few Scotsman thing. Probably 5% of Republicans are not RHINOs
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 8:07:47 PM
At 4/15/2015 7:00:27 PM, Fly wrote:
At 4/15/2015 6:38:31 PM, Geogeer wrote:

You missed my point by a mile. It is a fringe story because it is not representative of mainstream liberal thought. If I chose to post a story about a white supremacist group's antics and implied that it was indicative of mainstream conservative thought, you would be correct in saying that it is a fringe story in the same context as I mean here.

Wylted never claimed this was mainstream liberal though, he just said liberal thought. As a conservative would not reach the same conclusion, he cannot understand how anyone would:

a) berate anyone who develops a fear from a situation - regardless of whether that fear is politically incorrect.

b) not only berate a victim for a natural response to trauma, but then to do so to one who hasn't even reached the age of reason yet whereby they can reason around their natural event based reactions.

This is only a fringe event if it is isolated in nature, yet we find this kind of attitude (though not this exact case) becoming more and more prevalent.
Fly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 8:10:33 PM
At 4/15/2015 7:51:07 PM, Wylted wrote:
Yes Reagan was a RHINO and not a no true Scotsman thing, just a very few Scotsman thing. Probably 5% of Republicans are not RHINOs

This is actually a manifestation of what I was talking about when I mentioned the conservative Republican ability to look reality straight in the face and say, "No, I think not..."
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 8:42:35 PM
Liberal logic 101
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2015 10:24:51 PM
At 4/15/2015 8:10:33 PM, Fly wrote:
At 4/15/2015 7:51:07 PM, Wylted wrote:

This is actually a manifestation of what I was talking about when I mentioned the conservative Republican ability to look reality straight in the face and say, "No, I think not..."

I don't recognize any premises, and I think that mainstream republicans and Democrats both seem to have a problem in doing that.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 7:52:54 PM
"robbers let off because 3 yr old is racist" Liberal logic 101
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 8:32:12 AM

I feel bad for laughing, but this is so funny that they gave that man such power in the court. But perhaps my knee-jerk-reaction is wrong, maybe if a qualified candidate showed up swastika tattooed on his or her forehead, they would also let that person judge and base sentences on racism and victim blaming.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 11:44:50 AM

Pretty sad. This judge committed the same error that many people make, which is overestimate human ability to control thoughts and feelings.

It is perfectly normal for a person to develop a fear or aversion to a stimulus as part of a trauma. It goes to show how people in all areas of life are ignorant with basic science.

Learned behavior is a well documented phenomena in all types of animals. That this judge should reprimand a kid for something they did not consciously choose is terrible.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 11:59:25 AM
On another note, leave it to a conservative website to dishonestly report the news. One of the robbers got probation. The other who was on probation at the time got jail time.

Conservative press, for f's sake, get some integrity.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 12:08:17 PM
Last thing to say is that I'm sure the response to this judge as a whole completely disregards this judge's true error, which is that he does not understand how learned behaviors are formed.

America as a whole completely disregards how learned unconscious behaviors contribute to racism.

Those black men, unbeknownst to them, are responsible for the learned behavior that this child has causing her to fear all black men now. Once learned the only way to "unlearn" that fear is constant exposure to black people so the brain learns nothing bad is going to happen.

I had the ceiling crash in on me during a thunderstorm as a kid because there was leak and it saturated the insulation causing too much weight. It took years for me to not fear thunderstorms.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 1:19:34 PM
Im not going to argue whether or not the sentences awarded were just. I will say that the judge is correct in pointing out the parents' ignorance. Perhaps they are intentionally teaching their child to be racist, perhaps they are doing it without knowing. But the argument that the child now associates black males with danger because of that one incident is bull$hit. Sorry, it just is. A 3 year old doesn't focus on race. They don't notice the skin color of a person any more or less than their gender, or the clothes they wear for example. All black males scare the little toddler now? Why not all black males who are wearing similar clothes to what the robbers wore? Or simply all males? Or all blacks?

if the child actually said that she fears black men specifically, (which I doubt) then it's because her parents essentially taught her to. I don't think it's right for a judge to change the sentencing for a crime based on the racism of the victims, but he isn't wrong to call it out. And I'm not even sure that the sentencings in this case were too light.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 1:59:58 PM
At 4/20/2015 1:19:34 PM, ford_prefect wrote:
Im not going to argue whether or not the sentences awarded were just. I will say that the judge is correct in pointing out the parents' ignorance. Perhaps they are intentionally teaching their child to be racist,

Perhaps they are teaching their kid to be racist, but the assumption is baseless. They merely wrote a letter pointing out their daughters fear of black people after the incident.

perhaps they are doing it without knowing. But the argument that the child now associates black males with danger because of that one incident is bull$hit. Sorry, it just is.

Not true. By 3 years old, kids are already recognizing the differences between races and have been shown to prefer Barbuda or action figures that are of their own race. Here is an article on a study unrelated to the one I mention showing the same thing. http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

A 3 year old doesn't focus on race. They don't notice the skin color of a person any more or less than their gender, or the clothes they wear for example. All black males scare the little toddler now? Why not all black males who are wearing similar clothes to what the robbers wore? Or simply all males? Or all blacks?

People divide stuff up. If she was molested by a white man she'd probably fear all white men. If the only black men she's ever had interaction with out a gun to her head, it's understandable. I'm not sure why you'd expect her to associate everything black with the experience either. There is bothering as far as gender is concerned to, so the divisions would be race gender and age mostly. I'd actually go as far as to say that 3 year old is probably u afraid of elderly black men or babies as well, because of where the dividing lines stand.

if the child actually said that she fears black men specifically, (which I doubt) then it's because her parents essentially taught her to. I don't think it's right for a judge to change the sentencing for a crime based on the racism of the victims, but he isn't wrong to call it out. And I'm not even sure that the sentencings in this case were too light.

That's silly. Often times rape victims are afraid of every man after their incident. It's not a thing that is taught or easily overcome. It's just a psychological trigger of the past event. If every experience that girl has had with you g black men is to receive a gun to the head than obviously she'll connect the 2 together.

I doubt the child would say she fears black people as well, I'm sure it is just her parents noticing the anxiety on her face, the fact they even brought this up instead of keeping it to themselves is an indicator that they fear she'll turn into a bigot as a result of the experience.

Also come on the sentences are too light. This was armed robbery, not cat burglary. I've received more time in jail for unpaid speeding tickets than these guys got for sticking a gun to people's head and stealing their possessions.

I would hope, that it is not common practice in our legal system to stick people in jail for several years for dealing marijuana to their friends, but let an armed robber to go completely free. Next time these guys will probably kill the victims so witnesses can't ID them in court.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 4:14:37 PM
Im not going to argue whether or not the sentences awarded were just. I will say that the judge is correct in pointing out the parents' ignorance. Perhaps they are intentionally teaching their child to be racist, perhaps they are doing it without knowing. But the argument that the child now associates black males with danger because of that one incident is bull$hit. Sorry, it just is. A 3 year old doesn't focus on race. They don't notice the skin color of a person any more or less than their gender, or the clothes they wear for example. All black males scare the little toddler now? Why not all black males who are wearing similar clothes to what the robbers wore? Or simply all males? Or all blacks?

You really have no idea how learned behaviors are formed. Pavlov's dog didn't choose to salivate when the bell was rung because he had a choice of the matter.

Just like when I got sick from under cooked bratwurst but I had an aversion to peanuts for two years after because that is what I tasted when I upchucked.

You are making baseless assertions that the parents taught this child to fear blacks when it is most likely because the association due to the event.
ford_prefect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 5:30:28 PM
At 4/20/2015 4:14:37 PM, slo1 wrote:

You really have no idea how learned behaviors are formed. Pavlov's dog didn't choose to salivate when the bell was rung because he had a choice of the matter.
You really have no idea how that experiment worked. The dog didn't drool after one incident, it took a lot of repetition. This little girls' parents are saying she has a learned aversion to black men after one incident. Yeah ok, sure.
Just like when I got sick from under cooked bratwurst but I had an aversion to peanuts for two years after because that is what I tasted when I upchucked.

You are making baseless assertions that the parents taught this child to fear blacks when it is most likely because the association due to the event.

The assertions aren't baseless. Little children aren't that good at categorizing people and things. No child that age would use skin color as a way of determining whether to trust someone or be afraid of them.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2015 6:10:58 PM

You should be happy. This is a slap in the face to statism.