Jump to topic:

Hitchens Has Fatal Cancer :(

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 3:54:57 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hitchens has recently been diagnosed with esophagus cancer. He has written an article entitled "Topic of Cancer" where he describes his experience and current state. He's definitely a real fighter in the face of death and the excruciating pain of cancer side-effects.

"In whatever kind of a "race" life may be, I have very abruptly become a finalist." -- Christopher Hitchens

http://www.vanityfair.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 4:00:01 AM
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 4:04:06 AM
At 8/7/2010 4:01:19 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

inB4 Theists say wrath of God

Lol. Who knows though? He might be in for a surprise when he dies though. ;)

Ok, jokes aside, this is sad. Cancer sucks. :(
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 4:16:14 AM
http://www.debate.org...

I haven't watched the video yet, but is it fatal?

Yes. He said he only has a couple years left.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 5:28:50 AM
At 8/7/2010 4:16:14 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

I haven't watched the video yet, but is it fatal?

Yes. He said he only has a couple years left.

Ouch. This is too devastating! There can't be a God.

I hope he brings out a book discussing the afterlife in light of this.

Anyway, is there a fifth horseman to take his place?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 6:29:30 AM
That sucks, dude. Hopefully he can beat it back a little and live a longer life than just 2 years he supposedly has left.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/7/2010 2:14:30 PM
I believe George Karl, head coach of the NBA's Denver Nuggets, is currently finishing treatment for his second bout with this same form of cancer. It is treatable, but it's tough.

I haven't followed Hitchens's case closely, but hopefully, he can overcome it.

Perhaps say a prayer for him, whether he'd do it for himself or not. :)
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2010 11:26:16 AM
At 8/8/2010 9:25:31 AM, theLwerd wrote:
His tombstone should read:

Here lies an Atheist. All dressed up and nowhere to go.

THAT is pretty funny.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 9:33:09 AM
At 8/10/2010 9:21:42 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
I can't help but consider, what if God did it.

I'd say it fits his rap sheet...

he even wanted to slaughter Every last jew on the face of the earth just b/c a bunch of'em stupidly prayed to a mock-up of a calf.

and it took appeals to his vanity for Moses to get him to reconsider... and instead only have a group of "better" jews slaughter most of the others (specifically ordering the inclusion of Women and Children)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 9:47:01 AM
At 8/10/2010 9:33:09 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

he even wanted to slaughter Every last jew on the face of the earth just b/c a bunch of'em stupidly prayed to a mock-up of a calf.
Not every last jew, just a lot if your taking about the polytheists heretics.

and it took appeals to his vanity for Moses to get him to reconsider... and instead only have a group of "better" jews slaughter most of the others (specifically ordering the inclusion of Women and Children)
[citation needed]
'sup DDO -- july 2013
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 10:21:09 AM
At 8/10/2010 9:47:01 AM, Zetsubou wrote:

Nope... every last jew. (excepting Moses if you wanna be technical)

[citation needed]

God said to Moses, "I look at this people—oh! what a stubborn, hard-headed people! Let me alone now, give my anger free reign to burst into flames and incinerate them. But I'll make a great nation out of you."

11-13 Moses tried to calm his God down. He said, "Why, God, would you lose your temper with your people? Why, you brought them out of Egypt in a tremendous demonstration of power and strength. Why let the Egyptians say, (VANITY)'He had it in for them—he brought them out so he could kill them in the mountains, wipe them right off the face of the Earth.' Stop your anger. Think twice about bringing evil against your people! Think of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, your servants to whom you gave your word, telling them 'I will give you many children, as many as the stars in the sky, and I'll give this land to your children as their land forever.'"

14 And God did think twice (I LOVE that line). He decided not to do the evil he had threatened against his people.

27 He then told them, "God's orders, the God of Israel: 'Strap on your swords and go to work. Crisscross the camp from one end to the other: Kill brother, friend, neighbor.'"

(ok... so not specifically ordering the deaths of women and children...)

28 The Levites carried out Moses' orders. Three thousand of the people were killed that day.

29 Moses said, "You confirmed your ordination today—and at great cost, even killing your sons and brothers! And God has blessed you."
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 10:35:19 AM
At 8/10/2010 10:21:09 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 8/10/2010 9:47:01 AM, Zetsubou wrote:

Nope... every last jew. (excepting Moses if you wanna be technical)

[citation needed]

God said to Moses, "I look at this people—oh! what a stubborn, hard-headed people! Let me alone now, give my anger free reign to burst into flames and incinerate them. But I'll make a great nation out of you."

11-13 Moses tried to calm his God down. He said, "Why, God, would you lose your temper with your people? Why, you brought them out of Egypt in a tremendous demonstration of power and strength. Why let the Egyptians say, (VANITY)'He had it in for them—he brought them out so he could kill them in the mountains, wipe them right off the face of the Earth.' Stop your anger. Think twice about bringing evil against your people! Think of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, your servants to whom you gave your word, telling them 'I will give you many children, as many as the stars in the sky, and I'll give this land to your children as their land forever.'"

14 And God did think twice (I LOVE that line). He decided not to do the evil he had threatened against his people.

27 He then told them, "God's orders, the God of Israel: 'Strap on your swords and go to work. Crisscross the camp from one end to the other: Kill brother, friend, neighbor.'"

(ok... so not specifically ordering the deaths of women and children...)

28 The Levites carried out Moses' orders. Three thousand of the people were killed that day.

29 Moses said, "You confirmed your ordination today—and at great cost, even killing your sons and brothers! And God has blessed you."

I expected as much, Yahweh has ordered the killing of kids but never Jewish kids.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 3:17:47 PM
At 8/10/2010 10:35:19 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
I expected as much, Yahweh has ordered the killing of kids but never Jewish kids.

but he was gonna incinerate'em all until Moses gott'em to think twice because of what the Egyptians might say...

LOL

Metaphysics:
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 3:42:09 PM
While it is bad that he has cancer, I honestly don't care much for him.
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
vivalayeo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 10:04:45 PM
This is upsetting, I've really enjoyed reading his book's and he truely is an intelligent, gifted man. It doesn't look good, but there is alway's hope. Gotta wish him all the best like.
Strikeeagle84015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 11:14:33 AM
The real question is what happens when he finds out there is an afterlife?
: At 8/17/2010 7:17:56 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
: Hey dawg, i herd you like evangelical trolls so we put a bible thumper in yo bible thumper so you can troll while you troll!

Arguing with an atheist about God is very similar to arguing with a blind man about what the Sistine Chapel looks like
Marilyn Poe

Strikeeagle wrote
The only way I will stop believing in God is if he appeared before me and told me that he did not exist.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 2:54:50 PM
At 8/11/2010 11:14:33 AM, Strikeeagle84015 wrote:

Haha. That's his loss I guess.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 3:16:28 PM
At 8/11/2010 2:54:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Wait, so you think that an afterlife is a "loss"?

I know Hitchens doesn't desire an afterlife, but you made it seem like you don't even think an afterlife is desirable.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 3:20:58 PM
At 8/11/2010 3:16:28 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 8/11/2010 2:54:50 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Wait, so you think that an afterlife is a "loss"?

I know Hitchens doesn't desire an afterlife, but you made it seem like you don't even think an afterlife is desirable.

No, I meant that it's his loss because he would likely end up in hell.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 3:23:15 PM

When he finds out there is an afterlife, he can preach his anti-theism forever! Wouldn't that be great!

You do realize that there can be afterlife without God, right? The mahor religion of Jainism is a religion that believes in an afterlife, but rejects God. Hitchens spoke out more against God than he did the afterlife so who will punish him in this Godless afterlife?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 3:24:39 PM
At 8/11/2010 3:23:15 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

When he finds out there is an afterlife, he can preach his anti-theism forever! Wouldn't that be great!

You do realize that there can be afterlife without God, right? The mahor religion of Jainism is a religion that believes in an afterlife, but rejects God. Hitchens spoke out more against God than he did the afterlife so who will punish him in this Godless afterlife?

I wasn't aware that Jainism was atheistic actually. I thought they had some kind of deity they worshipped.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2010 3:24:51 PM
Edit: *major
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat