Total Posts:55|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Supreme Court legalizes Gay Marriage

Zeroskye
Posts: 26
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 9:17:16 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
So gay marriage is now legal in all 50 states. Thoughts?

I apologize if a similar thread already exists.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 10:00:20 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Using Kennedy's logic, I can't wait to see concealed carry permits legalized in all states.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 10:32:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 10:00:20 AM, TN05 wrote:
Using Kennedy's logic, I can't wait to see concealed carry permits legalized in all states.

It won't directly affect, given the obvious differences between the situations.

That said, there are no states which completely prohibit concealed carry as far as I'm aware.

So I'm quite unclear on your point.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 10:42:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 10:32:55 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 6/26/2015 10:00:20 AM, TN05 wrote:
Using Kennedy's logic, I can't wait to see concealed carry permits legalized in all states.

It won't directly affect, given the obvious differences between the situations.

How are they different? Both gun ownership and gay marriage are constitutional rights now.

That said, there are no states which completely prohibit concealed carry as far as I'm aware.

So I'm quite unclear on your point.

I'm talking about making a state accept the concealed carry permit in another state. Kennedy's argument almost mandates that.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 11:01:10 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 10:42:47 AM, TN05 wrote:
At 6/26/2015 10:32:55 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 6/26/2015 10:00:20 AM, TN05 wrote:
Using Kennedy's logic, I can't wait to see concealed carry permits legalized in all states.

It won't directly affect, given the obvious differences between the situations.

How are they different? Both gun ownership and gay marriage are constitutional rights now.

Gun ownership and marriage have both been constitutional rights for quite some time.

Gay marriage is folded under the broader protections of marriage for lack of an argument not to.

That said, there are no states which completely prohibit concealed carry as far as I'm aware.

So I'm quite unclear on your point.

I'm talking about making a state accept the concealed carry permit in another state. Kennedy's argument almost mandates that.

Not in the slightest, if you read it. Carrying a gun is a daily choice, not a matter of lifestyle. There are no government benefits tied to being able to carry a gun, no tax incentives, no death benefits, no adoption privileges.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 11:05:42 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Meh... I'm not too fussed.

If gays want to get married, I don't really care that much to oppose it. I suppose I disagree with it in principle (mainly because of the arrogance of those who support it) but I've got bigger fish to fry - more serious issues that I could care about.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 11:33:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 11:05:42 AM, Philocat wrote:
Meh... I'm not too fussed.

If gays want to get married, I don't really care that much to oppose it. I suppose I disagree with it in principle (mainly because of the arrogance of those who support it) but I've got bigger fish to fry - more serious issues that I could care about.

I actually don't think this change is not negative enough to warrant opposition. I'm actually pro-gay marriage, but not for any of the freedom and equality stuff that LGBT rights activists like to repeat, and I fear that this ruling will only enforce those arguments that LGBT activists propagate. Honestly, I'd much rather people see gay marriage as a necessary evil than a 'right'.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 11:46:31 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 11:33:28 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:05:42 AM, Philocat wrote:
Meh... I'm not too fussed.

If gays want to get married, I don't really care that much to oppose it. I suppose I disagree with it in principle (mainly because of the arrogance of those who support it) but I've got bigger fish to fry - more serious issues that I could care about.

I actually don't think this change is not negative enough to warrant opposition. I'm actually pro-gay marriage, but not for any of the freedom and equality stuff that LGBT rights activists like to repeat, and I fear that this ruling will only enforce those arguments that LGBT activists propagate. Honestly, I'd much rather people see gay marriage as a necessary evil than a 'right'.

Yeah, I'm just accepting it as something that will (has) inevitably become the norm.
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 11:55:57 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 11:46:31 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:33:28 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:05:42 AM, Philocat wrote:
Meh... I'm not too fussed.

If gays want to get married, I don't really care that much to oppose it. I suppose I disagree with it in principle (mainly because of the arrogance of those who support it) but I've got bigger fish to fry - more serious issues that I could care about.

I actually don't think this change is not negative enough to warrant opposition. I'm actually pro-gay marriage, but not for any of the freedom and equality stuff that LGBT rights activists like to repeat, and I fear that this ruling will only enforce those arguments that LGBT activists propagate. Honestly, I'd much rather people see gay marriage as a necessary evil than a 'right'.

Yeah, I'm just accepting it as something that will (has) inevitably become the norm.

But don't you think it would be more productive if society begins to see gay marriage as simply an interim measure while we look for ways to reduce or even eliminate homosexuality? If we can find an economical 'cure' (in quotes, of course, since homosexuality isn't strictly an illness), gays can be 'straightened' and happily married to people of the opposite sex, and at the end everyone is happy :)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 12:16:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 11:55:57 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:46:31 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:33:28 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:05:42 AM, Philocat wrote:
Meh... I'm not too fussed.

If gays want to get married, I don't really care that much to oppose it. I suppose I disagree with it in principle (mainly because of the arrogance of those who support it) but I've got bigger fish to fry - more serious issues that I could care about.

I actually don't think this change is not negative enough to warrant opposition. I'm actually pro-gay marriage, but not for any of the freedom and equality stuff that LGBT rights activists like to repeat, and I fear that this ruling will only enforce those arguments that LGBT activists propagate. Honestly, I'd much rather people see gay marriage as a necessary evil than a 'right'.

Yeah, I'm just accepting it as something that will (has) inevitably become the norm.

But don't you think it would be more productive if society begins to see gay marriage as simply an interim measure while we look for ways to reduce or even eliminate homosexuality? If we can find an economical 'cure' (in quotes, of course, since homosexuality isn't strictly an illness), gays can be 'straightened' and happily married to people of the opposite sex, and at the end everyone is happy :)

Lolwut
ClashnBoom
Posts: 886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 12:42:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Yay. We Christians have been successfully kicked out of politics. We have failed.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
Varrack
Posts: 2,410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 12:55:51 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 11:05:42 AM, Philocat wrote:
Meh... I'm not too fussed.

If gays want to get married, I don't really care that much to oppose it. I suppose I disagree with it in principle (mainly because of the arrogance of those who support it) but I've got bigger fish to fry - more serious issues that I could care about.

I agree. I'd rather the people decide versus an overriding judicial court that goes past democracy to make decisions. It will have some positive and negative consequences I'm sure, along with the normalization of homosexuality which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you believe.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 2:24:16 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 12:42:30 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:
Yay. We Christians have been successfully kicked out of politics. We have failed.

Christians are not "kicked out" of politics. If you mean you've failed to impose your religious views on others, well, then forgive me for celebrating your "failure".
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 2:25:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 12:55:51 PM, Varrack wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:05:42 AM, Philocat wrote:
Meh... I'm not too fussed.

If gays want to get married, I don't really care that much to oppose it. I suppose I disagree with it in principle (mainly because of the arrogance of those who support it) but I've got bigger fish to fry - more serious issues that I could care about.

I agree. I'd rather the people decide versus an overriding judicial court that goes past democracy to make decisions. It will have some positive and negative consequences I'm sure, along with the normalization of homosexuality which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you believe.

The court addressed the democracy issue in the ruling; it would be good to read it. The short answer is that the majority does not get to decide to limit rights of the minority "just because".
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 2:29:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 12:42:30 PM, ClashnBoom wrote:
Yay. We Christians have been successfully kicked out of politics. We have failed.

Naw, we gays haven't got THAT lucky yet. But I do like the idea. REAL seperation of church and state!!!!!!!!!
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 2:36:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I downloaded and read the entire opinion written by Justice Kennedy. I pretty sure he covered every objection to same sex marriage presented to the court, including "states rights", ability to procreate, "they already have equal rights; they and marry anyone of the opposite sex same as we can", the "ick" factor, religious beliefs..................
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 4:25:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The voice of the people have been heard with regard to this social issue. All 9 of them.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Agent_Orange
Posts: 2,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 4:47:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
America actually did something right today. I'm impressed.

Bonus, I get to watch conservative white people act like children that didn't get their way.
#BlackLivesMatter
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 5:17:59 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 4:47:09 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
America actually did something right today. I'm impressed.

Bonus, I get to watch conservative white people act like children that didn't get their way.

America? What does a court ruling by 9 people have to do with America. The people are what make America. The people did nothing. Nor were they allowed to. If it were a constitutional amendment then ya America would have done something today.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
wsmunit7
Posts: 1,318
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 9:38:35 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 4:47:09 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
America actually did something right today. I'm impressed.

Bonus, I get to watch conservative white people act like children that didn't get their way.

I'm still waiting for Rick Scarborough to make good on his promise to set himself on fire if SCOTUS ruled in favor of SSM. I already got my bag of marshmellows.
Agent_Orange
Posts: 2,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 12:56:27 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 9:38:35 PM, wsmunit7 wrote:
At 6/26/2015 4:47:09 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
America actually did something right today. I'm impressed.

Bonus, I get to watch conservative white people act like children that didn't get their way.

I'm still waiting for Rick Scarborough to make good on his promise to set himself on fire if SCOTUS ruled in favor of SSM. I already got my bag of marshmellows.

Perhaps he needs motivation
https://youtu.be...
#BlackLivesMatter
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 1:36:17 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 5:17:59 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 6/26/2015 4:47:09 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
America actually did something right today. I'm impressed.

Bonus, I get to watch conservative white people act like children that didn't get their way.

America? What does a court ruling by 9 people have to do with America. The people are what make America. The people did nothing. Nor were they allowed to. If it were a constitutional amendment then ya America would have done something today.

Well, a long time ago America was intelligent enough to set up a political system with some semblance of separation of powers, and isolated the judiciary from the outset. It's a pity that most people are too stupid to grasp important concepts like that anymore, and instead scream about 'activist judges' because the Court is disagreeing with them. I mean, it's completely unfeasible that nine Justices would ever disagree with anyone about anything; what rational person could have seen that coming?

The Supreme Court: Because y'all are just too fvcking dumb and lazy to handle unrestrained political power, no matter how much you want it. Thanks, Founding Fathers!
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 1:40:05 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 11:55:57 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:46:31 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:33:28 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:05:42 AM, Philocat wrote:
Meh... I'm not too fussed.

If gays want to get married, I don't really care that much to oppose it. I suppose I disagree with it in principle (mainly because of the arrogance of those who support it) but I've got bigger fish to fry - more serious issues that I could care about.

I actually don't think this change is not negative enough to warrant opposition. I'm actually pro-gay marriage, but not for any of the freedom and equality stuff that LGBT rights activists like to repeat, and I fear that this ruling will only enforce those arguments that LGBT activists propagate. Honestly, I'd much rather people see gay marriage as a necessary evil than a 'right'.

Yeah, I'm just accepting it as something that will (has) inevitably become the norm.

But don't you think it would be more productive if society begins to see gay marriage as simply an interim measure while we look for ways to reduce or even eliminate homosexuality? If we can find an economical 'cure' (in quotes, of course, since homosexuality isn't strictly an illness), gays can be 'straightened' and happily married to people of the opposite sex, and at the end everyone is happy :)

I hope you're joking.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
DollarStoreSushi
Posts: 24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 2:07:08 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I'm very happy. It's already been legal in my state, but it makes me feel extra proud to be American at this point. It's great news.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 2:07:40 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/27/2015 2:07:08 AM, DollarStoreSushi wrote:
I'm very happy. It's already been legal in my state, but it makes me feel extra proud to be American at this point. It's great news.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
DollarStoreSushi
Posts: 24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 2:45:23 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/27/2015 2:07:40 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 6/27/2015 2:07:08 AM, DollarStoreSushi wrote:
I'm very happy. It's already been legal in my state, but it makes me feel extra proud to be American at this point. It's great news.
Philocat
Posts: 728
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 5:27:55 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 11:55:57 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:46:31 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:33:28 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:05:42 AM, Philocat wrote:
Meh... I'm not too fussed.

If gays want to get married, I don't really care that much to oppose it. I suppose I disagree with it in principle (mainly because of the arrogance of those who support it) but I've got bigger fish to fry - more serious issues that I could care about.

I actually don't think this change is not negative enough to warrant opposition. I'm actually pro-gay marriage, but not for any of the freedom and equality stuff that LGBT rights activists like to repeat, and I fear that this ruling will only enforce those arguments that LGBT activists propagate. Honestly, I'd much rather people see gay marriage as a necessary evil than a 'right'.

Yeah, I'm just accepting it as something that will (has) inevitably become the norm.

But don't you think it would be more productive if society begins to see gay marriage as simply an interim measure while we look for ways to reduce or even eliminate homosexuality? If we can find an economical 'cure' (in quotes, of course, since homosexuality isn't strictly an illness), gays can be 'straightened' and happily married to people of the opposite sex, and at the end everyone is happy :)

That would be good, as I'm sure there are loads of gays who would prefer to be straight. However, it would have to be voluntary. I'm against forcibly forcing someone to change their sexuality.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 5:35:22 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/26/2015 11:55:57 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:46:31 AM, Philocat wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:33:28 AM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 6/26/2015 11:05:42 AM, Philocat wrote:
Meh... I'm not too fussed.

If gays want to get married, I don't really care that much to oppose it. I suppose I disagree with it in principle (mainly because of the arrogance of those who support it) but I've got bigger fish to fry - more serious issues that I could care about.

I actually don't think this change is not negative enough to warrant opposition. I'm actually pro-gay marriage, but not for any of the freedom and equality stuff that LGBT rights activists like to repeat, and I fear that this ruling will only enforce those arguments that LGBT activists propagate. Honestly, I'd much rather people see gay marriage as a necessary evil than a 'right'.

Yeah, I'm just accepting it as something that will (has) inevitably become the norm.

But don't you think it would be more productive if society begins to see gay marriage as simply an interim measure while we look for ways to reduce or even eliminate homosexuality? If we can find an economical 'cure' (in quotes, of course, since homosexuality isn't strictly an illness), gays can be 'straightened' and happily married to people of the opposite sex, and at the end everyone is happy :)

Wtf did I just read.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 7:26:19 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/27/2015 1:36:17 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 6/26/2015 5:17:59 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 6/26/2015 4:47:09 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
America actually did something right today. I'm impressed.

Bonus, I get to watch conservative white people act like children that didn't get their way.

America? What does a court ruling by 9 people have to do with America. The people are what make America. The people did nothing. Nor were they allowed to. If it were a constitutional amendment then ya America would have done something today.

Well, a long time ago America was intelligent enough to set up a political system with some semblance of separation of powers, and isolated the judiciary from the outset. It's a pity that most people are too stupid to grasp important concepts like that anymore, and instead scream about 'activist judges' because the Court is disagreeing with them. I mean, it's completely unfeasible that nine Justices would ever disagree with anyone about anything; what rational person could have seen that coming?

The Supreme Court: Because y'all are just too fvcking dumb and lazy to handle unrestrained political power, no matter how much you want it. Thanks, Founding Fathers!

And the difference between the supreme court and the legislative branch of govt is what?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%