Jump to topic:

GayMar. ruling and YouTube's wishful thinking

Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2015 5:11:45 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So, as of right now Gay Marriage has been ruled a right under the 14th Amendment. I'm not here to talk about the legal stuff, or the culture sliding down or up hill. It's time to point out the obvious when you go to the YouTube homepage:

They organize their page into channels recommended for you, and several trending categories, like music videos or baby goat videos or videos of others playing video games. One of the categories is
#LoveWins in Supreme Court Ruling by #PopularOnYouTube
In this row, at this moment, I see:
The White House channel Presidential address on the ruling (321 views)
CNN channel "Watch Obama's phone call to same-sex marriage plantiff" (5816 views)
YouTube Spotlight channel "Proud to Love-Celebrating Marriage Equality and LGBT Pride Month" (161249 views)
and a number of other videos, all related to LGBT and the supreme court ruling, most with only a few thousand or fewer views. About a 1/4 are fewer than 500 views. Many have exactly 301, which is a strangely ubiquitous number when looking at unpopular videos.

The description on the #PopularOnYouTube channel playlist #LoveWins is
"The most popular videos surrounding today"s monumental Supreme Court decision to legalize same-sex marriage in all 50 states not only celebrate love but explain the significance of this law."

YouTube can put just about anything they want on their own site, I don't care. But I find it a good indicator of where Google is and the country actually is. Google, which owns YouTube, made a playlist on their channel for "Popular videos" on a specific issue, but none of the videos besides the "Proud to Love" one are what you could call anything near popular. Maybe this channel should be called "#Popular@YouTubeStaffbutmosteveryoneelsereallydoesn'tcare." If these really are the most popular videos on the issue, and YouTube really is as big as I know it is (some Nikki Minaj videos have 0.5 billion views) Americans apparently really don't care right now.

Why is YouTube putting up videos as popular that obviously aren't? Is it videos they want to be popular? Then it should be "YouTubeStaffPicks". Is this a way of insisting a particular issue SHOULD be popular with it's users? Or just an unmet staff expectation? Why don't they wait for a video to become popular before labeling it as such?

Have any of you noticed this occurring with other "popular" issues on YouTube?
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2015 7:57:26 PM
Well, to be honest, most other issues haven't exploded on social media as widely as this has. While the ones that have have been very tense and not much to celebrate. Also, the 301+ number by the views is the number a video has to hit before YouTube begins regulating the view count, ensuring that refreshing the page doesn't equal duplicate votes. I'm pretty sure that's why there are so many videos, since most if not all, big tech companies have shown their support for the supreme court decision, google probably wouldn't have any convictions about taking the same stance on this. It's big news, even if the videos themselves haven't gotten as many views [but keep an eye on 301+, the view count's been delayed, so those also are most likely in the 5 digits.]
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
fazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 9:36:50 PM
At 6/26/2015 5:11:45 PM, Skynet wrote:
So, as of right now Gay Marriage has been ruled a right under the 14th Amendment. I'm not here to talk about the legal stuff, or the culture sliding down or up hill. It's time to point out the obvious when you go to the YouTube homepage:

They organize their page into channels recommended for you, and several trending categories, like music videos or baby goat videos or videos of others playing video games. One of the categories is
#LoveWins in Supreme Court Ruling by #PopularOnYouTube
In this row, at this moment, I see:
The White House channel Presidential address on the ruling (321 views)
CNN channel "Watch Obama's phone call to same-sex marriage plantiff" (5816 views)
YouTube Spotlight channel "Proud to Love-Celebrating Marriage Equality and LGBT Pride Month" (161249 views)
and a number of other videos, all related to LGBT and the supreme court ruling, most with only a few thousand or fewer views. About a 1/4 are fewer than 500 views. Many have exactly 301, which is a strangely ubiquitous number when looking at unpopular videos.

Youre counting them wrong.

Have any of you noticed this occurring with other "popular" issues on YouTube?

It not the views Google looks at.