Nevada speed proposal

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 10:04:54 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://www.huliq.com...

Pay $25 and you can go 90 miles an hour for 24 hours, and that will supposedly bring an additional 1 Billion $ into the state's coffers.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 10:07:51 AM
At 9/5/2010 10:04:54 AM, innomen wrote:

Pay $25 and you can go 90 miles an hour for 24 hours, and that will supposedly bring an additional 1 Billion $ into the state's coffers.

That doesn't make much sense. Traffic isn't an individual thing - everyone else is involved as well. If only a few people are going 90 mph, and the rest are sticking at around 60, you create a big safety hazard. Plus, would this be enforced on residential and commercial zones with high density? How about school zones? How does this become regulated? How do the officers know? Won't it just add more money and waste more of law enforcement's time to hunt down speeders only to find out they're speeding with a permit?

Just, no. Bad idea, though I suppose the sentiment is in the right place.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 10:11:01 AM

Idiotic. Destructive. But oddly amusing to read. However, paying to break the law... and just creating more deaths and problems for the state is not the answer.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 10:11:27 AM
At 9/5/2010 10:07:51 AM, Volkov wrote:

That doesn't make much sense. Traffic isn't an individual thing - everyone else is involved as well. If only a few people are going 90 mph, and the rest are sticking at around 60, you create a big safety hazard. Plus, would this be enforced on residential and commercial zones with high density? How about school zones? How does this become regulated? How do the officers know? Won't it just add more money and waste more of law enforcement's time to hunt down speeders only to find out they're speeding with a permit?

Just, no. Bad idea, though I suppose the sentiment is in the right place.

I heard about it on the radio this morning, and they said that the state troopers had some serious doubts. I agree with you as an initial proposal it needs some clarifications, or refinements. However, Nevada might be the right place for roads that could accommodate something like this. It would be problematic in my state because of the nature of the roads, and the irregular population densities.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 10:15:20 AM
At 9/5/2010 10:11:27 AM, innomen wrote:
I heard about it on the radio this morning, and they said that the state troopers had some serious doubts. I agree with you as an initial proposal it needs some clarifications, or refinements. However, Nevada might be the right place for roads that could accommodate something like this. It would be problematic in my state because of the nature of the roads, and the irregular population densities.

If they did do it, it'd have to be on rural highways and roads, and set it up basically where you do it when no one else is actually around - like low density traffic. I just think the safety aspect would nix this right away, though.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 10:15:43 AM
I don't really think it's that bad of an idea, except for enforcement. How will people know who has paid the money to go 90 and who has not? It's impractical for cops to stop EVERY person who's speeding.

Aside from that, I don't really see an issue. It will supposedly bring Nevada a lot of money, and it's a willing payment i.e. not forced through taxes. Plus, those who are scared of accidents can avoid driving for one day as much as possible and in return their state will get some much needed cash.

Moreover I think people will be cautious and aware of the drivers not playing along. For instance the left lane is "the fast lane" and I think participating vehicles would try to be considerate and stay to the left. Also, 90 mph isn't THAT fast. I have accidentally gone 100 mph on several occasions when I wasn't paying attention :/ I don't think people will be doing 90 on residential roads, and Nevada's pretty barren aside from Vegas, amirite? Also, if accidents do occur, it's the drivers' fault/problem though I'm not sure how insurance companies will feel about this random policy which would probably affect them.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 10:15:51 AM
"Nevada motorists would be able to pay for the privilege of doing up to 90 miles per hour on certain state roads. "

Probably only motorways.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 10:23:22 AM
I'm guessing that if you're going 90 through the desert it's no big deal. Not sure it's such a great deal though, as TheL says, 90 isn't THAT fast, and for only 24 hours how much of an advantage would you actually have? There are some stretches of road in this country where current limits make no sense at all.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 10:50:27 AM

Pay $25 and you can go 90 miles an hour for 24 hours, and that will supposedly bring an additional 1 Billion $ into the state's coffers.:

This will backfire on the State of Nevada the second some family gets plowed by an pay-to-break-the-law motorist screaming 90 mph around a tight corner.

The extended family will wise up, and sue the cr@p out of the state for facilitating negligence.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 3:02:26 PM
If they're really going to do that, they should just abolish speed limits in general. It would make things a lot easier.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 6:42:32 PM
That's correct: Nevada motorists would be able to pay for the privilege of doing up to 90 miles per hour on certain state roads.
Some people have reading problems.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 6:47:34 PM
At 9/5/2010 6:46:36 PM, badger wrote:
this is just ridiculous. they should sell the right to take drugs :)

well, they should legalise drugs... but it'd be a start.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 6:48:55 PM
At 9/5/2010 6:46:36 PM, badger wrote:
this is just ridiculous. they should sell the legal right to take drugs :)

fix'd
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 6:53:02 PM
i think that'd be a fairly good way to legalise drugs actually. and wouldn't be a bad idea to charge higher for the more life consuming drugs then.
signature
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 7:05:55 PM
i'm guessing the roads they would choose are long stretches of straight highway through the desert.... of which nevada has plenty. the chances of an accident harming anyone but the driver themselves would be minimal. that said, if any innocent people are harmed by this the political fallout will be disastrous...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 7:46:18 PM
At 9/5/2010 3:02:26 PM, mongoose wrote:
If they're really going to do that, they should just abolish speed limits in general. It would make things a lot easier.

The goal is to make money, mongoose. Kind of defeats the purpose, don't you think?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2010 8:18:00 PM
At 9/5/2010 10:15:43 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I don't really think it's that bad of an idea, except for enforcement. How will people know who has paid the money to go 90 and who has not?
Glue a government-made sign to the top of your car.

Make the consequences of counterfeiting it nasty.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 10:02:09 AM
At 9/5/2010 7:46:18 PM, Volkov wrote:

The goal is to make money, mongoose. Kind of defeats the purpose, don't you think?

So why stop there? Why not charge people to go 60? Or 50? Why, they could raise tons setting the limit at 10!
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 11:36:57 AM
At 9/6/2010 10:02:09 AM, mongoose wrote:
So why stop there? Why not charge people to go 60? Or 50? Why, they could raise tons setting the limit at 10!

They could, but why would you give them the idea?
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 11:51:34 AM
At 9/6/2010 11:36:57 AM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/6/2010 10:02:09 AM, mongoose wrote:

They could, but why would you give them the idea?

Well, just because they can do something infringing on liberty to make money doesn't mean that they should.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 11:55:01 AM
I have an idea. We could allow some people to have their lawn mowed, but only if they pay the Texas state government $200 per 24-hour period. It's entirely voluntary. Or, we could allow some people to make an income, but only if they pay the Texas state government twenty percent of it once a year. We could eliminate taxation completely!
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 11:55:01 AM

This.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 11:56:17 AM
At 9/6/2010 11:55:01 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:

This.

Just out of curiosity, do they sell discounted monthly or yearly passes? :D
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 12:05:19 PM
At 9/6/2010 11:51:34 AM, mongoose wrote:
Well, just because they can do something infringing on liberty to make money doesn't mean that they should.

Well, you shouldn't suggest for them to do it then, should you?
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2010 12:11:10 PM
At 9/6/2010 12:05:19 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 9/6/2010 11:51:34 AM, mongoose wrote:

Well, you shouldn't suggest for them to do it then, should you?

These people are running for president. If they suggested implementing it, they wouldn't get elected.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light