Jump to topic:

VW violates clean air Act on 2009+ TDIs

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2015 6:11:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Basically VW had the onboard computer act differently during tests than during real world driving. This resulted in better power and fuel efficiency in real world conditions, but also resulted in larger than allowable NOx emissions.

http://forums.tdiclub.com...

Hitler's reaction:

https://www.youtube.com...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 3:45:39 AM
Yea, it looks like a thing. A real "fudge the programming" thing. Sucks for everyone. Guys that were getting 50mpg are going to get a "fix" that robs power, and reduced efficiency. Not a good day for Audi.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 10:07:33 AM
Th recall is voluntary, so you are going to see a small fraction of people pulling up to buy more expensive fuel for the rest of the life of the car. Heck, they may also hang onto the fudged VW as a collectors item.

Most people believe the EPA is too strict, so they won't pay to do the recall.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 7:46:05 PM
At 9/22/2015 10:07:33 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
Th recall is voluntary, so you are going to see a small fraction of people pulling up to buy more expensive fuel for the rest of the life of the car. Heck, they may also hang onto the fudged VW as a collectors item.

In states like California I would presume it will be mandatory. Really bad call by VW.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 11:21:34 PM
At 9/22/2015 7:46:05 PM, TBR wrote:

In states like California I would presume it will be mandatory. Really bad call by VW.

I agree. Losing public trust kills businesses in a free market.

I wonder if this could spur consumers to demand emission ratings of cars posted next to the MPG ratings so that car makers would compete for the cleaner car?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2015 11:24:22 PM
At 9/22/2015 11:21:34 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/22/2015 7:46:05 PM, TBR wrote:

I agree. Losing public trust kills businesses in a free market.

I wonder if this could spur consumers to demand emission ratings of cars posted next to the MPG ratings so that car makers would compete for the cleaner car?

Not a bad idea... Thing is on these TDIs, that is what they have going for them. If you are getting robbed of the MPG when "tuned" properly, there is little left to love.
KnowledgeGuy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2015 9:58:39 PM
Its going to take some serious grovelling to customers who are green as they have have been ripped off by VW.
It'll be interesting to see how VW worm their way out of this.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 2:29:55 AM
Who cares except the lawyers.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%