Jump to topic:

Charity

fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 8:29:48 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
' Charity begins at home' my grandmother frequently said, but the saying runs contrary to ' I am my brothers keeper'.
Europe is now faced with the problem; high IQ, learned theology, degrees in politics won't solve it.
That brute natural selection or survival of the fittest will.
Those with sensative stomachs , generally small bank accounts are revolted.
I have to salve my conscience by convincing myself I'm.doing my bit.
Secretly patting my own back since I'm not building fences and pointing at those who are doing less.
Oh for some sleep at night perhaps I aught to try praying.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2015 8:38:51 PM
At 9/25/2015 8:29:48 AM, fromantle wrote:
' Charity begins at home' my grandmother frequently said, but the saying runs contrary to ' I am my brothers keeper'.
Europe is now faced with the problem; high IQ, learned theology, degrees in politics won't solve it.
That brute natural selection or survival of the fittest will.
Those with sensative stomachs , generally small bank accounts are revolted.
I have to salve my conscience by convincing myself I'm.doing my bit.
Secretly patting my own back since I'm not building fences and pointing at those who are doing less.
Oh for some sleep at night perhaps I aught to try praying.

wut
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 8:22:49 AM
The point I was trying to make , not very well I fear, is just what charity means and how far should it go?
Its a valid point for us all religious or secular and in Europe we are facing it as nations not just as individuals.
Ultimately its not how much we give but the cost to ourselves. This is perfectly explained in the widows mite story. I suffer from a desperate need to justify my actions, which I tried to explain.
It is well to remember we might be free with our money but misers with our time.
I'm not a professing Christian but that is not important my actions are.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 3:30:27 PM
At 9/30/2015 8:22:49 AM, fromantle wrote:
The point I was trying to make , not very well I fear, is just what charity means and how far should it go?
Its a valid point for us all religious or secular and in Europe we are facing it as nations not just as individuals.
Ultimately its not how much we give but the cost to ourselves. This is perfectly explained in the widows mite story. I suffer from a desperate need to justify my actions, which I tried to explain.
It is well to remember we might be free with our money but misers with our time.
I'm not a professing Christian but that is not important my actions are.

The poor you will always have, until they perfect genetic cloning and artificial manipulation of biospheres. No matter how much you give, there will always be some measure inherent inequality that can never, ever be sated by any amount of charity.