Students visit a mosque on fieldtrp

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:29:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
http://www.prnewswire.com...

This has caused a bit of a stir here. I could only imagine coming home from school and telling my mother that this went on. Actually, my friend Steve Karshbaum and his mother, now that would have been something to hear.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:35:32 PM
When you visit a Christian Church it's customary and respectful to pray with Christians even if you're not one, or at least show respect in some form. Wuts the issue?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:35:43 PM
That's awesome that they would do that. Of course most people would just like our schools to teach nothing but Christianity and pull the wool over the kids' eyes about other religions... Then they end up thinking it's either Christianity or nothing and end up going goth and piercing themselves to try and express themselves anyway they can.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:36:51 PM
It could be a good educational experience(I once visited a Sikh temple as a school trip in 8th grade), but I'm thinking they should choose the less radical mosques.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:37:36 PM
At 9/17/2010 12:35:32 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
When you visit a Christian Church it's customary and respectful to pray with Christians even if you're not one, or at least show respect in some form. Wuts the issue?

We have a little thing about church and public schools. There is a bit of a problem with mixing them.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:40:46 PM
At 9/17/2010 12:37:36 PM, innomen wrote:

We have a little thing about church and public schools. There is a bit of a problem with mixing them.

If it was part of a religious education course then there's no issue. I'm against the government intervening in the economy but I'm not gonna prevent students studying business from visiting some companies.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:47:05 PM
At 9/17/2010 12:40:46 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

If it was part of a religious education course then there's no issue. I'm against the government intervening in the economy but I'm not gonna prevent students studying business from visiting some companies.

Yeah, i don't think you really get how it is here with this stuff, this is really verboten. Huge uproar in the area. How do you think it would be for muslims to be taken to a synagogue and pray with a yarmulke? Do you think that the muslim parents would be a little irritated. Even if they were taken to a Catholic church, or protestant church there would be an uproar.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:49:13 PM
At 9/17/2010 12:47:05 PM, innomen wrote:

Yeah, i don't think you really get how it is here with this stuff, this is really verboten. Huge uproar in the area. How do you think it would be for muslims to be taken to a synagogue and pray with a yarmulke? Do you think that the muslim parents would be a little irritated. Even if they were taken to a Catholic church, or protestant church there would be an uproar.

Well they should at least accept it. It's a good way to learn and understand other faiths. In fact, when(and if) I have children I'll certainly encourage them to explore other faiths and visit their places or worship to learn more. I'm not sure how that's a problem.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:49:29 PM

Don't trips need a parents express permission beforehand to go?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:49:33 PM
At 9/17/2010 12:49:13 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Well they should at least accept it. It's a good way to learn and understand other faiths. In fact, when(and if) I have children I'll certainly encourage them to explore other faiths and visit their places or worship to learn more. I'm not sure how that's a problem.

*of
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:59:52 PM
At 9/17/2010 12:49:29 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

The parents didn't realize that there would be praying going on. I think a lot of parents weren't paying enough attention. The school has been profusely apologetic. Wellesley is a very PC and very snotty town.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 1:06:32 PM
At 9/17/2010 12:59:52 PM, innomen wrote:

The parents didn't realize that there would be praying going on. I think a lot of parents weren't paying enough attention. The school has been profusely apologetic. Wellesley is a very PC and very snotty town.

Parents fault for short sightedness plus schools fault for stupidity. I'm not against the idea, but if a parent is a-okay with their kid visiting a mosque, what's the issue with praying in one?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 1:15:59 PM
At 9/17/2010 1:06:32 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Parents fault for short sightedness plus schools fault for stupidity. I'm not against the idea, but if a parent is a-okay with their kid visiting a mosque, what's the issue with praying in one?

It's a really touchy issue here. The big problem that many have is the double standard that goes on. Having students from a public school pray at a mosque is okay, but a Christmas tree in the town square is not allowed. If the students were brought to a Christian church well it would just be unthinkable. Prayer in school is strictly forbidden but this is okay?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 1:35:29 PM
At 9/17/2010 1:15:59 PM, innomen wrote:

It's a really touchy issue here. The big problem that many have is the double standard that goes on. Having students from a public school pray at a mosque is okay, but a Christmas tree in the town square is not allowed. If the students were brought to a Christian church well it would just be unthinkable.

I recognise Christmas as a public, non-religious holiday. No issues with a Christmas tree so long as religious paraphernalia such as an angel or a crib isn't present.

Prayer in school is strictly forbidden but this is okay?

Prayer in school usually means taking time out of what could be a useful learning experience and having teachers dictate prayer. This is an optional educational trip where prayer was part of the experience.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 1:41:47 PM
At 9/17/2010 12:33:19 PM, Koopin wrote:
If I knew we had to go, I would wear a T-shirt that said ' I Heart Bacon.'

I would bring some bacon and eat it while we were there.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 1:53:29 PM
At 9/17/2010 1:42:41 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 9/17/2010 1:41:47 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Is it a joke?

Yes, a tasty one! :)

Though... if I were on such a trip... if it were early enough... I just might bring a Bacon, or sausage Egg and cheese... without even thinking about it...

That would be awesome!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 1:54:19 PM
At 9/17/2010 1:35:29 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/17/2010 1:15:59 PM, innomen wrote:

It's a really touchy issue here. The big problem that many have is the double standard that goes on. Having students from a public school pray at a mosque is okay, but a Christmas tree in the town square is not allowed. If the students were brought to a Christian church well it would just be unthinkable.

I recognise Christmas as a public, non-religious holiday. No issues with a Christmas tree so long as religious paraphernalia such as an angel or a crib isn't present.

Prayer in school is strictly forbidden but this is okay?

Prayer in school usually means taking time out of what could be a useful learning experience and having teachers dictate prayer. This is an optional educational trip where prayer was part of the experience.

It's entirely political, and i don't think you guys over there could quite get that.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 1:55:05 PM
Is it a joke?

No.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 1:55:43 PM
At 9/17/2010 1:53:29 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Is it a joke?

Though... if I were on such a trip... if it were early enough... I just might bring a Bacon, or sausage Egg and cheese... without even thinking about it...

That would be awesome!

No, it would be disrespectful. The least you could do if you must bring one is eat it outside the mosque.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 1:57:14 PM
At 9/17/2010 1:55:43 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/17/2010 1:53:29 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Is it a joke?

That would be awesome!

No, it would be disrespectful. The least you could do if you must bring one is eat it outside the mosque.

no... i said w/o thinking about it...

Like if i had it in a bag... then got hungry... took it out...s and ate it while all the muslims mouths watered at the Delicious, forbidden, odor :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 1:59:49 PM
At 9/17/2010 1:57:08 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 9/17/2010 1:55:05 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
No.
Maybe they should go to your house and urinate, then. Do you find that acceptable?

If they think it's acceptable for me to let my dog loose on them.

I wouldn't eat bacon in a mosque unless I was forced to go on the field trip to the mosque. If I went to a mosque specifically to be disrespectful, that would be different.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 1:59:58 PM
No.
Maybe they should go to your house and urinate, then. Do you find that acceptable?

If I invited them, I'd certainly allow them to urinate.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 2:00:48 PM
At 9/17/2010 1:59:58 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
No.

If I invited them, I'd certainly allow them to urinate.

most houses come fully equipped for such things...

Metaphysics:
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 2:01:37 PM
At 9/17/2010 1:59:49 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
If they think it's acceptable for me to let my dog loose on them.
They "could" just end up being a bit more scary if they got angry.

I wouldn't eat bacon in a mosque unless I was forced to go on the field trip to the mosque. If I went to a mosque specifically to be disrespectful, that would be different.
Not the scenario I referred to, nor is it justified. As long as the mosque does not force you to, you have no right to be a disrespectful mocker there.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 2:04:28 PM
Is the field trip required?

If not then who really gives a ****?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.