Jump to topic:

Major Earthquake in Afghanistan and Pakistan

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/26/2015 10:37:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Over 260 people, including a dozen schoolgirls who were trampled trying to evacuate the Bibi Hajira School, died today in Pakistan and Afghanistan after a 7.5 earthquake struck Afghanistan's northeastern border. 1,500 people are feared dead and over 4,000 are feared to be injured. Afghanistan's State Minister for Disaster Management Affairs, Wais Ahmad Barmak, at least 4,000 homes have been destroyed. Tragically, those numbers are only expected to grow, as most of the areas with the worst damage are secluded or difficult to access.

The earthquake occurred deep underground (200km or 125 miles) in the Hindu Kush mountains, so while the damage was not as drastic as it could have been, it was catastrophic nonetheless. Tremors reached as far as northern India. Pakistan's Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif is cutting short his trip to the United States and heading home, to offer what support he can.

This is not the first time earthquakes have devastated the region. In 2005, a 7.6 quake in Kashmir killed or injured 75,000 people. And just this past April, a quake in Nepal claimed nearly 9,000 casualties. Many citizens in Delhi, as well as CNN's producer in Kabul (resident of 30 years), claimed that they'd never experienced anything like this before, testifying to the devastating power this earthquake unleashed, despite its occuring deep underground.

The U.S. Geological Survey issued an orange alert, meaning that while outside help may be required, a whole international effort is not necessary. Nevertheless, today our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. Despite your opinion of Afghanistan or Pakistan, this is a horrific tragedy, and I hate seeing it be completely neglected here.

Numerous humanitarian organizations are already on-site trying to provide assistance. If you'd like to help, you can donate at any of their websites.

The Afghan Red Crescent Society: http://www.redcrescent.af...

Concern Worldwide US: https://secure2.convio.net...

Doctors Without Borders: https://donate.doctorswithoutborders.org...

Again, my thoughts and prayers are with all affected parties, and I hope peace returns to the region soon.
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 2:24:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 10/26/2015 10:37:13 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Again, my thoughts and prayers are with all affected parties, and I hope peace returns to the region soon.

Likewise.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW