Jump to topic:

US Navy Ship Enters Disputed Waters

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 1:30:57 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
The USS Lassen, an Arleigh Burke Class missile-guided destroyer, entered waters surrounding disputed islands in the South China Sea Tuesday (though where I live it was more like late Monday). It came within 12 miles of an island in the South China Sea claimed by China. The island in question was normally submerged at high tide, but China's island-building activities have resulted in the island (and many other islands in the area) becoming more or less a normal island. China claims the Spratly Islands and states that it has sovereignty over the waters surrounding these islands. The US claims that since these islands were built up by China, it's cheating and China shouldn't be counted as owning the waters surrounding these islands, nor the islands themselves.
Thoughts?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2015 6:38:29 PM
At 10/27/2015 1:30:57 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The USS Lassen, an Arleigh Burke Class guided missile destroyer, entered waters surrounding disputed islands in the South China Sea Tuesday (though where I live it was more like late Monday). It came within 12 miles of an island in the South China Sea claimed by China. The island in question was normally submerged at high tide, but China's island-building activities have resulted in the island (and many other islands in the area) becoming more or less a normal island. China claims the Spratly Islands and states that it has sovereignty over the waters surrounding these islands. The US claims that since these islands were built up by China, it's cheating and China shouldn't be counted as owning the waters surrounding these islands, nor the islands themselves.
Thoughts?

Fixed
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
SamStevens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2015 5:19:26 AM
At 10/27/2015 1:30:57 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
The USS Lassen, an Arleigh Burke Class missile-guided destroyer, entered waters surrounding disputed islands in the South China Sea Tuesday (though where I live it was more like late Monday). It came within 12 miles of an island in the South China Sea claimed by China. The island in question was normally submerged at high tide, but China's island-building activities have resulted in the island (and many other islands in the area) becoming more or less a normal island. China claims the Spratly Islands and states that it has sovereignty over the waters surrounding these islands. The US claims that since these islands were built up by China, it's cheating and China shouldn't be counted as owning the waters surrounding these islands, nor the islands themselves.
Thoughts?

I concur with the US. In my opinion, it looks like China is just trying to stir up drama and stake claims in the disputed waters.
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."