Jump to topic:

A really good example of why...

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 10:49:08 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Oh I see... City Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan.

Well I'm going to e-mail and/or call her right now and give her a piece of my mind!
President of DDO
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 10:50:48 AM
Dunno, although that sort of funding would need someone's approval, or so i would assume, it seems to be pushed forward by: "City Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan believes that, while costly, new signage is a way to share the "I love New York" spirit. Sadik-Khan said, "On the Internet, writing in all caps means you are shouting…the new diminutive signs…feature new reflective sheeting," which could "reflect a kinder, gentler New York." "
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 11:06:13 AM
At 10/2/2010 11:03:54 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I just submitted a formal complaint to the NYC Transportation Department on the matter.

Someone needed to... Thank you.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 11:14:30 AM
I just submitted a formal complaint to the NYC Transportation Department on the matter.

Seriously?
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 11:24:12 AM
At 10/2/2010 11:14:30 AM, innomen wrote:

Seriously?

It sounds like something L would do.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 11:29:35 AM

Seriously?

Of course I am...

http://tinypic.com...

Being a Libertarian on the internet doesn't accomplish much these days... The government gets away with these things because nobody calls them on their sh!t.

I'm from NYC, and my best friend just completed her Masters in Education thinking she'd become a teacher. Mayor Bloomberg not only cut thousands of teaching jobs but said there won't be any openings until at LEAST 2012. Then, those that lost their jobs are getting hired first... meaning there is a wait list of thousands and thousands before my friend can even hope for an interview! That means her entire education (well, the degree) has been a complete waste of her time and Dean's List effort let alone thousands and thousands of dollars she has no way of paying back. Meanwhile, conservative Bloomberg appointed the Commissioner that backs this whole heartedly. It's a travesty and if people don't speak up all the forum rants and Ron Paul avatars in the world won't get anything accomplished. Plus I left all of my contact information and said that I expect any proponent from the department in avocation of the change should respond to me immediately and defend this absurdity directly by being held accountable to the citizens that pay their salary (fortunately I still have a NY phone number and address lol).
President of DDO
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 11:37:54 AM
At 10/2/2010 11:29:35 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Being a Libertarian on the internet doesn't accomplish much these days... The government gets away with these things because nobody calls them on their sh!t.

I'm from NYC, and my best friend just completed her Masters in Education thinking she'd become a teacher. Mayor Bloomberg not only cut thousands of teaching jobs but said there won't be any openings until at LEAST 2012. Then, those that lost their jobs are getting hired first... meaning there is a wait list of thousands and thousands before my friend can even hope for an interview! That means her entire education (well, the degree) has been a complete waste of her time and Dean's List effort let alone thousands and thousands of dollars she has no way of paying back. Meanwhile, conservative Bloomberg appointed the Commissioner that backs this whole heartedly. It's a travesty and if people don't speak up all the forum rants and Ron Paul avatars in the world won't get anything accomplished. Plus I left all of my contact information and said that I expect any proponent from the department in avocation of the change should respond to me immediately and defend this absurdity directly by being held accountable to the citizens that pay their salary (fortunately I still have a NY phone number and address lol).

Bravo. I'm curious how many people here actually get involved like that. I've given Mark Schauer's office (Michigan 7th District Congressman) an earful on multiple occasions and written a couple of angry letters to our scumbag senators.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 11:39:12 AM
At 10/2/2010 11:29:35 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Seriously?

Of course I am...

http://tinypic.com...

I am impressed and humbled. You're right, just bi+ching on the internet doesn't do much compared to a little activism once in a while. Good for you. BTW i don't consider this a conservative thing, or liberal thing, but a government thing. This nonsense happens on both sides, but maybe a little differently.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 11:40:13 AM
I'm going to wait until I design and execute an enormously televised rally that transcends the walls of ignorance and displays our acknowledgement of this government's sh!t.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 11:49:08 AM
At 10/2/2010 11:40:13 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I'm going to wait until I design and execute an enormously televised rally that transcends the walls of ignorance and displays our acknowledgement of this government's sh!t.

Is Glenn Beck in the room?
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 11:49:59 AM
At 10/2/2010 11:49:08 AM, innomen wrote:
At 10/2/2010 11:40:13 AM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:

Is Glenn Beck in the room?

I am not one of his supporters.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 11:59:57 AM
Kenyon - Did they write you back? I recently wrote this guy an e-mail... I don't think he's a politician but he works closely with them (ugh I wish I could remember his exact title) and he's also a political commentator with a radio show, etc. He was some black guy discussing why gay rights are not civil rights (it was absurd). He responded with the most ignorant e-mail possible complete with horrible spelling and grammar and overall rejection of my message, adding that nobody cares what I say in addition to a few other insults (yet no rebuttal to even one thing I said). Had he been running for office I'm sure his response would have been a bit different lol but I've bookmarked it in my e-mail just in case he ever tries ;)

Innomen - Hopefully I didn't come across as condemning you or other Libertarians here -- it's just that like it or not we have a big ol' government lol fortunately one that we can openly criticize and partake in, so we should whenever possible. I don't see the guvmint going away any time soon (sorry Sieben) so we should probably help shape it as best we can. Bloomberg, I'm sure you know, is a billionaire politician (Forbes ranked him #17 on the list of billionaires) so he allegedly manages the NYC budget as he would a corporation (or at least that was the promise and incentive to vote for him). Do you think Bloomberg would do this for his own company? Obviously not, so he needs to be called out on it. If you can justify not only the effects on teachers (including job loss, cut pensions, etc.) but the impact on education then he and his appointees should be able to better justify this ridiculous policy or at least put it to a public vote.
President of DDO
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 12:03:21 PM
At 10/2/2010 11:59:57 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Kenyon - Did they write you back? I recently wrote this guy an e-mail... I don't think he's a politician but he works closely with them (ugh I wish I could remember his exact title) and he's also a political commentator with a radio show, etc. He was some black guy discussing why gay rights are not civil rights (it was absurd). He responded with the most ignorant e-mail possible complete with horrible spelling and grammar and overall rejection of my message, adding that nobody cares what I say in addition to a few other insults (yet no rebuttal to even one thing I said). Had he been running for office I'm sure his response would have been a bit different lol but I've bookmarked it in my e-mail just in case he ever tries ;)

I wrote them about the healthcare bill, they just responded with some form letter.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 12:05:35 PM
At 10/2/2010 11:59:57 AM, theLwerd wrote:

Innomen - Hopefully I didn't come across as condemning you or other Libertarians here -- it's just that like it or not we have a big ol' government lol fortunately one that we can openly criticize and partake in, so we should whenever possible. I don't see the guvmint going away any time soon (sorry Sieben) so we should probably help shape it as best we can. Bloomberg, I'm sure you know, is a billionaire politician (Forbes ranked him #17 on the list of billionaires) so he allegedly manages the NYC budget as he would a corporation (or at least that was the promise and incentive to vote for him). Do you think Bloomberg would do this for his own company? Obviously not, so he needs to be called out on it. If you can justify not only the effects on teachers (including job loss, cut pensions, etc.) but the impact on education then he and his appointees should be able to better justify this ridiculous policy or at least put it to a public vote.

Not at all. I'm in complete agreement with you on your action and attitude. I've become a bit complacent and that's probably not so good. There was a time when i was more involved, and perhaps i should revisit that. I don't necessarily consider Bloomberg a conservative, and i think being conservative is irrelevant. I do think that there is some answer and that is more local involvement.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 12:11:50 PM
Another thing I just thought about...

After 9/11 we put up ADDITIONAL street signs. Every lost life from the WTC got a street named after them, as in the street that they lived on now has two signs - the real street name and then the memorial name. It's actually really distracting, or at least far more so than capital letters! This means that these unnecessary and useless signs should be dismantled too. Maybe they can be sold to the family members (if they choose) to raise funds for NYC. Woot. It's funny though that NY'ers probably didn't care about the money spent here (over 3,200 signs at 110$ a piece = 352,000) when they'd probably flip their sh!t if they were informed enough to know about the new sign policy. Then again that figure is a lot less than 25 million, and plus NY'ers are particularly emotional about that whole debacle :|
President of DDO
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 12:15:57 PM
At 10/2/2010 12:11:50 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Another thing I just thought about...

After 9/11 we put up ADDITIONAL street signs. Every lost life from the WTC got a street named after them, as in the street that they lived on now has two signs - the real street name and then the memorial name. It's actually really distracting, or at least far more so than capital letters! This means that these unnecessary and useless signs should be dismantled too. Maybe they can be sold to the family members (if they choose) to raise funds for NYC. Woot. It's funny though that NY'ers probably didn't care about the money spent here (over 3,200 signs at 110$ a piece = 352,000) when they'd probably flip their sh!t if they were informed enough to know about the new sign policy. Then again that figure is a lot less than 25 million, and plus NY'ers are particularly emotional about that whole debacle :|

And it's not 2001. Things have changed a lot, and people are more aware and looking for this crap. We get it, now we have to bang it into the heads of those who spend the money.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 12:22:22 PM
At 10/2/2010 12:03:21 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
I wrote them about the healthcare bill, they just responded with some form letter.

Samesies. I've been trying to get involved by joining forces with SSDP - Students for Sensible Drug Policy. One of the things we're working on in our town in particular is making it so that people who bring others into the hospital for a drug or alcohol overdose don't get punished. As it stands, many times people avoid seeking help because they don't want to be penalized for underage drinking or illegal possession (I've had first hand experience with this living in two college towns). The result is people dying to avoid a slap on the wrist misdemeanor. It seems silly but it's actually a pretty pressing issue and one that could easily be avoided or at least appropriately amended.

To Innomen - Don't feel bad; college is the time to get involved lol people in the real world are too busy and distracted by their own problems (or mostly just tired and/or have become apathetic) -- Nobody wants to start fighting for change after a hard day's work lol I can understand that. Unfortunately taking another year off school gives me nothing but time (it's not as if a minimum wage job is that compelling). Though this complacency among the labor force is exactly why our government has expanded to the monstrosity it is today, which is why people need to keep the govt. in check and not dismiss college kids as frivolous idealistic liberals but legitimate actors in government. Obama was elected largely due to the influence and involvement of young people -- I'm not quite sure why young Libertarians haven't been able to rally the same support or awareness. Probably because the joke is "Libertarians only exist on the internet" lol it's for the socially awkward ;) No wonder they want to be left alone ;)
President of DDO
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 12:36:11 PM
At 10/2/2010 12:22:22 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 10/2/2010 12:03:21 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Samesies. I've been trying to get involved by joining forces with SSDP - Students for Sensible Drug Policy. One of the things we're working on in our town in particular is making it so that people who bring others into the hospital for a drug or alcohol overdose don't get punished. As it stands, many times people avoid seeking help because they don't want to be penalized for underage drinking or illegal possession (I've had first hand experience with this living in two college towns). The result is people dying to avoid a slap on the wrist misdemeanor. It seems silly but it's actually a pretty pressing issue and one that could easily be avoided or at least appropriately amended.

To Innomen - Don't feel bad; college is the time to get involved lol people in the real world are too busy and distracted by their own problems (or mostly just tired and/or have become apathetic) -- Nobody wants to start fighting for change after a hard day's work lol I can understand that. Unfortunately taking another year off school gives me nothing but time (it's not as if a minimum wage job is that compelling). Though this complacency among the labor force is exactly why our government has expanded to the monstrosity it is today, which is why people need to keep the govt. in check and not dismiss college kids as frivolous idealistic liberals but legitimate actors in government. Obama was elected largely due to the influence and involvement of young people -- I'm not quite sure why young Libertarians haven't been able to rally the same support or awareness. Probably because the joke is "Libertarians only exist on the internet" lol it's for the socially awkward ;) No wonder they want to be left alone ;)

When i was in college i ran for local office and won. It was a very local thing, i represented a few neighborhoods in my home town. I was re-elected and put on the executive committee. It was good to get that experience, and if i were to do it now, i would be far more effective because my presentation skills are much better now after my years in sales. I think about it, but the thought of sitting through those mind numbingly boring council meetings (gratis) just doesn't fill me with enthusiasm. Have you ever thought of getting involved? Running?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 1:43:49 PM
I'm pretty sure I heard on Fox News that it's in order to comply with some Federal Mandate for street signs that's in the health-care bill :P
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 3:58:08 PM
At 10/2/2010 12:36:11 PM, innomen wrote:
Have you ever thought of getting involved? Running?

Nah because there's no way I could ever win, so I'd rather not waste the time (effort) and money even trying. Maybe if I were a little more discreet on the internet about my recreational activities I could have stood a chance lol.

But that's awesome! I definitely want to be very involved locally when I get a house. Maybe I'd run for the city council but nothing beyond that.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2010 3:58:32 PM
At 10/2/2010 1:43:49 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I'm pretty sure I heard on Fox News that it's in order to comply with some Federal Mandate for street signs that's in the health-care bill :P

lol F the health care bill.
President of DDO