Jump to topic:

Pastor Fred Phelps

adealornodeal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 12:21:51 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Does Pastor Fred Phelps have the right to picket the funerals of dead soldiers? Does the Constitution protect his right to picket or forbid him from committing emotional terrorism? Should more legal action be taken against Fred Phelps? If he DOES have the right to picket, why? If he does NOT have the right to picket, what kind of amendments are necessary to our founding documents?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 2:13:13 AM
Pastor Fred Phelps - is a very bad man. So, i believe he should be allowed to peacefully protest outside the perimeter of a private gathering without disrupting or permeating in anyway a private ceremony of a private citizen.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 2:16:19 AM
At 10/9/2010 12:21:51 AM, adealornodeal wrote:
Does Pastor Fred Phelps have the right to picket the funerals of dead soldiers?

Private affairs, so I'd say no.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 8:44:26 AM
Does Pastor Fred Phelps have the right to picket the funerals of dead soldiers? Does the Constitution protect his right to picket or forbid him from committing emotional terrorism? Should more legal action be taken against Fred Phelps? If he DOES have the right to picket, why? If he does NOT have the right to picket, what kind of amendments are necessary to our founding documents?

It ought to be the given State's prerogative to pass laws on the matter... But For the 14th amendment.

now... it was well intentioned... but it gave ALL the "rights" that the citizens had in the eyes of the FED. GOVT. (those the FEDS had to respect) to the people in relation to the States....

this would prohibit the state from touching Free speech...

which wouldn't be so bad... BUT it also OUGHT to make it unconstitutional for any given state to Enforce ANYTHING on ANYONE in a manner that goes beyond what the constitution Explicitly says that the Feds have the power to do.

now... this isn't how it ended up (though that's what it Should have meant) and Instead we end up with an amendment whose Bad interpretation Rests on the forgetting about the 9th and tenth amendments completely...

the "rights" of the people are taken to be all explicitly laid out... and THOSE must be respected... WHEREAS IN REALITY it was made clear that the People's Rights were not all listed out AND COULD not plausibly be so laid out... as they were SOOO numerous... and they made CLEAR that the Explicit mention of SOME was NOT to imply the non-existence of those others...

AND.. to protect the others.. the Feds were not to act beyond what the constitution Specifically says they can do... for if they acted IN ANY OTHER WAY they'd be violating the rights of some people.

Now.. when the State's are said to Also HAVE TO respect people's Constitutional rights... It was essentially the Nail in the coffin for the CORRECT interpretation... for If states WERE to attempt to respect ALL of the people's Constitutional Rights... then they would have to LIMIT the State Govt's role to Exactly what the Fed's can do... AND the Fed's would have Dibs on those type actions anyways...

SO... the correct interpretation of the 9th, 10th, and 14th amendment would make the states little agents of the Fed Govt... and would Properly be displaced by the Fed... if the Federal Government ever sought to carry out the acts that the states had been carrying out.

INSTEAD... what actually happened is the understanding of people having a Multitude Of Unnamed Rights which HAVE to be respected (by limited Govt action)
was TOSSED... and For Convenience (and b/c people are stupid and don't read the constitution... or Plain Don't Care) the idea that Peoples "constitutional" rights were all laid out nice short, easy, and explicitly... and can be respected W/O limiting Govt. to what was EXPLICITLY said to be it's roles.... was taken up.

so now.... the States cannot restrict "free speech" though agents of the Federal government can restrict all sorts of actions you might take... despite the fact that they'd be breaking constitutional law.

now... MOST of this rant is Really not relevant to your thread... but your thread triggered it!... so too bad.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Kangetsu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 6:54:11 PM
If he has the right to do that then the friends and family of the person that's being burried should have the right to punch him the face. But that's just what i'd do.
To show the truth and truth only, to live by it and to die by it.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 9:39:50 AM
Does Pastor Fred Phelps have the right to picket the funerals of dead soldiers? Does the Constitution protect his right to picket or forbid him from committing emotional terrorism? Should more legal action be taken against Fred Phelps? If he DOES have the right to picket, why? If he does NOT have the right to picket, what kind of amendments are necessary to our founding documents?:

Of course he has the right to picket provided one right does not in turn violate another in the process. He has the right to say whatever he wants, but he can't just walk in to people's homes to start saying whatever he wants.

The courts will likely rule that a funeral is a private function, and to intrude on their space is therefore illegal.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 10:46:52 AM
Does Pastor Fred Phelps have the right to picket the funerals of dead soldiers?:

I'd love to know what kind of bullsh!t logic he's employing to even justify is presence there, I know the guy's famously homophobic (perhaps even fabulously homophobic if I wanted to take the piss) and I know he's generally a bigoted moron that can't even rally his own family under his arbitrary view on god and the world, much less total strangers, but I fail to see what any of that has to do with the death of a soldier.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 11:03:39 AM
At 10/11/2010 10:46:52 AM, Veridas wrote:
Does Pastor Fred Phelps have the right to picket the funerals of dead soldiers?:

I'd love to know what kind of bullsh!t logic he's employing to even justify is presence there, I know the guy's famously homophobic (perhaps even fabulously homophobic if I wanted to take the piss) and I know he's generally a bigoted moron that can't even rally his own family under his arbitrary view on god and the world, much less total strangers, but I fail to see what any of that has to do with the death of a soldier.

His logic is that the soldiers are fighting for a country that is pro homosexual and they are fighting for homosexuality to be spread throughout the world. That the US is hated by God because it is turning toward homosexuality, and they are in the service of that cause.

In reality there should be no lawsuit but rather some sort of investigation to see if he should be locked up in a mental institution for severe paranoia and suffering from delusions.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 7:20:12 AM
At 10/11/2010 11:03:39 AM, innomen wrote:
At 10/11/2010 10:46:52 AM, Veridas wrote:

His logic is that the soldiers are fighting for a country that is pro homosexual and they are fighting for homosexuality to be spread throughout the world. That the US is hated by God because it is turning toward homosexuality, and they are in the service of that cause.

In reality there should be no lawsuit but rather some sort of investigation to see if he should be locked up in a mental institution for severe paranoia and suffering from delusions.

That is so retarded I think it gave me an aneurism, brb, hospital.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 4:19:52 AM
He should be drawn and quartered.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 11:23:07 AM
At 10/20/2010 4:19:52 AM, tvellalott wrote:
He should be drawn and quartered.

lol.

Make him hold up a sign that says "God hates bigots" too.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 2:10:27 PM
I'm really beginning to wonder if he has even read his Bible. Jesus says to forgive and turn the other cheek.
I miss the old members.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2010 2:12:28 PM
At 10/20/2010 2:10:27 PM, Atheism wrote:
I'm really beginning to wonder if he has even read his Bible. Jesus says to forgive and turn the other cheek.

I doubt alot of fundamentalists actually read the Bible. They just follow and go by what they're taught by others.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 10:11:28 AM
"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." springs to mind for me.

I understand everyone thinks this should be stopped because he's a J@ck@ss, and that's true, but comparing incident like these to the millions of separate incidences of free speech, press, and assembly being used in non-d^cky way keeps its merit. People are too negative.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2010 10:13:38 AM
He should be caught and stoned for a few hours and then thrown off a cliff in Grand Canyon (although I would prefer Mount Everest, but that's not in his nation).