Jump to topic:

A Slightly Better World Vol I

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 1:22:06 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
A user told me a little while ago (TheFlex, I believe) that I should regularly post bits of positive news to share. It seems like such a small thing, but I deeply and sincerely agree. When we look at the world, especially through the distant lens of the Internet, it's so easy to be critical. Removed. Cynical. One doesn't have to look far to find stories of disease, violence, tragedy, or even downright lunacy.

I know this isn't the most popular forum, but I'm taking this advice to heart. On a weekly basis (or so I will try to do - the next three weeks will see me in Germany, so my Internet access may be spotty), I will be sharing a few news stories designed to share and promote, as the title betrays, a slightly better world. Here and in future updates I'll be posting and briefly discussing small, small improvements to the world. Why? Because I think we can use a bit of good news. I think we can, every now and again, use a little reminder that not everything is dark and bleak and terrible. The smallest change can make the biggest difference.

So without further ado, here are a few positives occurring in the world.

We'll start with something big: The Cop21 conference in Paris. On Saturday, 196 countries came to an agreement regarding the future of the world and climate change. They all agreed to keep the rise of the average global temperature below 2 degrees Celsius. Several pieces of the treaty rely on voluntary action, but that's not necessarily a weakness. Many believe it marks a step forward from the belief in the past that treaties could be legally binding and effective. This time, countries are allowed to retain their sense of sovereignty. They can decide their own emissions limits. Perhaps more importantly, the document also sets provisions for assisting developing countries with alternative energy programs.

http://www.latimes.com...

India and Chile, for example, have reached the point where solar energy is the cheapest option available. The costs of solar power have continued to decrease across the world, and companies/businesses are already shifting to accommodate. The U.S.-based SunEdison, the biggest renewable energy company in the world, as well as numerous others, have been investing heavily into the future of solar power in India and elsewhere. Even if you don't believe in the effects of climate change, this still constitutes good news because of the widely recognized limits of fossil fuels.

http://www.energypost.eu...

The conference in Paris set provisions for the participating countries to review and strengthen their commitments every five years, as well as holding a check-up meeting in 2018. Kind of like going to the doctor's, except...no, it's exactly like that.

Between the dropping prices for solar power and a worldwide commitment to renewable sources of energy, it seems, even if ever so slightly, people are remembering to treat the world as what it is: our home.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 1:39:32 AM
I enjoy the idea of this thread. I will contribute when I can.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 1:53:04 AM
At 12/19/2015 1:22:06 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

I think we had representatives from T&T. We have a Youth Committee actually, who are supposed to do research and stuff on it...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 1:58:14 AM
At 12/19/2015 1:39:32 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I enjoy the idea of this thread. I will contribute when I can.

Thank you, Maikuru. I would be delighted for any contributions you make.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 1:59:11 AM
At 12/19/2015 1:53:04 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

I think we had representatives from T&T. We have a Youth Committee actually, who are supposed to do research and stuff on it...

Really? On solar power? That's impressive. I love how much all of you seem to take that on.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 2:04:09 AM
At 12/19/2015 1:59:11 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 12/19/2015 1:53:04 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Really? On solar power? That's impressive. I love how much all of you seem to take that on.

I meant reps from T&T going to the conference. But, I do know that they were making a solar-powered run house in UWI. IDK how far that'll be gone through with, since there's been a change in government, but we'll see.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 2:09:07 AM
India and Chile, for example, have reached the point where solar energy is the cheapest option available.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the BJP gov't in India. They're too busy holding political prisoners and turning a blind eye to increasing caste violence.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 2:12:24 AM
At 12/19/2015 2:09:07 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
India and Chile, for example, have reached the point where solar energy is the cheapest option available.

I wouldn't put too much faith in the BJP gov't in India. They're too busy holding political prisoners and turning a blind eye to increasing caste violence.

And they've also worked to get working toilets in every school, made a comprehensive social security plan for the poor and elderly, and laid out another plan to ensure every family has a home, or at least a shelter, by 2022. Comments like the one you made undermine the entire purpose of threads like this.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2015 7:33:54 AM
I agree 100% with the OP (and Flex too, it seems) about the importance of regularly injecting positivity into your daily life. The tone of the information we take in - be it either positive or negative - has real emotional and psychological ramifications for both your short and long term well-being.

When the pace of our lives ramp up, it can be exceedingly difficult to take stock of the atmosphere of your environment. Is it healthy? Productive? Or you happy? Do you make an effort to be? In times of crisis, stress, or pressure, this kind of self check-in is usually the first thing to go. I appreciate the effort here to try and curb some of the negativity and cynicism that pervades our news and information cycles.

I don't have any good news to share per se, but if you can spare 20 minutes at some point this week, I do highly recommend the following ted talk: Body language shapes who you are. I've seen it a few times and it's measure of positivity in the face of adversity can aid anyone at any stage of life. I urge you to watch until the very end, when her message really hits home.

https://www.ted.com...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 7:46:26 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
https://www.facebook.com...
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2016 5:13:35 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
A user told me a little while ago (TheFlex, I believe) that I should regularly post bits of positive news to share. It seems like such a small thing, but I deeply and sincerely agree. When we look at the world, especially through the distant lens of the Internet, it's so easy to be critical. Removed. Cynical. One doesn't have to look far to find stories of disease, violence, tragedy, or even downright lunacy.

I know this isn't the most popular forum, but I'm taking this advice to heart. On a weekly basis (or so I will try to do - the next three weeks will see me in Germany, so my Internet access may be spotty), I will be sharing a few news stories designed to share and promote, as the title betrays, a slightly better world. Here and in future updates I'll be posting and briefly discussing small, small improvements to the world. Why? Because I think we can use a bit of good news. I think we can, every now and again, use a little reminder that not everything is dark and bleak and terrible. The smallest change can make the biggest difference.

We'll start with something big: The Cop21 conference in Paris. On Saturday, 196 countries came to an agreement regarding the future of the world and climate change. They all agreed to keep the rise of the average global temperature below 2 degrees Celsius. Several pieces of the treaty rely on voluntary action, but that's not necessarily a weakness. Many believe it marks a step forward from the belief in the past that treaties could be legally binding and effective. This time, countries are allowed to retain their sense of sovereignty. They can decide their own emissions limits. Perhaps more importantly, the document also sets provisions for assisting developing countries with alternative energy programs.

India and Chile, for example, have reached the point where solar energy is the cheapest option available. The costs of solar power have continued to decrease across the world, and companies/businesses are already shifting to accommodate. The U.S.-based SunEdison, the biggest renewable energy company in the world, as well as numerous others, have been investing heavily into the future of solar power in India and elsewhere. Even if you don't believe in the effects of climate change, this still constitutes good news because of the widely recognized limits of fossil fuels.

The conference in Paris set provisions for the participating countries to review and strengthen their commitments every five years, as well as holding a check-up meeting in 2018. Kind of like going to the doctor's, except...no, it's exactly like that.

Between the dropping prices for solar power and a worldwide commitment to renewable sources of energy, it seems, even if ever so slightly, people are remembering to treat the world as what it is: our home.
I wish I could remember an article I recently read but there is an abundant energy source which is almost free to acquire that is said to completely change the worlds energy needs. People like Gates foundation and numerous Oil shield are literally pumping billions of dollars into the technology because it will obliterate the oil industry. It isn't solar or wind. The Saudi royal family is also on board because they know that oil demand will probably drop by 75% in the next ten years.
Aha I found it....
http://moneymorning.com...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2016 11:38:44 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/24/2016 5:13:35 AM, skipsaweirdo wrote:

I wish I could remember an article I recently read but there is an abundant energy source which is almost free to acquire that is said to completely change the worlds energy needs. People like Gates foundation and numerous Oil shield are literally pumping billions of dollars into the technology because it will obliterate the oil industry. It isn't solar or wind. The Saudi royal family is also on board because they know that oil demand will probably drop by 75% in the next ten years.
Aha I found it....
http://moneymorning.com...

Thank you for sharing! That looks interesting.