Jump to topic:

A Slightly Better World Vol II

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2015 1:09:19 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
Hello again, everyone! Good time of day or night to you, whenever you happen to read this, wherever you are.

I know it hasn't technically been a week, but as I said in my last update, until mid-January, updating this will be sporadic.

Anyway, here are a few positive developments in the world!

1) Let's start with a more personal story this time. American Muslims Faisal Qazi and Tarek El-Messidi, a neurologist and the head of the non-profit group CelebrateMercy, collaborated to raise nearly $100,000 in less than a week for the victims of the San Bernadino shooting in California. Now, though the project is closed, they successfully raised over $200,000. Many people, including the Muslim Shura Council of Southern California, as well as other Muslims, Christians, Jews, and others, all helped contribute. The staggering success that resulted makes this project the most successful crowd-funding venture done by Muslim Americans in history.

https://www.launchgood.com...
http://www.latimes.com...

2) Cities are getting smarter about tackling homelessness in the United States. We all know that cities and even entire governments have often viewed the homeless as a nuisance or pest, something to be hidden away (looking at you, Brazil), but now, local politics are making a tangible difference. In the 5 years since 2010, for example, the number of veterans living on the streets has declined by 47%. Some cities like Phoenix and New Orleans claim to have resolved the homeless veteran problem entirely. Minneapolis is nearing the completion of its 10-year plan to eliminate homelessness for children and families, and Milwaukee recently revealed its own plan to achieve the same. The mayor of New York announced a $2.6 billion housing investment to help alleviate the issue.

In short, public and private groups have coordinated closer than ever before, and have gotten results. More money and fewer people left without a home. The Executive Director of the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness said that political will at the municipal level is greater than ever before, at least with regard to this important issue. While homelessness remains a significant problem, the fact that it is being combatted, more effectively than in the past, demonstrates we can do something about it. We are doing something about it.

http://www.csmonitor.com...

Once again, we are striving to make the world a slightly better place.
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 10:15:21 PM
At 12/24/2015 1:09:19 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Good to hear. Keep these up, Endark :D
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 10:17:50 PM
At 12/29/2015 10:15:21 PM, Sapphique wrote:

Thanks, Saph! I plan to, especially once I'm back in the UK. Happiness is like glass, after all. :-p
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 10:20:46 PM
At 12/29/2015 10:17:50 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 12/29/2015 10:15:21 PM, Sapphique wrote:

Thanks, Saph! I plan to, especially once I'm back in the UK. Happiness is like glass, after all. :-p

Yes! I love my sig quote. It makes me smile ^.^
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 11:21:44 PM

I like this, especially the part concerning homelessness. My family is huge on helping out the homeless, whether it be finding shelter, providing food, or simply sitting down and talking with them - just paying them attention seems to make them happy the most.
"You're more of a fluentic fail doer who sometimes does a doo dah with a diggity ding, managing to push open doors that weren't meant to be opened, only to find that there's no floor, so you instead become spiderman and crawl on the walls." -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door