Affluenza teen

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 5:39:55 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
For those who know nothing about this story;

"Ethan Anthony Couch (born April 11, 1997) is an American who made national headlines at age 16 when he was prosecuted as a juvenile and convicted of four counts of intoxication manslaughter for recklessly driving drunk on June 15, 2013 in Burleson, Texas where he was speeding, lost control of his vehicle, plowed into a gathering of pedestrians and struck a parked car. Four people were killed and nine others injured, two suffering serious bodily injury as a result of the collision." https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

I just can't get over how stupid this family is, I'm not sure how they can be so succesful, yet so dumb. First they took off for a video surfacing, that likely wouldn't have resulted in any violation of probation. A good lawyer could easily just point out, how the teen wasn't even shown drinking in the video. Only an idiot would run, in this situation.

Secondly they go to a country with an extradition treaty, I mean WTF? Besides that, they go to a tourist town, where every other Anerican they see will potentially bring an end to their run. They also keep the cell phones they originally had. What type of idiot, doesn't immediately toss them, and just get some burner phones for $15 at Walmart?

Why did these rich people order dominoes, with literally dozens of close authentic mexican places around them.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 9:55:22 PM
At 12/30/2015 5:39:55 AM, Wylted wrote:

"Ethan Anthony Couch (born April 11, 1997) is an American who made national headlines at age 16 when he was prosecuted as a juvenile and convicted of four counts of intoxication manslaughter for recklessly driving drunk on June 15, 2013 in Burleson, Texas where he was speeding, lost control of his vehicle, plowed into a gathering of pedestrians and struck a parked car. Four people were killed and nine others injured, two suffering serious bodily injury as a result of the collision." https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

I just can't get over how stupid this family is, I'm not sure how they can be so succesful, yet so dumb. First they took off for a video surfacing, that likely wouldn't have resulted in any violation of probation. A good lawyer could easily just point out, how the teen wasn't even shown drinking in the video. Only an idiot would run, in this situation.

Secondly they go to a country with an extradition treaty, I mean WTF? Besides that, they go to a tourist town, where every other Anerican they see will potentially bring an end to their run. They also keep the cell phones they originally had. What type of idiot, doesn't immediately toss them, and just get some burner phones for $15 at Walmart?

Why did these rich people order dominoes, with literally dozens of close authentic mexican places around them.

Just give them rich folks a tax break and everything will work itself out. A snide remark but I could not help myself, Wylted.

On a serious note it is a shame our justice system got that entire fiasco wrong. Hopefully, they will get it right now that the fugitives have been apprehended. This kid is literally a waste. He had life handed to him and he is pissing it away. I understand that his parents are reprehensible folks too, but I have met many people in my life that had the strength to not commit the errors that their parents did.

Jail is the only thing that may straighten this kid out.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2015 10:04:01 PM
At 12/31/2015 9:55:22 PM, slo1 wrote:

Just give them rich folks a tax break and everything will work itself out. A snide remark but I could not help myself, Wylted.

On a serious note it is a shame our justice system got that entire fiasco wrong. Hopefully, they will get it right now that the fugitives have been apprehended. This kid is literally a waste. He had life handed to him and he is pissing it away. I understand that his parents are reprehensible folks too, but I have met many people in my life that had the strength to not commit the errors that their parents did.

Jail is the only thing that may straighten this kid out.

Ok, I think the judge may have given him probation because he thought he might violate it and get more time than if he were convicted and had the unlimited resources for appeals and all that
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2016 6:47:58 PM

are you surprised they got it wrong? Just one of many many cases every year with too light a sentence.

Ok, I think the judge may have given him probation because he thought he might violate it and get more time than if he were convicted and had the unlimited resources for appeals and all that

From what I read he can't be sentenced on the original charge and violating probation isn't as big a deal as you man think. Another slap on the wrist that is all, compared to what he could have been sentenced with with the deaths of those people.
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 10:11:19 AM

Yeah, that was kinda dumb. They were most likely caught up in the moment and unable to think clearly in the extreme situation. The entire thing probably had their adrenaline going, and I'm sure they were never trained previously in how to control themselves and think clearly in those high-risk, high-tension situations.

I'd have stowed away on a shipping container heading to China, then made my way to Bhutan. I'd also have ditched my family, no point dragging them into it literally. I'd have just let them know I'd be safe via letter before leaving and accepted that a new life all alone is the only way. Also, all he had was 10 yrs probation, that's def not worth fleeing the country for. Now he's really in trouble.

Cause they were spoiled by the American standard.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 2:09:36 PM
At 1/5/2016 10:11:19 AM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Yeah, that was kinda dumb. They were most likely caught up in the moment and unable to think clearly in the extreme situation. The entire thing probably had their adrenaline going, and I'm sure they were never trained previously in how to control themselves and think clearly in those high-risk, high-tension situations.

I'd have stowed away on a shipping container heading to China, then made my way to Bhutan. I'd also have ditched my family, no point dragging them into it literally. I'd have just let them know I'd be safe via letter before leaving and accepted that a new life all alone is the only way. Also, all he had was 10 yrs probation, that's def not worth fleeing the country for. Now he's really in trouble.

In my opinion, ordering dominoes was worse than the killing itself
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2016 4:47:16 PM
At 1/5/2016 2:09:36 PM, Wylted wrote:

In my opinion, ordering dominoes was worse than the killing itself

Lol, dominos is good though. I prefer it over pizza hut or papa johns. In their regard, yeah, it was the worst thing they could have done aside from choosing to go to a tourist filled Mexican city.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
MurBob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2016 4:31:59 AM

Yeah, that was kinda dumb. They were most likely caught up in the moment and unable to think clearly in the extreme situation. :

It would seem to me that no one in that family has been thinking clearly for at least 18 years...