Total Posts:32|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

A Slightly Better World Vol III

EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 12:35:39 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Hello, everyone, and welcome back to ASBW! I'm your host, Endark, and today, we're here to see a few stories promoting positivity in the world! I've returned from Germany and so, once again, here we go!

The First Lady of Afghanistan, Rula Ghani, recently revealed plans for constructing the nation's first all-female university, meaning that women denied access to higher education elsewhere will always be able to study there. The school's working name is Mawlana Afghan-Turk University (so named because Turkey is helping with the effort). While its official inauguration date has not yet been announced, this demonstrates not only progress for women but also a step forward for a traditionally conservative nation. This development follows the implementation of Afghanistan's first women studies course back in October.

On a similar note, Zimbabwe's highest court - that is, their judicial authority - has outlawed child marriages. The Constitutional Court thereby made history with this unprecedented decision. It had been expected that the Court would cede to the legislature. Instead, it stepped up, announcing all marriage participants needed to be at least 18 years of age. Zimbabwe had been one of four South African countries with high rates of child marriages, the others being Malawi, Mozambique, and Zambia.

In the United States, residents of Flint, Michigan have undergone a severe water crisis when it was discovered that they haven't had access to clean water in at least a year. Anheuser-Busch, a brewery company, responded by sending in 2,156 cases of emergency drinking water - or 51,000 cans. This follows the same company's donation of nearly 200,000 cans of water to areas in Missouri and Oklahoma suffering from flooding or winter storms.

There we have it. 3 stories which demonstrate a little bit of good still exists in the world. All it takes is to help one other person. That's all anyone needs to do to create a slightly better world.
j50wells
Posts: 345
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 12:59:06 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Very wonderful! I only hope that they teach them about freedom, free markets, Democracy, and human rights. If they do no teach these things, all is lost. But if they do, sign me up, I will throw flowers to all the wonderful women that find their way into this university. Let them go back to their native lands and proclaim freedom and enlightenment to all people's!!!!!!! We will rejoice them, for they deserve it, just as all people's deserve freedom.
Bring out the hanker-chiefs and wipe your eyes of tears of joy!!!!!
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 1:36:36 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 12:59:06 AM, j50wells wrote:
Very wonderful! I only hope that they teach them about freedom, free markets, Democracy, and human rights. If they do no teach these things, all is lost. But if they do, sign me up, I will throw flowers to all the wonderful women that find their way into this university. Let them go back to their native lands and proclaim freedom and enlightenment to all people's!!!!!!! We will rejoice them, for they deserve it, just as all people's deserve freedom.

That would be nice, wouldn't it? I'm not sure how much of that Afghanistan is ready for, but I would love to see them be able implement that and reconcile it with their own culture.

Bring out the hanker-chiefs and wipe your eyes of tears of joy!!!!!
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 5:30:18 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 10:43:52 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 4:48:34 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
http://www.nydailynews.com...
http://abcnews.go.com...
http://www.cbsnews.com...
http://www.cbsnews.com...
http://www.bbc.com...
http://www.foxnews.com...
http://www.nbcnews.com...

What exactly is the point of this? This post is worse than useless; it's actively vindictive. I'm shocked at you, Chris.

I don't know how I'm getting any revenge out of this. I'm just utterly pessimistic.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,571
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 5:50:14 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 12:35:39 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Hello, everyone, and welcome back to ASBW! I'm your host, Endark, and today, we're here to see a few stories promoting positivity in the world! I've returned from Germany and so, once again, here we go!

The First Lady of Afghanistan, Rula Ghani, recently revealed plans for constructing the nation's first all-female university, meaning that women denied access to higher education elsewhere will always be able to study there. The school's working name is Mawlana Afghan-Turk University (so named because Turkey is helping with the effort). While its official inauguration date has not yet been announced, this demonstrates not only progress for women but also a step forward for a traditionally conservative nation. This development follows the implementation of Afghanistan's first women studies course back in October.

On a similar note, Zimbabwe's highest court - that is, their judicial authority - has outlawed child marriages. The Constitutional Court thereby made history with this unprecedented decision. It had been expected that the Court would cede to the legislature. Instead, it stepped up, announcing all marriage participants needed to be at least 18 years of age. Zimbabwe had been one of four South African countries with high rates of child marriages, the others being Malawi, Mozambique, and Zambia.


In the United States, residents of Flint, Michigan have undergone a severe water crisis when it was discovered that they haven't had access to clean water in at least a year. Anheuser-Busch, a brewery company, responded by sending in 2,156 cases of emergency drinking water - or 51,000 cans. This follows the same company's donation of nearly 200,000 cans of water to areas in Missouri and Oklahoma suffering from flooding or winter storms.

This last one affects me personally. I have a friend who lives in Flint, Michigan, but he and recently his sister came down south to go to school here.

There we have it. 3 stories which demonstrate a little bit of good still exists in the world. All it takes is to help one other person. That's all anyone needs to do to create a slightly better world.

I like hearing things like this, and I am glad that you are doing this. Keep it up!
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 6:00:03 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 5:30:18 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:43:52 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 4:48:34 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
http://www.nydailynews.com...
http://abcnews.go.com...
http://www.cbsnews.com...
http://www.cbsnews.com...
http://www.bbc.com...
http://www.foxnews.com...
http://www.nbcnews.com...

What exactly is the point of this? This post is worse than useless; it's actively vindictive. I'm shocked at you, Chris.

I don't know how I'm getting any revenge out of this. I'm just utterly pessimistic.

And as these, their predecessors, and their offspring will continue demonstrating, the world is objectively improving.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 6:00:45 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 5:50:14 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/26/2016 12:35:39 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Hello, everyone, and welcome back to ASBW! I'm your host, Endark, and today, we're here to see a few stories promoting positivity in the world! I've returned from Germany and so, once again, here we go!

The First Lady of Afghanistan, Rula Ghani, recently revealed plans for constructing the nation's first all-female university, meaning that women denied access to higher education elsewhere will always be able to study there. The school's working name is Mawlana Afghan-Turk University (so named because Turkey is helping with the effort). While its official inauguration date has not yet been announced, this demonstrates not only progress for women but also a step forward for a traditionally conservative nation. This development follows the implementation of Afghanistan's first women studies course back in October.

On a similar note, Zimbabwe's highest court - that is, their judicial authority - has outlawed child marriages. The Constitutional Court thereby made history with this unprecedented decision. It had been expected that the Court would cede to the legislature. Instead, it stepped up, announcing all marriage participants needed to be at least 18 years of age. Zimbabwe had been one of four South African countries with high rates of child marriages, the others being Malawi, Mozambique, and Zambia.


In the United States, residents of Flint, Michigan have undergone a severe water crisis when it was discovered that they haven't had access to clean water in at least a year. Anheuser-Busch, a brewery company, responded by sending in 2,156 cases of emergency drinking water - or 51,000 cans. This follows the same company's donation of nearly 200,000 cans of water to areas in Missouri and Oklahoma suffering from flooding or winter storms.

This last one affects me personally. I have a friend who lives in Flint, Michigan, but he and recently his sister came down south to go to school here.

Well, I'm glad they're somewhere safe, at least. Are they doing okay?

There we have it. 3 stories which demonstrate a little bit of good still exists in the world. All it takes is to help one other person. That's all anyone needs to do to create a slightly better world.

I like hearing things like this, and I am glad that you are doing this. Keep it up!

Thank you! It means a lot.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,571
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 6:05:08 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 6:00:45 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 5:50:14 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 1/26/2016 12:35:39 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
Hello, everyone, and welcome back to ASBW! I'm your host, Endark, and today, we're here to see a few stories promoting positivity in the world! I've returned from Germany and so, once again, here we go!

The First Lady of Afghanistan, Rula Ghani, recently revealed plans for constructing the nation's first all-female university, meaning that women denied access to higher education elsewhere will always be able to study there. The school's working name is Mawlana Afghan-Turk University (so named because Turkey is helping with the effort). While its official inauguration date has not yet been announced, this demonstrates not only progress for women but also a step forward for a traditionally conservative nation. This development follows the implementation of Afghanistan's first women studies course back in October.

On a similar note, Zimbabwe's highest court - that is, their judicial authority - has outlawed child marriages. The Constitutional Court thereby made history with this unprecedented decision. It had been expected that the Court would cede to the legislature. Instead, it stepped up, announcing all marriage participants needed to be at least 18 years of age. Zimbabwe had been one of four South African countries with high rates of child marriages, the others being Malawi, Mozambique, and Zambia.


In the United States, residents of Flint, Michigan have undergone a severe water crisis when it was discovered that they haven't had access to clean water in at least a year. Anheuser-Busch, a brewery company, responded by sending in 2,156 cases of emergency drinking water - or 51,000 cans. This follows the same company's donation of nearly 200,000 cans of water to areas in Missouri and Oklahoma suffering from flooding or winter storms.

This last one affects me personally. I have a friend who lives in Flint, Michigan, but he and recently his sister came down south to go to school here.

Well, I'm glad they're somewhere safe, at least. Are they doing okay?

Yeah. The sister literally showed up yesterday, but her brother has been here since the beginning of this school year. They are doing just fine. The sister has already made quite a few friends, and her brother is the student body representative on the school district board -- and one of the most popular kids in the school.

There we have it. 3 stories which demonstrate a little bit of good still exists in the world. All it takes is to help one other person. That's all anyone needs to do to create a slightly better world.

I like hearing things like this, and I am glad that you are doing this. Keep it up!

Thank you! It means a lot.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 6:32:52 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 6:00:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 5:30:18 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:43:52 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 4:48:34 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
http://www.nydailynews.com...
http://abcnews.go.com...
http://www.cbsnews.com...
http://www.cbsnews.com...
http://www.bbc.com...
http://www.foxnews.com...
http://www.nbcnews.com...

What exactly is the point of this? This post is worse than useless; it's actively vindictive. I'm shocked at you, Chris.

I don't know how I'm getting any revenge out of this. I'm just utterly pessimistic.

And as these, their predecessors, and their offspring will continue demonstrating, the world is objectively improving.

I disagree that any meaningful improvements are being made, and I still don't know how my post was vindictive.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 7:51:03 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 6:32:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:00:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 5:30:18 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:43:52 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 4:48:34 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
http://www.nydailynews.com...
http://abcnews.go.com...
http://www.cbsnews.com...
http://www.cbsnews.com...
http://www.bbc.com...
http://www.foxnews.com...
http://www.nbcnews.com...

What exactly is the point of this? This post is worse than useless; it's actively vindictive. I'm shocked at you, Chris.

I don't know how I'm getting any revenge out of this. I'm just utterly pessimistic.

And as these, their predecessors, and their offspring will continue demonstrating, the world is objectively improving.

I disagree that any meaningful improvements are being made, and I still don't know how my post was vindictive.

World poverty has been cut in half as of 10 years ago and has only continued to decrease. Technological advances evolve onward by the day. Medicine has rapidly grown as well, including new bionic body parts (like eyes) and the success of using 3D printing to create functional artificial body parts, as well as cancer immunotherapy demonstrating promising results in the war against cancer. Even with the turmoil in the Middle East and North Africa, worldwide violence is down. The US homicide rate is the lowest its been since at least the 1960s, the Mexican homocide rate is the lowest its been since the 1950s, and the worldwide homocide rate has dropped from 7 in 100,000 people in 2000 to 5 in 100,000 people. As was covered in the first update, 196 countries - nearly every country in the world - united behind a banner of environemental awareness and sustainable practices, as well as adopting measures to assist developing countries be more environmentally friendly as they grow.

Your post was vindictive because it actively sought to destroy whatever happiness people could find from the world.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 8:25:00 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 7:51:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:32:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:00:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 5:30:18 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I don't know how I'm getting any revenge out of this. I'm just utterly pessimistic.

And as these, their predecessors, and their offspring will continue demonstrating, the world is objectively improving.

I disagree that any meaningful improvements are being made, and I still don't know how my post was vindictive.

World poverty has been cut in half as of 10 years ago and has only continued to decrease. Technological advances evolve onward by the day. Medicine has rapidly grown as well, including new bionic body parts (like eyes) and the success of using 3D printing to create functional artificial body parts, as well as cancer immunotherapy demonstrating promising results in the war against cancer. Even with the turmoil in the Middle East and North Africa, worldwide violence is down. The US homicide rate is the lowest its been since at least the 1960s, the Mexican homocide rate is the lowest its been since the 1950s, and the worldwide homocide rate has dropped from 7 in 100,000 people in 2000 to 5 in 100,000 people. As was covered in the first update, 196 countries - nearly every country in the world - united behind a banner of environemental awareness and sustainable practices, as well as adopting measures to assist developing countries be more environmentally friendly as they grow.

While we have had "advancements" in medicine, we find ourselves living in a post-antibiotic age, and common problems will be deadly once again - and cancer treatments and invasive surgeries may be impossible without said antibiotics.

While everyone wants to focus on ISIS, Boko Haram kills more civilians who are not in the military or militant groups.

Even in America, where we pride ourselves as some post-industrial heaven for those who want to prosper, even some of our schools are utter sh!t. See Detroit, which may be an extreme example, but it would cost billions of dollars to help rebuild the public schools there alone - and the government does not move enough towards helping the situation.

As the EU deals with economic problems, racial hatred, refugees, fear of terrorism, and so on - Britain could take the opportunity to fvck the EU more.

ISIS is on the "defensive" after a "crushing" defeat in Ramadi. What was not told in the average press release was that the 10,000 strong Iraqi army took weeks to defeat a few hundred ISIS fighters. But they're improving - at least they didn't get their asses totally handed to them like last time. And the city, at least, doesn't look like an H-bomb was dropped on it - just some heavy incendiary bombings.

Your post was vindictive because it actively sought to destroy whatever happiness people could find from the world.

Not true.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 9:06:20 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 8:25:00 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 7:51:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:32:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:00:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 5:30:18 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
I don't know how I'm getting any revenge out of this. I'm just utterly pessimistic.

And as these, their predecessors, and their offspring will continue demonstrating, the world is objectively improving.

I disagree that any meaningful improvements are being made, and I still don't know how my post was vindictive.

World poverty has been cut in half as of 10 years ago and has only continued to decrease. Technological advances evolve onward by the day. Medicine has rapidly grown as well, including new bionic body parts (like eyes) and the success of using 3D printing to create functional artificial body parts, as well as cancer immunotherapy demonstrating promising results in the war against cancer. Even with the turmoil in the Middle East and North Africa, worldwide violence is down. The US homicide rate is the lowest its been since at least the 1960s, the Mexican homocide rate is the lowest its been since the 1950s, and the worldwide homocide rate has dropped from 7 in 100,000 people in 2000 to 5 in 100,000 people. As was covered in the first update, 196 countries - nearly every country in the world - united behind a banner of environemental awareness and sustainable practices, as well as adopting measures to assist developing countries be more environmentally friendly as they grow.

While we have had "advancements" in medicine, we find ourselves living in a post-antibiotic age, and common problems will be deadly once again - and cancer treatments and invasive surgeries may be impossible without said antibiotics.

"Common" problems will not be deadly because they won't be the same problems - they can't be, or we'd be immune to them. They mutate. All sorts of advances in medicine will keep people protected, however.

While everyone wants to focus on ISIS, Boko Haram kills more civilians who are not in the military or militant groups.

Worldwide violence is still down, so that's still in improvement.

Even in America, where we pride ourselves as some post-industrial heaven for those who want to prosper, even some of our schools are utter sh!t. See Detroit, which may be an extreme example, but it would cost billions of dollars to help rebuild the public schools there alone - and the government does not move enough towards helping the situation.

And education overall is changing for the better as the pursuit of higher education becomes standard and trends in international mobility have increased as more and more people study abroad, thereby expanding their horizons and gaining an appreciation for diversity, as well as gaining an education. It also greatly assists in furthering cooperation between nations, especially between the EU and Asia.

As the EU deals with economic problems, racial hatred, refugees, fear of terrorism, and so on - Britain could take the opportunity to fvck the EU more.

Which it very likely won't. Of course, the massive spread of migration they face is a problem, but a temporary one.

ISIS is on the "defensive" after a "crushing" defeat in Ramadi. What was not told in the average press release was that the 10,000 strong Iraqi army took weeks to defeat a few hundred ISIS fighters. But they're improving - at least they didn't get their asses totally handed to them like last time. And the city, at least, doesn't look like an H-bomb was dropped on it - just some heavy incendiary bombings.

Your post was vindictive because it actively sought to destroy whatever happiness people could find from the world.

Not true.

Yes true. It serves no purpose other than ruining enjoyment and souring moods. Fortunately, everything you listed is minuscule in the face of such massive positive trends.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 9:27:42 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 9:06:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 8:25:00 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 7:51:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:32:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Your post was vindictive because it actively sought to destroy whatever happiness people could find from the world.

Not true.

Yes true. It serves no purpose other than ruining enjoyment and souring moods. Fortunately, everything you listed is minuscule in the face of such massive positive trends.

Are you insinuating that I derive pleasure from other people's suffering, and try to make people suffer because of that?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 9:59:33 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 9:27:42 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:06:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 8:25:00 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 7:51:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:32:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Your post was vindictive because it actively sought to destroy whatever happiness people could find from the world.

Not true.

Yes true. It serves no purpose other than ruining enjoyment and souring moods. Fortunately, everything you listed is minuscule in the face of such massive positive trends.

Are you insinuating that I derive pleasure from other people's suffering, and try to make people suffer because of that?

No. I said your post was inappropriate because it came into the third in a series of threads designed to demonstrate ways in which the world is improving, designed to show people that the world really isn't as bad as they think, and it tried to destroy that moment for everyone.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 10:02:46 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 9:59:33 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:27:42 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:06:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 8:25:00 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 7:51:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:32:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Your post was vindictive because it actively sought to destroy whatever happiness people could find from the world.

Not true.

Yes true. It serves no purpose other than ruining enjoyment and souring moods. Fortunately, everything you listed is minuscule in the face of such massive positive trends.

Are you insinuating that I derive pleasure from other people's suffering, and try to make people suffer because of that?

No. I said your post was inappropriate because it came into the third in a series of threads designed to demonstrate ways in which the world is improving, designed to show people that the world really isn't as bad as they think, and it tried to destroy that moment for everyone.

So...why would I do that?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 10:05:47 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 10:02:46 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:59:33 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:27:42 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:06:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 8:25:00 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 7:51:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:32:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Your post was vindictive because it actively sought to destroy whatever happiness people could find from the world.

Not true.

Yes true. It serves no purpose other than ruining enjoyment and souring moods. Fortunately, everything you listed is minuscule in the face of such massive positive trends.

Are you insinuating that I derive pleasure from other people's suffering, and try to make people suffer because of that?

No. I said your post was inappropriate because it came into the third in a series of threads designed to demonstrate ways in which the world is improving, designed to show people that the world really isn't as bad as they think, and it tried to destroy that moment for everyone.

So...why would I do that?

I'm sure I couldn't guess.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 10:10:15 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 10:05:47 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:02:46 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:59:33 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:27:42 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:06:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 8:25:00 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 7:51:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:32:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Your post was vindictive because it actively sought to destroy whatever happiness people could find from the world.

Not true.

Yes true. It serves no purpose other than ruining enjoyment and souring moods. Fortunately, everything you listed is minuscule in the face of such massive positive trends.

Are you insinuating that I derive pleasure from other people's suffering, and try to make people suffer because of that?

No. I said your post was inappropriate because it came into the third in a series of threads designed to demonstrate ways in which the world is improving, designed to show people that the world really isn't as bad as they think, and it tried to destroy that moment for everyone.

So...why would I do that?

I'm sure I couldn't guess.

Then how can you say it was vindictive?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 10:13:02 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 10:10:15 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:05:47 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:02:46 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:59:33 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:27:42 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:06:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 8:25:00 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 7:51:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:32:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Your post was vindictive because it actively sought to destroy whatever happiness people could find from the world.

Not true.

Yes true. It serves no purpose other than ruining enjoyment and souring moods. Fortunately, everything you listed is minuscule in the face of such massive positive trends.

Are you insinuating that I derive pleasure from other people's suffering, and try to make people suffer because of that?

No. I said your post was inappropriate because it came into the third in a series of threads designed to demonstrate ways in which the world is improving, designed to show people that the world really isn't as bad as they think, and it tried to destroy that moment for everyone.

So...why would I do that?

I'm sure I couldn't guess.

Then how can you say it was vindictive?

I think we're using different definitions of vindictive. I'm using "characterized by spite or rancor" in this case. Rancor, particularly, and from there, its bitterness.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 10:15:49 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 10:13:02 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:10:15 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:05:47 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:02:46 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:59:33 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:27:42 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:06:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 8:25:00 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 7:51:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:32:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Your post was vindictive because it actively sought to destroy whatever happiness people could find from the world.

Not true.

Yes true. It serves no purpose other than ruining enjoyment and souring moods. Fortunately, everything you listed is minuscule in the face of such massive positive trends.

Are you insinuating that I derive pleasure from other people's suffering, and try to make people suffer because of that?

No. I said your post was inappropriate because it came into the third in a series of threads designed to demonstrate ways in which the world is improving, designed to show people that the world really isn't as bad as they think, and it tried to destroy that moment for everyone.

So...why would I do that?

I'm sure I couldn't guess.

Then how can you say it was vindictive?

I think we're using different definitions of vindictive. I'm using "characterized by spite or rancor" in this case. Rancor, particularly, and from there, its bitterness.

https://www.ahdictionary.com...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 10:16:53 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 10:15:49 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:13:02 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:10:15 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:05:47 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:02:46 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:59:33 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:27:42 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:06:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 8:25:00 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 7:51:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:32:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Your post was vindictive because it actively sought to destroy whatever happiness people could find from the world.

Not true.

Yes true. It serves no purpose other than ruining enjoyment and souring moods. Fortunately, everything you listed is minuscule in the face of such massive positive trends.

Are you insinuating that I derive pleasure from other people's suffering, and try to make people suffer because of that?

No. I said your post was inappropriate because it came into the third in a series of threads designed to demonstrate ways in which the world is improving, designed to show people that the world really isn't as bad as they think, and it tried to destroy that moment for everyone.

So...why would I do that?

I'm sure I couldn't guess.

Then how can you say it was vindictive?

I think we're using different definitions of vindictive. I'm using "characterized by spite or rancor" in this case. Rancor, particularly, and from there, its bitterness.

https://www.ahdictionary.com...

http://dictionary.reference.com...
Scroll down to where the British dictionary starts.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 10:19:45 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 10:16:53 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:15:49 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:13:02 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:10:15 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:05:47 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:02:46 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:59:33 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:27:42 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:06:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 8:25:00 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 7:51:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:32:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Your post was vindictive because it actively sought to destroy whatever happiness people could find from the world.

Not true.

Yes true. It serves no purpose other than ruining enjoyment and souring moods. Fortunately, everything you listed is minuscule in the face of such massive positive trends.

Are you insinuating that I derive pleasure from other people's suffering, and try to make people suffer because of that?

No. I said your post was inappropriate because it came into the third in a series of threads designed to demonstrate ways in which the world is improving, designed to show people that the world really isn't as bad as they think, and it tried to destroy that moment for everyone.

So...why would I do that?

I'm sure I couldn't guess.

Then how can you say it was vindictive?

I think we're using different definitions of vindictive. I'm using "characterized by spite or rancor" in this case. Rancor, particularly, and from there, its bitterness.

https://www.ahdictionary.com...

http://dictionary.reference.com...
Scroll down to where the British dictionary starts.

I scrolled up and down the page and I don't see anything.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 10:22:00 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 10:19:45 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:16:53 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:15:49 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:13:02 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:10:15 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:05:47 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:02:46 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:59:33 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:27:42 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:06:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 8:25:00 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 7:51:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:32:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Your post was vindictive because it actively sought to destroy whatever happiness people could find from the world.

Not true.

Yes true. It serves no purpose other than ruining enjoyment and souring moods. Fortunately, everything you listed is minuscule in the face of such massive positive trends.

Are you insinuating that I derive pleasure from other people's suffering, and try to make people suffer because of that?

No. I said your post was inappropriate because it came into the third in a series of threads designed to demonstrate ways in which the world is improving, designed to show people that the world really isn't as bad as they think, and it tried to destroy that moment for everyone.

So...why would I do that?

I'm sure I couldn't guess.

Then how can you say it was vindictive?

I think we're using different definitions of vindictive. I'm using "characterized by spite or rancor" in this case. Rancor, particularly, and from there, its bitterness.

https://www.ahdictionary.com...

http://dictionary.reference.com...
Scroll down to where the British dictionary starts.

I scrolled up and down the page and I don't see anything.

Really? It's right there, underneath the contemporary web examples.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 10:23:07 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 10:19:45 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:16:53 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:15:49 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:13:02 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:10:15 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:05:47 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:02:46 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:59:33 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:27:42 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 9:06:20 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 8:25:00 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 7:51:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 6:32:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Your post was vindictive because it actively sought to destroy whatever happiness people could find from the world.

Not true.

Yes true. It serves no purpose other than ruining enjoyment and souring moods. Fortunately, everything you listed is minuscule in the face of such massive positive trends.

Are you insinuating that I derive pleasure from other people's suffering, and try to make people suffer because of that?

No. I said your post was inappropriate because it came into the third in a series of threads designed to demonstrate ways in which the world is improving, designed to show people that the world really isn't as bad as they think, and it tried to destroy that moment for everyone.

So...why would I do that?

I'm sure I couldn't guess.

Then how can you say it was vindictive?

I think we're using different definitions of vindictive. I'm using "characterized by spite or rancor" in this case. Rancor, particularly, and from there, its bitterness.

https://www.ahdictionary.com...

http://dictionary.reference.com...
Scroll down to where the British dictionary starts.

I scrolled up and down the page and I don't see anything.

It's also here
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 10:31:13 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 10:23:07 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:19:45 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:16:53 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:15:49 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:13:02 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:10:15 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Then how can you say it was vindictive?

I think we're using different definitions of vindictive. I'm using "characterized by spite or rancor" in this case. Rancor, particularly, and from there, its bitterness.

https://www.ahdictionary.com...

http://dictionary.reference.com...
Scroll down to where the British dictionary starts.

I scrolled up and down the page and I don't see anything.

It's also here
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

So only one dictionary in the world defines it like that?
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 10:34:01 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 10:31:13 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:23:07 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:19:45 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:16:53 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:15:49 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:13:02 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:10:15 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Then how can you say it was vindictive?

I think we're using different definitions of vindictive. I'm using "characterized by spite or rancor" in this case. Rancor, particularly, and from there, its bitterness.

https://www.ahdictionary.com...

http://dictionary.reference.com...
Scroll down to where the British dictionary starts.

I scrolled up and down the page and I don't see anything.

It's also here
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

So only one dictionary in the world defines it like that?

I've linked you to two that define it that way. Merriam-Webster has a similar one as well, so that's 3, all reputable.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 10:39:21 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 10:31:13 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:23:07 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:19:45 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:16:53 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:15:49 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:13:02 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:10:15 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Then how can you say it was vindictive?

I think we're using different definitions of vindictive. I'm using "characterized by spite or rancor" in this case. Rancor, particularly, and from there, its bitterness.

https://www.ahdictionary.com...

http://dictionary.reference.com...
Scroll down to where the British dictionary starts.

I scrolled up and down the page and I don't see anything.

It's also here
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

So only one dictionary in the world defines it like that?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
http://www.collinsdictionary.com...
http://dictionary.reference.com...
http://dictionary.reverso.net...

All on the first page of a quick search.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2016 10:40:34 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/26/2016 10:34:01 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:31:13 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:23:07 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:19:45 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:16:53 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:15:49 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 1/26/2016 10:13:02 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
I think we're using different definitions of vindictive. I'm using "characterized by spite or rancor" in this case. Rancor, particularly, and from there, its bitterness.

https://www.ahdictionary.com...

http://dictionary.reference.com...
Scroll down to where the British dictionary starts.

I scrolled up and down the page and I don't see anything.

It's also here
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

So only one dictionary in the world defines it like that?

I've linked you to two that define it that way. Merriam-Webster has a similar one as well, so that's 3, all reputable.

At best, Merriam-Webster says I just want to cause hurt and anguish.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King