Jump to topic:

French-UK Nuclear Treaty

Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 12:06:13 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Hmm, as a Brit the idea of a treaty with the garlic munchers is never a appealing thought. However for once this new treaty has me in support. I'm keen to know the opinions of others however. What do you guys think of it? here's a link if you missed the news.... http://www.bbc.co.uk...

Discuss...
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 1:16:58 AM
At 11/2/2010 12:06:13 AM, Nik wrote:
Hmm, as a Brit the idea of a treaty with the garlic munchers is never a appealing thought. However for once this new treaty has me in support. I'm keen to know the opinions of others however. What do you guys think of it? here's a link if you missed the news.... http://www.bbc.co.uk...

Discuss...

I am utterly shocked, this is so strange. I almost think that the article is hoaxed.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 1:25:09 AM
Joint nuclear projrects and an anglo-french expeditionary force. The latter I half suggested the other day as an utterly absurd possibility, I should shut up. Every time I propose something wierd reality shifts.

Anyway, on one hand this is good. Britain is now too bankrupt, finanacially and 'spirituallty' to see to it's own defence. France however has never given up on dreams of Empire and militarism, this may mean that when the Falklands are invaded something can be done about it.

But ultimately this is just to suck Britain into a single EU superstate.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Nik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2010 1:33:48 AM
At 11/2/2010 1:25:09 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

But ultimately this is just to suck Britain into a single EU superstate.

Perhaps, but in Europe's current financial state, joint nuclear programmes are the only feasible way of keeping a European nuclear deterrent. They say we "wont swap nuclear secrets" with France, or vice versa. Personally I cant see this happening if development is happening in England, and testing is operating in France.
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
Zeitgeist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 5:08:26 AM
It's a good move all round. Especially as it is a significant step away from US hegemong and towards an independent Europe as a nation in its own right. In Britain today we have far more in common with the rest of Europe than we have with todays USA. Times have changed, we must change with them
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 7:52:34 AM
"Mr Sarkozy said ........'If you, my British friends, have to face a major crisis, could you imagine France simply sitting there, its arms crossed, saying that it's none of our business?'"

Ha ha ha, Nooooooooooooooooo the French would never do that. You can trust them....seriously. I mean really can you imagine them not self sacrificing to save the Brits? I'm pretty sure you can count on them.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 7:54:23 AM
At 11/6/2010 7:52:34 AM, innomen wrote:
"Mr Sarkozy said ........'If you, my British friends, have to face a major crisis, could you imagine France simply sitting there, its arms crossed, saying that it's none of our business?'"

Ha ha ha, Nooooooooooooooooo the French would never do that. You can trust them....seriously. I mean really can you imagine them not self sacrificing to save the Brits? I'm pretty sure you can count on them.
Doehrnt untereztimathre zhe Fhranch.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2010 9:01:26 AM
At 11/6/2010 7:54:23 AM, Mirza wrote:

British foreign policy and French foreign policy are quite different in approach. Although ridiculously duplicitous, the French are incredibly predictable in their self-serving behavior.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2010 1:17:30 AM
At 11/6/2010 9:01:26 AM, innomen wrote:
At 11/6/2010 7:54:23 AM, Mirza wrote:

British foreign policy and French foreign policy are quite different in approach. Although ridiculously duplicitous, the French are incredibly predictable in their self-serving behavior.

Well it could be worse, it could be the Italians.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 4:33:22 AM
What about the Channel Islands? France would dearly like them back. If push came to shove and we really needed them, would their military assistance be conditional on the return of the islands?

And what about defending members of the British Commonwealth? We have a duty to protect them but the French couldn't care less about our overseas territories and dependencies.

And what about conflicts of interest? The Queen is the Canadian Head of State and the Canadian Prime Minister might one day call Her Majesty and ask her to nuke Montreal in order to wipe out those troublesome, French-speaking Quebecois separatists and their supporters. Would the French be happy to annihilate hundreds of thousands of their fellow Francophones at the say-so of an unelected monarch?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 10:39:31 AM
At 11/8/2010 4:33:22 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
What about the Channel Islands? France would dearly like them back. If push came to shove and we really needed them, would their military assistance be conditional on the return of the islands?

But it never had them.

And what about defending members of the British Commonwealth? We have a duty to protect them but the French couldn't care less about our overseas territories and dependencies.

France has similar commitments, so it is to each others mutual benefit.

And what about conflicts of interest? The Queen is the Canadian Head of State and the Canadian Prime Minister might one day call Her Majesty and ask her to nuke Montreal in order to wipe out those troublesome, French-speaking Quebecois separatists and their supporters. Would the French be happy to annihilate hundreds of thousands of their fellow Francophones at the say-so of an unelected monarch?

Thats not really very likely...
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 10:47:10 AM
At 11/8/2010 10:39:31 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

But it never had them.

Really? But they are just off the French coast - easily visible to even the most short-sighted of onion-sellers! So the French never thought about sailing over and planting a tricoleur on them? It's like the Isle of Wight being part of France because the English couldn't be bothered to claim it for herself!

True

Also true!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 10:53:25 AM
At 11/8/2010 10:47:10 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 11/8/2010 10:39:31 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

But it never had them.

Really? But they are just off the French coast - easily visible to even the most short-sighted of onion-sellers! So the French never thought about sailing over and planting a tricoleur on them? It's like the Isle of Wight being part of France because the English couldn't be bothered to claim it for herself!

Well it depends on when you date the beginning of the French state I guess, but we have the channel Islands because our sovereign also happens to be the Duke... or rather Duchess of Normandy. Those islands are the remnants. Now sure perhaps our Queen holds them as a vassal of the French throne... which is empty. So until it's filled the issue is moot!

True

Especially in the carribean. We probably already have mutual commitments there.

Also true!

But on a serious note you do have a point, what about conflicts of interest... presumably the alliance will not be activated in those instances.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 10:59:32 AM
Seeing as our new BFF is India you guys are probably gonna need one anyways too. I think we're both trading down though.