Jump to topic:

A Slightly Better World Vol IV

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 5:20:03 PM
Posted: 9 months ago
Hello, everyone! Welcome back to ASBW, where we're working to promote and encourage a little bit of positivity in the world.

People say that once something's on the Internet, it's there forever. At the same time, however, we worry about the legacy we're leaving for the future. Our data storage system, when compared with some of the most impressive cultural remnants of the past, seems sadly lacking. Papers will fade and decay, flash drives will stop working, and new technology renders older storage systems obsolete. How will a society 2,000 years from now learn about us? Access our files?

Well, a team of researchers in the UK have created a 5-Dimensional data disk capable of storing 360 terabytes of data for 13.8 billion years. Yes, both numbers are correct. Using a process called Femtosecond laser writing, which essentially uses an ultrafast laser to create tiny glass discs, the 5-Dimensional Disk was created (3 dimensions being the position of each dot within the layers and the other 2 resulting from the size and orientation of each dot. Yes, this is how lasers read discs). It's been called the Superman Memory Crystal, and it holds the answer to preserving all of the cultural achievements of our time. And possibly even longer.

And if that wasn't enough, it can withstand temperatures of up to 1,000 degrees Celsius (1,832 Fahrenheit). Because why not?

Let's end with South Africa. As you may know, or may not, the region is currently experiencing its worst drought in decades. Fortunately, even ordinary people have taken a stand. Operation Hydrate, which began early in January, has raised over $3 million and delivered over 1.2 million liters of water to the people across South Africa, including areas such as Senekal and Swartruggens. In addition to all of the local support, the movement has attracted several notable companies, particularly Coca-Cola, which has pledged to further assist with the relief efforts. Operation Hydrate - a civil society, run by ordinary people, for ordinary people. This just goes to show that we can make a difference. We can all make a slightly better world.

See you soon for our next update.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 9:27:08 PM
Kool. That story about the super-disc is neat.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 9:39:15 PM
At 2/18/2016 5:20:03 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

You should link the older threads of the series in the new ones! I missed Vol III.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 10:20:33 PM
At 2/18/2016 9:39:15 PM, Maikuru wrote:

You should link the older threads of the series in the new ones! I missed Vol III.

They're in my sig.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 10:38:44 PM
At 2/18/2016 10:20:33 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

They're in my sig.

Ah, cool.

The story about information storage reminds me of the seed repository, which houses families of seeds in case of large-scale disasters.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

With all the stories out there about the damage we are doing to the planet, I am so intrigued about efforts we make to preserve it and the human race.
- lamerde

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 10:50:31 PM
At 2/18/2016 10:38:44 PM, Maikuru wrote:

They're in my sig.

Ah, cool.

The story about information storage reminds me of the seed repository, which houses families of seeds in case of large-scale disasters.

I've heard about that from my environmental studies courses. It seems like a good idea to me.

With all the stories out there about the damage we are doing to the planet, I am so intrigued about efforts we make to preserve it and the human race.

Ever since I read an article about how how society is all about the present and that, in terms of creating history - that is, monuments and the like/artifacts for the future to examine - I've been interested in how humanity pursues its immortality. The data disk here seemed like an intriguing response to that.
EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2016 10:51:16 PM
At 2/18/2016 10:50:31 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 2/18/2016 10:38:44 PM, Maikuru wrote:

They're in my sig.

Ah, cool.

I've heard about that from my environmental studies courses. It seems like a good idea to me.

Ever since I read an article about how how society is all about the present and that, in terms of creating history - that is, monuments and the like/artifacts for the future to examine *being on the decline, as it's been said our society is the first to not create a legacy* - I've been interested in how humanity pursues its immortality. The data disk here seemed like an intriguing response to that.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 8:29:08 PM

Trump has gained a number of delegates since the last edition of this series. We need more feel-good news.
- lamerde

EndarkenedRationalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 9:45:26 PM
At 3/11/2016 8:29:08 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Trump has gained a number of delegates since the last edition of this series. We need more feel-good news.

Yeah, the next one comes out this weekend.
autocorrect
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:12:20 PM
That is interesting. But what I'd like to know - in case my immortal soul need access to this post, for some reason or another, 14 billion years from now - is how you know this storage medium will last 13.8 billion years - and why not 14 billion years? I can't imagine anything being that durable. The sun will have burnt out by then and reduced the earth to a cinder, that cinder smashed to atoms and fallen into the heart of another star. And yet still, this storage medium can withstand all that? Or, is this 13.8 billion years a theoretical figure - as if the storage medium were sat on a dusty shelf untouched by human hands and/or supernovas?
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2016 11:12:39 PM

It's been a way better world since you've been in it <3
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
skipsaweirdo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2016 5:30:43 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
Hello, everyone! Welcome back to ASBW, where we're working to promote and encourage a little bit of positivity in the world.

People say that once something's on the Internet, it's there forever. At the same time, however, we worry about the legacy we're leaving for the future. Our data storage system, when compared with some of the most impressive cultural remnants of the past, seems sadly lacking. Papers will fade and decay, flash drives will stop working, and new technology renders older storage systems obsolete. How will a society 2,000 years from now learn about us? Access our files?

Well, a team of researchers in the UK have created a 5-Dimensional data disk capable of storing 360 terabytes of data for 13.8 billion years. Yes, both numbers are correct. Using a process called Femtosecond laser writing, which essentially uses an ultrafast laser to create tiny glass discs, the 5-Dimensional Disk was created (3 dimensions being the position of each dot within the layers and the other 2 resulting from the size and orientation of each dot. Yes, this is how lasers read discs). It's been called the Superman Memory Crystal, and it holds the answer to preserving all of the cultural achievements of our time. And possibly even longer.

And if that wasn't enough, it can withstand temperatures of up to 1,000 degrees Celsius (1,832 Fahrenheit). Because why not?

Let's end with South Africa. As you may know, or may not, the region is currently experiencing its worst drought in decades. Fortunately, even ordinary people have taken a stand. Operation Hydrate, which began early in January, has raised over $3 million and delivered over 1.2 million liters of water to the people across South Africa, including areas such as Senekal and Swartruggens. In addition to all of the local support, the movement has attracted several notable companies, particularly Coca-Cola, which has pledged to further assist with the relief efforts. Operation Hydrate - a civil society, run by ordinary people, for ordinary people. This just goes to show that we can make a difference. We can all make a slightly better world.
Sam Kinison,(emphatically), " send those people some luggage so they can MOVE TO WHERE THERE'S SOME WATER AND FOOD"
See you soon for our next update.