Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 8:25:59 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/8/2010 8:19:06 AM, innomen wrote:
Mohammed!

http://news.smh.com.au...

Times they are a changin'

Wait, I thought that was a muslim name. Is Islam more popular in England than I thought?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 8:34:37 AM
At 11/8/2010 8:25:59 AM, lovelife wrote:
Mohammed!

Wait, I thought that was a muslim name. Is Islam more popular in England than I thought?

It's pretty common in all of Europe.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 8:56:50 AM
Mohammed!

It is a Muslim name. They have a lot of Muslims in Great Britain. Mohammad is also a very common name, and the most used one in the world. It has different spellings, though, depending on the area people come from. In my native country it is Muhamed, but it is usualy Mohammad, Muhammad, Mohammed, and so forth.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 9:00:50 AM
Mohammed!

Most English people view Christianity as antiquated and hopelessly irrelevant in the age of scientific enlightenment in which we now live.

Indeed, there are far more practicing Muslims than practicing Christians in England: less than 5% of the British population regularly go to church and most of them are elderly or from Eastern Europe, Africa or America.

Of course, that doesn't mean there are more Muslims than Christians – many British people self-identify themselves as "Christian" without believing in God or the Bible – although the reason for many is that they want a traditional wedding and they need to be Christians to get married in a church,
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 9:13:42 AM
At 11/8/2010 9:00:50 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Mohammed!

Most English people view Christianity as antiquated and hopelessly irrelevant in the age of scientific enlightenment in which we now live.

Indeed, there are far more practicing Muslims than practicing Christians in England: less than 5% of the British population regularly go to church and most of them are elderly or from Eastern Europe, Africa or America.

Of course, that doesn't mean there are more Muslims than Christians – many British people self-identify themselves as "Christian" without believing in God or the Bible – although the reason for many is that they want a traditional wedding and they need to be Christians to get married in a church,

Do babies still get baptized over there?
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 9:14:20 AM
Mohammed!

-.-
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 9:22:16 AM
At 11/8/2010 9:13:42 AM, innomen wrote:

Some, possibly even most I don't know. I was not, and neither will my children be.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 10:28:42 AM
Mohammed!

That makes some sense.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 10:35:19 AM
At 11/8/2010 9:13:42 AM, innomen wrote:
Mohammed!

Babies get "christened" rather than "baptized" but it's the same thing. The practice has all but died out now - the only people I know that christened their children are from non-British ethnic backgrounds.
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 10:36:20 AM
Mohammed!

Islam is taking over Europe. Weve said this for awhile. No one believed it.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 3:29:48 PM
At 11/8/2010 10:33:10 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I was quite surprised when I read the OP. I guess that means Islam has quite a hold on the UK.

Wrong conclusion to draw from this. Lots of Islamic people call their kids Mohammed or some variation thereof. It's why it's the world most popular name. Only a small percentage of people in England are Muslims, but they have higher birth rates and a tendency to fall back on the name Mohammed. Indeed, I'm pretty sure Muslims are actually limited to a certain number of names. Add to the fact there has been an influx of multi-culturalism into Britain increasing the base of acceptable names, thus their are many names to choose from.

So yeah, not really proof Islam has a strong hold or is on the rise.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 6:41:22 PM
At 11/8/2010 3:29:48 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 11/8/2010 10:33:10 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I was quite surprised when I read the OP. I guess that means Islam has quite a hold on the UK.

Wrong conclusion to draw from this. Lots of Islamic people call their kids Mohammed or some variation thereof. It's why it's the world most popular name. Only a small percentage of people in England are Muslims, but they have higher birth rates and a tendency to fall back on the name Mohammed. Indeed, I'm pretty sure Muslims are actually limited to a certain number of names. Add to the fact there has been an influx of multi-culturalism into Britain increasing the base of acceptable names, thus their are many names to choose from.

So yeah, not really proof Islam has a strong hold or is on the rise.

High birth rate of muslims, multi-culturism, sounds like it is growing. Maybe not as fast as whats being suggested, but it is growing, so it is "on the rise"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2010 6:43:10 PM
At 11/8/2010 10:36:20 AM, juvanya wrote:
Islam is taking over Europe. Weve said this for awhile. No one believed it.

Religion itself has taken over the world... boo! That said I thought it was common knowledge that Mohammed was the most popular name in the world (it's a surprising stat about the UK though).
President of DDO
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 8:44:24 AM
Doesn't surprise me at all. My daughters school is at least 50% Muslim kids.

The most common spelling, Mohammed, was the number one name in its own right in the West Midlands region of central England which includes the city of Birmingham
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 9:38:19 AM
While i have you guys, is it true there are areas, or neighborhoods in England where Sharia law is taken into consideration, and there are accepted sharia courts?
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 9:41:08 AM
At 11/9/2010 9:38:19 AM, innomen wrote:
While i have you guys, is it true there are areas, or neighborhoods in England where Sharia law is taken into consideration, and there are accepted sharia courts?

thats a scary thought...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 9:42:15 AM

Last I heard, yes.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 9:43:48 AM
At 11/9/2010 9:41:08 AM, lovelife wrote:

thats a scary thought...

It's fairly inconceivable. I understand why Oklahoma is doing what they are.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 9:45:01 AM
At 11/9/2010 9:42:15 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Last I heard, yes.

Not really. There are special Muslim civil courts that will make decisions based on Sharia if both parties agree to it, but not criminal courts.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 9:46:22 AM

Actually it was muted a few years ago but nothing came of it which surpised me because thee Jews have their Beth Din – religious courts that have the legal authority to deal with civil disputes between Jews.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 9:47:06 AM
At 11/9/2010 9:43:48 AM, innomen wrote:

thats a scary thought...

Yeah. Its still contraversial tho.
People like mom say its not needed under the first amendment.
People like me point at New Jersey, and the fact that they are at least pushing for shari'a courts in Europe.
People like Muslims are getting pissed off about what the first amendment should already be protecting against.
Its scary times.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 9:47:27 AM
At 11/9/2010 9:45:01 AM, feverish wrote:
At 11/9/2010 9:42:15 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Last I heard, yes.

Not really. There are special Muslim civil courts that will make decisions based on Sharia if both parties agree to it, but not criminal courts.

Are the Muslim civil courts not your laws, but in your country? Whether they be civil or otherwise it is inconceivable to me, at least for it to take place here.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 9:47:45 AM

thats a scary thought...

Yea, if people move to a country they should be expected to follow the laws put in place. If Muslims want Shari'a then they should move to a country that uses it. I'm not trying to be discriminatory, but I'm just speaking the truth. I love multi-culturalism and want it, but we can't be having a different set of laws for every group.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 9:48:53 AM
At 11/9/2010 9:46:22 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Actually it was muted a few years ago but nothing came of it which surpised me because thee Jews have their Beth Din – religious courts that have the legal authority to deal with civil disputes between Jews.

But these days Jews have matured, they don't require stoning, cutting off limbs, and are against rape, right?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 9:49:57 AM
At 11/9/2010 9:48:53 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 11/9/2010 9:46:22 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

But these days Jews have matured, they don't require stoning, cutting off limbs, and are against rape, right?

Jews abolished the death penalty ages ago.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 9:53:21 AM
At 11/9/2010 9:47:45 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

thats a scary thought...

Yea, if people move to a country they should be expected to follow the laws put in place. If Muslims want Shari'a then they should move to a country that uses it. I'm not trying to be discriminatory, but I'm just speaking the truth. I love multi-culturalism and want it, but we can't be having a different set of laws for every group.

There is tolerance, and then there is accommodation to the absurd. Under Sharia law my life expectancy takes a sharp turn for the worse.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2010 9:54:05 AM
At 11/9/2010 9:47:45 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

thats a scary thought...

Yeah. They have to follow this countries laws. If Shari'a law fits in with that, fine you can personally choose that lifestyle, but I don't want someone to be raped, legally, just because she was forced into marriage with a muslim. There is so much wrong with that alone (and the main reason I'm done defending Islam)

Jews abolished the death penalty ages ago.

I knew they were more mature and civil then that.