Jump to topic:

Kalamazoo shootings from a Kalamazoo resident

Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 5:59:23 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
I have lived in Kalamazoo, MI in the very recent past, and still have a lot of friends there. I was in town the night of the shootings but had no idea they were going on because I was in a different part of town watching Pacific Rim at a friends house. I did not know anyone who died or was involved. I did talk to a county police officer that I know about the case. One of the things he said was that the very next day, there were even more shooting deaths in town (or county, not sure) but none of them made the news. This is probably because they were the typical drug/gang/domestic violence garbage that goes on in the bad part of town, especially in a minor city on the I-94 corridor halfway between Detroit and Chicago, and didn't involve one single guy doing all the shooting and none of the others were Uber drivers. Yes I think if he wasn't an Uber driver, the story would have gotten less traction. Why? There are people out there who have it out for Uber, plus it is a buzz word that will get people's attention so they will stay through the station break to watch hemorrhoid cream commercials, and Dan Dan the Mattress Man hawk his wares in front of a bad green screen.

Were the other people who died the next day less worthy of flags being lowered to half-staff? Maybe. Maybe not. Should we lower flags to half-staff everytime someone dies? No, that would cheapen the tradition, as so many state governors did during Iraqi Freedom to look compassionate or use the death of a volunteer as an opportunity to lower American morale about the whole operation. If you balk at that, did we lower the flag everytime any soldier died in any other conflict? Wouldn't that have cheapened the tradition? Wouldn't that have lowered morale when we were fighting for our survival in the War of 1812, Civil War, and WWII? Just a heads up about psychological warfare.

Anyway, the deaths increased the next day, and you know what? That was back to normal on the North side of town. Most shootings result in no injuries because the dealers can't shoot straight (not joking, there's many many shootings there but no one gets hit.) So if this is normal around here, we have to put guns and Uber and mental illness aside, because the main cause of consistent violence in the bad parts of town in my area has nothing to do with any of those three issues. The reason those guns are turned on people around here is in large part the I-94 corridor between two major metropolitan areas that have no self control: Chicago and Detroit. Detroit is so rotten, most of the city has been abandoned. I've been "downtown." It's Escape From New York without the President's daughter. Oh, the sporting stadiums are still up and running, as are the convention centers. Most of the sprawl has been converted back to farmland since arsonists torched the majority of houses which were already abandoned. The "parks" are just untended empty lots, overgrown, and no sane man would enter one lightly. The former Mayor, Kwami Kilpatrick is in prison for a long time and the city is under State government control because they are so far beyond broke they are destitute, and still cry about not being able to spend lots of money. His demeanor during the investigation was more like a 3rd world warlord or street criminal than seasoned public figure. And the locals wanted to keep him!

Chicago has long been known for it's corruption, and in the last couple years, you would have statistically been safer in Afghanistan than the South side. I'm not making that up. I've been on the South side. 100 people milling about the outlying L-train station, no where to be on time, waiting for friends or relatives who may or may not show up to drive them home, with a police car parked on either side just to watch them. Seriously, the city has to assign armed babysitters to adult "commuters."

Considering Detroit has an international crossing, and it's no wonder drug, human, and who knows whatever other trafficking flows through Benton Harbor, Kalamazoo, and Battle Creek. Would legalizing drugs do the trick? The drug lords are so entrenched, and many drugs can only be made from plants in tropical areas. Would offering a rehab or execution choice to users work? (It's not that shocking, people are already executing eachoter, why not kill the people feeding the problem who are unwilling to try to stop?) Maybe put Chicago and Detroit under Illinois and Michigan State Police control? I'm not really sure.

One thing we should do I'm sure, is public executions for human traffickers and buyers of slaves.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2016 3:01:50 PM
At 3/6/2016 5:59:23 AM, Skynet wrote:
I have lived in Kalamazoo, MI in the very recent past, and still have a lot of friends there. I was in town the night of the shootings but had no idea they were going on because I was in a different part of town watching Pacific Rim at a friends house. I did not know anyone who died or was involved. I did talk to a county police officer that I know about the case. One of the things he said was that the very next day, there were even more shooting deaths in town (or county, not sure) but none of them made the news. This is probably because they were the typical drug/gang/domestic violence garbage that goes on in the bad part of town, especially in a minor city on the I-94 corridor halfway between Detroit and Chicago, and didn't involve one single guy doing all the shooting and none of the others were Uber drivers. Yes I think if he wasn't an Uber driver, the story would have gotten less traction. Why? There are people out there who have it out for Uber, plus it is a buzz word that will get people's attention so they will stay through the station break to watch hemorrhoid cream commercials, and Dan Dan the Mattress Man hawk his wares in front of a bad green screen.

Were the other people who died the next day less worthy of flags being lowered to half-staff? Maybe. Maybe not. Should we lower flags to half-staff everytime someone dies? No, that would cheapen the tradition, as so many state governors did during Iraqi Freedom to look compassionate or use the death of a volunteer as an opportunity to lower American morale about the whole operation. If you balk at that, did we lower the flag everytime any soldier died in any other conflict? Wouldn't that have cheapened the tradition? Wouldn't that have lowered morale when we were fighting for our survival in the War of 1812, Civil War, and WWII? Just a heads up about psychological warfare.

Anyway, the deaths increased the next day, and you know what? That was back to normal on the North side of town. Most shootings result in no injuries because the dealers can't shoot straight (not joking, there's many many shootings there but no one gets hit.) So if this is normal around here, we have to put guns and Uber and mental illness aside, because the main cause of consistent violence in the bad parts of town in my area has nothing to do with any of those three issues. The reason those guns are turned on people around here is in large part the I-94 corridor between two major metropolitan areas that have no self control: Chicago and Detroit. Detroit is so rotten, most of the city has been abandoned. I've been "downtown." It's Escape From New York without the President's daughter. Oh, the sporting stadiums are still up and running, as are the convention centers. Most of the sprawl has been converted back to farmland since arsonists torched the majority of houses which were already abandoned. The "parks" are just untended empty lots, overgrown, and no sane man would enter one lightly. The former Mayor, Kwami Kilpatrick is in prison for a long time and the city is under State government control because they are so far beyond broke they are destitute, and still cry about not being able to spend lots of money. His demeanor during the investigation was more like a 3rd world warlord or street criminal than seasoned public figure. And the locals wanted to keep him!

Chicago has long been known for it's corruption, and in the last couple years, you would have statistically been safer in Afghanistan than the South side. I'm not making that up. I've been on the South side. 100 people milling about the outlying L-train station, no where to be on time, waiting for friends or relatives who may or may not show up to drive them home, with a police car parked on either side just to watch them. Seriously, the city has to assign armed babysitters to adult "commuters."

Considering Detroit has an international crossing, and it's no wonder drug, human, and who knows whatever other trafficking flows through Benton Harbor, Kalamazoo, and Battle Creek. Would legalizing drugs do the trick? The drug lords are so entrenched, and many drugs can only be made from plants in tropical areas. Would offering a rehab or execution choice to users work? (It's not that shocking, people are already executing eachoter, why not kill the people feeding the problem who are unwilling to try to stop?) Maybe put Chicago and Detroit under Illinois and Michigan State Police control? I'm not really sure.

One thing we should do I'm sure, is public executions for human traffickers and buyers of slaves.

Executions are one thing. Public executions are another. Trust me, I doubt public executions will do anything other than
A. Put fear in everyone
B. Make people mad
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Skynet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2016 2:22:39 AM
At 3/6/2016 3:01:50 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 3/6/2016 5:59:23 AM, Skynet wrote:

Executions are one thing. Public executions are another. Trust me, I doubt public executions will do anything other than
A. Put fear in everyone
B. Make people mad

A. is the goal. If B really is an issue, as long as it's public knowledge, I wouldn't push public viewing.
One perk to being a dad is you get to watch cartoons again without explaining yourself.