Jump to topic:

The Know-Nothing resurgence

someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 1:50:27 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
Some people (and journalists) have noticed the parallels between Trump and the Know Nothings of yore. Of course, by their dim, dim lights, this is to be taken as an insult by the targeted.

I don't think they get out much.

Around a week ago, Roger "Defense of Murdoch" Cohen wrote (http://www.nytimes.com...):

On the evidence, ethnocentrism is a pretty basic human instinct.
hear! hear!

Cohen gets it. or... some part of "it". But why wouldn't he come to the obvious conclusion?

Britain is seriously debating leaving the European Union, the greatest force for peace and stability in Europe since the carnage of the 1940s.
Maybe it's because he believes "things" like that. I'm sure it'll be a hyuuuge hit among the growing amount of AfD, UKIP, and FN voters.

American isolationism is an oxymoron because America is a universal idea.
Cohen seems to be, like so many* of the cognoscenti, enamored with the concept of the propositional nation. Because, as we are Reliably Informed, the Rights of Englishmen and their posterity were established with pluralism in mind.

maybe that's why Hamilton wrote as he did:

"The opinion advanced is undoubtedly correct, that foreigners will generally be apt to bring with them attachments to the persons they have left behind; to the country of their nativity, and to its particular customs and manners. They will also entertain opinions on government congenial with those under which they have lived; or, if they should be led hither from a preference to ours, how extremely unlikely is it that they will bring with them that temperate love of liberty, so essential to real republicanism?"

*to a man, they're ideological schizophrenics. you're too dumb to live, Roger.
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2016 2:02:50 AM
Ethnocentrism has always been a human construct based upon the notion that one must defend their ethnicity, as they should.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
SocialJusticeWarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 12:39:33 AM
At 5/24/2016 2:02:50 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Ethnocentrism has always been a human construct based upon the notion that one must defend their ethnicity, as they should.

I was going to challenge you a debate on race, but you blocked me. Would you mind unblocking me so I can challenge you?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 12:44:44 AM
At 5/25/2016 12:39:33 AM, SocialJusticeWarrior wrote:

I was going to challenge you a debate on race, but you blocked me. Would you mind unblocking me so I can challenge you?

I didn't block you. I have debate challenges turned off because I don't have time.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2016 12:45:44 AM

Also, if you truly want to challenge someone on race, send someloser a request. He has time and the willingness to debate it.

SocialJusticeWarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:51:28 PM
At 5/25/2016 12:45:44 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Also, if you truly want to challenge someone on race, send someloser a request. He has time and the willingness to debate it.

someloser doesn't admit to supporting racial supremacy though,
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 8:58:32 PM
At 5/28/2016 8:51:28 PM, SocialJusticeWarrior wrote:

Well, neither of us support racial supremacy. It's all a matter of how small your brain is to understand that there is a difference between supremacy and demographic fact.

SocialJusticeWarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:03:06 PM
At 5/28/2016 8:58:32 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Well, neither of us support racial supremacy. It's all a matter of how small your brain is to understand that there is a difference between supremacy and demographic fact.

Then judging by previous posts, you claimed to prefer whites over blacks in general, and you supported stopping minorities from voting. If you hate minorities so much, how are you not a racist?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:05:49 PM
At 5/28/2016 9:03:06 PM, SocialJusticeWarrior wrote:

Then judging by previous posts, you claimed to prefer whites over blacks in general, and you supported stopping minorities from voting. If you hate minorities so much, how are you not a racist?

I preferred whites over blacks in a hypothetical question I was asked, and I was halfway joking considering triangle was being annoying.

I don't support stopping minorities from voting, I support stopping illiterates and the uneducated from voting. If those happen to be minorities, that's their problem and not something I care about.

SocialJusticeWarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:08:07 PM
At 5/28/2016 9:05:49 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I preferred whites over blacks in a hypothetical question I was asked, and I was halfway joking considering triangle was being annoying.

Yeah but you said you would save 20 whites over 80 blacks in the topic you posted in. (when wylted asked if the survival rate was flipped)

I don't support stopping minorities from voting, I support stopping illiterates and the uneducated from voting. If those happen to be minorities, that's their problem and not something I care about.

Then what's with your wording?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:10:40 PM
At 5/28/2016 9:08:07 PM, SocialJusticeWarrior wrote:

Yeah but you said you would save 20 whites over 80 blacks in the topic you posted in. (when wylted asked if the survival rate was flipped)

Lol yep. That's cause I know Wylted personally and I'm just f-ing around with him.

What wording?

SocialJusticeWarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:16:50 PM
At 5/28/2016 9:10:40 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Lol yep. That's cause I know Wylted personally and I'm just f-ing around with him.

What wording?

Maybe you can come up with excuses, but I've still seen you over-generalize minorities plenty of times in your previous posts. It seems somewhat evident you're a racist that's doing a bad job of denying it. Other people on here seem to be far better at denying their racism.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:41:05 PM
At 5/28/2016 9:16:50 PM, SocialJusticeWarrior wrote:

What wording?

Maybe you can come up with excuses, but I've still seen you over-generalize minorities plenty of times in your previous posts. It seems somewhat evident you're a racist that's doing a bad job of denying it. Other people on here seem to be far better at denying their racism.

Maybe you can actually answer my question instead of being denser than osmium and using buzzwords like the idiot you are.

SocialJusticeWarrior
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:44:23 PM
At 5/28/2016 9:41:05 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

What wording?

Maybe you can actually answer my question instead of being denser than osmium and using buzzwords like the idiot you are.

Wow, you have to resort to ad hominem, don't you?
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 9:54:13 PM
At 5/28/2016 9:44:23 PM, SocialJusticeWarrior wrote:
At 5/28/2016 9:41:05 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:

What wording?

Wow, you have to resort to ad hominem, don't you?

You think calling someone a racist and a white supremacist isn't an ad hominem?