Jump to topic:

Space Nation "Asgardia"

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 7:54:14 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
A group of scientists and experts have announced that they will devote their efforts to the establishment of a country in space.
This "country" would consist of a space station called Asgardia. It would help protect the earth from cosmic debris and it'd reportedly be a haven for free enterprise and scientific research. They plan to launch their first satellite late next year, and they hope to one day be recognised by the UN. They are now accepting applications for citizenship.
Article: http://www.bbc.com...
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2016 4:57:16 AM
At 10/14/2016 7:54:14 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
A group of scientists and experts have announced that they will devote their efforts to the establishment of a country in space.
This "country" would consist of a space station called Asgardia. It would help protect the earth from cosmic debris and it'd reportedly be a haven for free enterprise and scientific research. They plan to launch their first satellite late next year, and they hope to one day be recognised by the UN. They are now accepting applications for citizenship.

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure it can be realistic.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Lynx_N
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 4:48:48 PM
200 miles high club?
Why not go to the Moon and start colonizing it instead?
That's where humanity will be going anyway, sooner or later.
Maybe the time is ripe for sooner right now?
Bronto?
Congrats.

poet
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 5:34:53 PM

sounds like something that will air on the syfy channel, Babylon 5? though way back the claim was people would live underwater before space so who knows.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 11:00:59 PM
At 10/18/2016 5:34:53 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

sounds like something that will air on the syfy channel, Babylon 5? though way back the claim was people would live underwater before space so who knows.

Asgardia...wonder if Yhor, Odin, Loki, freya, heimdall, et al will be there? Lol
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 12:24:51 PM
At 10/18/2016 11:00:59 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

Asgardia...wonder if Yhor, Odin, Loki, freya, heimdall, et al will be there? Lol

sounds like a great idea for a prison, er wait I think that's a movie too....
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2016 12:28:44 PM
At 10/19/2016 12:24:51 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 10/18/2016 11:00:59 PM, Stymie13 wrote:

sounds like a great idea for a prison, er wait I think that's a movie too....

Jason Bourne goes to prison. Lol

Was it any good?
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 8:35:46 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 10/18/2016 4:48:48 PM, Lynx_N wrote:

For the same reason that we don't go straight to colonizing Pluto, which is that it isn't as easy as Asgardia.
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Lynx_N
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 9:40:55 AM
At 11/19/2016 8:35:46 AM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
At 10/18/2016 4:48:48 PM, Lynx_N wrote:

For the same reason that we don't go straight to colonizing Pluto, which is that it isn't as easy as Asgardia.

I think it's more a question of willpower than overcoming techically challenging projects.

Going on 40 years in improving computers, navigation systems, etc, a trip to the Moon nowadays should be just a matter of making a decision during a board meeting.

A simple matter of money if you will.

Who knows, perhaps Trump will see the potential benefits there are in establishing colonies on the Moon, he of all people should know what that means.
Bronto?
Congrats.

poet
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 10:16:42 AM
At 11/19/2016 9:40:55 AM, Lynx_N wrote:
Going on 40 years in improving computers, navigation systems, etc, a trip to the Moon nowadays should be just a matter of making a decision during a board meeting.

Read what I said. I wasn't saying that colonization of the moon was impossible, I said it is signifigantly more difficult than the Asardia concept.

Taking a trip there is easy, sure. Colonization is not even close to the same thing.

Who knows, perhaps Trump will see the potential benefits there are in establishing colonies on the Moon, he of all people should know what that means.

Besides the fact that such a thing would take more than eight years so who we have as President of America is obviously irrelevant, what financial benefit would there be for the U.S to fund an international colonization of the moon?

Look, there is a reason this thread is talking about a new nation inhabiting space and not talking about an existing nation inhabiting space. You're blinding yourself by only paying attention to the 'inhabiting space' part when in fact the 'new nation' part is much more important, due to the fact that under international law it is illegal for any earth-bound nation to lay claim to any land on any celestial object.

This is why easier is better, because people trying to inhabit space do not have as much in the way of resources as a government-funded colinization mission would.

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Lynx_N
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2016 1:41:53 PM
At 11/19/2016 10:16:42 AM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
At 11/19/2016 9:40:55 AM, Lynx_N wrote:

Read what I said. I wasn't saying that colonization of the moon was impossible, I said it is signifigantly more difficult than the Asardia concept.

Taking a trip there is easy, sure. Colonization is not even close to the same thing.

Besides the fact that such a thing would take more than eight years so who we have as President of America is obviously irrelevant, what financial benefit would there be for the U.S to fund an international colonization of the moon?

Look, there is a reason this thread is talking about a new nation inhabiting space and not talking about an existing nation inhabiting space. You're blinding yourself by only paying attention to the 'inhabiting space' part when in fact the 'new nation' part is much more important, due to the fact that under international law it is illegal for any earth-bound nation to lay claim to any land on any celestial object.

This is why easier is better, because people trying to inhabit space do not have as much in the way of resources as a government-funded colinization mission would.

You're quite right, I do disregard all and any political aspects there would be in undertaking such a venture as colonizing the Moon, I only see the relative technological easiness involved for all and any practical measures which may come with such projects.

I do believe humanity will expand and will continue to expand, unless of course some cataclysmic event happens which puts an end to all this expansion, that way humanity will eventually not have much of a choice but to turn to our nearest celestial bodies/neighbours solely to find more space for this very reason.

If it means nations has to find a way to come together as one, the way it's described in so many beautiful songs, in order for some such thing to happen as the colonization of the Moon, so be it, then it would be all worth it.

Meanwhile I guess space stations such as in the OP could be a first step to help our leaders realising the insanity of not seeing eye to eye regarding colonizing our own solar system.
Bronto?
Congrats.

poet
Discipulus_Didicit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 10:32:38 AM
At 11/19/2016 1:41:53 PM, Lynx_N wrote:

Meanwhile I guess space stations such as in the OP could be a first step to help our leaders realising the insanity of not seeing eye to eye regarding colonizing our own solar system.

Huh? How does the fact that they disagree with you translate into them not seeing eye-to-eye? If they didn't see eye-to-eye they wouldn't be in universal agreement on international space law, but they are. You're speaking litteral nonsense.

Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Lynx_N
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 12:29:44 PM
At 11/20/2016 10:32:38 AM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
At 11/19/2016 1:41:53 PM, Lynx_N wrote:

Huh? How does the fact that they disagree with you translate into them not seeing eye-to-eye? If they didn't see eye-to-eye they wouldn't be in universal agreement on international space law, but they are. You're speaking litteral nonsense.

Alright, you win.
Bronto?
Congrats.

poet