Jump to topic:

Do news papers need to die off?

DrKaboom44
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 5:35:41 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
I personally love the feel of a newspaper and being able to hold important information you can keep and read again. That's more of the nostalgic feeling of it but the part about reading it again is why I don't like having the news online. If we put all of the news information online for the past year and burned all of the newspapers and stopped producing them and then some catastrophe happened we would be in a panic and cities couldn't communicate to its people. I know this sounds silly but newspapers are starting to become the forgotten hero's and I don't want that to happen.

I'm only making this post to hear opinions. Feel free to add on, but I'm not trying to advocate for anything.
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 9:03:15 PM
At 11/21/2016 5:35:41 PM, DrKaboom44 wrote:
I personally love the feel of a newspaper and being able to hold important information you can keep and read again. That's more of the nostalgic feeling of it but the part about reading it again is why I don't like having the news online. If we put all of the news information online for the past year and burned all of the newspapers and stopped producing them and then some catastrophe happened we would be in a panic and cities couldn't communicate to its people. I know this sounds silly but newspapers are starting to become the forgotten hero's and I don't want that to happen.

I'm only making this post to hear opinions. Feel free to add on, but I'm not trying to advocate for anything.

I believe newspapers will die off in the next 10 years, with the new technology, nobody is going out to buy a newspaper anymore unless you are over 50, everyone now has it on their phone and laptop, no need to buy a paper.

From the business point of view, printing companies are closing down because there just isn't demand for newspaper subscriptions anymore, newspaper companies are all digital now.

I have to say I do like the feel of a newspaper especially when I'm on the toilet, I don't want my tablet with me there.. hahahah Also if the power goes out I can still read my paper by candle light
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2016 10:59:29 PM
At 11/22/2016 9:03:15 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:

I believe newspapers will die off in the next 10 years, with the new technology, nobody is going out to buy a newspaper anymore unless you are over 50, everyone now has it on their phone and laptop, no need to buy a paper.

From the business point of view, printing companies are closing down because there just isn't demand for newspaper subscriptions anymore, newspaper companies are all digital now.

I have to say I do like the feel of a newspaper especially when I'm on the toilet, I don't want my tablet with me there.. hahahah Also if the power goes out I can still read my paper by candle light

Wrong everyone doesn't have a phone and/or laptop....Remember homeless people? Remember the ones that are disabled such as the blind? Remember impoverished people living in run down motels/hotels? we must not forget the people that cannot afford the minor luxuries.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 9:59:02 PM
At 11/22/2016 10:59:29 PM, Hiu wrote:

Wrong everyone doesn't have a phone and/or laptop....Remember homeless people? Remember the ones that are disabled such as the blind? Remember impoverished people living in run down motels/hotels? we must not forget the people that cannot afford the minor luxuries.

Homeless people often have a phone as well. Newspapers are great. Blind people can't read them.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 6:28:02 AM
At 11/23/2016 9:59:02 PM, Quadrunner wrote:

Homeless people often have a phone as well. Newspapers are great. Blind people can't read them.

Why are you making assumptions? A lot of homeless people don't have phones....A trip down skid row would tell you that..
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2016 4:42:40 PM
At 11/25/2016 6:28:02 AM, Hiu wrote:

Why are you making assumptions? A lot of homeless people don't have phones....A trip down skid row would tell you that..

Homeless people don't want a newspaper unless it's to wipe their a$$, they want a bottle
Hiu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 1:41:25 AM
At 11/25/2016 4:42:40 PM, FanboyMctroll wrote:

Homeless people don't want a newspaper unless it's to wipe their a$$, they want a bottle

And you're making an assumption as well....Alcoholics want a bottle some homeless people often deal with psychiatric issues which prevents them from indulging in a lot of minor luxuries.
Stymie13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2016 10:10:46 PM
Posted: 6 days ago

Don't think you quite know what the hell you are talking about
Loredj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2016 4:14:32 PM
Posted: 5 days ago
Let me start by saying I am totally against the abolition of newspapers. Although I am what they call a Millennial, I am all for a printed newspaper or at least a combination of online and offline media. I am very digitally minded but I think some things should remain the way they are and newspapers are one of them. I still read my newspaper everyday and not on a tablet or smartphone.

By this I don"t mean that the online version of a newspaper should disappear but I think that people who want to read a physical newspaper should always have the option to do it. I think about my parents and especially grandparents who aren"t that comfortable or used to handle a smartphone or tablet.

I totally agree with some of you saying that the environment will only benefit from abolishing the printed newspaper but have you thought about the social environment too? How many jobs would get cut if all publishers, printing offices and so on were required to close their doors?

Another argument I would like to bring up is the education of our future children. I speak for myself when I say I will encourage my future children to read the printed version of a newspaper. With the digitalisation going faster than ever, everything will be handled online. Even in High School or maybe already in Primary School, children will need a computer to work with. I would like my children to experience printed media. It is also proven that too much staring at computer screens can cause permanent headaches, which is very bad for children growing up.

I am not saying that digitalisation is a bad thing, on the contrary, I encourage system improvements but some things need to remain authentic, like newspapers.
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 6:49:53 PM
Posted: 4 days ago
At 11/27/2016 4:14:32 PM, Loredj wrote:
Let me start by saying I am totally against the abolition of newspapers. Although I am what they call a Millennial, I am all for a printed newspaper or at least a combination of online and offline media. I am very digitally minded but I think some things should remain the way they are and newspapers are one of them. I still read my newspaper everyday and not on a tablet or smartphone.

By this I don"t mean that the online version of a newspaper should disappear but I think that people who want to read a physical newspaper should always have the option to do it. I think about my parents and especially grandparents who aren"t that comfortable or used to handle a smartphone or tablet.

I totally agree with some of you saying that the environment will only benefit from abolishing the printed newspaper but have you thought about the social environment too? How many jobs would get cut if all publishers, printing offices and so on were required to close their doors?

Another argument I would like to bring up is the education of our future children. I speak for myself when I say I will encourage my future children to read the printed version of a newspaper. With the digitalisation going faster than ever, everything will be handled online. Even in High School or maybe already in Primary School, children will need a computer to work with. I would like my children to experience printed media. It is also proven that too much staring at computer screens can cause permanent headaches, which is very bad for children growing up.

I am not saying that digitalisation is a bad thing, on the contrary, I encourage system improvements but some things need to remain authentic, like newspapers.

Unfortunately there is no room for sentimental feelings when it comes to newspapers. Newspaper companies are losing a lot of money printing papers that most people do not read anymore, that is why papers will disappear eventually, it won't be profitable anymore. People said the same thing about VHS and video stores, sure it was nice to go out to Blockbuster and maybe meet someone there and socialize but the truth is VHS is gone, Blockbuster is gone and people stream everything from their couch now, that will be the same outcome for newspapers, people will just access it on-line from home, no need to go out to buy a paper or pick up the paper from the front door where the delivery boy left it. The older people who still read newspapers will die off eventually and the new generation doesn't read papers. As for the few that do, it's too bad because businesses only cater to the largest market for the most profit so if you like newspapers you will be out of luck when they stop printing them. Just like the 3D TV, where is it now, few people bought them and the glasses and now it's gone.
FanboyMctroll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 6:51:24 PM
Posted: 4 days ago
At 11/26/2016 1:41:25 AM, Hiu wrote:

And you're making an assumption as well....Alcoholics want a bottle some homeless people often deal with psychiatric issues which prevents them from indulging in a lot of minor luxuries.

Sorry offer them Listerine, they like drinking that and it keeps their breath fresh