Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Is it just me?

innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:08:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Does it seem like there is an inordinate amount of press given to the progress of Gabrielle Giffords? Don't get me wrong, it was horrible what happened, but this isn't the first time. There was the Fort Hood gunman, and the DC sniper who must have caused equal or more pain and misery to people. I also realize that she's a congress woman, but it just feels like i am hearing her every movement at each news cast. Dunno, could be me.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:16:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/21/2011 11:08:01 AM, innomen wrote:
Does it seem like there is an inordinate amount of press given to the progress of Gabrielle Giffords? Don't get me wrong, it was horrible what happened, but this isn't the first time. There was the Fort Hood gunman, and the DC sniper who must have caused equal or more pain and misery to people. I also realize that she's a congress woman, but it just feels like i am hearing her every movement at each news cast. Dunno, could be me.

It is because she is still alive. When someone just dies, they stay dead for a really long time. Or if they survive, they stay alive, but she is kind of in limbo (or was while in the coma). Plus, people enjoy hearing about miraculous recoveries against the odds.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:20:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/21/2011 11:16:34 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 1/21/2011 11:08:01 AM, innomen wrote:
Does it seem like there is an inordinate amount of press given to the progress of Gabrielle Giffords? Don't get me wrong, it was horrible what happened, but this isn't the first time. There was the Fort Hood gunman, and the DC sniper who must have caused equal or more pain and misery to people. I also realize that she's a congress woman, but it just feels like i am hearing her every movement at each news cast. Dunno, could be me.

It is because she is still alive. When someone just dies, they stay dead for a really long time. Or if they survive, they stay alive, but she is kind of in limbo (or was while in the coma). Plus, people enjoy hearing about miraculous recoveries against the odds.

You don't think there were similar cases in the other shootings? You don't get a feel of a little political exploitation? Maybe I'm just getting too skeptical.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:22:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/21/2011 11:08:01 AM, innomen wrote:
Does it seem like there is an inordinate amount of press given to the progress of Gabrielle Giffords? Don't get me wrong, it was horrible what happened, but this isn't the first time. There was the Fort Hood gunman, and the DC sniper who must have caused equal or more pain and misery to people. I also realize that she's a congress woman, but it just feels like i am hearing her every movement at each news cast. Dunno, could be me.:

Whenever you see a lot of press, it usually translates to a lack of entertaining news elsewhere. The Gifford case is the biggest thing in the news right now, so they're harping on it.

I wouldn't lose sight of the fact that media is a business who have ratings to keep up to keep sponsors and shareholders happy.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:23:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/21/2011 11:22:12 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 1/21/2011 11:08:01 AM, innomen wrote:
Does it seem like there is an inordinate amount of press given to the progress of Gabrielle Giffords? Don't get me wrong, it was horrible what happened, but this isn't the first time. There was the Fort Hood gunman, and the DC sniper who must have caused equal or more pain and misery to people. I also realize that she's a congress woman, but it just feels like i am hearing her every movement at each news cast. Dunno, could be me.:

Whenever you see a lot of press, it usually translates to a lack of entertaining news elsewhere. The Gifford case is the biggest thing in the news right now, so they're harping on it.

I wouldn't lose sight of the fact that media is a business who have ratings to keep up to keep sponsors and shareholders happy.

I never lose sight of that. However, you can trust me that there's a lot of stuff going on in the world that we never hear a word about. Actually, you would probably know this better than most.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:23:49 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/21/2011 11:20:14 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/21/2011 11:16:34 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 1/21/2011 11:08:01 AM, innomen wrote:
Does it seem like there is an inordinate amount of press given to the progress of Gabrielle Giffords? Don't get me wrong, it was horrible what happened, but this isn't the first time. There was the Fort Hood gunman, and the DC sniper who must have caused equal or more pain and misery to people. I also realize that she's a congress woman, but it just feels like i am hearing her every movement at each news cast. Dunno, could be me.

It is because she is still alive. When someone just dies, they stay dead for a really long time. Or if they survive, they stay alive, but she is kind of in limbo (or was while in the coma). Plus, people enjoy hearing about miraculous recoveries against the odds.

You don't think there were similar cases in the other shootings? You don't get a feel of a little political exploitation? Maybe I'm just getting too skeptical.

I'm sure there is that factor, however she is also getting a lot of play on FOX, which certainly isn't siding with the democrat political party.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:31:13 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/21/2011 11:23:49 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 1/21/2011 11:20:14 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/21/2011 11:16:34 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 1/21/2011 11:08:01 AM, innomen wrote:
Does it seem like there is an inordinate amount of press given to the progress of Gabrielle Giffords? Don't get me wrong, it was horrible what happened, but this isn't the first time. There was the Fort Hood gunman, and the DC sniper who must have caused equal or more pain and misery to people. I also realize that she's a congress woman, but it just feels like i am hearing her every movement at each news cast. Dunno, could be me.

It is because she is still alive. When someone just dies, they stay dead for a really long time. Or if they survive, they stay alive, but she is kind of in limbo (or was while in the coma). Plus, people enjoy hearing about miraculous recoveries against the odds.

You don't think there were similar cases in the other shootings? You don't get a feel of a little political exploitation? Maybe I'm just getting too skeptical.

I'm sure there is that factor, however she is also getting a lot of play on FOX, which certainly isn't siding with the democrat political party.

Watching Fox are you? Be careful, the elitists may find out.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:36:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I never lose sight of that. However, you can trust me that there's a lot of stuff going on in the world that we never hear a word about. Actually, you would probably know this better than most.:

Perhaps so. I almost never know what's going on in the news anymore. Found out yesterday, though, that 127 suspected mafioso's were rounded up. I would think a case of that magnitude (and something we really haven't seen since the 80's with the invention of the RICO statute) that this would be overshadowing the Giffords case.

So, perhaps you have a point and I'm just ignorant of it. Who is giving the most Gifford coverage and are they still trying to play pin-the-tail-on Palin?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:37:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/21/2011 11:23:49 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 1/21/2011 11:20:14 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/21/2011 11:16:34 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 1/21/2011 11:08:01 AM, innomen wrote:
Does it seem like there is an inordinate amount of press given to the progress of Gabrielle Giffords? Don't get me wrong, it was horrible what happened, but this isn't the first time. There was the Fort Hood gunman, and the DC sniper who must have caused equal or more pain and misery to people. I also realize that she's a congress woman, but it just feels like i am hearing her every movement at each news cast. Dunno, could be me.

It is because she is still alive. When someone just dies, they stay dead for a really long time. Or if they survive, they stay alive, but she is kind of in limbo (or was while in the coma). Plus, people enjoy hearing about miraculous recoveries against the odds.

You don't think there were similar cases in the other shootings? You don't get a feel of a little political exploitation? Maybe I'm just getting too skeptical.

I'm sure there is that factor, however she is also getting a lot of play on FOX, which certainly isn't siding with the democrat political party.

Please tell me you only watch faux to make fun of them?
Or at least have a private laugh about what some idiots on there keep saying?

Anyway I haven't actually heard too much about it. I get most of my news from DDO, reading fb statuses, and links I'm given to news involving Israel usually.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:41:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Watching Fox are you? Be careful, the elitists may find out.:

I think I only know of one other homosexual on the planet who doesn't bash FOX, and that's Andrew Sullivan. You two are rare breeds
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:41:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/21/2011 11:37:28 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 1/21/2011 11:23:49 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 1/21/2011 11:20:14 AM, innomen wrote:
At 1/21/2011 11:16:34 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 1/21/2011 11:08:01 AM, innomen wrote:
Does it seem like there is an inordinate amount of press given to the progress of Gabrielle Giffords? Don't get me wrong, it was horrible what happened, but this isn't the first time. There was the Fort Hood gunman, and the DC sniper who must have caused equal or more pain and misery to people. I also realize that she's a congress woman, but it just feels like i am hearing her every movement at each news cast. Dunno, could be me.

It is because she is still alive. When someone just dies, they stay dead for a really long time. Or if they survive, they stay alive, but she is kind of in limbo (or was while in the coma). Plus, people enjoy hearing about miraculous recoveries against the odds.

You don't think there were similar cases in the other shootings? You don't get a feel of a little political exploitation? Maybe I'm just getting too skeptical.

I'm sure there is that factor, however she is also getting a lot of play on FOX, which certainly isn't siding with the democrat political party.

Please tell me you only watch faux to make fun of them?
Or at least have a private laugh about what some idiots on there keep saying?

Anyway I haven't actually heard too much about it. I get most of my news from DDO, reading fb statuses, and links I'm given to news involving Israel usually.

You are critical of people who get their news from Fox, but you get your "news" from facebook statuses? Seriously?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:44:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Please tell me you only watch faux to make fun of them?
Or at least have a private laugh about what some idiots on there keep saying?:

Lovelife, give it a rest. Media is media. They're all full of crap to one degree or another, but virtually every other network is biased to Left. Pointing out FOX's penchant for leaning to the Right is kind of comical given it's a tiny island in a sea of leftist bias.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:47:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/21/2011 11:31:13 AM, innomen wrote:

Watching Fox are you? Be careful, the elitists may find out.

I watch and listen to everything. Throughout the day, I listen to Rush Limbaugh, then to Ed Schultz, just to see what the fundamentalists on each side are hearing. And I try to hit ABC, MSNBC, and FOX for the same stories (so I read the same story 3 times, for different angles). Then, I go home and cry for wasting a little bit of my soul.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:52:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/21/2011 11:44:11 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Please tell me you only watch faux to make fun of them?
Or at least have a private laugh about what some idiots on there keep saying?:

Lovelife, give it a rest. Media is media. They're all full of crap to one degree or another, but virtually every other network is biased to Left. Pointing out FOX's penchant for leaning to the Right is kind of comical given it's a tiny island in a sea of leftist bias.

Actually, Fox is bigger then any other news station (as a single station). And it's parent News Corp is the second largest in the world (in terms of revenue), behind Disney.

But there is a logic explanation why Fox leans right. Money, not because they are evil, they see a market, while most other news leans left, Fox found that there is a vast market that wants something that leans right. Even if the left are 65% of the pop and the right is 35%, it is better to have all 35% to yourself, then to fight with several others for the 65%.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 4:09:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/21/2011 11:52:01 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 1/21/2011 11:44:11 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Please tell me you only watch faux to make fun of them?
Or at least have a private laugh about what some idiots on there keep saying?:

Lovelife, give it a rest. Media is media. They're all full of crap to one degree or another, but virtually every other network is biased to Left. Pointing out FOX's penchant for leaning to the Right is kind of comical given it's a tiny island in a sea of leftist bias.

Actually, Fox is bigger then any other news station (as a single station). And it's parent News Corp is the second largest in the world (in terms of revenue), behind Disney.

But there is a logic explanation why Fox leans right. Money, not because they are evil, they see a market, while most other news leans left, Fox found that there is a vast market that wants something that leans right. Even if the left are 65% of the pop and the right is 35%, it is better to have all 35% to yourself, then to fight with several others for the 65%.

It was a brilliant, if not obvious business decision.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 4:11:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/21/2011 11:41:02 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Watching Fox are you? Be careful, the elitists may find out.:

I think I only know of one other homosexual on the planet who doesn't bash FOX, and that's Andrew Sullivan. You two are rare breeds

And we share the same last name. I don't actually watch it, mostly because i don't watch much TV. Like you i find them all kind of crappy, and see little difference if they are slanted to the left versus slanted to the right. Heck, i listen to talk radio like OreEle. You live in NH, do you ever listen to Howie Carr? I listen to him all the time, because i think he's pretty funny.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 4:37:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think it was the timing of the shooting...

When Obama was campaigning, he promised a lot and energized the country through grass roots movements and smart campaign skills. The majority of the country was hopeful and mostly supportive of his ideals and policy ideas.

However, within the last two years, the nation that was promised so much was confronted with reality -- compromise and filibusters are what rule Congress. Obama's approval ratings began to decrease and the US (especially the media) became increasingly critical of Obama. The amount of focus on the "negativity" of the Obama administration has also steadily increased, imo.

Anyways, then we are faced with the Republicans taking over the House and decreasing the Democratic lead in the Senate. This created even more political tension and doubt for the Obama administration. And right when attention on politics and anger/doubt is at it's all time high for the last two years -- a Republican congresswomen was shot and others wounded/killed.

Of course this will create a massive affect on the US and media. They feel that it's the perfect example of where the country is going politically and that the frustration around the country is only mounting. If this had happened two years ago, I think the amount of time spent on it would be quite less. Just my opinion of it all though.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 9:34:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/21/2011 4:37:03 PM, annhasle wrote:
I think it was the timing of the shooting...

She was a Democratic congresswoman, wasn't she, annhasle?

And I'm surprised how little talk there has been in the media about the wider implications of this, for instance:

'Should frothing neo-fascist nutjobs with a history of bizarre behaviour be allowed to run around willy-nilly carrying loaded firearms?' and

‘Why is there a tendency of right-wing extremists to resort to violence if their preferred candidates are not elected?', etc.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 9:54:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/27/2011 9:34:04 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 1/21/2011 4:37:03 PM, annhasle wrote:
I think it was the timing of the shooting...

She was a Democratic congresswoman, wasn't she, annhasle?

And I'm surprised how little talk there has been in the media about the wider implications of this, for instance:

'Should frothing neo-fascist nutjobs with a history of bizarre behaviour be allowed to run around willy-nilly carrying loaded firearms?' and

Nice try, but he purchased his gun illegally. http://robdoar.com...

‘Why is there a tendency of right-wing extremists to resort to violence if their preferred candidates are not elected?', etc.

Loughner was a right wing extremist? And seriously, you're making a big deal about a congresswoman, who's expected to recover, when this jerkoff killed an effing 9 year old?
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 10:42:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/27/2011 9:54:07 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 1/27/2011 9:34:04 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
At 1/21/2011 4:37:03 PM, annhasle wrote:
I think it was the timing of the shooting...

She was a Democratic congresswoman, wasn't she, annhasle?

And I'm surprised how little talk there has been in the media about the wider implications of this, for instance:

'Should frothing neo-fascist nutjobs with a history of bizarre behaviour be allowed to run around willy-nilly carrying loaded firearms?' and

Nice try, but he purchased his gun illegally. http://robdoar.com...

‘Why is there a tendency of right-wing extremists to resort to violence if their preferred candidates are not elected?', etc.

Loughner was a right wing extremist? And seriously, you're making a big deal about a congresswoman, who's expected to recover, when this jerkoff killed an effing 9 year old?

I was making a wider point...of course the death of the little girl was the most horrific aspect of that particular incident.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
TheAtheistAllegiance
Posts: 1,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 1:31:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think it gets more coverage because Congresswomen don't usually get shot. However, thousands of African children starving happens everyday, so nobody gets wound up over it. Plus, PL is probably right about there being little else to cover.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 2:15:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/30/2011 1:31:08 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
I think it gets more coverage because Congresswomen don't usually get shot. However, thousands of African children starving happens everyday, so nobody gets wound up over it. Plus, PL is probably right about there being little else to cover.:

The interesting thing is that there was an assassination attempt (about a week earlier than the Loughner case) on Missouri governor Jay Nixon by a 22-year-old named Casey Brezik He attempted to slash the governor's throat, but instead mistakenly targeted someone adjacent to him. The man's throat was slashed before the knife was wrestled away.

As it turns out, the would-be assassin is said to be an extreme leftist. He's allegedly a Che Guevara type who leans far to left, but I cannot confirm it from an unbiased source.

The Right has seized upon this opportunity claiming that the Left is awfully selective in what they cover, and find it terribly hypocritical to severely come down on Palin for being complicit in the attack when Loughner isn't even a righty. It is true that there was almost no press concerning the attack, and of that the political ideology of the attacker was severely diminished.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
TheAtheistAllegiance
Posts: 1,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 3:42:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yeah, I didn't hear about that. It could be because of the Sheriff's words pertaining to the Giffords case, which brought Sarah Palin into the equation. She always brings about eclipsing press coverage.