Jump to topic:

Oil Pipeline Pushed and Protested - Real News

Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 12:46:52 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
As many of you hopefully know there has been a lot of oil interest in North Dakota lately. Everything has been happening very fast, and the state has been doing quite well economically. What you might not know is that the state has seen an influx of poor environmental and serious social issues as a result as the very traditional state is meeting some very nontraditional people. Crime has gone up significantly. Drug trafficking is on the rise. Oil is spilling all over the place and environmentalists are unhappy.

http://www.cnbc.com...

http://usuncut.com...

Right now a new pipeline is being built by a Texas based company which has been battled years by Indian nations from the beginning. It has been protested actively in the largest gathering of Native American tribes in over 100 years since spring. Thousands have protested stubbornly, peacefully, and remarkably respectful to maintain the quality of their sole source of water at Standing Rock Reservation and have the pipeline diverted.

Whilst they are pursuing legal action, Protesters have been tasered, pepper sprayed, tear gased, shot by less lethal ammunition, and lately sprayed with water ( North Dakota) as they trespass land some claim was swept from under them outside the confines of treaty and anchor themselves to objects and machinery. Recently a woman's arm was severely injured by a concussion grenade. Arrests are in all likelihood financially burdensome for low income protesters, but there is funding flowing to them with unknown application.

https://www.youtube.com...

More have joined. Jill Stein as you may recall was one of the people who have been systematically arrested after she sprayed paint on a bulldozer during this years campaign. Bernie Sanders has spoken for these people as well. Police in an effort to maintain the present peace are actively pursuing any social media leads and systematically arresting people in addition to protesters they can fit in their vehicles. 140 protesters were arrested by militarized police at a single event last month, some charged with rioting with no supporting evidence in a widely filmed event. More since have protested, and been arrested, and its growing beyond the Indian nations now with support from neighboring communities.

http://abcnews.go.com...

http://time.com...

President Obama has been informed of this and direct intervention is not at this time involved. He has made soft remarks that the matter should have been avoided, and he is looking into it. Nothing appears to have happened since from the federal level, but agencies have been "looking into it". Meanwhile, we wonder what will happen as the Indian nations show no signs of stopping, the oil company shows no signs of stopping, and the police show no signs of stopping, while resentment against the pipeline is growing.

https://www.youtube.com...

Opponents to these protests make claim that the reservation could have represented itself in the planning stages of the project better and did not participate until it was too late. Reasons unknown. Please add. Police have claimed violence is occurring but witnesses say otherwise. No evidence has been shown yet to back police claims at this time to my knowledge, while photographic evidence has been shown to contradict police accusations of violence, remarkable if true with such persistence in the face of perceived police brutality among a very defense friendly state.

At least two officers have refused to participate in enforcement, thus far. Reasons unknown.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 1:41:00 PM
I guess it's the possibility of water contamination, that's the issue. The time article link
"The pipeline would travel underneath the Missouri River, the primary drinking water source for the Standing Rock Sioux"
"the land being used for the pipeline is not technically on its reservation,"
"Proponents of the pipeline argue that oil producers would likely ship the oil by rail line if construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline was halted"

seems like it's going to happen one way or the other, which is safer, or which is easier to deal with should an accident/leak happen?
So the main sticking point is "what if something happens" if nothing happens no problem, if something does it may or may not be very harmful, it's hard to say. Dealing with "what ifs" is very difficult.
Quadrunner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 7:20:57 PM
At 11/23/2016 1:41:00 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
I guess it's the possibility of water contamination, that's the issue. The time article link
"The pipeline would travel underneath the Missouri River, the primary drinking water source for the Standing Rock Sioux"
"Proponents of the pipeline argue that oil producers would likely ship the oil by rail line if construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline was halted"

seems like it's going to happen one way or the other, which is safer, or which is easier to deal with should an accident/leak happen?
So the main sticking point is "what if something happens" if nothing happens no problem, if something does it may or may not be very harmful, it's hard to say. Dealing with "what ifs" is very difficult.

http://www.agweb.com...

Well see here's the thing. Hundreds of things have happened already. Recent companies don't have a very good reputation in North Dakota. They've used their mineral rights to tear up people's land that they've had their entire lives, pressured the culture, spilled all over the place. There is distrust for oil companies among a significant amount, and simply saying "this will work, trust me" doesn't necessarily allow people to agree they can trust them that it will work, especially if you have Native American context I would imagine. In the case of the reservation, well, that's all they've got. That's their land, the water flows through and if it gets screwed up....It seems evident that's not really an option they want to consider at the moment. Government involvement or some other assurance may be integral, if possible, to ensuring the safety of these people.

The corporation is clearly determined, with obvious incentive on a multi-billion dollar project. Its become known to me that in addition to police, private security has been utilized and seems to be more aggressive. All sides have been handling this, in comparison to other recent protest, remarkably well. Police are giving citizens every chance and then some. Citizens are not becoming violent. Any "riots" have been cool and collected, only holding to the term by technical definition of physical disruption. Police instruction has been explained with reason and reluctance, and thus overall has had reason to be obeyed beyond armament. Safety measures and medical aid have been accessible. The corporation has agreed to halt a couple times, while government is "looking into it" in hopes of finding solution. Property damage is non-existent, limited to superficiality. No one is receiving felonies or having their lives ruined yet except for the person who's arm was hit by the concussion grenade, why I have no Idea. Most actions are thought out and deliberate it seems, though its difficult to tell without proper reporting the balance between police, and private security. No assaults have been officially reported that I can find except towards videos of protester injuries. The are of course trespassing, and the company has a right to have them removed.

Here is one of the more informative sites in the sense of what is going on at the protests
http://heavy.com...

Objectives appear to be directed towards each party's goal, and peace thus far. I'm really kinda glad to be seeing a proper protest with direction and consideration of community in mind for a change. Hopefully that image is maintained in actuality if nothing else.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
kevin24018
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2016 7:32:07 PM
At 11/23/2016 7:20:57 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/23/2016 1:41:00 PM, kevin24018 wrote:

http://www.agweb.com...

Well see here's the thing. Hundreds of things have happened already. Recent companies don't have a very good reputation in North Dakota. They've used their mineral rights to tear up people's land that they've had their entire lives, pressured the culture, spilled all over the place. There is distrust for oil companies among a significant amount, and simply saying "this will work, trust me" doesn't necessarily allow people to agree they can trust them that it will work, especially if you have Native American context I would imagine. In the case of the reservation, well, that's all they've got. That's their land, the water flows through and if it gets screwed up....It seems evident that's not really an option they want to consider at the moment. Government involvement or some other assurance may be integral, if possible, to ensuring the safety of these people.

The corporation is clearly determined, with obvious incentive on a multi-billion dollar project. Its become known to me that in addition to police, private security has been utilized and seems to be more aggressive. All sides have been handling this, in comparison to other recent protest, remarkably well. Police are giving citizens every chance and then some. Citizens are not becoming violent. Any "riots" have been cool and collected, only holding to the term by technical definition of physical disruption. Police instruction has been explained with reason and reluctance, and thus overall has had reason to be obeyed beyond armament. Safety measures and medical aid have been accessible. The corporation has agreed to halt a couple times, while government is "looking into it" in hopes of finding solution. Property damage is non-existent, limited to superficiality. No one is receiving felonies or having their lives ruined yet except for the person who's arm was hit by the concussion grenade, why I have no Idea. Most actions are thought out and deliberate it seems, though its difficult to tell without proper reporting the balance between police, and private security. No assaults have been officially reported that I can find except towards videos of protester injuries. The are of course trespassing, and the company has a right to have them removed.

Here is one of the more informative sites in the sense of what is going on at the protests
http://heavy.com...

Objectives appear to be directed towards each party's goal, and peace thus far. I'm really kinda glad to be seeing a proper protest with direction and consideration of community in mind for a change. Hopefully that image is maintained in actuality if nothing else.

unfortunately with eminent domain type laws etc I'm not sure there's anything they can really do. The real sticking point is the water which is a very scary thought. I'm sure the courts will rule the risk is so minor that they will allow it. This wouldn't be the first time environmental type things have been allowed. Certainly they have every right to be concerned give history.
Love Canal
https://en.wikipedia.org...