Jump to topic:

Egypt, Tunisia, Yemen

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 8:53:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The authoritarian US backed governments are coming down.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 8:56:22 PM
At 1/27/2011 8:53:55 PM, askbob wrote:
The authoritarian US backed governments are coming down.

Typically what happens when an outside government forces a government on any people.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 8:57:01 PM
Tomorrow is named "The Day of Rage" and I encourage members to monitor youtube and upload riot videos.

Let's hope these hotbeds for terrorist recruiting become more reformed, more educated, and less corrupt. It would be great if they improved economically, however I have a bad feeling that Al-Qaeda will exert more influence than ever.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 9:07:09 PM
At 1/27/2011 8:57:01 PM, askbob wrote:
Tomorrow is named "The Day of Rage" and I encourage members to monitor youtube and upload riot videos.

Let's hope these hotbeds for terrorist recruiting become more reformed, more educated, and less corrupt. It would be great if they improved economically, however I have a bad feeling that Al-Qaeda will exert more influence than ever.

Yes, they typically love these chaotic events, allows them to grab more power and influence.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2011 10:35:20 PM
Obama actually spoke in praise of the protests in the SOTU, so hopefully we side with the protesters rather than the regimes. Also, I don't think Al-Qaeda will be able to do much in Tunisia and Egypt. But, Yemen could be a serious issue...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 3:16:23 AM
We do know that Al-Q is a revolutionary regime that wants to topple every existing Islamic Government?

The idea that the middle east is on the verge of acquiring civilisation is somewhat... optimistic.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 5:19:47 AM
I'm stuck in sales meetings with no time to catch up, and only my iPhone to use during breaks. Can someone succinctly summarize the Egyptian situation in a non Charlesb sort of way?
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 11:53:40 AM
At 1/28/2011 5:19:47 AM, innomen wrote:
I'm stuck in sales meetings with no time to catch up, and only my iPhone to use during breaks. Can someone succinctly summarize the Egyptian situation in a non Charlesb sort of way?

Egyptian protests have escalated, and it's looking more and more like the Mubarak regime is coming down. The US attitude is of course dismal, pathetic, and as hypocritical as it could possibly be, as outlined by Joe Biden's summary of the situation.

However, Egypt's dictatorship has severely ramped up the strike-breakers, and martial law has been set in place, as there are now military vehicles patrolling the streets. This could reverse the momentum of the protests, but we'll have to see...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 4:54:39 PM
At 1/28/2011 11:53:40 AM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:

Egyptian protests have escalated, and it's looking more and more like the Mubarak regime is coming down. The US attitude is of course dismal, pathetic, and as hypocritical as it could possibly be, as outlined by Joe Biden's summary of the situation.

However, Egypt's dictatorship has severely ramped up the strike-breakers, and martial law has been set in place, as there are now military vehicles patrolling the streets. This could reverse the momentum of the protests, but we'll have to see...

Who are the protesters? What are their leanings?
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 4:58:43 PM
At 1/28/2011 4:54:39 PM, innomen wrote:

Pretty much everyone. The police and army are now turning against the regime too.

I don't know specifically what their leanings are, but generally anti-current regime, anti-US, and pro-Islamist populism.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 5:24:59 PM
At 1/28/2011 4:58:43 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 1/28/2011 4:54:39 PM, innomen wrote:

Pretty much everyone. The police and army are now turning against the regime too.

I don't know specifically what their leanings are, but generally anti-current regime, anti-US, and pro-Islamist populism.

Only the left is left.

thanks.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 5:29:04 PM
I wonder, why do people of my dear country, Bosnia, not step up against not one, but three people who rule the country and try to devastate it. Where are the heroes to throw down two part-government regimes, three leaders of three ethnic people, and for once bring a government which will rule properly? And where is the world to call for a change where it is actually needed? Egypt can deal with its problems peacefully, but people are putting forth aggression as their message.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 6:38:51 PM
At 1/28/2011 5:29:04 PM, Mirza wrote:
I wonder, why do people of my dear country, Bosnia, not step up against not one, but three people who rule the country and try to devastate it. Where are the heroes to throw down two part-government regimes, three leaders of three ethnic people, and for once bring a government which will rule properly? And where is the world to call for a change where it is actually needed? Egypt can deal with its problems peacefully, but people are putting forth aggression as their message.

MIRZA'S AN ANARCHIST?!?
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 7:42:01 PM
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 7:43:05 PM
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 7:44:56 PM
A Hezbollah backed candidate has amassed the necessary support to become Lebanon's next Prime Minister. The news was met with fierce opposition in the mainly Sunni north, where demonstrators burned tires and attacked vehicles belonging to media outlets. The protesters accuse Hezbollah, which many of them view as an Iranian proxy, of staging a coup. The U.S. has voiced its displeasure with the events, and threatened to withdraw its support for the country.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 7:45:54 PM
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 7:49:09 PM
CAIRO — Embattled President Hosni Mubarak fired his Cabinet early Saturday and promised reforms after protesters engulfed his country in chaos — battling police with stones and firebombs, burning down the ruling party headquarters and defying a night curfew enforced by a military deployment.

It was the peak of unrest posing the most dire threat to Mubarak in his three decades of authoritarian rule.

Many protesters were outraged further by Mubarak's nationally televised address just after midnight, which saw him defend a police crackdown that drew harsh criticism from the Obama administration and even a threat to reduce a $1.5 billion program of foreign aid if Washington's most important Arab ally escalates the use of force.

"We want Mubarak to go and instead he is digging in further," protester Kamal Mohammad said. "He thinks it is calming down the situation but he is just angering people more."

Pouring onto the streets after Friday noon prayers, protesters ignored extreme government measures that included cutting off the Internet and mobile-phone services in Cairo and other areas, calling the army into the streets and then imposing a nationwide night-time curfew.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 8:02:14 PM
Thousands filled the streets across Egypt on Friday 28 January, dubbed "the Friday of Anger".[54][55] Shortly before 1:00 local time, hours ahead of the expected massive anti-government protests, the Egyptian government shut down internet service, although some people were still able to communicate using alternative means.[56][57] Text messaging and mobile phone services also appeared to be blocked.[58] All mobile operators in Egypt have been instructed to suspend services in selected areas. Under Egyptian legislation the authorities have the right to issue such an order and the operators are obliged to comply.[59]

Around 15 minutes after Friday prayers, tens of thousands of Egyptians started protesting, and within hours the number rose to the hundreds of thousands. Potential presidential candidate Mohamed ElBaradei has returned to Cairo and said that he planned to join the protesters.[60][61] ElBaradei has been leading the protests in Giza. On 28 January ElBaradei was arrested at an anti-government rally,[62] and has been placed under house arrest.[63]

Throughout the day, police fired tear gas, rubber bullets, and water cannons into crowds as violent clashes between authorities and anti-government protesters in Cairo, Alexandria, and throughout Egypt.[64] Thousands in Suez stormed and took control of the police station, and freed all protesters held under arrest there.[65] In Port Said tens of thousands of protesters gathered and multiple government buildings were set ablaze.[65] In Suez, at least one man protesting has died on this day when police shot him.[66] The government issued a curfew from 6pm until 7am, ignored by protesters and by police tasked with enforcing it.[66] In the evening, protesters set fire to one of the NDP headquarters buildings in Cairo.[67][68] While protesters paused for evening prayers, police continued firing tear gas at protesters.[69]

The Egyptian government deployed the military in Cairo, Alexandria, and Suez to assist the police.[70][71] Protesters joined soldiers in protecting the Egyptian Museum which is situated beside the burning ruling party headquarters.[72]
Mubarak dismisses the government

On 29 January, in response to the previous days events, President Mubarak spoke on national television after midnight local time for the first time since the protests began. He said in his speech that despite a "point of no return" being crossed, national stability and law and order must prevail, that he had requested the government, formed only months ago, to step down, and that a new government would be formed.[73][74] He made no offer to step down himself.[75]

The head of the Shura Council's Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, also a part of the ruling party, said he does not believe the protests have ended yet.[citation needed] The Muslim Brotherhood issued a statement following the speech reiterating demands for Mubarak's resignation and saying it was time for the military to intervene.[citation needed]
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2011 9:05:35 PM
Someone said something about marshal law being put into effect. I believe that they have been under marshal law for 30 years. That'd be long enough to make me riot.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 1:41:11 PM
I haven't had much time to look into this with a million things going on right now, but i do know that for the last three years or so Christians of various denominations have been dealing with more and more persecution by Muslim fundamentalists, and the government has had a blind eye to it. My first thought was the riots were caused by the Muslim fundamentalists, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all. However, i am wondering if they are a factor to this.

This is when it was good to have Volkov on our payroll. He was always good at interpreting this stuff.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 2:48:31 PM
And where are all those who call Muslims terrorists when they protest violently? Such catastrophic hypocrisy. When they protest because they feel let down by the West, they are labeled terrorists who burn building down, but when people act idiotically by ruining private property and spreading killings, they are loved for it, as long as it is about freedom.

I hope the wise Muslims will rise and take power, and not some idiots who will fool the people once more.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 2:58:22 PM
Sometimes I think the U.S. purposefully tries to harbor anti-U.S. sentiments in other nations . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 5:27:18 PM
At 1/29/2011 2:48:31 PM, Mirza wrote:
And where are all those who call Muslims terrorists when they protest violently? Such catastrophic hypocrisy. When they protest because they feel let down by the West, they are labeled terrorists who burn building down, but when people act idiotically by ruining private property and spreading killings, they are loved for it, as long as it is about freedom.

Those terrorist damage private property too. What we are seeing is a united movement of the people rather than an extremely religious sect acting in protest. At least the martyr who started this event didn't harm others in making his point.

I hope the wise Muslims will rise and take power, and not some idiots who will fool the people once more.

Why wise "muslims", and what is "wise"?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 5:42:26 PM
At 1/29/2011 1:41:11 PM, innomen wrote:
I haven't had much time to look into this with a million things going on right now, but i do know that for the last three years or so Christians of various denominations have been dealing with more and more persecution by Muslim fundamentalists, and the government has had a blind eye to it. My first thought was the riots were caused by the Muslim fundamentalists, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all. However, i am wondering if they are a factor to this.

This is when it was good to have Volkov on our payroll. He was always good at interpreting this stuff.
No, it's always been like that, it's just got a bit more converge following the Christmas attacks. If anything it has gotten better in recent years, back in the 80s, 90s , Sadat's and the early Mubarak era Christians were attacked as a norm, the "people's Islamic police" have a tax on Christians and Jwws, if they don't pay they attack/kidnap your family or loot your house. This year is just a peek due to recent government instability.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 6:26:47 PM
At 1/29/2011 5:27:18 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Those terrorist damage private property too. What we are seeing is a united movement of the people rather than an extremely religious sect acting in protest. At least the martyr who started this event didn't harm others in making his point.
Your point slides away from mine. The ones who called for violent protests against e.g., the stupid cartoons, they did not harm others to begin with. The protesters, however, did. Then they were labeled as terrorists and haters for being outraged by a great offense. But now, they are being loved because they supposedly want freedom, even though it costs many more lives and brings many things to ruins.

Why wise "muslims", and what is "wise"?
Because Muslims still rule the country, the population wants an Islamic leader, and because a Muslim should not prevent non-Muslims from helping with government matters. On top of that, a wise Muslim is a Muslim who follows his religion, who is well-educated, who places a great distinction between hypocrisy and loyalty and actually reflect the latter on himself, and so forth.
HatedeatH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2011 6:28:06 PM
At 1/29/2011 2:58:22 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Sometimes I think the U.S. purposefully tries to harbor anti-U.S. sentiments in other nations . . .

*inb4 9/11 is a zionist/american conspiracy*
vardas0antras: If Muhammad is great then why didn't he stop 911 ?
gavin.ogden: He was too busy starting it.