Jump to topic:

New Zeitgeist Movie

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 2:44:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
This movie was by far my favorite of the three. There wasn't actually anything I disagreed with this time. None of the religious conspiracy theories. I'm very impressed, I recommend you watch it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 3:29:27 AM
Freedo. Couple things... why in news? I'm not going to watch the whole movie on the little video screen here, but I did watch the beginning. Wouldn't it be better to post some of the themes of the movie in perhaps philosophy or economics?

The theme of material gains for an illusory goal of happiness is common, but rarely truly entertained. Our society has no idea how much we have been conditioned to think and behave out of a need for material acquisition. We really have no idea why we even do it, but rather just feel in our bones that if we get the stuff, or the position (feed our ego) then our lives will be better. The concept of MORE for the sake of more with a goal of happiness is an illogical equation, and yet we think in these terms all the time.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 3:45:45 AM
At 1/30/2011 3:29:27 AM, innomen wrote:
Freedo. Couple things... why in news? I'm not going to watch the whole movie on the little video screen here, but I did watch the beginning.

You are able to click on the video and be taken to youtube where you can maximize it to the full screen if you wish.

Wouldn't it be better to post some of the themes of the movie in perhaps philosophy or economics?

That shall be done as well. I'm simply announcing it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 8:35:21 AM
At 1/30/2011 2:44:42 AM, FREEDO wrote:
This movie was by far my favorite of the three. There wasn't actually anything I disagreed with this time. None of the religious conspiracy theories. I'm very impressed, I recommend you watch it.:

I didn't even realize there was a sequel, let alone a trilogy. Watching it now, give my critique when it's over.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 11:49:07 AM
Humorous arguing between conspiracy theorists, Alex Jones (Prison Planet) vs Peter Joseph (Zeitgeist)
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 12:55:21 PM
My critique:

As usual, the movie was well-made from an production point of view, and as always it was thought-provoking. I found myself in a lot of agreement with it, such as where it discusses epigenics, eugenics, debt, etc. He borrowed good ideas about how to most efficiently build cities of the future, and I thought there were excellent and intelligent points made.

It made a lot of good points, but it also had some inaccuracies, particularly about John Locke's theories, a complete misinterpretation of the "invisible hand" principle, and the implicit role communism throughout, even though he made a valiant attempt to disassociate himself from any parallel.

The narrator claims that free markets and money forces people to grow up in a society conditioned to compete with each other, and because of this, it basically accounts for all the terrible things we see in the world. He basically says that if we get rid of money there will be no reason to steal, manipulate, or hurt one another.

But the argument is oversimplified and naive. The historical evidence to crush his concept is quite telling. Tribes operated in the exact same kind of communal system he wants to implement, but on a much smaller scale -- a scale much easier to control.

Did the lack of money, and the communal living, erase ill-behavior? Certainly not, as tribes warred with other tribes and one another. People can get rid of money, but whether or not it is an arbitrary form of wealth is moot. People still need things, still want things, etc. In the absence of a well-defined monetary system, people will still resort to other arbitrary forms of currency and/or will simply barter and trade tangible goods in an exchange. And it is an exchange of commodities that is exactly what we have today, what we've always had in the past, and will more than likely have in the future.

Peter Joseph (creator and narrator of Zeitgeist) wants to spin it away from communism, but he fails to realize that what he is advocating is in fact communism. And communism, as we all know, has a very sordid past. It's been tried and has shown itself to be an abject failure.

I do believe that he sincerely thinks his version is not, but it very evidently is.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 12:55:46 PM
dude for the love of god answer your pms
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2011 1:20:30 PM
I think Peter Joseph and the Resource Based Economy is actually more in line with some kind of Syndicalist system. But, the problem is that even the most basic of axioms is wrongly assumed in his system, which is scarcity. I'm pretty sure he believes that scarcity doesn't exist, but it is instead falsely created by Capitalism, which is quite incorrect...