Jump to topic:

Sanctimony over charity

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 10:04:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
A strip club owner in South Florida has been donating money to local charities for years to help out disaffected youth. He had done so anonymously for years. A school found out who the donation came from and the check was returned due to what Joe Rodriguez does for a living -- manages strip clubs.

Who friggin' cares? You'd rather snub your nose at a man who gave generously out of the kindness of his heart just so you can make a philosophical point? F*ck you!!!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com...
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 12:20:58 PM
From their point of view, there is nothing wrong with returning the money. If an assassin earned money by murdering innocent people, and he gave those to charity with a good will, then one who has a moral opposition to murder has every right not to accept the money. Similarly, those who oppose strip clubs and find them abhorrent, there is nothing wrong, from their perspective, to return the money, if they think that the income of the strip club owner is immoral.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 12:21:37 PM
Of course, it should be noted that the money should be given back by the school, and the ones who got help should not have it taken away from them.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 12:59:51 PM
At 1/31/2011 12:20:58 PM, Mirza wrote:
From their point of view, there is nothing wrong with returning the money. If an assassin earned money by murdering innocent people, and he gave those to charity with a good will, then one who has a moral opposition to murder has every right not to accept the money. Similarly, those who oppose strip clubs and find them abhorrent, there is nothing wrong, from their perspective, to return the money, if they think that the income of the strip club owner is immoral.:

The point is that the children suffer so they can make a moral point.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 1:03:19 PM
At 1/31/2011 12:59:51 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
From their point of view, there is nothing wrong with returning the money. If an assassin earned money by murdering innocent people, and he gave those to charity with a good will, then one who has a moral opposition to murder has every right not to accept the money. Similarly, those who oppose strip clubs and find them abhorrent, there is nothing wrong, from their perspective, to return the money, if they think that the income of the strip club owner is immoral.:

The point is that the children suffer so they can make a moral point.
The children should not suffer from it, if you ask me. However, if they do not accept money because they find the money coming from an abhorrent source, then that is justifiable. But it should not be to merely "make a moral point." It should come from the heart.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 2:55:53 PM
The children should not suffer from it, if you ask me. However, if they do not accept money because they find the money coming from an abhorrent source, then that is justifiable.:

What difference does it make? He's obviously moral enough of a man to give his own money away to children in need. His job is irrelevant to the point that he wants to donate his money.

They were perfectly happy to accept his money before they knew what his job was, now all of a sudden it's being treated like blood money.

But it should not be to merely "make a moral point." It should come from the heart.:

It obviously is coming from his heart.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 3:03:30 PM
At 1/31/2011 2:55:53 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
The children should not suffer from it, if you ask me. However, if they do not accept money because they find the money coming from an abhorrent source, then that is justifiable.:

What difference does it make? He's obviously moral enough of a man to give his own money away to children in need. His job is irrelevant to the point that he wants to donate his money.

They were perfectly happy to accept his money before they knew what his job was, now all of a sudden it's being treated like blood money.
If they feel that the money is gained through immoral paths, then it is not wrong for them not to accept money donated from such a source.

But it should not be to merely "make a moral point." It should come from the heart.:

It obviously is coming from his heart.
I meant their hearts. They should seriously condemn the source of his money, not just to make a point.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2011 5:15:02 PM
Similarly, those who oppose strip clubs and find them abhorrent, there is nothing wrong, from their perspective, to return the money, if they think that the income of the strip club owner is immoral.

True, but people who think like that have no place running charities.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2011 5:32:50 PM
What is so immoral about a strip club?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2011 5:34:01 PM
At 2/1/2011 5:15:02 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Similarly, those who oppose strip clubs and find them abhorrent, there is nothing wrong, from their perspective, to return the money, if they think that the income of the strip club owner is immoral.

True, but people who think like that have no place running charities.

Exactly
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.