Jump to topic:

Causing suffering

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:01:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Is it wrong that I plan on causing someone what I hope will be moderate emotional suffering for my own sick satisfaction?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:02:51 AM
meh, depending how much effort you put into it it might reflect poorly on your character. lol. hard to say when dealing in such vague terms.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:03:22 AM
What sort of sick satisfaction?

Has the person done anything to you?

To something else?

What are the means of causing emotional suffering?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:17:36 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:03:22 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The satisfaction of knowing that I've hurt them more than they've hurt me.

Has the person done anything to you?
Well, yes. From my perspective anyway. I'm sure this person doesn't feel that they've done anything wrong.

What are the means of causing emotional suffering?
That would be telling. I know this person quite well, so it wasn't difficult to formulate a plan.

Muh threads
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:18:54 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:02:51 AM, belle wrote:
meh, depending how much effort you put into it it might reflect poorly on your character. lol. hard to say when dealing in such vague terms.

I'm sorry about the vagueness, but I've suspected that this person internet stalks me for a while. They'll know I'm talking about them, but if I avoid directly referencing anything to do with them, including their sex, our relationship, ect, I have plausible denial.

Muh threads
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:19:28 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:01:37 AM, tvellalott wrote:
Is it wrong that I plan on causing someone what I hope will be moderate emotional suffering for my own sick satisfaction?

That depends on your morality.
Do you have some sort of justification for it?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:22:39 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:19:28 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

LOL. What morality?

Yes, my own ridiculous, unfounded conspiracy theories.

Muh threads
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:23:35 AM
Nope, not wrong. But it does have the potential for amusement.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:26:10 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:23:35 AM, annhasle wrote:

I knew you'd support me! :D

Muh threads
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:27:18 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:17:36 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/13/2011 2:03:22 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The satisfaction of knowing that I've hurt them more than they've hurt me.
For what purpose?

If there is no link to other terms in your purpose than "satisfaction" and "hurts more than they hurt you", yes, it's wrong. But if you aren't initiating force, meh, that's your bidness.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:27:40 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:22:39 AM, tvellalott wrote:

LOL. What morality?

If you don't acknowledge morality than why are you asking if your course of action is wrong or not? If you are a moral nihilist then surely you don't care? The question becomes, "is it in my self interest to inflict what I hope will be moderate emotional suffering for my own sick satisfaction?"

Though I would suggest that despite any academic protestations of nihilism you are still held to account by guilt and such like.

Yes, my own ridiculous, unfounded conspiracy theories.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:28:22 AM

LOL. What morality?

If you don't have a standard of value and some idea of how to get to that value--

why the hell make a topic asking whether something is wrong?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:28:46 AM
lol damn cereb beat me.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:29:39 AM
He CAN create a thread for the purpose of seeing others opinions even if he doesn't agree with them. Lol, being a nihilist doesn't mean you can't ask questions about morality. xD
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:29:51 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:27:40 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

LOL. What morality?

If you don't acknowledge morality than why are you asking if your course of action is wrong or not? If you are a moral nihilist then surely you don't care? The question becomes, "is it in my self interest to inflict what I hope will be moderate emotional suffering for my own sick satisfaction?"

A very good point. Y'all convinced me.

Imma do it.

Muh threads
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:31:18 AM

LOL. What morality?

on second thought, "self-interest" still implies a standard of value, you didn't beat me to it.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:37:42 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:26:10 AM, tvellalott wrote:
At 2/13/2011 2:23:35 AM, annhasle wrote:

I knew you'd support me! :D

But of course! Keep me updated!! xD
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:38:26 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:29:39 AM, annhasle wrote:
He CAN create a thread for the purpose of seeing others opinions even if he doesn't agree with them. Lol, being a nihilist doesn't mean you can't ask questions about morality. xD

True, but why would he care? Unless of course he is a Dexter-style sociopath who simply does not understand how normal humans act and simply wants to fit in!
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:39:22 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:29:51 AM, tvellalott wrote:

LOL. What morality?

A very good point. Y'all convinced me.

Imma do it.

Damn... I've violated my morality.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:40:22 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:31:18 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

LOL. What morality?

on second thought, "self-interest" still implies a standard of value, you didn't beat me to it.

But it's not a moral value is it? Hmm I am confused.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:41:37 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:38:26 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

True, but why would he care?

A fellow user might put forward a different approach to the situation which may not be ethical -- and that could persuade him to do otherwise. Plus, if he's having qualms, it's most likely an emotional issue which he is now trying to see if it can be substantiated. It obviously can't be since morality is BS and now he will do it. :)

Unless of course he is a Dexter-style sociopath who simply does not understand how normal humans act and simply wants to fit in!

I wouldn't doubt it. *high five for tvellalott if that's true*
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:41:59 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:40:22 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 2/13/2011 2:31:18 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

LOL. What morality?

But it's not a moral value is it? Hmm I am confused.

No it isn't.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:42:37 AM

True, but why would he care? Unless of course he is a Dexter-style sociopath who simply does not understand how normal humans act and simply wants to fit in!

Clearly I wanted to see what a group of my peers who have a high amount of respect for thought about me potentially torturing someone for no reason.

Sentiments seem to be "If it feels good, do it." ^_-

Muh threads
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:44:44 AM
I would urge you to pay no attention to these situational ethicists. Your intentions are based on wrath. You may or may not succeed in your immediate goals but overall you will fail because you will end up causing more harm to yourself than the good it will temporarily accomplish. Since you have the benefit of being able to question the moral validity of your actions, you also have the responsibility of keeping true to your better senses. If you truly are right about them deserving your punishment, then they probably have a diminished sense of honor and you will be hard pressed to degrade it further without throwing sh*t all over your own. For this reason you can only blame yourself for your judgment of character... it makes no sense to dive into social networks of moral invalids and try to bring justice to them when there are good people out there everywhere who can benefit from your company.
no comment
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:44:46 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:42:37 AM, tvellalott wrote:

Clearly I wanted to see what a group of my peers who have a high amount of respect for thought about me potentially torturing someone for no reason.

Sentiments seem to be "If it feels good, do it." ^_-

Damn straight. TAKE THEM DOWN, DAMMIT!!

^_^
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:46:52 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:44:44 AM, Caramel wrote:
Blah, blah, blah, I'm a buzzkill. Blah. Blah. BLAH.

Sure 'nuff.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:49:13 AM
At 2/13/2011 2:44:44 AM, Caramel wrote:
I would urge you to pay no attention to these situational ethicists. Your intentions are based on wrath. You may or may not succeed in your immediate goals but overall you will fail because you will end up causing more harm to yourself than the good it will temporarily accomplish.

Only if he is weak and stupid.

Since you have the benefit of being able to question the moral validity of your actions, you also have the responsibility of keeping true to your better senses. If you truly are right about them deserving your punishment, then they probably have a diminished sense of honor and you will be hard pressed to degrade it further without throwing sh*t all over your own. For this reason you can only blame yourself for your judgment of character... it makes no sense to dive into social networks of moral invalids and try to bring justice to them when there are good people out there everywhere who can benefit from your company.

People only become 'good' because they are held to account by others.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:52:25 AM
Of course self interest is a moral value. If not, what is? Bowing to the lord of the Caramel Commune?