Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Extemp HELP

CrzyDrumlineChic
Posts: 28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 1:51:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My debate coach basically just threw me into extemp a month before our district, and she said she expects me to make it because I'm in CX. However it has completely stressed me out! I don't really know alot about extemp, and I have a horrible habit of getting over-nervous when I talk. So if anyone has any tips on how I could get at least ok in a month it would be greatly appreciated! Anything will help!

lease help, I'm freaking out:/
CrzyDrumlineChic
Posts: 28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:46:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/13/2011 2:03:25 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
Haha, I'm just kidding. I actually have on idea what you're talking about lol.

Lol(: Anything will help(: She just kind of threw me in there last minute. She said since I'm in CX I should be fine, but I disagree. I mean overtime I think I could get good but just 1 month?!
TheAtheistAllegiance
Posts: 1,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:54:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/13/2011 2:46:04 PM, CrzyDrumlineChic wrote:
At 2/13/2011 2:03:25 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
Haha, I'm just kidding. I actually have on idea what you're talking about lol.

Lol(: Anything will help(: She just kind of threw me in there last minute. She said since I'm in CX I should be fine, but I disagree. I mean overtime I think I could get good but just 1 month?!

Is that a tougher debate squad or something? If so, I wouldn't stress over it. She might have put you in there because you're the most capable. In any case, the only thing I can really recommend is to keep it cool. If you allow your nerves to get the best of you, then regardless of how skilled you actually are, you're going to struggle getting points across in a clear and concise style.
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 2:56:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Extemporaneous speaking isn't that difficult.

I mean, come on, just brush up on current events. If you can, get as many issues of the Economist as possible for resources (I swear to God, every Extemp topic will be found in the Economist). But if it's not possible, Time and Newsweek often work as substitutes (but they're not as good).

Like I said, as long as you're versed in current events the rest is simple. Just come up with a short speech (five minutes minimum is not hard). Standard three point speech works perfectly. So whatever topic you get will just require three points, and then the rest is just speaking ability.

I have a friend who suggested this theory (though it's not my favorite): If you can't think of three points about one side of the issue, then come up with two sides of whatever issue you draw (this will be Point 1 and Point 2). The third point will explain which is better and why.

I don't like that style (though it's easy when you're stumped) because judges usually dock you for being too "broad" in your topic. I try to go for one opinion, and three reasons it's right.

Hopefully some of the above will help. Any more questions, just post.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
m93samman
Posts: 2,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 3:08:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I literally made up sources. Extemp is a joke. Are you in DX or FX?
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 3:21:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/13/2011 3:08:02 PM, m93samman wrote:
I literally made up sources. Extemp is a joke. Are you in DX or FX?

Making them up is okay unless they actually know about the topic. I had a friend who drew a topic on Zimbabwe. She figured she could BS her way through it since we had no resources and we figured the judge knew nothing about Zimbabwe.

She got last place because he did in fact know a hell lot about Zimbabwe. WTF.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
CrzyDrumlineChic
Posts: 28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:21:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/13/2011 3:08:02 PM, m93samman wrote:
I literally made up sources. Extemp is a joke. Are you in DX or FX?

I don't know what you said, but if you are referring to CX and I swear I'm not trying to be smart or anything, but I know people that don't know that when I refer to CX I mean Policy. Please don't get mad, I just don't know what you are talking about(:
CrzyDrumlineChic
Posts: 28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/13/2011 10:22:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/13/2011 2:54:44 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
At 2/13/2011 2:46:04 PM, CrzyDrumlineChic wrote:
At 2/13/2011 2:03:25 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
Haha, I'm just kidding. I actually have on idea what you're talking about lol.

Lol(: Anything will help(: She just kind of threw me in there last minute. She said since I'm in CX I should be fine, but I disagree. I mean overtime I think I could get good but just 1 month?!

Is that a tougher debate squad or something?

Uhh CX is just what we call Policy debate? If this is what you are talking about(:
M.Torres
Posts: 3,626
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 9:22:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/13/2011 10:21:09 PM, CrzyDrumlineChic wrote:
At 2/13/2011 3:08:02 PM, m93samman wrote:
I literally made up sources. Extemp is a joke. Are you in DX or FX?

I don't know what you said, but if you are referring to CX and I swear I'm not trying to be smart or anything, but I know people that don't know that when I refer to CX I mean Policy. Please don't get mad, I just don't know what you are talking about(:

DX = Domestic Extemporaneous (national topics)
FX = Foreign Extemporaneous (international topics)
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 10:33:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/13/2011 2:03:02 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
You're done for.

That's terrible!

DON'T trust the topics that get posted online, those are never used at the actual tournament!
Get resources on everything current events, politics, foreign and domestic issues.
A good site for current events is www.wopular.com
Find some funny stories.
Don't try to write out your speech AT ALL. Outlines work best.
Practice outlining in 30 minutes, then try to give a 5 to 7 minute speech from that outline.
^^^ I learned all that from my failure at district last year :)

Most importantly: DON'T PANIC!!
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 10:35:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/13/2011 3:08:02 PM, m93samman wrote:
I literally made up sources. Extemp is a joke. Are you in DX or FX?

this works too, as long as you're confident with bs-ing
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
devinni01841
Posts: 1,405
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 10:37:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/14/2011 9:22:55 AM, M.Torres wrote:
At 2/13/2011 10:21:09 PM, CrzyDrumlineChic wrote:
At 2/13/2011 3:08:02 PM, m93samman wrote:
I literally made up sources. Extemp is a joke. Are you in DX or FX?

I don't know what you said, but if you are referring to CX and I swear I'm not trying to be smart or anything, but I know people that don't know that when I refer to CX I mean Policy. Please don't get mad, I just don't know what you are talking about(:

DX = Domestic Extemporaneous (national topics)
FX = Foreign Extemporaneous (international topics)

In Texas district is made of Informative and Persuasive, not Foreign and Domestic, by the way
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.