Jump to topic:

What is cheating?

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 9:28:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Cheating is only there for people who don't realize that free love is the way to go, maaaaan.

Herpes!

Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 9:44:35 AM
I tell you that anyone who looks on a woman with lust has in his heart already committed adultery.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2011 9:56:22 AM
Baby don't f*** that
guy who ain't me
no more.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 6:15:31 AM
At 2/14/2011 9:44:35 AM, askbob wrote:
I tell you that anyone who looks on a woman with lust has in his heart already committed adultery.

pffffttt...
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 6:17:06 AM
cheating can come in both those forms. and it's only cheating if you've sworn yourself to someone. cheating on what you've sworn :)
signature
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 9:15:58 AM

I wouldn't quite go that extreme, but certainly if you look on somebody with lust and then try to act upon it then it would be adultery. I say this, considering for most people it's nearly impossible for them not to get turned on if they notice a good looking person walking down the street or whatever.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 9:35:27 AM
At 2/14/2011 9:12:00 AM, nonentity wrote:
Is there such a thing as emotional cheating or is it purely physical? What do you define as cheating?

Cheating is physical, in my opinion. Emotional cheating sounds too much like thought crime, to me. After all, just because I would like to act on my primitive instincts, does not mean I will. We all resist certain temptations everyday, so what's the problem? How can one turn their imagination off? Sounds ridiculous...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 10:22:16 AM
At 2/15/2011 9:35:27 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Is there such a thing as emotional cheating or is it purely physical? What do you define as cheating?

Cheating is physical, in my opinion. Emotional cheating sounds too much like thought crime, to me. After all, just because I would like to act on my primitive instincts, does not mean I will. We all resist certain temptations everyday, so what's the problem? How can one turn their imagination off? Sounds ridiculous...

It's not hard to control your thoughts.

Surely in school you had people that would walk around saying "don't think of [insert really old lady or really fat guy] in a thong!" just to try to give you a mental image of it and try to gross you out. After so many times, it becomes easy to not think about that.

Now, no one really says that looks at another women and thinking "she is beautiful" is adultry, but looking at another women and saying, "I'd like to rotate her tires, if you know what I mean," is a sign that you are not really ready to be faithful and your spouse desirves better.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 11:46:15 AM
At 2/15/2011 10:22:16 AM, OreEle wrote:

Surely in school you had people that would walk around saying "don't think of [insert really old lady or really fat guy] in a thong!" just to try to give you a mental image of it and try to gross you out. After so many times, it becomes easy to not think about that.

Now, no one really says that looks at another women and thinking "she is beautiful" is adultry, but looking at another women and saying, "I'd like to rotate her tires, if you know what I mean," is a sign that you are not really ready to be faithful and your spouse desirves better.

Again, why should we have to control our thoughts? They are OUR thoughts, and we certainly wrong no one by simply thinking or imagining something. If I am committed to a woman, I should not even imagine what it would be like with other women? Come on, that just sounds frivolous, to me. We are responsible for our actions, and as long as those actions remain within the boundaries of a committed relationship, then certainly no cheating has occurred.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 11:55:22 AM
When I said "emotional cheating" I meant more than thought crime. I meant building a relationship with a person with whom you're attracted, and it generally occurs when your current relationship is on the rocks. You haven't physically cheated, but you tell that other person significant things about you and become emotionally invested in that other person. And that other person is waiting for you to break up with your significant other so that they can swoop in there.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 12:11:45 PM
At 2/15/2011 11:46:15 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:

Again, why should we have to control our thoughts? They are OUR thoughts, and we certainly wrong no one by simply thinking or imagining something.

It's called respect for the person you are with. Change it from "cheating" to "killing," should it be okay to day dream about killing someone? If someone said, I like to spend my days thinking about killing Ron Paul and planing it out in my head, wondering where I would do it, how I would get away, or would I just try to kill him and as many of his followers as possible before being arrested? Is there nothing wrong with thinking like that? Or should it be discouraged and even monitered?

Thinking can lead to planning, and planning can lead to acting.

If I am committed to a woman, I should not even imagine what it would be like with other women? Come on, that just sounds frivolous, to me. We are responsible for our actions, and as long as those actions remain within the boundaries of a committed relationship, then certainly no cheating has occurred.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 12:12:31 PM
At 2/15/2011 11:55:22 AM, nonentity wrote:
When I said "emotional cheating" I meant more than thought crime. I meant building a relationship with a person with whom you're attracted, and it generally occurs when your current relationship is on the rocks. You haven't physically cheated, but you tell that other person significant things about you and become emotionally invested in that other person. And that other person is waiting for you to break up with your significant other so that they can swoop in there.

Thats how I met my wife, lol.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 12:14:00 PM
At 2/15/2011 12:12:31 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 2/15/2011 11:55:22 AM, nonentity wrote:

Thats how I met my wife, lol.

On the one hand... Awww, I'm happy for you. On the other hand... you dog! lol
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 12:35:26 PM

I used to feel the exact same way - and I was a huge "emotional cheater." I definitely did some things that were inappropriate but non-physical. I'd say those are the things that usually lead up to the physical, or had intentions of doing so (even subconsciously). For instance if I thought some other girl was really hot, or even thought about another girl in my head - I wouldn't consider that cheating. As you said, it's hard to control every thought we have. However any deliberate attempt to go out of your way to spend time with someone you are attracted to or have feelings for CAN be considered a bit problematic. It's putting yourself in a position where the attraction you feel toward another at any given point is intentional.
President of DDO
Kimboslice926
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 1:38:00 PM

but is it really possible to control it?
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 1:43:02 PM
At 2/15/2011 1:38:00 PM, Kimboslice926 wrote:

but is it really possible to control it?

Do what you can I suppose.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 3:45:12 PM
At 2/15/2011 12:11:45 PM, OreEle wrote:

Again, why should we have to control our thoughts? They are OUR thoughts, and we certainly wrong no one by simply thinking or imagining something.

It's called respect for the person you are with. Change it from "cheating" to "killing," should it be okay to day dream about killing someone? If someone said, I like to spend my days thinking about killing Ron Paul and planing it out in my head, wondering where I would do it, how I would get away, or would I just try to kill him and as many of his followers as possible before being arrested? Is there nothing wrong with thinking like that? Or should it be discouraged and even monitered?

Thinking can lead to planning? Planning can lead to acting? Thinking can also just be thinking. You must then make a decision that what you are thinking is correct. Then you must make a decision to plan. Then you must make a decision to put your plan into action. Then you must follow through. The point is that you must make a conscientious decision to do something wrong. If you simply think about something, it is perfectly normal and innocent. If someone can't help but act on their thoughts, they are sick and need therapy.

If I am committed to a woman, I should not even imagine what it would be like with other women? Come on, that just sounds frivolous, to me. We are responsible for our actions, and as long as those actions remain within the boundaries of a committed relationship, then certainly no cheating has occurred.

I believe it is perfectly acceptable to think about killing someone. Absolutely 100% yes, it is alright. I've thought about killing someone, but I have never killed anyone, so what am I guilty of? Having an imagination? Sounds like a bull$hit guilt trip to me. I would never want to live my life that way, and I actually have some sympathy for people who feel guilty about their own thoughts.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:01:19 PM
I tell you that anyone who looks on a woman with lust has in his heart already committed adultery.:

Great, thanks a lot Jesus. Guess that means everyone is an adulterer.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:04:35 PM
Is there such a thing as emotional cheating or is it purely physical? What do you define as cheating?:

That would vary on the couple. If the couple agrees to swing, then traditional thoughts about cheating are thrown out the window. However, even swingers generally have some code ethic that they agree upon. For instance, some couples agree that swinging can only be done as an experience with one another.

If one was to go behind the back of the other, that might be tantamount to cheating for them because it broke their agreement.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:09:00 PM
If all is truly fair in love and war the there is no such thing as cheating.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:14:41 PM
Thinking can lead to planning? Planning can lead to acting? Thinking can also just be thinking.:

Yes, but they are saying that emotional cheating goes beyond mere thinking, just like thinking about killing the president is different than plotting to kill the president. It still requires some level of action that would lead a reasonable and prudent person to see that actions are being taken to further the initial thought.

Thinking about a hot girl you met while masturbating would simply be a thought, your own thoughts. And, yes, if your significant other tried to hold you to that it would be really silly (good luck reading my thoughts!)

However, if you're significant other is at work and you're tying away to an actual person, expressing feelings of love or lust to them, then obviously you're taking actions. It's an action now, not merely a thought.

Then there is the deception. If you are hiding this secret from them, obviously on some level you are aware of how your significant other would respond to it.

The Golden Rule seems appropriate in this situation. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If you wouldn't want your girl cyber f*cking the next door neighbor, perhaps you shouldn't either, or get out of that relationship.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:20:00 PM
At 2/15/2011 4:14:41 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Thinking can lead to planning? Planning can lead to acting? Thinking can also just be thinking.:

Yes, but they are saying that emotional cheating goes beyond mere thinking, just like thinking about killing the president is different than plotting to kill the president. It still requires some level of action that would lead a reasonable and prudent person to see that actions are being taken to further the initial thought.

Thinking about a hot girl you met while masturbating would simply be a thought, your own thoughts. And, yes, if your significant other tried to hold you to that it would be really silly (good luck reading my thoughts!)

However, if you're significant other is at work and you're tying away to an actual person, expressing feelings of love or lust to them, then obviously you're taking actions. It's an action now, not merely a thought.

Then there is the deception. If you are hiding this secret from them, obviously on some level you are aware of how your significant other would respond to it.

The Golden Rule seems appropriate in this situation. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If you wouldn't want your girl cyber f*cking the next door neighbor, perhaps you shouldn't either, or get out of that relationship.

Of course, I understand and agree with everything you just said. My entire point is that simply thinking about it is fine. Once you start acting on it, there is an issue. This is where the original disagreement lies. He was saying that thinking about sex and killing is wrong, and that thoughts should be monitored, and I couldn't disagree more...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:24:48 PM
At 2/15/2011 3:45:12 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

Thinking can lead to planning? Planning can lead to acting? Thinking can also just be thinking. You must then make a decision that what you are thinking is correct. Then you must make a decision to plan. Then you must make a decision to put your plan into action. Then you must follow through. The point is that you must make a conscientious decision to do something wrong. If you simply think about something, it is perfectly normal and innocent. If someone can't help but act on their thoughts, they are sick and need therapy.

People who think of suicide are more likely to do it (and people who talk about doing it are even more likely).

People who frequently think about committing crimes are more likely to do so.

People who frequently think about cheating are more likely to do so.

The more you think about pretty much anything, the more likely you are to do it. And the more you tell people that it is okay that they think about it, the more people you let slip into actually doing it.

I believe it is perfectly acceptable to think about killing someone. Absolutely 100% yes, it is alright. I've thought about killing someone, but I have never killed anyone, so what am I guilty of? Having an imagination? Sounds like a bull$hit guilt trip to me. I would never want to live my life that way, and I actually have some sympathy for people who feel guilty about their own thoughts.

That makes you a higher risk of being a violent person, and based on some of the other threads that you have done, I'll say that I'm not surprised.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:38:47 PM
At 2/15/2011 4:24:48 PM, OreEle wrote:

People who think of suicide are more likely to do it (and people who talk about doing it are even more likely).

The more you think about pretty much anything, the more likely you are to do it. And the more you tell people that it is okay that they think about it, the more people you let slip into actually doing it.

That makes you a higher risk of being a violent person, and based on some of the other threads that you have done, I'll say that I'm not surprised.

Absolutely ridiculous. I am not a violent person at all, and shun those who are. Also, it is fairly clear that you have no idea what you are talking about at this point. This is strictly an argument from ignorance, as well as an Ad Hominem. To me, anyone who wishes to restrict thoughts is far more likely to be a violent person. Also, I have never been unfaithful in a relationship. If anything, having the ability to simply use the imagination can put people at comfort, so they don't have to act on certain urges. You are a Christian, correct? So, you know that it is comforting to imagine a loving God and heaven. That certainly does not make it real, and it certainly does make it any more likely to come to fruition. I would strongly suggest some classes in psychology, because you would learn that you are dead wrong on this issue.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 4:42:02 PM

10/10.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 5:00:17 PM
At 2/15/2011 4:38:47 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

Absolutely ridiculous. I am not a violent person at all, and shun those who are. Also, it is fairly clear that you have no idea what you are talking about at this point. This is strictly an argument from ignorance, as well as an Ad Hominem. To me, anyone who wishes to restrict thoughts is far more likely to be a violent person. Also, I have never been unfaithful in a relationship. If anything, having the ability to simply use the imagination can put people at comfort, so they don't have to act on certain urges. You are a Christian, correct? So, you know that it is comforting to imagine a loving God and heaven. That certainly does not make it real, and it certainly does make it any more likely to come to fruition. I would strongly suggest some classes in psychology, because you would learn that you are dead wrong on this issue.

I have taken psychology. People who indulge in thoughts are more likely to indulge in the actions associated with those thoughts, not the other way around. Also, I did not say that you were a violent person, as I don't know you. I just said that statistically, you are more likely to be one.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 5:12:38 PM
At 2/15/2011 5:00:17 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 2/15/2011 4:38:47 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

I have taken psychology. People who indulge in thoughts are more likely to indulge in the actions associated with those thoughts, not the other way around. Also, I did not say that you were a violent person, as I don't know you. I just said that statistically, you are more likely to be one.

To indulge, is to yield to an inclination or desire. Having an inclination or desire is perfectly fine. That is my point. We have all had thoughts about doing things that we would never actually do. I would be very interested which class or Instructor taught you that thoughts(no matter how grisly or benign) are good or bad. Any real professional would quickly tell you that having thoughts of passion(romantic, violent, philosophical, etc.) are 100% natural and healthy. How we act on those thoughts is very important, and a healthy person knows where to draw the line. This is very basic stuff, so forgive me if I must call bull$hit. I wouldn't want anyone thinking bad things about me...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 5:55:43 PM
Of course, I understand and agree with everything you just said. My entire point is that simply thinking about it is fine. Once you start acting on it, there is an issue. This is where the original disagreement lies. He was saying that thinking about sex and killing is wrong, and that thoughts should be monitored, and I couldn't disagree more.:

Agreed on all counts
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2011 5:58:02 PM
At 2/15/2011 4:42:02 PM, theLwerd wrote:

10/10.:

w00t!!!! :)