Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

How do you win a debate ?

interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 3:22:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
You cant do it here. Time and time again, I have triumph over others with my
common sense. I think it trumps logic. Sometimes. However, I lost the
debate with that guy. See profile. I told him that Obama would win the 2012
election. He thinks that I was wrong. I looked at his answer. It was a bunch of
overlogical, overthinking, overcrtical, overanalyzed bull crap.
I am sure that Obama will win based on my facts alone.
I wonder if he will be able to say that he actually won that debate.
I think not. So why did he win that debate ?
Is it because this website is filled with a bunch of overintelligent fools. (smiling like Bill OReilly)
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 3:38:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 3:22:49 PM, interrogator wrote:
You cant do it here. Time and time again, I have triumph over others with my
common sense. I think it trumps logic. Sometimes. However, I lost the
debate with that guy. See profile. I told him that Obama would win the 2012
election. He thinks that I was wrong. I looked at his answer. It was a bunch of
overlogical, overthinking, overcrtical, overanalyzed bull crap.
I am sure that Obama will win based on my facts alone.
I wonder if he will be able to say that he actually won that debate.
I think not. So why did he win that debate ?
Is it because this website is filled with a bunch of overintelligent fools. (smiling like Bill OReilly)

You can't make general arguments without proof. Making broad strokes like calling republicans "war-mongering", say consumer confidence is on the rise and call Obama "a great campaigner and debater" without proof. It may seem tedious but without proof people can make broad statements that are untrue to prove their case.

Ultimately, your own opinion and "common sense" does not counter evidence.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 3:42:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
No. That is fals. Common sense does have merit. Much more than many of you
would like to admit. Many people had their facts wrong, when they thought that
Obama would NOT win the election. But he did. It was about momentum and
circumstances. There are things that are learned, if you know the secret. Many of you donot understand these laws of the universe. There are complex matters.
It is beyond logic. Which means, that it is beyond your comprehension.
You may not believe me now. But you shall see with thine own eyes.
As I have seen it all before. (cracking my nuckles)
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 3:44:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 3:42:19 PM, interrogator wrote:
No. That is fals. Common sense does have merit. Much more than many of you
would like to admit. Many people had their facts wrong, when they thought that
Obama would NOT win the election. But he did. It was about momentum and
circumstances. There are things that are learned, if you know the secret. Many of you donot understand these laws of the universe. There are complex matters.
It is beyond logic. Which means, that it is beyond your comprehension.
You may not believe me now. But you shall see with thine own eyes.
As I have seen it all before. (cracking my nuckles)

GO AWAY
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
m93samman
Posts: 2,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 3:44:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
You're wrong; listen to what Panda was saying. If you make a claim, you have to have a warrant for it.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 3:45:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 3:42:19 PM, interrogator wrote:
No. That is fals. Common sense does have merit. Much more than many of you
would like to admit. Many people had their facts wrong, when they thought that
Obama would NOT win the election. But he did. It was about momentum and
circumstances.

They were debating a future event. You can never be certain about the future even if you put forward a concrete case backed by evidence.

There are things that are learned, if you know the secret. Many of you donot understand these laws of the universe. There are complex matters.
It is beyond logic. Which means, that it is beyond your comprehension.
You may not believe me now. But you shall see with thine own eyes.
As I have seen it all before. (cracking my nuckles)

Religious troll?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 3:48:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Panda. That is true to a certain extent. But. There are laws in the universe
that propells people higher than most. How do you think that celebrities and politicians are able to get where they are ? Some of them are educated.
However, most of them have certain inate abilities that help them overcome
the flaws and weaknesses of technicality. Science cannot prove everything.
Science cannot explain it all either. So we use what we call our instincts.
This is our natural ability to discern things without having being governed
or controlled by logic.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Posts: 1,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 3:51:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 3:42:19 PM, interrogator wrote:
No. That is fals. Common sense does have merit. Much more than many of you
would like to admit. Many people had their facts wrong, when they thought that
Obama would NOT win the election. But he did. It was about momentum and
circumstances. There are things that are learned, if you know the secret. Many of you donot understand these laws of the universe. There are complex matters.
It is beyond logic. Which means, that it is beyond your comprehension.
You may not believe me now. But you shall see with thine own eyes.
As I have seen it all before. (cracking my nuckles)

That's what he does before he masturbates on Valentines Day.

http://c0016417.cdn2.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com...
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 3:58:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 3:48:57 PM, interrogator wrote:
Panda. That is true to a certain extent. But. There are laws in the universe
that propells people higher than most. How do you think that celebrities and politicians are able to get where they are ? Some of them are educated.
However, most of them have certain inate abilities that help them overcome
the flaws and weaknesses of technicality. Science cannot prove everything.
Science cannot explain it all either. So we use what we call our instincts.
This is our natural ability to discern things without having being governed
or controlled by logic.

First of all, your spelling is atrocious. More importantly, so are many of your assumptions and assertions. You posed a good question, which I have highlighted. What is YOUR answer to this question?
interrogator
Posts: 1,322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:00:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Gavin. It is not my spelling.......I can spell. It is these keys. You type in letters
and they dont always go through if you do not mash them properly.
Oh well. As far as my questions are concerned. You aint seen nothing yet !
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:03:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 3:48:57 PM, interrogator wrote:
There are laws in the universe that propells people higher than most.
Actually one of the laws of the universe is gravity and it makes 'propelling' people high very difficult.

How do you think that celebrities and politicians are able to get where they are ?
Another one of the laws of the universe is "people are stupid."

However, most of them have certain inate abilities that help them overcome
the flaws and weaknesses of technicality.
What is Paris Hiltons "inate" ability? Having a rich daddy?

Science cannot prove everything.
Oh goodness.

Science cannot explain it all either.
It certainly does better than 'instinct'.

So we use what we call our instincts.
This is our natural ability to discern things without having being governed or controlled by logic.
Logic > Instinct.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:06:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 4:00:41 PM, interrogator wrote:
Gavin. It is not my spelling.......I can spell. It is these keys. You type in letters
and they dont always go through if you do not mash them properly.
Oh well. As far as my questions are concerned. You aint seen nothing yet !

You see, you did not answer my question. That is probably a good reason why you lost that debate, guy. If you leave stones unturned and questions unanswered, you're going to lose.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:08:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 3:48:57 PM, interrogator wrote:
Panda. That is true to a certain extent. But. There are laws in the universe
that propells people higher than most.

No, no there aren't. What does this have to do with the basic idea of backing an unfounded claim with evidence to make it mean something?

How do you think that celebrities and politicians are able to get where they are ?
Some of them are educated.
However, most of them have certain inate abilities that help them overcome
the flaws and weaknesses of technicality.

Some through chance, others through hard work, again wtf does this have to do with presenting proof?

Science cannot prove everything.
Science cannot explain it all either. So we use what we call our instincts.
This is our natural ability to discern things without having being governed
or controlled by logic.

I never said it could. All I'm saying is you can use your instinct to tell whether or not something will happen, let alone predict a presidential election. You should use statistics and evidence to present your case. That's debating.

I honestly couldn't care for your religious, anti-science rhetoric. The basic rule of thumb is present evidence to back your claims here or they don't stand.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:16:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 4:12:22 PM, interrogator wrote:
Panda. When he wins the election. Then you can come back here and admit
that you were wrong. Are you ready to do that my friend.

It doesn't work like that.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:17:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 4:12:22 PM, interrogator wrote:
Panda. When he wins the election. Then you can come back here and admit
that you were wrong. Are you ready to do that my friend.

At what point did I say he wouldn't win? I was critiquing your argument. Besides, what tvellalott said.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
THE_OPINIONATOR
Posts: 575
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:48:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Your arrogance is a little on the ignorant side my friend, if you are going to ask for help, listen to those who are willing. They are smart individuals and you are a fool if you do not listen. I suggest that if you do not wish to listen then you will only speak when you are spoken too.
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 5:30:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Interrogator, while it may be true that a certain something helped celebraties to get where they are, you most certainly do not have it. (Though willing to bet that the most significant factor is luck)
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 5:33:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 3:22:49 PM, interrogator wrote:
Is it because this website is filled with a bunch of overintelligent fools. (smiling like Bill OReilly)

website is filled with a bunch of overintelligent fools.

overintelligent fools.

When does one become "overintelligent"?
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 6:18:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/18/2011 5:33:36 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 2/17/2011 3:22:49 PM, interrogator wrote:
Is it because this website is filled with a bunch of overintelligent fools. (smiling like Bill OReilly)

website is filled with a bunch of overintelligent fools.

overintelligent fools.

When does one become "overintelligent"?

Anyone smarter than him (ie. everyone) is overintelligent.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
GoddardGirl276
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 1:01:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/17/2011 4:00:41 PM, interrogator wrote:
Gavin. It is not my spelling.......I can spell. It is these keys. You type in letters
and they dont always go through if you do not mash them properly.

If you look at the bottom of the screen when you post a reply you will see a handy blue button that says "Check Your Spelling". If you click it, it just might make you look a little smarter! but I don't know. It could just be telling you to find a dictionary and your grade school spelling book.

Oh well. As far as my questions are concerned. You aint seen nothing yet!
nope, we ain't. we're still waiting on those answers.
"This is her favorite song. you know that, right? so maybe, if we play it good and loud, she'll get up and dance. ready? ah, here she comes. left. right. left right left."
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 11:46:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Re: How do you win a debate?

Think of an issue. Google mises + whatever that issue might be. Re-state the arguments from those articles here and present them as your own. Include Rothbard, Nozick and Mises in your sources or expect to lose. Rinse and repeat. Follow these simple steps and you will never lose another debate on DDO :)
President of DDO
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 1:14:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/21/2011 11:46:22 AM, Danielle wrote:
Re: How do you win a debate?

Think of an issue. Google mises + whatever that issue might be. Re-state the arguments from those articles here and present them as your own. Include Rothbard, Nozick and Mises in your sources or expect to lose. Rinse and repeat. Follow these simple steps and you will never lose another debate on DDO :)

And if both sides are doing that, then it comes down to which side appeals to the larger demographic on DDO.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 11:34:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/21/2011 1:14:33 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
And if both sides are doing that, then it comes down to which side appeals to the larger demographic on DDO.

How often does that happen?
President of DDO
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:39:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/21/2011 11:46:22 AM, Danielle wrote:
Re: How do you win a debate?

Think of an issue. Google mises + whatever that issue might be. Re-state the arguments from those articles here and present them as your own. Include Rothbard, Nozick and Mises in your sources or expect to lose. Rinse and repeat. Follow these simple steps and you will never lose another debate on DDO :)

Hardy har har...
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:40:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/21/2011 11:46:22 AM, Danielle wrote:
Re: How do you win a debate?

Think of an issue. Google mises + whatever that issue might be. Re-state the arguments from those articles here and present them as your own. Include Rothbard, Nozick and Mises in your sources or expect to lose. Rinse and repeat. Follow these simple steps and you will never lose another debate on DDO :)

lol.