Jump to topic:

A productive life and happiness

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:36:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So i met a really cool guy on vacation, and he's had a pretty interesting life, which is amazing because he's only 22 years old. He's planning on leaving his current job as a bail bondsman to go to Alaska and mine for gold in the ocean. However his true dream is to simply spend his entire life on the beach playing the guitar. That sort of threw me, but he was dead serious. I will reiterate that he's a really cool guy, who would like to vacation with us again in the future (in case you're wondering, he's straight).

Now, in theory such a thing might sound really nice, but one of the things i have learned is that a component to my happiness is some degree of productivity. I like having some accomplishment at the end of the day, and to a different degree some accomplishment when reflecting on my life. This of course may be the result of a personal ethic that was passed onto me, or it might be part of the human condition to some extent.

Any thoughts on a productive life and happiness? Don't misunderstand me, i fully understand the value of downtime, but generally speaking there is a connection to productivity and happiness for me.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:39:21 PM
It takes a very special kind of person to just play a guitar on the beach for their entire life...

I love being productive.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:39:23 PM
Excuse me sir. But in case you didnt know. Homosexuality is wrong. Not to metion it is a sin. Women are beautiful creatures. May I ask with all due respect.
WHY DONT YOU LIKE THEM !!!!
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:40:44 PM
At 2/17/2011 4:39:23 PM, interrogator wrote:
Excuse me sir. But in case you didnt know. Homosexuality is wrong. Not to metion it is a sin. Women are beautiful creatures. May I ask with all due respect.

You are a fvcking idiot.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:41:42 PM
I can totally relate. Like, right now, even though I'm exhausted (got about 2 hours of sleep last night), I'll feel like a total bum if I don't if I don't finish my debate argument and at least get started on my philosophy paper before I go to bed. Lately, I've been really enjoying getting up early (like, 5 AM) to go for a run, finish up my homework, and eat a huge breakfast.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:48:18 PM
as long as i'm going to bed with a fully, and with a joint or after a few beers, i'm happy.. and i suppose i've to be productive to get those things.. but the less productive i've to be, the better!
signature
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 4:52:41 PM
At 2/17/2011 4:39:23 PM, interrogator wrote:

Well then what would i do with my boyfriend? He'd be very upset.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:01:25 PM
At 2/17/2011 4:48:18 PM, badger wrote:
as long as i'm going to bed with a fully, and with a joint or after a few beers, i'm happy.. and i suppose i've to be productive to get those things.. but the less productive i've to be, the better!

fully was sposed to be full belly :) i've gotten myself nicely drunk tonight lol.. bliss :)
signature
interrogator
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:03:26 PM
Well you tell him that you had a change of heart. Valentines Day just passed.
And you met this beautiful brunette (female) at the mall. He'll understand. LOL
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:04:12 PM
If it weren't for wanting to raise kids... I think I'd be a bum of sorts...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:05:22 PM
At 2/17/2011 5:04:12 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

have you kids to raise?
signature
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:09:10 PM
At 2/17/2011 5:03:26 PM, interrogator wrote:
Well you tell him that you had a change of heart. Valentines Day just passed.
And you met this beautiful brunette (female) at the mall. He'll understand. LOL

Hello Koopin.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:10:40 PM
i'd want my kids to be happy.. and if i find myself a life partner i'll want them to be happy too.. i'll probably be lookin' to up by productivity if i ever get either of those.. i'm actually countin' on one of them at least saving me from an early grave :)
signature
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:11:49 PM
At 2/17/2011 5:05:22 PM, badger wrote:

have you kids to raise?

not yet... but.. I figure if I'm to have them I should probably have a good job :/
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:18:18 PM
I have a desire to the least amount of work for the most potential gain.

Life Goals -

Retire at age of 45
Open up restaurant with my love
travel the world
teach financial literacy courses
Work at McDonalds and see how many outrages things I could say to customers before being fired
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:18:36 PM
It seems you relate productive to monetary value. If he were to write songs while on the beach, wouldn't that be him being productive? Or would what he's doing have to be boring in order for it to be considered as such? ;)
President of DDO
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:20:23 PM
At 2/17/2011 5:11:49 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

have you kids to raise?

not yet... but.. I figure if I'm to have them I should probably have a good job :/

what're you doing now?
signature
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:24:37 PM
At 2/17/2011 5:20:23 PM, badger wrote:

have you kids to raise?

what're you doing now?

school.. and paying for school.

although.. i enjoy school too (at least bits of it).. so I would want to keep doing that for a little while at least.

Metaphysics:
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:28:32 PM
Lol wanting to play guitar on a beach is a better pursuit then working for the sake of working. I don't aspire to work, work is simply the means of my aspiration. You could call opening my own restaurant work, but it's not for profit and I will only allow a certain number of people in per night.

I plan on having my restaurant open from 9pm to 2am and calling it the Midnight Cook.

In a sense my restaurant will be like cartmanland

10:30
http://www.southparkstudios.com...
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:31:20 PM
At 2/17/2011 5:24:37 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/17/2011 5:20:23 PM, badger wrote:

have you kids to raise?

what're you doing now?

school.. and paying for school.

although.. i enjoy school too (at least bits of it).. so I would want to keep doing that for a little while at least.

best of luck to ya!
signature
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 5:47:32 PM
I understand where you're coming from Innomen. Being productive and seeing some kind of proof of my work gives me satisfaction -- and it doesn't have to be monetary. Sure, a paycheck is awesome and when you've been poor, you do not underestimate the power of money. But I want to go into teaching -- and to see the influence I could have on my students would be simply amazing. I've already acquired some of that same satisfaction with my counseling. I've been a bum before (literally) and those kind of days completely ruin my mood, I need something to work for. A goal, basically. My determination comes from a desire to help others.

Just two nights ago, I got a call from the mother of one of my patients. She told me that her daughter had stolen a knife from the kitchen and then locked herself in the bathroom. Of course I rushed right over and was able to talk her out of the room without harming herself. She was only 14 but she had gone through so much, she just wanted to end it. She's now in the hospital and doing much better even though it's only been a couple days.

It's in those moments where I enjoy being able to support others and help them through their own lives. And that's probably where I get my happiness from. Not from their misery or checkbooks... But from the satisfaction that I can make an impact on their lives and thinking. That I can show them alternatives. It's pretty cool. :)
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2011 7:49:09 PM
totally see where you're coming from. i've lived that life... where you hardly work and just "have fun" all the time. i was totally miserable with it. without goals and aspirations, i just felt empty. *shrugs* maybe some people can find challenges enough in playing guitar on the beach. i don't think i am one of those people though.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 10:01:20 AM
Any thoughts on a productive life and happiness? Don't misunderstand me, i fully understand the value of downtime, but generally speaking there is a connection to productivity and happiness for me.:

Some people are happiest when working, others seem content floating through life with the minimal amount of effort. For me, I always have to be working towards a goal in order to feel fulfilled. I think that is human nature, for the most part. A goal-oriented life is a productive and happy life, even if that goal is to make a new song to play on the beach.

A kind of like one of my uncles lives. He worked for Oracle for many years and was essentially a plank owner in the company. He was so high up that he had business meetings with Bill Gates, if that puts anything in to perspective. Because he made so much money early on, he was able to retire at the ripe old age of 42. Now his job his managing his money on the stock market which allows him the ability to pursue other personal interests just for fun.

To not have to worry about money must be an incredibly liberating feeling, and it's something that I would also enjoy in the future.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:15:47 PM
At 2/17/2011 5:18:36 PM, Danielle wrote:
It seems you relate productive to monetary value. If he were to write songs while on the beach, wouldn't that be him being productive? Or would what he's doing have to be boring in order for it to be considered as such? ;)

No no no, that's not it at all. If he said that he wanted to go and feed the poor and not make a dime in the process, i would consider that more than what i do from day to day. Or if he said that he wanted to track the migratory patterns of the Tawney Breasted Tinamou, i'd find it mind-numbingly boring but what do i know? I also don't really consider riffing blues all day on the beach composing music.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 5:56:33 AM
At 2/18/2011 4:15:47 PM, innomen wrote:
At 2/17/2011 5:18:36 PM, Danielle wrote:

No no no, that's not it at all. If he said that he wanted to go and feed the poor and not make a dime in the process, i would consider that more than what i do from day to day. Or if he said that he wanted to track the migratory patterns of the Tawney Breasted Tinamou, i'd find it mind-numbingly boring but what do i know? I also don't really consider riffing blues all day on the beach composing music.

...have a drink?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:06:58 AM
if i found a diamond mine out the back of my house, i wouldn't be happy with myself unless i was out digging all day.. alongside my army of sexy naked miners, frank lucas style, my man! my life sucks balls really..that'd be some life!
signature
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 9:11:46 AM
At 2/19/2011 6:06:58 AM, badger wrote:
if i found a diamond mine out the back of my house, i wouldn't be happy with myself unless i was out digging all day.. alongside my army of sexy naked miners, frank lucas style, my man! my life sucks balls really..that'd be some life!

Well, that just goes to show you that it depends on how you look at your life. The metaphor you used to describe your life, in the proper context by some like me isn't so bad. Never mind.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 10:12:11 AM
At 2/19/2011 9:11:46 AM, innomen wrote:
At 2/19/2011 6:06:58 AM, badger wrote:

Well, that just goes to show you that it depends on how you look at your life. The metaphor you used to describe your life, in the proper context by some like me isn't so bad. Never mind.

i have no idea what you're talkin' about :)
signature