Jump to topic:

V0Antras, needs some serious help !!!

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:23:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
What future career should I choose? I'm sound when it comes to history and for some odd reason people tend to take my advices seriously (I was even complimented on that, must be the glasses :D) in the real life so I am considering something in the areas of law (was told that history is somehow related) and/or social work. Mathematics and English are also my strong points though I'm better at English. Not sure about science (doing it just for the sake of getting a job) and there's no way I'm doing practical subjects (e.g. construction studies).

So, I am thinking of immersing myself into History for the next few years and have Mathematics plus English as parachutes. What do you think I should do?

By the way, I am talking about the "Leaving Cert".
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Seriously, is there any money in history? I don't think so *sigh*. Any help and any advice will be appreciated.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:37:07 PM
If you want to make money, i'd go with Greyparrot's suggestion. It sounds like law would be a decent fit. If you aren't interested in making money, go into teaching, but really that's not a profession that i would generally point someone toward these days. How old are you again?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:40:49 PM
At 2/18/2011 4:37:07 PM, innomen wrote:
If you want to make money, i'd go with Greyparrot's suggestion. It sounds like law would be a decent fit. If you aren't interested in making money, go into teaching, but really that's not a profession that i would generally point someone toward these days. How old are you again?

haha! I'm working to be a teacher next year lol. Not for the money of course.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:43:24 PM
At 2/18/2011 4:40:49 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

June,July and August?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:45:44 PM
At 2/18/2011 4:40:49 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Yeah, most aren't doing it for the money, although from what i understand they do alright these days.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:47:14 PM

Just 15 :(
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:47:21 PM
Whatever you do, don't decide to teach English and Geography after college, too many people do that. What year are you in?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:48:44 PM
At 2/18/2011 4:47:21 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Whatever you do, don't decide to teach English and Geography after college, too many people do that. What year are you in?

Right now, 4th year
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 4:53:22 PM
At 2/18/2011 4:48:44 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

Right now, 4th year

Well, you still have time, my young padawan. If you're *really* unsure, try and spread your options. Since you like History, do that, along with the modern language you need. If you're pondering science, do whatever science subject you find least painful, but be prepared to put work into it. Also consider the combinations for LCVP, as that can give you 60 easy points.

I stuck to my guns and did what I liked. I like History, so I did that. I also liked Economics and Geography got along with me. Eliminating subjects you don't want can help too. I hate Irish, so I'm doing pass. But remember the 25 bonus points for higher maths.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 5:11:34 PM
At 2/18/2011 4:53:22 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Right now, 4th year

Well, you still have time, my young padawan. If you're *really* unsure, try and spread your options. Since you like History, do that, along with the modern language you need. If you're pondering science, do whatever science subject you find least painful, but be prepared to put work into it. Also consider the combinations for LCVP, as that can give you 60 easy points.

I stuck to my guns and did what I liked. I like History, so I did that. I also liked Economics and Geography got along with me. Eliminating subjects you don't want can help too. I hate Irish, so I'm doing pass. But remember the 25 bonus points for higher maths.

I've heard that history is overwhelming, though.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 5:16:09 PM
Everybody likes history. Everybody thinks they're good at giving advice. Everybody wants to be a lawyer and/or psychiatrist. If you're even the slightest bit good in (and like) math, why not look into engineering or computer science? Those are the fields that make money and have a lot of future job prospects. Law school is becoming more competitive, less valuable and a history degree isn't going to get you anywhere. However as some have mentioned, you're still pretty young. Most people change their major in college at least 2 times since their first day.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 5:16:50 PM
At 2/18/2011 5:11:34 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 2/18/2011 4:53:22 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Right now, 4th year

I've heard that history is overwhelming, though.

Not really. There are 4 topics you study, 3 of which require you to write an essay in the exam. However you have a choice of 4 (Maybe 5), so really you only need to know about half the topic. The other is a document question which is much easier. And then you have your special research topic which is 20% for researching an event or person and with the right teacher can get you easy marks.

So if you like history and would work, it isn't.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 5:18:28 PM
At 2/18/2011 5:16:09 PM, Danielle wrote:
Everybody likes history. Everybody thinks they're good at giving advice. Everybody wants to be a lawyer and/or psychiatrist. If you're even the slightest bit good in (and like) math, why not look into engineering or computer science? Those are the fields that make money and have a lot of future job prospects. Law school is becoming more competitive, less valuable and a history degree isn't going to get you anywhere. However as some have mentioned, you're still pretty young. Most people change their major in college at least 2 times since their first day.

So true.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 5:23:40 PM
At 2/18/2011 5:16:09 PM, Danielle wrote:

A Ph.D in it will, however :P.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 5:31:23 PM
At 2/18/2011 5:23:40 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Maybe in Ireland. The only thing you can really do with a history degree is get a PhD, so I assume that's everyone's plan :P The only reason a history degree helps prepare for law school is because the classes require a lot of reading/writing which prepares you for the course load and the LSAT. One could get the same practice as an English, Philosophy, hell even a Women's Study major. Or just going on DDO once in awhile.
President of DDO
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 5:42:35 PM
At 2/18/2011 5:31:23 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 2/18/2011 5:23:40 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

Maybe in Ireland. The only thing you can really do with a history degree is get a PhD, so I assume that's everyone's plan :P

Not really, huge numbers do it for teaching here or go work in tourism as tour guides and such.

The only reason a history degree helps prepare for law school is because the classes require a lot of reading/writing which prepares you for the course load and the LSAT. One could get the same practice as an English, Philosophy, hell even a Women's Study major. Or just going on DDO once in awhile.

People generally go straight into law here, no mucking about.