Total Posts:152|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Self-harm...

InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:15:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have been having thoughts about self-harm and even suicide again. What should I do? I have almost no support system in place, but I really feel that I'll end up doing something soon if this sh*tty life of mine doesn't get better. I pretty much feel worthless right now.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:19:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I should also point out that the one thing I do have, the mental health clinic just wants to shove drugs down my throat. I refuse to take drugs having a rather hardline stance on drug use.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:31:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
First things first - what are you upset about? Whether you can identify the problem or not, you should consider how self-inflicted harm would do anything to improve the situation or make you feel the slightest bit better. Since I'm sure it won't, I'm hoping you dismiss that as a possible option. At least suicide is productive (not that I'm suggesting that!).

What I think you should do is try to talk to someone, but make it clear you don't want to take drugs. If you feel uncomfortable doing that, reach out to good friends. If there's not something you need to specifically talk about or work through, I've found that most suicidal people are just bored and unhappy with their lives. How about making plans with them so you have stuff to look forward to and be excited about?

Good luck, INH. This too shall pass...
President of DDO
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:34:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm just upset about everything in general. I have nothing to look forward to anymore. Hell, I don't even know who my real friends are anymore. Really the only people I can fully trust are a few people online, not that they can help me in any way though, not being physically here.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:36:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Take the drugs. What I would imagine you have is a hard-line stance against the abuse/irresponsible use of drugs. If the medication helps, then use it. It's not as if you're going to binge or become addicted--ergo, you would simply be taking supplements pursuant to their intended purpose, which is perfectly fine.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:38:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:36:49 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Take the drugs. What I would imagine you have is a hard-line stance against the abuse/irresponsible use of drugs. If the medication helps, then use it. It's not as if you're going to binge or become addicted--ergo, you would simply be taking supplements pursuant to their intended purpose, which is perfectly fine.

Drugs don't cure depression though, just give you an artificial illusion that it's cured.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:40:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:38:42 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Drugs don't cure depression though, just give you an artificial illusion that it's cured.

Yeah - and real depression is biological, so all of the talk-therapy in the world won't help either. Medication can regulate it.
President of DDO
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:41:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If you're gonna kill yourself at least don't be stupid about how you do it. The only way I would do it would be by jumping off the empire state building or drowning in a pool of chocolate. If you can't do either then it's not worth it.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:42:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:38:42 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/19/2011 6:36:49 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Take the drugs. What I would imagine you have is a hard-line stance against the abuse/irresponsible use of drugs. If the medication helps, then use it. It's not as if you're going to binge or become addicted--ergo, you would simply be taking supplements pursuant to their intended purpose, which is perfectly fine.

Drugs don't cure depression though, just give you an artificial illusion that it's cured.

It depends what kind of depression you're faced with. If you have a clinically severe case, antidepressants will be far more effective than if you had only a mild or moderate case. Besides, it's not a physical disease, which means it's not something you can "cure" in the sense of eliminating some vile pathogen. The point of antidepressants (assuming that they're intended to prevent relapse) is sort of like a dam. It doesn't dry up the river, but it stops the water from destroying everything.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:42:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:41:28 PM, askbob wrote:
If you're gonna kill yourself at least don't be stupid about how you do it. The only way I would do it would be by jumping off the empire state building or drowning in a pool of chocolate. If you can't do either then it's not worth it.

I doubt I would actually attempt it, at least not at this point. I am getting the thoughts though that maybe I would just be better off dead. I honestly feel like I have nothing.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:43:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:41:28 PM, askbob wrote:
If you're gonna kill yourself at least don't be stupid about how you do it. The only way I would do it would be by jumping off the empire state building or drowning in a pool of chocolate. If you can't do either then it's not worth it.

What about those people who jerk off with a rope hanged around their neck so that they can choke themselves as they orgasm? That sounds like going out on a high note minus the asphyxiation part...
President of DDO
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:45:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:42:34 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 2/19/2011 6:38:42 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/19/2011 6:36:49 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Take the drugs. What I would imagine you have is a hard-line stance against the abuse/irresponsible use of drugs. If the medication helps, then use it. It's not as if you're going to binge or become addicted--ergo, you would simply be taking supplements pursuant to their intended purpose, which is perfectly fine.

Drugs don't cure depression though, just give you an artificial illusion that it's cured.

It depends what kind of depression you're faced with. If you have a clinically severe case, antidepressants will be far more effective than if you had only a mild or moderate case. Besides, it's not a physical disease, which means it's not something you can "cure" in the sense of eliminating some vile pathogen. The point of antidepressants (assuming that they're intended to prevent relapse) is sort of like a dam. It doesn't dry up the river, but it stops the water from destroying everything.

I have been under the impression for quite awhile now that most of depression is just circumstancial. I'm not so sure though since I kinda always have had a hard time, having been bullied and such in school.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:45:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:42:57 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I honestly feel like I have nothing.

Shame on you. Do you know what you are? You are the universe consciously aware of itself. Can you think of anything more special or amazing?! The stars died so you could be here today! Appreciate what you have and try to make the best of any situation. If there's something upsetting you, fix it. I think you need to identify the problem before you can fix it or just assume you have depression... And if you do have depression legitimately, then medication should be a viable option.
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:46:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If possible, have a beer.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:46:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
And I'll be honest in saying that, for all of the claims you make about the harms of drugs and their lack of efficacy in treating depression, presenting the alternative of self-harm (which is not only harmful by definition, but is obviously ineffective in coping healthily with depression).
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:47:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:46:48 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
And I'll be honest in saying that, for all of the claims you make about the harms of drugs and their lack of efficacy in treating depression, presenting the alternative of self-harm (which is not only harmful by definition, but is obviously ineffective in coping healthily with depression) is much worse.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:51:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:45:05 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have been under the impression for quite awhile now that most of depression is just circumstancial.

Maybe you should talk to a neuroscience major (Kenyon) or neuropsych major (Vi) before coming to these conclusions... I don't think that's true. Most of the time it has to do with your brain not producing or processing chemicals properly, which affects the way an individual perceives their environment and reacts to certain things.
President of DDO
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:52:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:46:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
If possible, have a beer.

No, I almost killed myself a few weeks ago due to an over-dose.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:54:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
INH Medication should definitely be used in severe cases and yours would definitely be classified as a severe case. Get help immediately.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:54:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:51:30 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 2/19/2011 6:45:05 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have been under the impression for quite awhile now that most of depression is just circumstancial.

Maybe you should talk to a neuroscience major (Kenyon) or neuropsych major (Vi) before coming to these conclusions... I don't think that's true. Most of the time it has to do with your brain not producing or processing chemicals properly, which affects the way an individual perceives their environment and reacts to certain things.

I don't think it takes a neuroscience major to conclude that your depression is circumstantial or not. Obviously if you can pinpoint something that is going wrong in your life, you can easily deduce that that is the cause of the depression. If you're sitting there and can't think of anything wrong at all in your life, then sure, you probably have a chemical imbalance in the brain.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:56:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:52:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/19/2011 6:46:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
If possible, have a beer.

No, I almost killed myself a few weeks ago due to an over-dose.

I said have A beer, not 50. Also, I highly doubt that beer could do that to you. It's only 5% alcohol.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:59:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:56:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/19/2011 6:52:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/19/2011 6:46:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
If possible, have a beer.

No, I almost killed myself a few weeks ago due to an over-dose.

I said have A beer, not 50. Also, I highly doubt that beer could do that to you. It's only 5% alcohol.

It wasn't beer that almost killed me, but it was still alcohol and at this point I'm not sure how much self-control I would have.
ccstate4peat
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:09:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:59:04 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/19/2011 6:56:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/19/2011 6:52:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/19/2011 6:46:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
If possible, have a beer.

No, I almost killed myself a few weeks ago due to an over-dose.

I said have A beer, not 50. Also, I highly doubt that beer could do that to you. It's only 5% alcohol.

It wasn't beer that almost killed me, but it was still alcohol and at this point I'm not sure how much self-control I would have.

Just chug a ton of moonshine
Charr
Posts: 361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:39:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is a sad topic.
B(

I don't think it is in our human nature to suicide.
And it's incredibly circumstantial that you came into existence in the first place.
I mean, like what are the odds and stuff.
Plus your parents (at least) would be like "B'(".
I mean, like, didn't they, like raise you.
Plus you could be in Africa.
With Africans.

(Africans scare me.)
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:42:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 7:39:05 PM, Charr wrote:
This is a sad topic.
B(

I don't think it is in our human nature to suicide.
And it's incredibly circumstantial that you came into existence in the first place.
I mean, like what are the odds and stuff.
Plus your parents (at least) would be like "B'(".
I mean, like, didn't they, like raise you.
Plus you could be in Africa.
With Africans.

(Africans scare me.)

sure they raised me, but my parents don't really do much now to help; They have been divorced since I was like six years old. Now my mom is practically an alcoholic and my dad just simply doesn't care and constantly puts me down and makes me feel bad.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:42:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:15:23 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have been having thoughts about self-harm and even suicide again. What should I do? I have almost no support system in place, but I really feel that I'll end up doing something soon if this sh*tty life of mine doesn't get better. I pretty much feel worthless right now.:

Seek medical help and they will direct you to people who offer mental health. Virtually every hospital has a mental health unit.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
juvanya
Posts: 613
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:59:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 6:15:23 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have been having thoughts about self-harm and even suicide again. What should I do? I have almost no support system in place, but I really feel that I'll end up doing something soon if this sh*tty life of mine doesn't get better. I pretty much feel worthless right now.

You can start by not making these threads in a place where you know people will give you the wrong answer.