Jump to topic:

Self-harm...

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:15:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have been having thoughts about self-harm and even suicide again. What should I do? I have almost no support system in place, but I really feel that I'll end up doing something soon if this sh*tty life of mine doesn't get better. I pretty much feel worthless right now.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:19:07 PM
I should also point out that the one thing I do have, the mental health clinic just wants to shove drugs down my throat. I refuse to take drugs having a rather hardline stance on drug use.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:31:08 PM
First things first - what are you upset about? Whether you can identify the problem or not, you should consider how self-inflicted harm would do anything to improve the situation or make you feel the slightest bit better. Since I'm sure it won't, I'm hoping you dismiss that as a possible option. At least suicide is productive (not that I'm suggesting that!).

What I think you should do is try to talk to someone, but make it clear you don't want to take drugs. If you feel uncomfortable doing that, reach out to good friends. If there's not something you need to specifically talk about or work through, I've found that most suicidal people are just bored and unhappy with their lives. How about making plans with them so you have stuff to look forward to and be excited about?

Good luck, INH. This too shall pass...
President of DDO
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:34:09 PM
I'm just upset about everything in general. I have nothing to look forward to anymore. Hell, I don't even know who my real friends are anymore. Really the only people I can fully trust are a few people online, not that they can help me in any way though, not being physically here.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:36:49 PM
Take the drugs. What I would imagine you have is a hard-line stance against the abuse/irresponsible use of drugs. If the medication helps, then use it. It's not as if you're going to binge or become addicted--ergo, you would simply be taking supplements pursuant to their intended purpose, which is perfectly fine.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:38:42 PM
At 2/19/2011 6:36:49 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Take the drugs. What I would imagine you have is a hard-line stance against the abuse/irresponsible use of drugs. If the medication helps, then use it. It's not as if you're going to binge or become addicted--ergo, you would simply be taking supplements pursuant to their intended purpose, which is perfectly fine.

Drugs don't cure depression though, just give you an artificial illusion that it's cured.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:40:02 PM
At 2/19/2011 6:38:42 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Drugs don't cure depression though, just give you an artificial illusion that it's cured.

Yeah - and real depression is biological, so all of the talk-therapy in the world won't help either. Medication can regulate it.
President of DDO
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:41:28 PM
If you're gonna kill yourself at least don't be stupid about how you do it. The only way I would do it would be by jumping off the empire state building or drowning in a pool of chocolate. If you can't do either then it's not worth it.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:42:34 PM

It depends what kind of depression you're faced with. If you have a clinically severe case, antidepressants will be far more effective than if you had only a mild or moderate case. Besides, it's not a physical disease, which means it's not something you can "cure" in the sense of eliminating some vile pathogen. The point of antidepressants (assuming that they're intended to prevent relapse) is sort of like a dam. It doesn't dry up the river, but it stops the water from destroying everything.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:42:57 PM
At 2/19/2011 6:41:28 PM, askbob wrote:
If you're gonna kill yourself at least don't be stupid about how you do it. The only way I would do it would be by jumping off the empire state building or drowning in a pool of chocolate. If you can't do either then it's not worth it.

I doubt I would actually attempt it, at least not at this point. I am getting the thoughts though that maybe I would just be better off dead. I honestly feel like I have nothing.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:43:09 PM
At 2/19/2011 6:41:28 PM, askbob wrote:

What about those people who jerk off with a rope hanged around their neck so that they can choke themselves as they orgasm? That sounds like going out on a high note minus the asphyxiation part...
President of DDO
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:45:05 PM
At 2/19/2011 6:42:34 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

It depends what kind of depression you're faced with. If you have a clinically severe case, antidepressants will be far more effective than if you had only a mild or moderate case. Besides, it's not a physical disease, which means it's not something you can "cure" in the sense of eliminating some vile pathogen. The point of antidepressants (assuming that they're intended to prevent relapse) is sort of like a dam. It doesn't dry up the river, but it stops the water from destroying everything.

I have been under the impression for quite awhile now that most of depression is just circumstancial. I'm not so sure though since I kinda always have had a hard time, having been bullied and such in school.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:45:29 PM
At 2/19/2011 6:42:57 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I honestly feel like I have nothing.

Shame on you. Do you know what you are? You are the universe consciously aware of itself. Can you think of anything more special or amazing?! The stars died so you could be here today! Appreciate what you have and try to make the best of any situation. If there's something upsetting you, fix it. I think you need to identify the problem before you can fix it or just assume you have depression... And if you do have depression legitimately, then medication should be a viable option.
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:46:25 PM
If possible, have a beer.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:46:48 PM
And I'll be honest in saying that, for all of the claims you make about the harms of drugs and their lack of efficacy in treating depression, presenting the alternative of self-harm (which is not only harmful by definition, but is obviously ineffective in coping healthily with depression).
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:47:28 PM
At 2/19/2011 6:46:48 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
And I'll be honest in saying that, for all of the claims you make about the harms of drugs and their lack of efficacy in treating depression, presenting the alternative of self-harm (which is not only harmful by definition, but is obviously ineffective in coping healthily with depression) is much worse.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:51:30 PM
At 2/19/2011 6:45:05 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have been under the impression for quite awhile now that most of depression is just circumstancial.

Maybe you should talk to a neuroscience major (Kenyon) or neuropsych major (Vi) before coming to these conclusions... I don't think that's true. Most of the time it has to do with your brain not producing or processing chemicals properly, which affects the way an individual perceives their environment and reacts to certain things.
President of DDO
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:52:14 PM
At 2/19/2011 6:46:25 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

No, I almost killed myself a few weeks ago due to an over-dose.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:54:15 PM
INH Medication should definitely be used in severe cases and yours would definitely be classified as a severe case. Get help immediately.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:54:43 PM
At 2/19/2011 6:51:30 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 2/19/2011 6:45:05 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have been under the impression for quite awhile now that most of depression is just circumstancial.

Maybe you should talk to a neuroscience major (Kenyon) or neuropsych major (Vi) before coming to these conclusions... I don't think that's true. Most of the time it has to do with your brain not producing or processing chemicals properly, which affects the way an individual perceives their environment and reacts to certain things.

I don't think it takes a neuroscience major to conclude that your depression is circumstantial or not. Obviously if you can pinpoint something that is going wrong in your life, you can easily deduce that that is the cause of the depression. If you're sitting there and can't think of anything wrong at all in your life, then sure, you probably have a chemical imbalance in the brain.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:56:04 PM
At 2/19/2011 6:52:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I said have A beer, not 50. Also, I highly doubt that beer could do that to you. It's only 5% alcohol.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 6:59:04 PM
At 2/19/2011 6:56:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I said have A beer, not 50. Also, I highly doubt that beer could do that to you. It's only 5% alcohol.

It wasn't beer that almost killed me, but it was still alcohol and at this point I'm not sure how much self-control I would have.
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:09:39 PM
At 2/19/2011 6:59:04 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/19/2011 6:56:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

It wasn't beer that almost killed me, but it was still alcohol and at this point I'm not sure how much self-control I would have.

Just chug a ton of moonshine
Charr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:39:05 PM
This is a sad topic.
B(

I don't think it is in our human nature to suicide.
And it's incredibly circumstantial that you came into existence in the first place.
I mean, like what are the odds and stuff.
Plus your parents (at least) would be like "B'(".
I mean, like, didn't they, like raise you.
Plus you could be in Africa.
With Africans.

(Africans scare me.)
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:42:27 PM
At 2/19/2011 7:39:05 PM, Charr wrote:
This is a sad topic.
B(

I don't think it is in our human nature to suicide.
And it's incredibly circumstantial that you came into existence in the first place.
I mean, like what are the odds and stuff.
Plus your parents (at least) would be like "B'(".
I mean, like, didn't they, like raise you.
Plus you could be in Africa.
With Africans.

(Africans scare me.)

sure they raised me, but my parents don't really do much now to help; They have been divorced since I was like six years old. Now my mom is practically an alcoholic and my dad just simply doesn't care and constantly puts me down and makes me feel bad.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:42:57 PM
At 2/19/2011 6:15:23 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have been having thoughts about self-harm and even suicide again. What should I do? I have almost no support system in place, but I really feel that I'll end up doing something soon if this sh*tty life of mine doesn't get better. I pretty much feel worthless right now.:

Seek medical help and they will direct you to people who offer mental health. Virtually every hospital has a mental health unit.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 7:59:10 PM
At 2/19/2011 6:15:23 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have been having thoughts about self-harm and even suicide again. What should I do? I have almost no support system in place, but I really feel that I'll end up doing something soon if this sh*tty life of mine doesn't get better. I pretty much feel worthless right now.

You can start by not making these threads in a place where you know people will give you the wrong answer.