Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Why do humans experience depression?

imahyperbanana
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 11:32:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is a little bit irrelevant to the point of this section of the forums, but I would like to know why humans go through depression, if any of you guys are willing to go through research (as I am quite lazy myself).

Now, I am not a Bible man. But, in the Bible, it says that it is against the rules of God for one to commit suicide, or he will be sent to Hell. Now, if I were a Bible man, this would be wonderful for me to just go ahead and say that's wonderful. Now, if this were God's plans, why would He deem us to have this ability to have depression?

Surely, the human body does not intend to destroy ourselves, or else our natural instincts would be pointless, but yet we have depression. Why? If the point of humans being alive on this Earth was to reproduce ourselves and fight for survival, then why would we need depression?

Emotion is quite a bitch.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 12:01:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 11:32:14 PM, imahyperbanana wrote:
This is a little bit irrelevant to the point of this section of the forums, but I would like to know why humans go through depression

We have brains capable of doing so.

Now, I am not a Bible man. But, in the Bible, it says that it is against the rules of God for one to commit suicide, or he will be sent to Hell.

No it doesn't. It's a doctrine derived from your life being given and belonging to God.

Now, if this were God's plans, why would He deem us to have this ability to have depression?

Who says it's a plan with that specific causality?

Surely, the human body does not intend to destroy ourselves, or else our natural instincts would be pointless

Depression, under some models of behaviour is *explicitly* arrived from self preservation. Physical and mental lethargy being the key factor.

Why?

There are evolutionary models to depression.

If the point of humans being alive on this Earth was to reproduce ourselves and fight for survival, then why would we need depression?

If you are talking about evolution then there is no point. It is not goal directed in that abstract sense. Even so, evolved =/= advantageous. That's fairly basic biology ...
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 12:49:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 11:32:14 PM, imahyperbanana wrote:
Now, if this were God's plans, why would He deem us to have this ability to have depression?

As to why humans experience depression, it's a combination of environment, experience and biology. It can be circumstantial and rectified through talk therapy, or, in most legitimate cases, can be helped with the use of anti-depressants that regulate hormone levels that largely contribute to your mood.

Now in response to your question about why God would allow such a thing, I think that's an excellent question for the philosophy forum :)
President of DDO
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 1:49:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
You are depressed because you want something you can't have, and you are letting it effect your mood. That something can be anything, even the desire to not be depressed.

Get to the mental point where your desires do not effect your mood. You are probably too serious. Strong desire is the root of suffering, but seriousness is the root of strong desire.

I'm not even talking out of my arse here. I was chronically depressed for most of my life, up until fairly recently.. It took sh!t really hitting the fan to snap me out of it. My whole life basically fell apart back in late 2007 up until the end of 2009. I battled death of parents, drug use, religious insanities, suicidal thoughts, 2 months in Cook County jail for some bullsh!t charge, homelessness, and countless other generally sh!tty things I'd rather not mention(My butt still hurts thinking about it.. naw, jk lulululul).

Then I figured it out, and now I'm forever at least content. Most of the time happy.

So take it from me, If anyone knows about depression, it's me.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
ccstate4peat
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 2:59:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/20/2011 1:49:51 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
You are depressed because you want something you can't have, and you are letting it effect your mood. That something can be anything, even the desire to not be depressed.

Get to the mental point where your desires do not effect your mood. You are probably too serious. Strong desire is the root of suffering, but seriousness is the root of strong desire.

I'm not even talking out of my arse here. I was chronically depressed for most of my life, up until fairly recently.. It took sh!t really hitting the fan to snap me out of it. My whole life basically fell apart back in late 2007 up until the end of 2009. I battled death of parents, drug use, religious insanities, suicidal thoughts, 2 months in Cook County jail for some bullsh!t charge, homelessness, and countless other generally sh!tty things I'd rather not mention(My butt still hurts thinking about it.. naw, jk lulululul).

Then I figured it out, and now I'm forever at least content. Most of the time happy.


So take it from me, If anyone knows about depression, it's me.

What did you go to jail for?
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 6:22:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/20/2011 2:59:43 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
What did you go to jail for?

Trespassing on land. Not going to court dates.

I was supposed to be only spend a month in jail, but they brought me to the wrong court room after a month, so I had to spend another month in jail.

Basically because I didn't, and still don't take the law seriously. My experience in jail gave me even less respect for the law.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
ccstate4peat
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:08:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/20/2011 6:22:57 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 2/20/2011 2:59:43 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
What did you go to jail for?

Trespassing on land. Not going to court dates.

I was supposed to be only spend a month in jail, but they brought me to the wrong court room after a month, so I had to spend another month in jail.

Basically because I didn't, and still don't take the law seriously. My experience in jail gave me even less respect for the law.

I can't believe trespassing is a month in jail....
How was the buttrape?
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:31:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/20/2011 7:08:39 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 2/20/2011 6:22:57 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 2/20/2011 2:59:43 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
What did you go to jail for?

Trespassing on land. Not going to court dates.

I was supposed to be only spend a month in jail, but they brought me to the wrong court room after a month, so I had to spend another month in jail.

Basically because I didn't, and still don't take the law seriously. My experience in jail gave me even less respect for the law.

I can't believe trespassing is a month in jail....
How was the buttrape?

The green d!ck that resulted is with me to this day.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
ccstate4peat
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:33:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/20/2011 7:31:39 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:08:39 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 2/20/2011 6:22:57 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 2/20/2011 2:59:43 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
What did you go to jail for?

Trespassing on land. Not going to court dates.

I was supposed to be only spend a month in jail, but they brought me to the wrong court room after a month, so I had to spend another month in jail.

Basically because I didn't, and still don't take the law seriously. My experience in jail gave me even less respect for the law.

I can't believe trespassing is a month in jail....
How was the buttrape?

The green d!ck that resulted is with me to this day.

As in you raped someone and your penis turned green?
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:33:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/20/2011 6:22:57 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 2/20/2011 2:59:43 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
What did you go to jail for?

Trespassing on land. Not going to court dates.

I was supposed to be only spend a month in jail, but they brought me to the wrong court room after a month, so I had to spend another month in jail.

Basically because I didn't, and still don't take the law seriously. My experience in jail gave me even less respect for the law.
signature
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:39:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/20/2011 7:33:11 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:31:39 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:08:39 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 2/20/2011 6:22:57 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 2/20/2011 2:59:43 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
What did you go to jail for?

Trespassing on land. Not going to court dates.

I was supposed to be only spend a month in jail, but they brought me to the wrong court room after a month, so I had to spend another month in jail.

Basically because I didn't, and still don't take the law seriously. My experience in jail gave me even less respect for the law.

I can't believe trespassing is a month in jail....
How was the buttrape?

The green d!ck that resulted is with me to this day.

As in you raped someone and your penis turned green?

No love behind bars, just rodents and crabs, and crotch grabbing gangstas.

I wrote a song about it.

http://www.newgrounds.com...

lyrics start 1 minute in.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
ccstate4peat
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:53:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/20/2011 7:33:39 PM, badger wrote:
At 2/20/2011 6:22:57 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 2/20/2011 2:59:43 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
What did you go to jail for?

Trespassing on land. Not going to court dates.

I was supposed to be only spend a month in jail, but they brought me to the wrong court room after a month, so I had to spend another month in jail.

Basically because I didn't, and still don't take the law seriously. My experience in jail gave me even less respect for the law.



That guy blows
ccstate4peat
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 7:58:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/20/2011 7:56:09 PM, badger wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:53:45 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:

not an ounce of sympathy for him?

Sympathy? Yes. Respect for his music? No.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 8:02:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/20/2011 7:58:22 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:56:09 PM, badger wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:53:45 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:

not an ounce of sympathy for him?

Sympathy? Yes. Respect for his music? No.

well he is a junkie...
signature
ccstate4peat
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 8:03:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/20/2011 8:02:07 PM, badger wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:58:22 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:56:09 PM, badger wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:53:45 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:

not an ounce of sympathy for him?

Sympathy? Yes. Respect for his music? No.

well he is a junkie...

I'd still be able to clap to the proper rhythm of my raps if I were absolutely blazed
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 8:05:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/20/2011 8:03:31 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 2/20/2011 8:02:07 PM, badger wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:58:22 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:56:09 PM, badger wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:53:45 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:

not an ounce of sympathy for him?

Sympathy? Yes. Respect for his music? No.

well he is a junkie...

I'd still be able to clap to the proper rhythm of my raps if I were absolutely blazed

really? i've been in states when i didn't even know what my hands were...
signature
ccstate4peat
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 8:08:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/20/2011 8:05:20 PM, badger wrote:
At 2/20/2011 8:03:31 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 2/20/2011 8:02:07 PM, badger wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:58:22 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:56:09 PM, badger wrote:
At 2/20/2011 7:53:45 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:

not an ounce of sympathy for him?

Sympathy? Yes. Respect for his music? No.

well he is a junkie...

I'd still be able to clap to the proper rhythm of my raps if I were absolutely blazed

really? i've been in states when i didn't even know what my hands were...

I actually laughed at that out loud. I've clearly never done any recreational drugs