Jump to topic:

Why are people...

Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 4:53:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So damned polite on this site. I am new here, but even after reading 10 pages of fighting and bickering, they still shake hands at the end of the day. Is this because of a higher expectation on this site of the members? What is it? Almost everyone here seems to have a unique distinct personality, but there's not alot of real fighting! I think I saw a long time ago something about mongeese and Danielle but even that doesn't seem to pop up....
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:05:29 PM
At 2/22/2011 4:53:16 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
So damned polite on this site.:

STFU!!!

I am new here, but even after reading 10 pages of fighting and bickering, they still shake hands at the end of the day.:

I would say that's a good thing. People should be able to have heated discussions without hating each other.

Is this because of a higher expectation on this site of the members?:

It attracts intellectuals and pseudo-intellectuals. When any 4chan n00bs show up, they're usually run off the site pretty quickly with unrelenting scorn and mockery.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:08:31 PM
So damned polite on this site. I am new here, but even after reading 10 pages of fighting and bickering, they still shake hands at the end of the day.

Hello my name is askbob
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:09:23 PM
At 2/22/2011 5:08:31 PM, askbob wrote:
So damned polite on this site. I am new here, but even after reading 10 pages of fighting and bickering, they still shake hands at the end of the day.

Hello my name is askbob

Refer to the title.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:15:33 PM
We have been a little void of drama for a long while. Although i don't like drama, it does seem to serve a function here, and break up the monotony.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:22:26 PM
At 2/22/2011 5:15:33 PM, innomen wrote:
We have been a little void of drama for a long while. Although i don't like drama, it does seem to serve a function here, and break up the monotony.

<3
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:24:19 PM
So damned polite on this site. I am new here, but even after reading 10 pages of fighting and bickering, they still shake hands at the end of the day. Is this because of a higher expectation on this site of the members? What is it? Almost everyone here seems to have a unique distinct personality, but there's not alot of real fighting! I think I saw a long time ago something about mongeese and Danielle but even that doesn't seem to pop up....

Well, I think that is partly because there is a large base of libertarians and not too many statist and other BIG governments (I know that anarchists and miniarchists bicker about government and such). And most of our libertarians (I'm just lumping all small and no government individuals together, forgive me) can argue, but at the end of the day, they know that they argee on the main points and are only disagreeing on the small points, so they can forgive and forget much easier.

I think that if we do get a lot more statists and big government people, there might become a second large group that may cause a "battle" so to say, and civility may slip because of it.

Also, with most of us being big into the mafia and game section, that gives us topics that we can agree upon and not fight (I love that feature, the more games, the happy the people).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:24:36 PM
At 2/22/2011 5:09:23 PM, Grape wrote:

Hello my name is askbob

Refer to the title.

Refer to my title
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:30:52 PM
At 2/22/2011 5:24:19 PM, OreEle wrote:

Also, with most of us being big into the mafia and game section, that gives us topics that we can agree upon and not fight (I love that feature, the more games, the happy the people).

I see! Give the roman citizen blood in the arena, and there will be peace in the streets!
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 7:06:58 PM
At 2/22/2011 5:30:52 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 2/22/2011 5:24:19 PM, OreEle wrote:

I see! Give the roman citizen blood in the arena, and there will be peace in the streets!

Politeness... What is that, again?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 11:14:14 AM

Hello my name is askbob

HAHAHA!
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 11:17:41 AM
I have never seen anyone "shake hands" at the end of an argument thread. We just mostly manage to keep our threads separate.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 11:37:03 AM
There's actually quite a bit of drama, but it tends not to affect serious threads (unless someone is trying to harass another member off, but even that affecting serious threads is rare)

If you want to see blood being drawn then I suggest you follow threads that Insert makes, and particularly ones that she makes and askbob comments on (I believe you'd have the same number of theads then too tho)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 11:41:07 AM
Part of it not affecting other threads is I could be furious with points and positions that say juvayana has in one thread, but completely agree in a different one.
I think the people here are able to separate people from positions, while at the same time noting positions they have or are likely to argue for.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 11:49:08 AM
I think the respect that people earn helps alot.

Like PCP is pretty well respected by everyone, and no one is likely to attack him.
On the other side
Charles had little/no respect and was eventually scared off by askbob, but most people seem to agree that he should have left/stopped posting like that, even if they don't agree with askbob calling.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 12:50:13 PM
At 2/23/2011 11:37:03 AM, lovelife wrote:
There's actually quite a bit of drama, but it tends not to affect serious threads (unless someone is trying to harass another member off, but even that affecting serious threads is rare)

If you want to see blood being drawn then I suggest you follow threads that Insert makes, and particularly ones that she makes and askbob comments on (I believe you'd have the same number of theads then too tho)

this.

This isn't the real world where everyone's offended if another has a different opinion as there own.

Also, if you start debating someone and start bursting ad hominem attacks, it just means that you conceded the debate and you make an idiot of yourself.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 12:54:07 PM
Also if you do not back up your statements, start ad hominem attacking or using other fallacies, and act victimized if someone disagrees with you, people will attack you back and people will not treat you respectfully.

There's also quite a bit of forgiveness on this site after a feud.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...