Jump to topic:

Meeting People Online

opinionated_girl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 10:20:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I always run into people online that seem just amazing. Actually met one guy who is seriously too good to be true and i cant help but think, "If he is sooo wonderful, why is he still single?" I guess according to match.com, 1 in 5 relationships start online now but it sucks if you think about the fact that maybe the one for you is on the other side of the country, or even world, and the only way to meet them is give into all these cheesy dating websites or go on an online game or mocospace.com.....pathetic almost isnt it?
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 10:23:47 AM
Great topic :)

I think online dating is great. At a quick glance you can see things about a person that you wouldn't be able to know right away if you met them in a club or something. And nowadays, it's difficult to meet people, especially if you aren't into the clubbing scene or if you're not particularly sociable. Sure, people can lie on their online profiles... but people can also lie in real life. That's my two cents :p
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 10:24:04 AM
At 2/28/2011 10:20:59 AM, opinionated_girl wrote:
I always run into people online that seem just amazing... seriously too good to be true ...pathetic almost isnt it?

Got rid of those extra words in there that obscured your point.
kfc
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 10:32:08 AM
I always run into people online that seem just amazing. Actually met one guy who is seriously too good to be true and i cant help but think, "If he is sooo wonderful, why is he still single?":

Well, then the same could be said of you. If you're sooo wonderful, why are you still single? The fact is that there are a lot of good people out there ad they all have different circumstances for why they're single. Just because you meet someone online doesn't necessarily mean they're losers.

BUT you should be cautious of any situation like that. It's good to be skeptical and cautious, but don't let that prevent you from a good possibility.

I guess according to match.com, 1 in 5 relationships start online now but it sucks if you think about the fact that maybe the one for you is on the other side of the country, or even world, and the only way to meet them is give into all these cheesy dating websites or go on an online game or mocospace.com.....pathetic almost isnt it?:

I met my wife online when this whole internet dating thing started. We didn't last, but the point I'm trying to illustrate is that meeting people online is very, very common in this day and age. And, no, it's not necessarily pathetic. That all depends upon the person and their intentions.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 10:51:00 AM
I always run into people online that seem just amazing. Actually met one guy who is seriously too good to be true and i cant help but think, "If he is sooo wonderful, why is he still single?" I guess according to match.com, 1 in 5 relationships start online now but it sucks if you think about the fact that maybe the one for you is on the other side of the country, or even world, and the only way to meet them is give into all these cheesy dating websites or go on an online game or mocospace.com.....pathetic almost isnt it?

I met my bf on a forum website.
It was kinda cool, lives pretty far away tho.
Its kinda scary that if anything from the two months surrounding it were different, we would never have met.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 10:55:03 AM
At 2/28/2011 10:51:00 AM, lovelife wrote:

Its kinda scary that if anything from the two months surrounding it were different, we would never have met.

Scary how the littlest thing can completely change the sequence of events in your entire life...
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 10:56:44 AM
At 2/28/2011 10:55:03 AM, nonentity wrote:

Scary how the littlest thing can completely change the sequence of events in your entire life...

Butterfly Effect ftw.
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 10:57:41 AM
At 2/28/2011 10:32:08 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I always run into people online that seem just amazing. Actually met one guy who is seriously too good to be true and i cant help but think, "If he is sooo wonderful, why is he still single?":

Well, then the same could be said of you. If you're sooo wonderful, why are you still single? The fact is that there are a lot of good people out there ad they all have different circumstances for why they're single. Just because you meet someone online doesn't necessarily mean they're losers.

BUT you should be cautious of any situation like that. It's good to be skeptical and cautious, but don't let that prevent you from a good possibility.

I guess according to match.com, 1 in 5 relationships start online now but it sucks if you think about the fact that maybe the one for you is on the other side of the country, or even world, and the only way to meet them is give into all these cheesy dating websites or go on an online game or mocospace.com.....pathetic almost isnt it?:

I met my wife online when this whole internet dating thing started. We didn't last, but the point I'm trying to illustrate is that meeting people online is very, very common in this day and age. And, no, it's not necessarily pathetic. That all depends upon the person and their intentions.

This.

As far as safety goes, be sure you can bring a couple of friends with you to meet them. Have all your friends and family get to know them.
(This is the same safety I would use meeting someone irl that I haven't known for years. Any new person gets the same treatment, online or not)
Then for a while (no matter how much trust you have) don't go anywhere completely private. Sure you can go back into your bedroom.....but make sure people are in the same house.
I'm constantly updating how much security I need, so there wll prolly be a lot more by next week, and alot that I haven't posted, but I'm sure you get the point. Trust no one, especially right away.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 10:58:48 AM
At 2/28/2011 10:56:44 AM, jmar8542 wrote:
At 2/28/2011 10:55:03 AM, nonentity wrote:

Butterfly Effect ftw.

w00t. It is scary...oh well we met and we're happy so that's all that really matters ^.^
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 11:01:34 AM
lol...I met someone online recently.

Problem is we both think long distance relationships suck :P
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 11:07:11 AM
I met Carlos on line, that was 8 years ago. We were in a chat room discussing politics. Neither of us go to bars, or have occasion to meet people in a social scene, and besides who's to say that meeting someone in a bar isn't kind of pathetic?

I agree with Paradigm in that you need to be careful, and first meetings face to face should be done in very public areas, with pretty low expectations.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 11:09:11 AM
I always run into people online that seem just amazing. Actually met one guy who is seriously too good to be true and i cant help but think, "If he is sooo wonderful, why is he still single?"

I'm pretty awesome, and girls chase after me all the time. I've got 3 who are like obsessed with me right now. The problem isn't that girls don't go for good guys, it's that most girls aren't attractive to good guys.

I'm not talking about physical attraction either. It's something else. I think all women are beautiful. Except for the ugly ones... It's mental mostly. The girls that try to get with me see my humor, and that is about it. I don't feel like I can relate to them on any real level of meaningful communication. I feel like I might as well be talking to a cat or something.

I guess according to match.com, 1 in 5 relationships start online now but it sucks if you think about the fact that maybe the one for you is on the other side of the country, or even world, and the only way to meet them is give into all these cheesy dating websites or go on an online game or mocospace.com.....pathetic almost isnt it?

Don't rush it. Get used to the idea that you will probably die alone.. and be content with that. Then eventually, when someone can relate to comes by, and you two have chemistry.. It'll be magic.

Till then, singles life for me. Sex is easy to find, compatibility is hard to find.. Especially when you are someone who is more interested in personal projects than a relationship.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 11:09:43 AM
At 2/28/2011 11:07:11 AM, innomen wrote:
I met Carlos on line, that was 8 years ago. We were in a chat room discussing politics. Neither of us go to bars, or have occasion to meet people in a social scene, and besides who's to say that meeting someone in a bar isn't kind of pathetic?

Exactly, with bars and clubs, you meet people in a completely different social setting under completely different conditions. My personality type would not fit with someone who frequents clubs or bars on a regular basis...
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 11:10:39 AM
Neither of us go to bars, or have occasion to meet people in a social scene, and besides who's to say that meeting someone in a bar isn't kind of pathetic?

Which is exactly why I only meet people online nowadays lol
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 11:12:30 AM
I tried online dating once, wasn't pleased with the results. I am not half as charming online as I am in person.

In the flesh, I'm rather magical.

So yeah, in case you didn't get what I was saying.. I wouldn't worry about getting into a relationship. Concentrate on your own dreams, and down the line you might meet someone who isn't just telling you what you want to hear to get in your panties. If you want to do online dating, that is fine. Just isn't for me personally.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 11:49:12 AM
At 2/28/2011 11:12:30 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I tried online dating once, wasn't pleased with the results. I am not half as charming online as I am in person.

So yeah, in case you didn't get what I was saying.. I wouldn't worry about getting into a relationship. Concentrate on your own dreams, and down the line you might meet someone who isn't just telling you what you want to hear to get in your panties. If you want to do online dating, that is fine. Just isn't for me personally.

Yeah I would have had to go islamic or online dating (even a burqa wouldn't work. I tried that before)
I can't stand shallow "relationships" based on looks, and sadly for me, that's all anyone sees in me. They see a pretty face, skinny body, and a not flat chest, so they think that's all I am. They don't care about what I think, feel, or believe, and I cannot date anyone like that.

(I was dating my bf for nearly half a year before he ever saw what I looked like. And even then the pic my friend stole of me wasn't very flattering.)

Plus I can rest assured that if all he wanted was someone to fvck, he could easily get the same thing in Canada.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 12:08:11 PM
At 2/28/2011 11:49:12 AM, lovelife wrote:
At 2/28/2011 11:12:30 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

I can't stand shallow "relationships" based on looks, and sadly for me, that's all anyone sees in me. They see a pretty face, skinny body, and a not flat chest, so they think that's all I am. They don't care about what I think, feel, or believe, and I cannot date anyone like that.

I wouldn't go the extreme that looks are the only important thing, however one cannot deny its inherent value in our evolutionary program. We our programmed to find mates that, although sometimes prehistoric, our still inherent in our programming. A pretty face signals youth and good health. Same with breasts, and a skinny body is ideal for child bearing.

Also, (well technically this doesn't apply to you since your bi), however if you do not plan on dating someone based on personality and not looks, why date of only one gender? Unless one takes into the mechanics of sex, then why exclude yourself from only one gender, since you can find certain personality traits in both genders?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 12:15:05 PM
At 2/28/2011 10:23:47 AM, nonentity wrote:

I think online dating is great. At a quick glance you can see things about a person that you wouldn't be able to know right away if you met them in a club or something. And nowadays, it's difficult to meet people, especially if you aren't into the clubbing scene or if you're not particularly sociable. Sure, people can lie on their online profiles... but people can also lie in real life. That's my two cents :p

It's easier to lie online then in real life.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 12:26:22 PM
At 2/28/2011 12:15:05 PM, OreEle wrote:

But a bloke can't get his fingers and tops online: a major drawback. :)
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 1:16:25 PM
It's a terrible idea, I mean you might meet an awesome person who happens to be swinging by your city during summer and look forward to an awesome 2 weeks + with them.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 1:27:18 PM
At 2/28/2011 12:15:05 PM, OreEle wrote:

In what way? Most people have webcams so people can't lie about their gender, or too much about their age. There's no difference unless you're a highly gullible person.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 1:34:16 PM

The guy I *was* dating I met online, but not on a dating site. We met through another mutual friend actually and finally we met in person after talking for over a year.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 1:54:40 PM
At 2/28/2011 11:09:43 AM, nonentity wrote:

Exactly, with bars and clubs, you meet people in a completely different social setting under completely different conditions. My personality type would not fit with someone who frequents clubs or bars on a regular basis...:

Precisely. I don't think a bar or a club is where I would want to find my future ex-wife :p

Jocularity aside, there are a lot of benefits to the online gig. You can actually screen people for what you're attracted to in a huge database, versus rolling the dice at a club.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 1:57:00 PM
I can't stand shallow "relationships" based on looks, and sadly for me, that's all anyone sees in me. They see a pretty face, skinny body, and a not flat chest, so they think that's all I am. They don't care about what I think, feel, or believe, and I cannot date anyone like that.:

That's because they aren't looking for a relationship, they're looking for a wet hole to stick their pee-pee in. Sorry for the crass imagery, but it's true.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 1:59:02 PM
At 2/28/2011 1:16:25 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
It's a terrible idea, I mean you might meet an awesome person who happens to be swinging by your city during summer and look forward to an awesome 2 weeks + with them.:

But you can specifically look for people within your proximity. You don't have to be chatting it up with a Tibetan on a Himalayan mountaintop if you have no interest in a long-distance relationship (aka wishful thinking).
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 2:01:12 PM
You know you can narrow your matches to people within a certain distance of you right?

That way people who live real far won't even show up on the radar.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 2:55:13 PM
At 2/28/2011 2:50:42 PM, Danielle wrote:
Pfft. Meeting online is stupid and gross and weird and pathetic.

didn't you meet Vi online?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 3:01:03 PM
At 2/28/2011 2:55:13 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 2/28/2011 2:50:42 PM, Danielle wrote:
Pfft. Meeting online is stupid and gross and weird and pathetic.

I don't understand sarcasm
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.