Children

Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 12:32:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Do any of you have kids?

Have any of you wondered if having kids would be a good idea?

Any thoughts about whether having kids early vs. late is a good idea?
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 12:37:03 PM
At 3/7/2011 12:32:13 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Do any of you have kids?

look into my avatar and take a guess, lol.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 12:38:58 PM
At 3/7/2011 12:37:03 PM, OreEle wrote:
Do any of you have kids?

look into my avatar and take a guess, lol.

It is a baby seal!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 12:42:41 PM
Do any of you have kids?

You know my thoughts :-(
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 12:43:07 PM
At 3/7/2011 12:42:41 PM, innomen wrote:
Do any of you have kids?

no
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 12:46:10 PM
Kids are definitely out of the question until you reach 30.

That's that. How can you party and take care of kids at the same time? I know several people who either can't go out or can't stay out late because of babies.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 12:46:45 PM
At 3/7/2011 12:43:07 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/7/2011 12:42:41 PM, innomen wrote:
Do any of you have kids?

no

Directed toward Rob personally. - essentially don't miss massive life opportunities if you can.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 12:48:15 PM
At 3/7/2011 12:36:12 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
I have a 15 year old teenager. wheeee.

Yikes! I'm sorry to hear that. I'd shoot myself lol.
President of DDO
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 12:48:35 PM
Do any of you have kids?

No, but I raised my little sister until last November when my grandparents took her away. :(

Depends on the time in my life and where I'm at financially.

Late is better.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 12:52:58 PM
Do any of you have kids?:

Two

Have any of you wondered if having kids would be a good idea?:

Depends on the couple. Some people should be sterilized :)

Any thoughts about whether having kids early vs. late is a good idea?:

You don't want to have them too young or too old. Too young and you're more likely to be a terrible parent and will have squandered your years of freedom. Too old and you can't enjoy your own children.

I think a good child rearing range is 24-32 years of age. We'll call the median 28 as optimal.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 12:59:39 PM
At 3/7/2011 12:52:58 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Do any of you have kids?:

Two

Have any of you wondered if having kids would be a good idea?:

Depends on the couple. Some people should be sterilized :)

Any thoughts about whether having kids early vs. late is a good idea?:

You don't want to have them too young or too old. Too young and you're more likely to be a terrible parent and will have squandered your years of freedom. Too old and you can't enjoy your own children.

I think a good child rearing range is 24-32 years of age. We'll call the median 28 as optimal.

Man, I'm 22 and can't imagine being able to support and raise a child fully (to the capacity I want to) until I'm in my 30's.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 1:03:01 PM
Considering I'm at that age where all my friends and classmates have already graduated from college, I feel like a large majority of my peers are getting married and having babies now according to Facebook. WTF. I know a lot of religious people do it because no ring = no nookie. And I know some people who got preggers and then decided to marry their high school sweetheart and/or baby daddy. But I am really baffled by those who get married young just because they're madly in love.

I have been madly in love, and I AM madly in love, but when I think of myself at 18, 20, 22, and now going on 24 next month - holy crap. I almost feel like I was 4 different people. I also feel like the people I've dated have become "different people" (lol inb4 thread derailing about philosophical identity). Even though I am sooo extremely confident that I have found the 'love of my life,' and even though I strongly believe we won't have any problems growing together, I still feel no rush to get married... ya know, if I had equal rights and all.

I feel very secure, and I like to think of marriage as a definite happy possibility somewhere down the line. I think maybe when I am 28 I will seriously consider marriage, and prolly get married by 30. Also, even though I really wanna experience a whole lot before being saddled with kids (just thinking of the EXPENSE... especially for a lesbian couple who has to get in vitro and all of these other very high costs -- plus the kid themselves), and how much I'll have to sacrifice including with my career... you know how much corporate America loves working moms... well, I still don't wanna have kids too late.

I want to be somewhat young and have my body able to bounce back. Ideally I'd have a kid or two between 32--35. I used to think I didn't want kids, or that I wanted to adopt, but then I realized I want to give into my egotistical urges and have a baby of my own... just because I know my baby will be so friggin cute and AWESOME! I'm seriously doing it for the world at large. People will thank me.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 1:11:31 PM
At 3/7/2011 1:03:01 PM, Danielle wrote:
Considering I'm at that age where all my friends and classmates have already graduated from college, I feel like a large majority of my peers are getting married and having babies now according to Facebook. WTF. I know a lot of religious people do it because no ring = no nookie. And I know some people who got preggers and then decided to marry their high school sweetheart and/or baby daddy. But I am really baffled by those who get married young just because they're madly in love.

I have been madly in love, and I AM madly in love, but when I think of myself at 18, 20, 22, and now going on 24 next month - holy crap. I almost feel like I was 4 different people. I also feel like the people I've dated have become "different people" (lol inb4 thread derailing about philosophical identity). Even though I am sooo extremely confident that I have found the 'love of my life,' and even though I strongly believe we won't have any problems growing together, I still feel no rush to get married... ya know, if I had equal rights and all.

I feel very secure, and I like to think of marriage as a definite happy possibility somewhere down the line. I think maybe when I am 28 I will seriously consider marriage, and prolly get married by 30. Also, even though I really wanna experience a whole lot before being saddled with kids (just thinking of the EXPENSE... especially for a lesbian couple who has to get in vitro and all of these other very high costs -- plus the kid themselves), and how much I'll have to sacrifice including with my career... you know how much corporate America loves working moms... well, I still don't wanna have kids too late.

I want to be somewhat young and have my body able to bounce back. Ideally I'd have a kid or two between 32--35. I used to think I didn't want kids, or that I wanted to adopt, but then I realized I want to give into my egotistical urges and have a baby of my own... just because I know my baby will be so friggin cute and AWESOME! I'm seriously doing it for the world at large. People will thank me.

Lol, I was married at 19, without any anchors (like getting the girl pregnant or anything).
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 1:18:02 PM
At 3/7/2011 1:11:31 PM, OreEle wrote:

Lol, I was married at 19, without any anchors (like getting the girl pregnant or anything).

Why?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 1:31:23 PM
At 3/7/2011 1:21:32 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
lol, getting married at 19? I didn't even have my first bf until I was 19.

Probably not for the best of reasons. Sorry, just my opinion.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 1:35:22 PM
At 3/7/2011 1:31:23 PM, innomen wrote:

LMFAO
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 1:46:06 PM
At 3/7/2011 1:35:22 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

LMFAO

Actually i misread her post. I have no idea what his reasons are. My error in that post.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 1:47:31 PM
I am really baffled by those who get married young just because they're madly in love.:

Quite baffling.

I have been madly in love, and I AM madly in love, but when I think of myself at 18, 20, 22, and now going on 24 next month - holy crap. I almost feel like I was 4 different people.:

In a sense, you were. You're never going to be the same person you are right now 10 years from now.

inb4 thread derailing about philosophical identity:

Heh

I still feel no rush to get married:

I question the purpose and need of marriage more every day.

Reminds of a funny clip (starts at 7:25)
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 1:53:59 PM

I think gay people need a little extra time to figure out stuff first. At least for guys, there is at least a year, typically more, if not forever, a time where stability needs to set in.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 1:56:18 PM
At 3/7/2011 1:18:02 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Why?

Because she was a really good cook, lol. why do you think? Love.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 2:05:05 PM
At 3/7/2011 1:53:59 PM, innomen wrote:
I think gay people need a little extra time to figure out stuff first. At least for guys, there is at least a year, typically more, if not forever, a time where stability needs to set in.

I don't think a lot of gay men should have children. It's science! I know you and I have similar issues/concerns about gay men. Most I know are without a doubt the most shallow, self-obsessed, self-absorbed, self-important people on the planet. They're biologically hardwired to want sex all the time. A lot of those qualities don't typically make for a stable, lasting relationship (just being honest). Of course there are tons of amazing gay men who would make excellent fathers, and they should go for it. But most, I agree, definitely need a lot of think time before they make that decision. Kids are not an accessory.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 2:07:37 PM
At 3/7/2011 1:56:18 PM, OreEle wrote:

My parents were madly in love at 18. They married at 22. Had me at 24. Divorced at 26.

Meh. I don't think anybody (especially my family) would take me/my relationship seriously if I married so young. Of course they won't take any of my relationships seriously because they're with women lol but I digress. I've been with Vi for over 2 years. I don't think my mom's said so much as "hi" to her.
President of DDO
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 2:08:09 PM

hahahahaha same thing here
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 2:10:58 PM
At 3/7/2011 1:56:18 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 1:18:02 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Why?

The former reason is more sound. Love only exists for a short time, but a good cook lasts forever.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 2:19:12 PM
Do any of you have kids?

I don't think so, I'm pretty cafeful. My dad has 5 kids with four women(one had twins), so I didn't want to follow his example.

For me the only relevant variable is money. Once I can afford kids, I'll have them. The earlier the better. The closer together the better. I want three kids, all boys before I'm 35.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 2:20:11 PM
At 3/7/2011 2:05:05 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 1:53:59 PM, innomen wrote:

I don't think a lot of gay men should have children. It's science! I know you and I have similar issues/concerns about gay men. Most I know are without a doubt the most shallow, self-obsessed, self-absorbed, self-important people on the planet. They're biologically hardwired to want sex all the time. A lot of those qualities don't typically make for a stable, lasting relationship (just being honest). Of course there are tons of amazing gay men who would make excellent fathers, and they should go for it. But most, I agree, definitely need a lot of think time before they make that decision. Kids are not an accessory.

I'm in 100% agreement with that. But i would refrain from putting something like that on my facebook page.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 2:24:35 PM

ZING!
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 3:06:56 PM
I think gay people need a little extra time to figure out stuff first. At least for guys, there is at least a year, typically more, if not forever, a time where stability needs to set in.:

You know, a lot of people say they need to be stable first in order to have children, which certainly sounds very responsible, but when is anyone ever really consider themselves stable? Ask anyone on DDO if they are at the level they want to be, and I can almost guarantee not a single person is financially content.

I have friends who say this all the time, and they're nearing their 40's, and they have good careers and own two homes. Uh... How much more stable do you want to be, and do you think your woman's is going to be fertile forever?

Secondly, isn't the gay male demographic, on average, the wealthiest per capita?