Jump to topic:

Athletic Aptitude

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 10:25:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Anyone else lose respect for people who lack athletic ability. I know it's turrible but I've come to find thats how my mind works. I'm not talking about brilliant intellectuals who write books and wouldn't be seen in a gym. It's things like having more respect for Obama just because hes a competent basketball player.
The example I've come across a lot is profs at my school trying to play basketball, if they are uncoordinated I automatically lose a little bit of respect for them.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 10:30:12 PM
I'll only lose respect for someone if they claim to have athletic ability, brag about their "mad skillz" and then suck when they're actually on the mats/rink/field/court.

I met one guy who spent 20 min. trying to prove why girls can't play Hockey. I challenged him to a one-on-one. We'd each be goalie while the other shoots. First of all, is slap-shot made me laugh. A lot. He could barely skate fast. His form while shooting was horrendous. I could go on.... Needless to say, I scored 34 goals on him while he scored.... *dramatic pause*..... NONE.

Yeah, I lost a lot of respect for him -- if not all.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 10:45:27 PM
At 3/7/2011 10:30:12 PM, annhasle wrote:
I'll only lose respect for someone if they claim to have athletic ability, brag about their "mad skillz" and then suck when they're actually on the mats/rink/field/court.

I met one guy who spent 20 min. trying to prove why girls can't play Hockey. I challenged him to a one-on-one. We'd each be goalie while the other shoots. First of all, is slap-shot made me laugh. A lot. He could barely skate fast. His form while shooting was horrendous. I could go on.... Needless to say, I scored 34 goals on him while he scored.... *dramatic pause*..... NONE.

Ann, I hate to be the one to break this to you but.....

He let you win. :(
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 10:50:44 PM
At 3/7/2011 10:45:27 PM, jharry wrote:

After he spent 20 min. ripping on girls who play contact sports? He claimed that all girls should stay off the ice. That the only time a girl would win is if she flashed the referee as payment for making bad calls. And that all girls who do play, and win, are dikes and should be slapped. He went ballistic when I told him that I:
a) play Hockey
b) teach Karate
c) played Rugby
d) and am heterosexual

I sincerely doubt with every fiber of my being that he let me win. Not when there were people watching (his friends included) and he had just spat all that crap.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 10:57:19 PM
Those without athletic ability should be culled.

Has anyone got a knife?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 11:00:58 PM
My ex always let me win when we first started dating. I'd thought he was just really bad at sports...

We went to a batting cage and I missed every pitch... he got some of them and acted like he was bad at baseball. Months later, I found a picture of him in his baseball uniform (he played for a team).

We were playing 21 in his driveway and I kept missing shots and he kept missing shots. I'd thought he was just really bad at basketball but after a while he said "Fvck it, I'm bored" and sunk the rest of the shots in a row to end the game.

We were playing pool and I was losing terribly... he started sinking my balls in and acting as though it was an accident.

Damn... looking back, I really suck.
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 11:04:52 PM
lol I always hate it when I see guys let girls win. I mean, I suck at a lot of sports...but no one ever offers to let me win XP
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 11:08:40 PM
At 3/7/2011 11:00:58 PM, nonentity wrote:
My ex always let me win when we first started dating. I'd thought he was just really bad at sports...

We went to a batting cage and I missed every pitch... he got some of them and acted like he was bad at baseball. Months later, I found a picture of him in his baseball uniform (he played for a team).

We were playing 21 in his driveway and I kept missing shots and he kept missing shots. I'd thought he was just really bad at basketball but after a while he said "Fvck it, I'm bored" and sunk the rest of the shots in a row to end the game.

We were playing pool and I was losing terribly... he started sinking my balls in and acting as though it was an accident.

Was that his reward?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 11:11:38 PM
At 3/7/2011 10:50:44 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 3/7/2011 10:45:27 PM, jharry wrote:

After he spent 20 min. ripping on girls who play contact sports? He claimed that all girls should stay off the ice. That the only time a girl would win is if she flashed the referee as payment for making bad calls. And that all girls who do play, and win, are dikes and should be slapped. He went ballistic when I told him that I:
a) play Hockey
b) teach Karate
c) played Rugby
d) and am heterosexual

I sincerely doubt with every fiber of my being that he let me win. Not when there were people watching (his friends included) and he had just spat all that crap.

What ever helps you sleep tonight. ;)

He probably wanted in your britches. Sorry to break it to you
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 11:11:40 PM
At 3/7/2011 11:08:40 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Was that his reward?

LOL x 10

Jmar, that is why guys let girls win :L
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 11:13:11 PM
At 3/7/2011 11:11:40 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 3/7/2011 11:08:40 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Was that his reward?

LOL x 10

Jmar, that is why guys let girls win :L

Ah...I've been doing it wrong this whole time o.o
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 11:22:06 PM
a) play Hockey

I just can't respect any hockey skills from someone outside of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Canada etc. Compared to most people I know, I'm a below average skater but for some reason when I go play with family out of state, even though they're athletic and I haven't been on the ice in months, I can still outskate them. I haven't played in a year or so, but from shooting outside with friends that are pretty good, I can still shoot. I don't think I'm good either, I just think being around it so much, I can hold my own. I threw Wisconsin in there to be nice because I know they have a few players in the NHL, but no region in the US beats Minnesota. The last two Conn-Smythe winners went to high school in Minnesota. We're the state of hockey for a reason. Detroit isn't hockeytown, it's Minneapolis-St. Paul. Can you name anyone from Detroit who's won a Stanley Cup? No. How about Minnesota? Of course, hockey is first nature here. Herb Brooks (pre 1980) said that winning the MN State Title as a player and a coach was one of his best if not the best achievement of his hockey career. If I lost you at "Conn-Smythe" you're clearly don't know shît about hockey. I'm just in a ranty sort of mood now... It's more like endlessly babble though, I just can't stop typing
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 11:55:17 PM
At 3/7/2011 11:22:06 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
a) play Hockey

I just can't respect any hockey skills from someone outside of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Canada etc. Compared to most people I know, I'm a below average skater but for some reason when I go play with family out of state, even though they're athletic and I haven't been on the ice in months, I can still outskate them. I haven't played in a year or so, but from shooting outside with friends that are pretty good, I can still shoot. I don't think I'm good either, I just think being around it so much, I can hold my own. I threw Wisconsin in there to be nice because I know they have a few players in the NHL, but no region in the US beats Minnesota. The last two Conn-Smythe winners went to high school in Minnesota. We're the state of hockey for a reason. Detroit isn't hockeytown, it's Minneapolis-St. Paul. Can you name anyone from Detroit who's won a Stanley Cup? No. How about Minnesota? Of course, hockey is first nature here. Herb Brooks (pre 1980) said that winning the MN State Title as a player and a coach was one of his best if not the best achievement of his hockey career. If I lost you at "Conn-Smythe" you're clearly don't know shît about hockey. I'm just in a ranty sort of mood now... It's more like endlessly babble though, I just can't stop typing

I compete in Vancouver for Hockey -- not in the states. I've coached teams down here but it's too.... weird. In Canada, it's ALWAYS about Hockey. I mean, if you missed work and called your boss with the excuse, "Sorry, the Canucks were playing"... your boss would say, "Oh okay. Well, tape it next time." The reason I chose to move to Seattle after Compton was so I could start playing Hockey again with real athletes. Well, real hockey players. So... I might not live in Canada, but I'm a thoroughbred Canadian hockey player. I'm the girl version of Daniel Sedin. Lol!

Oh, and Detroit is second in the division right now...