Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Hypnosis

m93samman
Posts: 2,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2011 11:54:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At my dorm building, at what was scheduled to be 9:30, we had a "hypnotist" show up to perform.

So, starting at 9:30 and ending at 11, a lot of stuff happened. I volunteered, along with maybe 20 people. He selected the best 8 or 9 people to "hypnotize", and I was one of them. After the full hour of what it was, I woke up only recalling about 5 minutes of it, (which is what he said before he woke us up), and I was extremely thirsty (which is what he said we would be).

I didn't believe it, but it worked. Further, as he said before the show, those hypnotized will feel extremely refreshed. 20 minutes of hypnosis =~ 8 hours of sleep. It's 12am here (almost), but I feel like it's 9pm.

It was awesome. I never believed it, but the first hand experience made me more open to these things. It's a science of the mind.

Just thought I'd share. If you have questions, feel free to ask.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:07:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/22/2011 11:54:27 PM, m93samman wrote:
At my dorm building, at what was scheduled to be 9:30, we had a "hypnotist" show up to perform.

So, starting at 9:30 and ending at 11, a lot of stuff happened. I volunteered, along with maybe 20 people. He selected the best 8 or 9 people to "hypnotize", and I was one of them. After the full hour of what it was, I woke up only recalling about 5 minutes of it, (which is what he said before he woke us up), and I was extremely thirsty (which is what he said we would be).

I didn't believe it, but it worked. Further, as he said before the show, those hypnotized will feel extremely refreshed. 20 minutes of hypnosis =~ 8 hours of sleep. It's 12am here (almost), but I feel like it's 9pm.

It was awesome. I never believed it, but the first hand experience made me more open to these things. It's a science of the mind.

Just thought I'd share. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Awesome. I know quite a lot about the principles of hypnosis, though I've never practised or experienced it first hand. It really is an amazing thing.
Let me guess, the hypnotist was well dressed, clean and soft-spoken but forceful and confident?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
m93samman
Posts: 2,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:13:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 12:07:04 AM, tvellalott wrote:
Let me guess, the hypnotist was well dressed, clean and soft-spoken but forceful and confident?

yes
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:34:52 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/22/2011 11:54:27 PM, m93samman wrote:

He selected the best 8 or 9 people to "hypnotize", and I was one of them.

How does that work? Is there a test? What makes people more susceptible to hypnosis?
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:49:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 1:34:52 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 3/22/2011 11:54:27 PM, m93samman wrote:

He selected the best 8 or 9 people to "hypnotize", and I was one of them.

How does that work? Is there a test? What makes people more susceptible to hypnosis?

They can pick people, sometimes just by their eye movements, who will be susceptible.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:49:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 1:34:52 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 3/22/2011 11:54:27 PM, m93samman wrote:

He selected the best 8 or 9 people to "hypnotize", and I was one of them.

How does that work? Is there a test? What makes people more susceptible to hypnosis?

People who are highly suggestible or open to experience. But yeah, I'm curious, too, as to how he selected people. I think it's pretty cool and I'd like to try it one day.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 2:48:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 1:49:53 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 3/23/2011 1:34:52 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 3/22/2011 11:54:27 PM, m93samman wrote:

He selected the best 8 or 9 people to "hypnotize", and I was one of them.

How does that work? Is there a test? What makes people more susceptible to hypnosis?

People who are highly suggestible or open to experience. But yeah, I'm curious, too, as to how he selected people. I think it's pretty cool and I'd like to try it one day.

They learn through experience to tell who is susceptible through body language.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
m93samman
Posts: 2,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 7:17:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
He did a mind test to make the selections. The particular one he did was he asked everyone to close there eyes and lock there hands together (alternating fingers), and then, while we had our hands closed he painted a picture of a magnet in between our palms, glue being poured over our hands, and some irresistible force that made our two hands just one steel ball. By the end of it, he told us to pull apart, and most of us couldn't, then he "popped our hands like an egg"... they all came undone. My hands really felt like one steel ball. The key, I noticed, is being cooperatively imaginative. He made me dance, which is something I've never done in public.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 7:35:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 7:17:50 AM, m93samman wrote:
He did a mind test to make the selections. The particular one he did was he asked everyone to close there eyes and lock there hands together (alternating fingers), and then, while we had our hands closed he painted a picture of a magnet in between our palms, glue being poured over our hands, and some irresistible force that made our two hands just one steel ball. By the end of it, he told us to pull apart, and most of us couldn't, then he "popped our hands like an egg"... they all came undone. My hands really felt like one steel ball. The key, I noticed, is being cooperatively imaginative. He made me dance, which is something I've never done in public.

yikes!.. I don't think i'd be 'susceptible'..

I'd be skeptical to the point that I wouldn't just give in... i'd just end up undermining it and make sure I was doing things deliberately rather than simply going with the instructions as they come...

or did you do that and it didn't work??

did you begin the process by just Completely forgetting yourself and going along with what he said.. or did you begin it by Actively/Deliberately following his instructions?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
m93samman
Posts: 2,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 7:46:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 7:35:05 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/23/2011 7:17:50 AM, m93samman wrote:
He did a mind test to make the selections. The particular one he did was he asked everyone to close there eyes and lock there hands together (alternating fingers), and then, while we had our hands closed he painted a picture of a magnet in between our palms, glue being poured over our hands, and some irresistible force that made our two hands just one steel ball. By the end of it, he told us to pull apart, and most of us couldn't, then he "popped our hands like an egg"... they all came undone. My hands really felt like one steel ball. The key, I noticed, is being cooperatively imaginative. He made me dance, which is something I've never done in public.

yikes!.. I don't think i'd be 'susceptible'..

I'd be skeptical to the point that I wouldn't just give in... i'd just end up undermining it and make sure I was doing things deliberately rather than simply going with the instructions as they come...

or did you do that and it didn't work??

did you begin the process by just Completely forgetting yourself and going along with what he said.. or did you begin it by Actively/Deliberately following his instructions?

you have to comply. If your mindset is "this doesn't work", it won't work. That's what I had in mind before time. However, he called that out explicitly, so I tried to be as helpful as possible. The more I listened to him, the more focused I got. And by focused, I mean, I could hear and point out individuals in my mind in the crowd out of around a hundred people even though my eyes were totally shut most of the time.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 2:49:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Here is a part of one of my lecture notes from last year:

Automatism
Accomplishing a task with little or no conscious awareness
Much of our life involves non-conscious mental activity (both perception and memory)
Automatic, non-deliberate, not self-monitored

-behaviours that we do sometimes become automatic where we become sort of amnesic to certain parts (you remember waking up and getting ready, but you can't remember how you got to work—you drove automatically)
-this is generally not extreme for most people
-somewhere between 10 and 1% would be the prevalence rate for dissociative disorder
-characterized by absorption—you get so engrossed in a film that you lose track of time, what's happening around you, and your sense of self as you get involved in the story
-people who are high in absorption are also highly hypnotizable
-"openness to experiencing" on the Big 5 is high in people with high absorption
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 2:56:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/22/2011 11:54:27 PM, m93samman wrote:
At my dorm building, at what was scheduled to be 9:30, we had a "hypnotist" show up to perform.

So, starting at 9:30 and ending at 11, a lot of stuff happened. I volunteered, along with maybe 20 people. He selected the best 8 or 9 people to "hypnotize", and I was one of them. After the full hour of what it was, I woke up only recalling about 5 minutes of it, (which is what he said before he woke us up), and I was extremely thirsty (which is what he said we would be).

I didn't believe it, but it worked. Further, as he said before the show, those hypnotized will feel extremely refreshed. 20 minutes of hypnosis =~ 8 hours of sleep. It's 12am here (almost), but I feel like it's 9pm.

lol, if that was true, you'd think businesses would be all over that to improve productivity of workers.


It was awesome. I never believed it, but the first hand experience made me more open to these things. It's a science of the mind.

Just thought I'd share. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

My wife went to one (the entire senior class did for their grad party, I missed it because my brother had a seizure that night) and was told that it only works on people who are willing to let it work on them (meaning if you don't believe it, its not going to work).

Though her hypnosis was much more mild than yours. They had things, like "the person next to you smelled really good" (either that, or she was lying because there were pictures online that made it look like she was necking some random guy, lol).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ccstate4peat
Posts: 2,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 2:58:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 2:49:01 PM, nonentity wrote:
Here is a part of one of my lecture notes from last year:

Automatism
Accomplishing a task with little or no conscious awareness
Much of our life involves non-conscious mental activity (both perception and memory)
Automatic, non-deliberate, not self-monitored

-behaviours that we do sometimes become automatic where we become sort of amnesic to certain parts (you remember waking up and getting ready, but you can't remember how you got to work—you drove automatically)
-this is generally not extreme for most people
-somewhere between 10 and 1% would be the prevalence rate for dissociative disorder
-characterized by absorption—you get so engrossed in a film that you lose track of time, what's happening around you, and your sense of self as you get involved in the story
-people who are high in absorption are also highly hypnotizable
-"openness to experiencing" on the Big 5 is high in people with high absorption

That happens to me while running occasionally. I'll just be off thinking about something else then it's "how far have I gone" to "FÜCK I MISSED MY TURN" and end up running 10 instead of 8 but this only happens on runs that I have longer routes for. For instance, one of my 8 mile runs can extend to 10 or 12 miles (I don't like doing out and backs, I have loops all over the place). When I miss a turn because of whatever nonentity just said, I just do the next turn.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 3:00:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 2:58:18 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 3/23/2011 2:49:01 PM, nonentity wrote:
Here is a part of one of my lecture notes from last year:

Automatism
Accomplishing a task with little or no conscious awareness
Much of our life involves non-conscious mental activity (both perception and memory)
Automatic, non-deliberate, not self-monitored

-behaviours that we do sometimes become automatic where we become sort of amnesic to certain parts (you remember waking up and getting ready, but you can't remember how you got to work—you drove automatically)
-this is generally not extreme for most people
-somewhere between 10 and 1% would be the prevalence rate for dissociative disorder
-characterized by absorption—you get so engrossed in a film that you lose track of time, what's happening around you, and your sense of self as you get involved in the story
-people who are high in absorption are also highly hypnotizable
-"openness to experiencing" on the Big 5 is high in people with high absorption

That happens to me while running occasionally. I'll just be off thinking about something else then it's "how far have I gone" to "FÜCK I MISSED MY TURN" and end up running 10 instead of 8 but this only happens on runs that I have longer routes for. For instance, one of my 8 mile runs can extend to 10 or 12 miles (I don't like doing out and backs, I have loops all over the place). When I miss a turn because of whatever nonentity just said, I just do the next turn.

Happens to me while driving (possibly a little more dangerous, lol).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 1:55:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 7:17:50 AM, m93samman wrote:
He did a mind test to make the selections. The particular one he did was he asked everyone to close there eyes and lock there hands together (alternating fingers), and then, while we had our hands closed he painted a picture of a magnet in between our palms, glue being poured over our hands, and some irresistible force that made our two hands just one steel ball. By the end of it, he told us to pull apart, and most of us couldn't, then he "popped our hands like an egg"... they all came undone. My hands really felt like one steel ball. The key, I noticed, is being cooperatively imaginative. He made me dance, which is something I've never done in public.

So, if you are able to imagine it and give hypnosis a fair chance, it works? That makes sense, actually.
m93samman
Posts: 2,685
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 12:38:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/23/2011 2:56:40 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/22/2011 11:54:27 PM, m93samman wrote:
At my dorm building, at what was scheduled to be 9:30, we had a "hypnotist" show up to perform.

So, starting at 9:30 and ending at 11, a lot of stuff happened. I volunteered, along with maybe 20 people. He selected the best 8 or 9 people to "hypnotize", and I was one of them. After the full hour of what it was, I woke up only recalling about 5 minutes of it, (which is what he said before he woke us up), and I was extremely thirsty (which is what he said we would be).

I didn't believe it, but it worked. Further, as he said before the show, those hypnotized will feel extremely refreshed. 20 minutes of hypnosis =~ 8 hours of sleep. It's 12am here (almost), but I feel like it's 9pm.

lol, if that was true, you'd think businesses would be all over that to improve productivity of workers.


It was awesome. I never believed it, but the first hand experience made me more open to these things. It's a science of the mind.

Just thought I'd share. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

My wife went to one (the entire senior class did for their grad party, I missed it because my brother had a seizure that night) and was told that it only works on people who are willing to let it work on them (meaning if you don't believe it, its not going to work).

Though her hypnosis was much more mild than yours. They had things, like "the person next to you smelled really good" (either that, or she was lying because there were pictures online that made it look like she was necking some random guy, lol).

It's a cooperative thing. Your mindset towards it will prevent it from working. If hypnosis was just a joke, why do you think there are sciences behind the human psychology and the mental states that are induced by it?
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 12:41:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/24/2011 12:38:36 PM, m93samman wrote:
At 3/23/2011 2:56:40 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/22/2011 11:54:27 PM, m93samman wrote:
At my dorm building, at what was scheduled to be 9:30, we had a "hypnotist" show up to perform.

So, starting at 9:30 and ending at 11, a lot of stuff happened. I volunteered, along with maybe 20 people. He selected the best 8 or 9 people to "hypnotize", and I was one of them. After the full hour of what it was, I woke up only recalling about 5 minutes of it, (which is what he said before he woke us up), and I was extremely thirsty (which is what he said we would be).

I didn't believe it, but it worked. Further, as he said before the show, those hypnotized will feel extremely refreshed. 20 minutes of hypnosis =~ 8 hours of sleep. It's 12am here (almost), but I feel like it's 9pm.

lol, if that was true, you'd think businesses would be all over that to improve productivity of workers.


It was awesome. I never believed it, but the first hand experience made me more open to these things. It's a science of the mind.

Just thought I'd share. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

My wife went to one (the entire senior class did for their grad party, I missed it because my brother had a seizure that night) and was told that it only works on people who are willing to let it work on them (meaning if you don't believe it, its not going to work).

Though her hypnosis was much more mild than yours. They had things, like "the person next to you smelled really good" (either that, or she was lying because there were pictures online that made it look like she was necking some random guy, lol).

It's a cooperative thing. Your mindset towards it will prevent it from working. If hypnosis was just a joke, why do you think there are sciences behind the human psychology and the mental states that are induced by it?

The same reason there are sciences behind magic tricks, that doesn't make them real. If by simply thinking against hypnosis is enough to prevent it, then it is nothing more than your imagination, you're just pretending that your hands are glued together.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"