Suicide

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 12:18:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Questions:

1. Should bullies who encourage suicide be considered criminals or should they be left free since they didn't expect such reaction? Yes, I am talking about those who aren't fully aware of the consequences of their actions, though they do know that what they're doing is wrong.
2. If I were stuck in a cave and I knew for certain that I'll starve to death, am I permitted to shoot myself or in any other way commit suicide? I am interested to hear Christians on this one.
3. Thoughts on assisted suicide?
4. Anything I missed or is there anything you can tell us for us to ponder?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 12:22:46 PM
At 4/23/2011 12:18:36 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
Questions:

1. Should bullies who encourage suicide be considered criminals or should they be left free since they didn't expect such reaction? Yes, I am talking about those who aren't fully aware of the consequences of their actions, though they do know that what they're doing is wrong.

I think they should be left free unless their bullying is a bit over the top.

2. If I were stuck in a cave and I knew for certain that I'll starve to death, am I permitted to shoot myself or in any other way commit suicide? I am interested to hear Christians on this one.

Yes, I think you are.

Sure, I think it ought to be legal and it's too bad that Ireland has forbidden it :(

Obviously, I can't say :D
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 1:11:31 PM
Questions:

1. Should bullies who encourage suicide be considered criminals or should they be left free since they didn't expect such reaction?
Though many parts of bullying should expose someone to liability, and I have no idea whether the eggshell rule should render those parts of bullying "liability for any suicide that occurs" (It would under the common law, but I'm not sure how good the eggshell rule really is for tort law-- the tortfeasor takes the victim as they find them, but suicide is hardly reasonable mitigation of tort), the mere encouragement of suicide on its own should expose someone to neither criminal nor civil law.

2. If I were stuck in a cave and I knew for certain that I'll starve to death, am I permitted to shoot myself or in any other way commit suicide?
Your life, you are permitted at any time.

If'n you sign the papers without duress, go for it. Without signing papers it raises issues for law enforcement investigation.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 3:55:27 PM
Questions:

Yes, and should be convicted of manslaughter or second-degree murder(depending on the circumstances) for leading somebody to death.

If it's a survival situation then, yes.

Assisted suicide as in euthanasia? Yes. Assisted suicide as in helping somebody kill themselves? No, it's the same as helping somebody else commit a crime.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 4:08:59 PM
At 4/23/2011 3:55:27 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Assisted suicide as in euthanasia? Yes. Assisted suicide as in helping somebody kill themselves? No, it's the same as helping somebody else commit a crime.

Killing yourself is a crime?

ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 4:10:24 PM
At 4/23/2011 4:08:59 PM, nonentity wrote:

Yeah, but what are they going to do to punish you for it?
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 4:19:18 PM
At 4/23/2011 4:10:24 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

In Canada, I'm pretty certain suicide is not a crime. That's why I was asking, because INH is Canadian.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 4:34:28 PM
Questions:

You okay bud?
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 4:50:24 PM
At 4/23/2011 4:19:18 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 4/23/2011 4:10:24 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

In Canada, I'm pretty certain suicide is not a crime. That's why I was asking, because INH is Canadian.

Suicide's a crime in MN.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 4:59:37 PM

No, it isn't. Not anywhere that I can think of at least.

At 4/23/2011 4:50:24 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
Suicide's a crime in MN.

No, it isn't.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 12:56:10 PM
Questions:

It is punishment enough for them to have a death on their hands. But afterwards things should be done to make sure they don't bully other kids again.

If your a Christan, no. God says not to take your own life so you shouldn't commit suicide even if you're going to die anyway.
Don't have strong opinions on that. But if someone wants to commit suicide you should try to talk them out of it not help them. Especially if your a Christian.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 1:18:59 PM
Questions:

No, they should be left alone, regardless of their motives.

If someone kills themselves, that is on them. You can't blame a "bully" for pressuring them to do so.

Seriously, fvck this victim mentality, it is utterly ignorant. There are no bullies, there are only poosies.

Everyone gets made fun of. If you take it seriously, and let it get to you, that is a sign of your OWN mental illness. If you keep getting fun of because of the fact that you respond in a way that calls attention to the fact that you are an overly sensitive baby, it's your own fault. Quit taking yourself so seriously.

When you do eventually learn to stop being a little b!tch, you'll get along better. You have to adapt. If you do not adapt, you are an idiot, and deserve what ever mental turmoil you put your own damn self through.

If you are bullied, it is probably because you have "good" parents who feed your ego, and give you an overinflated sense of worth and self importance. When you get out into that place called the "real world", you aren't prepared to handle the barbarians.

This is coming from someone who was "bullied" through most of his schooling. I used to get into fights every day after school. You can woop all the @ss in the world, but if you can't shrug off a simple insult, you are a poosie. Poosies compensate for the emotional instability and weakness by woopin other people's @sses.

It wasn't until I developed a sense of humor that the "bullying" stopped. The "bullying" didn't really stop, it just became what it really was, teasing among peers.

Course, as if to undo everything I just said, sometimes you do gotta woop some @ss.

Sure, why not?

Could be exploited as a loop-hole out of murder.. It's a real grey area. Red tape would be necessary.

This song. Ponder it.

(Also, I'm not talking to anyone in specific, so if anyone wants to take this personally.. Jump off a bridge, poosie)
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 1:31:58 PM
At 4/24/2011 1:18:59 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Questions:

If someone kills themselves, that is on them. You can't blame a "bully" for pressuring them to do so.

Seriously, fvck this victim mentality, it is utterly ignorant. There are no bullies, there are only poosies.

Everyone gets made fun of. If you take it seriously, and let it get to you, that is a sign of your OWN mental illness. If you keep getting fun of because of the fact that you respond in a way that calls attention to the fact that you are an overly sensitive baby, it's your own fault. Quit taking yourself so seriously.

When you do eventually learn to stop being a little b!tch, you'll get along better. You have to adapt. If you do not adapt, you are an idiot, and deserve what ever mental turmoil you put your own damn self through.

If you are bullied, it is probably because you have "good" parents who feed your ego, and give you an overinflated sense of worth and self importance. When you get out into that place called the "real world", you aren't prepared to handle the barbarians.

This is coming from someone who was "bullied" through most of his schooling. I used to get into fights every day after school. You can woop all the @ss in the world, but if you can't shrug off a simple insult, you are a poosie. Poosies compensate for the emotional instability and weakness by woopin other people's @sses.

It wasn't until I developed a sense of humor that the "bullying" stopped. The "bullying" didn't really stop, it just became what it really was, teasing among peers.

Course, as if to undo everything I just said, sometimes you do gotta woop some @ss.

Yes but not everyone's like you. For some people it would be impossible to take so much criticism. Their mental capability to deal with it might be weak, or maybe they are easily offended and hurt.
It's not entirely the bullies fault but he should feel that he has a life on his hands. By the time the kid got so depressed that he was thinking about suicide the bully/bullies would have had done allot of bullying.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 1:54:17 PM
At 4/24/2011 1:31:58 PM, phantom wrote:
Questions:

Yes but not everyone's like you. For some people it would be impossible to take so much criticism. Their mental capability to deal with it might be weak, or maybe they are easily offended and hurt.
It's not entirely the bullies fault but he should feel that he has a life on his hands. By the time the kid got so depressed that he was thinking about suicide the bully/bullies would have had done allot of bullying.

Well, obviously, their mental capability to deal with it is weak. If they are easily offended and hurt, this is a sign of this. Eventually, they will have to adapt, and quit being poosies.

If the bully feels guilty, that is up to him.

Personally, If I tell you to go shoot yourself in the head, and you go do it, I'm not going to break a sweat. My conscience is clear. You had it coming, and you can't blame me for your own weakness.

If someone killed themselves, wrote this big long note to try to make me feel guilty about it, I'd wipe my @ss with it, and then shake my head in pity. Why should I feel guilty for someone elses mental illness? Fvck them, they deserve their misery.

I have sympathy for the depressed, but as long as they persist in their delusion that their happiness is contingent on external forces, I say that their depression is a result of their own stupidity, and they have it coming. Eventually, they will have to get smart.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 2:05:52 PM
At 4/24/2011 1:54:17 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 4/24/2011 1:31:58 PM, phantom wrote:
Questions:

Well, obviously, their mental capability to deal with it is weak. If they are easily offended and hurt, this is a sign of this. Eventually, they will have to adapt, and quit being poosies.

If the bully feels guilty, that is up to him.

Personally, If I tell you to go shoot yourself in the head, and you go do it, I'm not going to break a sweat. My conscience is clear. You had it coming, and you can't blame me for your own weakness.

If someone killed themselves, wrote this big long note to try to make me feel guilty about it, I'd wipe my @ss with it, and then shake my head in pity. Why should I feel guilty for someone elses mental illness? Fvck them, they deserve their misery.

I have sympathy for the depressed, but as long as they persist in their delusion that their happiness is contingent on external forces, I say that their depression is a result of their own stupidity, and they have it coming. Eventually, they will have to get smart.

Okay then, it's both their faults. But you can't take all the blame off the bully just because the kids mental strength is weak. One of the reasons he is getting bullied is likely because he is weak. Some people don't have the strength to persist and try to get out of being bullied. They're made that way they can't help it.
What the bully is doing is wrong and he knows it. Also bullies are aware that kids have been bullied to the brink of suicide. They know what it can lead too.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/24/2011 2:21:10 PM
At 4/23/2011 4:34:28 PM, innomen wrote:
Questions:

You okay bud?

This question has been troubling me lately and its nice to bring up a topic that is seldom discussed even if for a good reason.
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 12:37:26 AM
At 4/23/2011 4:59:37 PM, Korashk wrote:

No, it isn't. Not anywhere that I can think of at least.

At 4/23/2011 4:50:24 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
Suicide's a crime in MN.

No, it isn't.

It's still technically a "Common Law Crime"
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 12:44:42 AM
How do you punish someone if they're dead? If they fail, do they go to jail for attempted murder? Because that's just ridic lol
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 12:56:08 AM
At 4/25/2011 12:44:42 AM, nonentity wrote:
How do you punish someone if they're dead? If they fail, do they go to jail for attempted murder? Because that's just ridic lol

You don't...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 1:25:32 AM
At 4/24/2011 2:05:52 PM, phantom wrote:

Okay then, it's both their faults. But you can't take all the blame off the bully just because the kids mental strength is weak. One of the reasons he is getting bullied is likely because he is weak. Some people don't have the strength to persist and try to get out of being bullied. They're made that way they can't help it.
What the bully is doing is wrong and he knows it. Also bullies are aware that kids have been bullied to the brink of suicide. They know what it can lead too.

That's all fantastic and all, but should a "bully" stand trial because some chump decided to kill themselves under pressure from this "bully"?

I'd tell anyone who is for such a thing to fvck off, and go drown themselves.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 9:50:28 AM
Questions:

Hmmm, well I think if they encourage someone to kill themselves they should be punished, but if they're just total jerks, they shouldn't be punished with actual crimes...

Well, if you have absolutely no choice but starvation or suicide, I guess I can't demonize it, but I would hang on for hope for a little while

WRONG, wrong wrong wrong WRONG

UNLESS you're terminally ill, and there is ZERO hope of a cure

I am strongly against suicide. So many of my friends know people who have ended it, and I've seen what it does to people... and then they forget about it. I think the forgetting is worse, because some people do it for the attention, like "look at me now!" but then they're gone and forgotten.... it's just a dumb thing to do.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 11:02:48 AM
At 4/25/2011 9:50:28 AM, devinni01841 wrote:

Why?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
twsurber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 2:26:28 PM

Virginia (my home state) goes by Common Law, thus the title Commonwealth. If a person is unsuccessful at suicide they can be charged with attempted murder.

I once heard a sermon regarding suicide. The pastor stated that it was indeed wrong. More curiously though, he stated that suicide did not change a person's salvation. If they were saved at the time they would still go to heaven. If they were not saved, they would have no additional opportunity and would therefore be condemned ultimately to the Lake of Fire.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 3:08:42 PM
At 4/25/2011 2:26:28 PM, twsurber wrote:

Virginia (my home state) goes by Common Law, thus the title Commonwealth. If a person is unsuccessful at suicide they can be charged with attempted murder.

I once heard a sermon regarding suicide. The pastor stated that it was indeed wrong. More curiously though, he stated that suicide did not change a person's salvation. If they were saved at the time they would still go to heaven. If they were not saved, they would have no additional opportunity and would therefore be condemned ultimately to the Lake of Fire.

Why did you find that surprising?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 9:00:43 PM
At 4/25/2011 1:25:32 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 4/24/2011 2:05:52 PM, phantom wrote:

That's all fantastic and all, but should a "bully" stand trial because some chump decided to kill themselves under pressure from this "bully"?

I'd tell anyone who is for such a thing to fvck off, and go drown themselves.

No I'm not saying they should stand trial I'm just saying they're not innocent.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 9:03:53 PM
At 4/25/2011 2:26:28 PM, twsurber wrote:

I once heard a sermon regarding suicide. The pastor stated that it was indeed wrong.
Yes God says it is not for a man to take his own life.

More curiously though, he stated that suicide did not change a person's salvation. If they were saved at the time they would still go to heaven. If they were not saved, they would have no additional opportunity and would therefore be condemned ultimately to the Lake of Fire.

Why do you find that curious? Why would someone go to hell just because you killed yourself?
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 10:27:11 AM
At 4/25/2011 11:02:48 AM, Korashk wrote:

Why?

Because giving up hope is worse than any other crime I can think of....
I fyou're terminally ill, and you have, say only a couple months to live, and there is no viable cure or treatment, I would not necesarily excuse it, but at least it's not like they had a whole life ahead of them
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 10:55:28 AM
Questions:

Depends on the degree of the bullying.

Yes, though I'd recomend dehydrating yourself for a few days then chugging down salt water.

In certain cases only, where death is deemed inevitable by a medical professional.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 10:57:47 AM

That's what nearly all assisted suicide is.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"