Total Posts:90|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Become a christian

Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 1:32:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have, over the last few weeks, decided to accept Jesus as my saviour. For a while I have accepted that a theistic God is more probable than not, but I felt I couldn't make the leap without proper evidence. I have since been convinced of the value of faith. This isn't on the religious forum because I'm not really interested in debating it right now (sorry).
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 2:00:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Christian can mean just about anything. Hah.

If you are going to be a Christian, I would give you one piece of advice...

Don't listen to preachers. Read the New Testament, and read it a lot. Study it.

Use your head, draw your own conclusions. Most churches have matters of doctrine all screwed up. Remember that "The letter of the law killeth, but the spirit of the law giveth life"
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 2:19:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 1:34:57 PM, nonentity wrote:
Any particular reason why? Just out of curiosity. To be honest, I'd love to believe in God. I just can't intellectually :/

Yea, I'm in a similar situation. If I could, I would convert to a religion in seconds.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,311
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 2:22:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 1:32:22 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I have, over the last few weeks, decided to accept Jesus as my saviour. For a while I have accepted that a theistic God is more probable than not, but I felt I couldn't make the leap without proper evidence. I have since been convinced of the value of faith. This isn't on the religious forum because I'm not really interested in debating it right now (sorry).

If it makes you feel any better, there are a lot of non- denominational Christians out there.
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 2:27:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 1:32:22 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I have, over the last few weeks, decided to accept Jesus as my saviour.

Best Preacher Ever (gives great insights essential for a Christian):

For a while I have accepted that a theistic God is more probable than not, but I :felt I couldn't make the leap without proper evidence.

When you're willing to debate just challenge me.

I have since been convinced of the value of faith. This isn't on the religious forum :because I'm not really interested in debating it right now (sorry).
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 2:28:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've really gone the other way, I'm a deist on the grounds that I don't believe that people of other Abrahamic religions are sent to hell.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 2:28:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 2:00:26 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Christian can mean just about anything. Hah.

If you are going to be a Christian, I would give you one piece of advice...

Don't listen to preachers. Read the New Testament, and read it a lot. Study it.

Use your head, draw your own conclusions. Most churches have matters of doctrine all screwed up. Remember that "The letter of the law killeth, but the spirit of the law giveth life"

If you have a lot of free time and I mean a lot but yeah don't depend on preachers.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 2:34:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 2:28:27 PM, askbob wrote:
I've really gone the other way, I'm a deist on the grounds that I don't believe that people of other Abrahamic religions are sent to hell.

I think that's quite a common view actually.
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 5:35:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 2:00:26 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Christian can mean just about anything. Hah.

If you are going to be a Christian, I would give you one piece of advice...

Don't listen to preachers. Read the New Testament, and read it a lot. Study it.

Use your head, draw your own conclusions. Most churches have matters of doctrine all screwed up. Remember that "The letter of the law killeth, but the spirit of the law giveth life"

This.

I'm really proud of your decision, man! It's great to have another brother in Christ on this site! If you have any questions about anything pertaining to Christianity feel free to ask me!
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 6:14:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Making the leap to Theism is understandable to me, but making the leap to Christ for me given the amount of evidence against it I don't understand. Why Christ over another prophet of a major religion?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 6:24:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 6:14:57 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Making the leap to Theism is understandable to me, but making the leap to Christ for me given the amount of evidence against it I don't understand. Why Christ over another prophet of a major religion?

welp really the only competition is islam. And mohammed screwing young children turns some people off.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 6:33:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 6:24:50 PM, askbob wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:14:57 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Making the leap to Theism is understandable to me, but making the leap to Christ for me given the amount of evidence against it I don't understand. Why Christ over another prophet of a major religion?

welp really the only competition is islam. And mohammed screwing young children turns some people off.

Yeah, this guy is totally obscure. http://en.wikipedia.org...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 6:38:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 1:32:22 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I have, over the last few weeks, decided to accept Jesus as my saviour. For a while I have accepted that a theistic God is more probable than not, but I felt I couldn't make the leap without proper evidence. I have since been convinced of the value of faith. This isn't on the religious forum because I'm not really interested in debating it right now (sorry).

you feel safe while you have it? the thing is, how did you get it? hardly by figuring out you'd feel safe/good if you were to have it...? you'd only have been contemplating deluding yourself at that stage, logically.. how'd you get it!? faith = confident belief.. needs backing? however? i'd like the hear whatever if you're not joking..

though you're probably joking? i'm now a muslim?
signature
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 6:45:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 1:32:22 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I have, over the last few weeks, decided to accept Jesus as my saviour. For a while I have accepted that a theistic God is more probable than not, but I felt I couldn't make the leap without proper evidence. I have since been convinced of the value of faith.

Ok, I can understand the switch to Theism, but why did you pick Christianity to be more probable than all the other Theistic religions like Islam, Baha'i, Hinduism, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, or Sikhism.

It makes NO sense to choose Christianity over all the others!

Can someone tell me why all Atheist converts choose Christianity?!
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 6:48:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 6:45:41 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/14/2011 1:32:22 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
I have, over the last few weeks, decided to accept Jesus as my saviour. For a while I have accepted that a theistic God is more probable than not, but I felt I couldn't make the leap without proper evidence. I have since been convinced of the value of faith.

Ok, I can understand the switch to Theism, but why did you pick Christianity to be more probable than all the other Theistic religions like Islam, Baha'i, Hinduism, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, or Sikhism.

It makes NO sense to choose Christianity over all the others!

Can someone tell me why all Atheist converts choose Christianity?!

there's "sanity" in numbers? :)
signature
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 7:23:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 6:24:50 PM, askbob wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:14:57 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Making the leap to Theism is understandable to me, but making the leap to Christ for me given the amount of evidence against it I don't understand. Why Christ over another prophet of a major religion?

welp really the only competition is islam. And mohammed screwing young children turns some people off.

*inb4 Mirza*
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 7:28:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 6:33:18 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:24:50 PM, askbob wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:14:57 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Making the leap to Theism is understandable to me, but making the leap to Christ for me given the amount of evidence against it I don't understand. Why Christ over another prophet of a major religion?

welp really the only competition is islam. And mohammed screwing young children turns some people off.

Yeah, this guy is totally obscure. http://en.wikipedia.org...

That's a philosophy, not a religion.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
jharry
Posts: 4,984
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 7:34:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 1:34:57 PM, nonentity wrote:
Any particular reason why? Just out of curiosity. To be honest, I'd love to believe in God. I just can't intellectually :/

Why would you love to believe in God. I guess it sounds funny to someone that always has I dunno. Not starting a debate or anything, just extremely curious. Thanks.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 7:38:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 6:33:18 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:24:50 PM, askbob wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:14:57 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Making the leap to Theism is understandable to me, but making the leap to Christ for me given the amount of evidence against it I don't understand. Why Christ over another prophet of a major religion?

welp really the only competition is islam. And mohammed screwing young children turns some people off.

Yeah, this guy is totally obscure. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Thaddeus is looking for a THEISTIC religion. Buddhism is Atheistic and the Buddha was an Atheist. So yes, Mohammed is one of the few Theistic central figures along with Baha'u'llah (of Baha'i), Moses, and Zoroaster.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 8:56:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 7:28:15 PM, askbob wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:33:18 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:24:50 PM, askbob wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:14:57 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Making the leap to Theism is understandable to me, but making the leap to Christ for me given the amount of evidence against it I don't understand. Why Christ over another prophet of a major religion?

welp really the only competition is islam. And mohammed screwing young children turns some people off.

Yeah, this guy is totally obscure. http://en.wikipedia.org...

That's a philosophy, not a religion.

*"YOU'RE WRONG" buzzer*

To many, it is. Not to fulfill any stereotype, but my mom would definitely quibble with you over your whole "Buddhism is not a religion" bit
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 8:57:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 8:56:08 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 5/14/2011 7:28:15 PM, askbob wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:33:18 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:24:50 PM, askbob wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:14:57 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Making the leap to Theism is understandable to me, but making the leap to Christ for me given the amount of evidence against it I don't understand. Why Christ over another prophet of a major religion?

welp really the only competition is islam. And mohammed screwing young children turns some people off.

Yeah, this guy is totally obscure. http://en.wikipedia.org...

That's a philosophy, not a religion.

*"YOU'RE WRONG" buzzer*

To many, it is. Not to fulfill any stereotype, but my mom would definitely quibble with you over your whole "Buddhism is not a religion" bit

She would quibble, and lose.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 9:18:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 8:57:47 PM, askbob wrote:
At 5/14/2011 8:56:08 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 5/14/2011 7:28:15 PM, askbob wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:33:18 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:24:50 PM, askbob wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:14:57 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Making the leap to Theism is understandable to me, but making the leap to Christ for me given the amount of evidence against it I don't understand. Why Christ over another prophet of a major religion?

welp really the only competition is islam. And mohammed screwing young children turns some people off.

Yeah, this guy is totally obscure. http://en.wikipedia.org...

That's a philosophy, not a religion.

*"YOU'RE WRONG" buzzer*

To many, it is. Not to fulfill any stereotype, but my mom would definitely quibble with you over your whole "Buddhism is not a religion" bit

She would quibble, and lose.

Justification?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 9:20:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 9:18:35 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 5/14/2011 8:57:47 PM, askbob wrote:
At 5/14/2011 8:56:08 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 5/14/2011 7:28:15 PM, askbob wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:33:18 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:24:50 PM, askbob wrote:
At 5/14/2011 6:14:57 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Making the leap to Theism is understandable to me, but making the leap to Christ for me given the amount of evidence against it I don't understand. Why Christ over another prophet of a major religion?

welp really the only competition is islam. And mohammed screwing young children turns some people off.

Yeah, this guy is totally obscure. http://en.wikipedia.org...

That's a philosophy, not a religion.

*"YOU'RE WRONG" buzzer*

To many, it is. Not to fulfill any stereotype, but my mom would definitely quibble with you over your whole "Buddhism is not a religion" bit

She would quibble, and lose.

Justification?

a religion is something stupid? :)
signature
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 9:22:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 8:56:08 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 5/14/2011 7:28:15 PM, askbob wrote:
That's a philosophy, not a religion.

*"YOU'RE WRONG" buzzer*

To many, it is. Not to fulfill any stereotype, but my mom would definitely quibble with you over your whole "Buddhism is not a religion" bit

Buddhism is both a philosophy and a religion. The Buddha himself was merely a philosopher, however, many followers have turned it into a religion and thus there are those who follow it religiously and those who subscribe to the philosophy of Buddhism.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 9:23:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 9:20:16 PM, badger wrote:
a religion is something stupid? :)

My mind now just got flooded with "Yo mama so stupid..." jokes.

Anyway, askbob is a Christian. I'm asking him why he thinks Buddhism is not a religion.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2011 9:25:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/14/2011 9:22:37 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/14/2011 8:56:08 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 5/14/2011 7:28:15 PM, askbob wrote:
That's a philosophy, not a religion.

*"YOU'RE WRONG" buzzer*

To many, it is. Not to fulfill any stereotype, but my mom would definitely quibble with you over your whole "Buddhism is not a religion" bit

Buddhism is both a philosophy and a religion. The Buddha himself was merely a philosopher, however, many followers have turned it into a religion and thus there are those who follow it religiously and those who subscribe to the philosophy of Buddhism.

This. He didn't proclaim himself to be a god-figure. He simply had a philosophy on how to live life.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos