Suicide

Phoenix_Reaper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 8:18:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Very touchy topic so I must post it.

Has anyone ever been suicidal at some point?

Any reason why?

Have you had someone close commit suicide?

How did you react?

Is suicide a appropriate response for a tough division in your life or someone else?

Should the government intervene on a persons choice to commit suicide?

Unless you are connected to the person in some way should we care about their choice?
Phoenix Reaper - To rise from the ashes of defeat and claim your soul.

: At 3/15/2011 4:23:07 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
: Taste is for pussïes. Be a nihilist. Drink vodka.
Phoenix_Reaper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 8:20:36 AM
Wouldn't be fair if I didn't answer.

At 5/17/2011 8:18:45 AM, Phoenix_Reaper wrote:

Yes

Any reason why?

Stupidity of being youn

Yes

How did you react?

Laughed and moved on

Is suicide a appropriate response for a tough division in your life or someone else?

In the moment yes, overall no.

The government should not intervene on any persons choice to do anything to his or her self.

Unless you are connected to the person in some way should we care about their choice?

Absolutely not. Their life and I have no investment in theirs.

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 8:25:38 AM
At 5/17/2011 8:20:36 AM, Phoenix_Reaper wrote:

Yes

How did you react?

Laughed and moved on

o_O
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 8:29:12 AM
At risk of hurting feelings, I feel suicide ultimately shows some sort of fundamental weakness of character. Depression is a scary mental illness. I have feel suicidal many times in my life, but have never been near the point of depression where I started to plan or get close to attempting it.

A lot of people get to the point where they don't want to go on, but enduring is so important as a way to build strength. If you want to opt out, I say you should be able to. Perhaps you should have to go through a process of saying goodbye to your family and loved ones before you can do it, to see if you really want to die that much.

People who kill themselves in public or in a way where their family will find them are disgusting. If I were going to kill myself, I would buy a gun, walk into a hospital, go into an empty lift and shoot myself in the head between floors.

Ultimately, for me, it comes down to this: Anyone can get depressed, but not everyone can get past it. Many people who has caring loved ones around them kill themselves. Why do they do it? Surely they can't all have some dark secret, surely some people have good lives and just kill themselves. That is such a waste of life.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 8:30:04 AM
At 5/17/2011 8:25:38 AM, nonentity wrote:

Yes

How did you react?

Laughed and moved on

o_O

By close he meant "mortal enemy"
Phoenix_Reaper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 8:32:22 AM
At 5/17/2011 8:30:04 AM, Thaddeus wrote:

Yes

How did you react?

Laughed and moved on

o_O

Na I meant close as in friend on family. Laughing is a form of coping for me. Hell a lot better to laugh than ball m eyes out.

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 8:41:49 AM

For me, this is the most interesting question. I don't see death as such a bad thing as most people. The thought of dying tomorrow literally doesn't scare me. And I find it interesting that people fight for the right to life, but deny the right to die. In terms of government intervention, I think it's only necessary when the person fails suicide, because there are underlying mental health issues that, once resolved, may lead the person to a more fulfilling and productive life, rather than going in and out of the emergency room.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 9:04:07 AM

Has anyone ever been suicidal at some point?:

No.

Have you had someone close commit suicide?:

Multiple times.

How did you react?:

I danced around the room in glee...

WTF kind of question is that?

Is suicide a appropriate response for a tough division in your life or someone else?:

9/10 no... But that's not my decision. Extreme, terminal illness is an exception.

Should the government intervene on a persons choice to commit suicide?:

They have a legal reason to intervene borne out of a sense of some ethical obligation. So the obligatory response is to try and help people in crisis. When I was in the Coast Guard, we had to respond to jumpers. Most of the time they jumped. We were really there for body recovery. We had no authority to try and talk them out of it.

Unless you are connected to the person in some way should we care about their choice?:

As a human being, I would talk to them and attempt to counsel them. Ultimately it's their choice, but the rationale is that these people are in so much distress that they can't think rationally. Some people think you're therefore obligated to stop them from making their own choices.

I don't make judgment calls like that. I'd really have to be in the situation.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 11:49:29 AM
At 5/17/2011 8:32:22 AM, Phoenix_Reaper wrote:

Yes

How did you react?

Laughed and moved on

o_O

Na I meant close as in friend on family. Laughing is a form of coping for me. Hell a lot better to laugh than ball m eyes out.

I could do a short 2 round debate on this if you want.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 11:54:30 AM

Any reason why?

No

How did you react?

No

Yes
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 12:07:28 PM
Yes, not anymore.

In my High School we had a string of like 6-7 suicides before I graduated, it was all over the news. I haven't had anyone who I was close-close to, but definitely people I had talked to and had been in my classes.

How did you react?
I didn't know most of the kids who killed themselves while I was in HS, but as mentioned before I did directly know one of them. Life just went on. The girls cried, the boys didn't show much.

It can be, but it usually is not. It can be one last act of control before your life goes in a very unfortunate direction.

See P_L.

Yes, but this is easier said than done.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 12:19:29 PM

Yes

Any reason why?

Financial

Yes

How did you react?

I cope by helping other's cope. Of the three times it has happened, I wasn't the closest person, and so understand that others (who were closer) are hurting more than me, and by helping them, I help my self.

The worst was my brother-in-law's best friend committed suicide (we don't know why, but blame the drugs he was taking). My brother-in-law didn't know how to cope, so decided to try to commit suicide as well. He had to spend 3 months in a mental facility trying to get everything together.

Most of the time, no. Really, unless it is a suicide because one is terminally ill and the quality of life is non-existant.

Yes.

"should," not really. You can choose to care or to not care, but as to "should" it shouldn't go either way.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 12:36:28 PM

Okay.

Well seeing as how every year there are some amounts of suicide in every state, and in most, if not all countries, then I would say, its safe to assume, yes someone has been suicidal at some point.

Any reason why?

Well during the holocaust jews sometimes would kill themselves so they wouldn't be tortured anymore. I think the same reasoning goes for most people that kill themselves. Physical, mental, emotional, etc torture that they cannot endure any longer, to the point where they lose sight of the very real possibility that it can and will get better.

No, but some of the people I am close to have been close to suicide.

How did you react?

Talk them out of it. Calm them down, make them happy again, give them someone they can talk to.

Depends on what you mean. If you have a terminal illness, then yes I do feel that it would be appropriate to gather your loved ones around, say good bye, get everything you want to say said, and be able to die on your own terms surrounded by people that love you, rather than to just suddenly stop breathing in a hospital room, all by yourself, after months/years of pain and suffering.
If you mean that your boyfriend just dumped you, hell no.
If you mean that you failed a test and now people will be disappointed in you, hell no.
If you mean that your best friend died and its making you really depressed, hell no.

No. People have the right to life, they also have the right to death. Just as you have the freedom of speech, and the right to remain silent.

Should is a broad word. I prefer talking with people and get them through the tough times so they don't feel the need to kill themselves, unless their a slutty bitch then I wish they would just hurry up and die already (only 2 people I know that could be on the brink of suicide that I would be standing their saying "do it, do it, do it!", other than that, I would try to help others not feel depressed).
Now do I think everyone should make the same choice I do to help others?
I don't think they should be obligated to, but I have higher respect for people that do, and I think that the world would be a better place if more people tried to help.
Ultimately, its a personal choice, whether to help others, or to kill yourself.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Phoenix_Reaper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 3:14:14 PM
At 5/17/2011 11:49:29 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 5/17/2011 8:32:22 AM, Phoenix_Reaper wrote:

Yes

How did you react?

Laughed and moved on

o_O

I could do a short 2 round debate on this if you want.

Challenge away,

headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 4:55:47 PM

no

Any reason why?

nope

yes
How did you react?

I was invited to the funeral but declined to go however I did send a message saying I approved of it

no

no
no
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
Kinger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 2:40:37 PM
I have. A few times.
Any reason why?
General loneliness. Even now I still don't have any friends. I have a hard time socializing, and that makes me feel alone. Although, I have been getting better
My uncle did when I was 8.
How did you react?
At the time, I thought he had died in a car crash - my parents never told me that, I just made it up. It was only last year I learned how he really died. I cried a little and apologized to my mom for me putting her through my suicide scares.
It can be. My uncle killed himself because he had just been through a divorce, and lost his job. I'm sure for him it looked like nothing good was ever gonna happen and that his life was over. I wish he hadn't killed himself, but I understand why.
No. It's my right if I want to end my life.
We should explore why they did. Sometimes people commit suicide due to abuse from others, or mistreatment. We should figure out why the person ended their life.
The post above this is false.
Phoenix_Reaper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 4:28:54 PM
At 5/18/2011 2:40:37 PM, Kinger wrote:

Your post + you sig made me Lol... sorry.

nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 6:52:03 PM

Nice...

Yes I believe every one is or has been in that state f suicidal..
Any reason why?

Too much horrible things happen.... :(

Some one I know died of heart failure?...
other than that no
How did you react?

I went to the funeral, but didn't even have any courage to go and say my prayers for him. I went back to the car and cried....

I have know idea....

I am 50/50 on this.
Yes everyone is worth no matter if they are a criminal or not....
I believe everyone deserves a second chance in life.
PhantomLemon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 8:23:38 AM

Any reason why?

How did you react?

In my younger days I would taunt myself with the thought when I felt at my worst. I was too positive to ever ACTUALLY think about doing it before. And yes, my older cousin has committed suicide. He survived through his parents going through an awful divorce at a young age, and had always been tortured with undiagnosed severe mental disorders. At such an incredibly young age he smoked packs and packs a day, drank himself until he couldn't speak, and had an awful amount of unprotected sex. In the midst of this he got kicked out of high school, and was notorious for abusing his little brother. It first started with cutting his own wrists. He almost succeeded, but my uncle (his father) came in right before he passed out in his own endless pool of blood. After the hospital, he put on a happy face and we all believed it was genuine. How stupid we all were. My uncle and my other cousin (his little brother) were driving home from the movies and parked in the garage. They saw something in the distance. My uncle slowly went forward, trying to deny his worst fears. He flicked on the lights. There, in the corner, was his son. He was limp and ice-cold, dangling lifeless from the noose. My uncle had to carry him down, all the while his little brother was screaming. It was hard to believe that just an hour before my cousin's face was blessed with his beautiful smile, and he had sent his dad a text simply saying the words "I love you dad". My cousin sounds like an awful person, but despite his behavior, he was an undeniable genius and one of the most loving people I have ever met. He played the guitar beautifully, had a passion for art and photography, and wanted to settle down someday. The moment he tightened the noose his dreams were crushed, as well as his neck. When I heard of the news, I broke down crying for a week straight. Suicide is NOT an appropriate response. If he had received the proper treatment he would be strumming melodies on his guitar this day. He did it because he felt that it was his only option and that his pain could only end by leaving this world, How wrong he was. All the pain he felt was inflicted onto all of us who had heard his funny stories, listened to his caring advice, and had our hearts touched by his sincerely kind words. I don't think government should intervene on someones choice to do this, because they most likely will not listen to a strangers voice. I'm not going to say you should care about the ending to my story. You don't know me- I'm new here. Maybe a few of you could read this and in the future save a life. I hope that could have been done for my cousin. RIP.....
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 9:11:10 AM
At 5/29/2011 8:23:38 AM, PhantomLemon wrote:

Any reason why?

How did you react?

In my younger days I would taunt myself with the thought when I felt at my worst. I was too positive to ever ACTUALLY think about doing it before. And yes, my older cousin has committed suicide. He survived through his parents going through an awful divorce at a young age, and had always been tortured with undiagnosed severe mental disorders. At such an incredibly young age he smoked packs and packs a day, drank himself until he couldn't speak, and had an awful amount of unprotected sex. In the midst of this he got kicked out of high school, and was notorious for abusing his little brother. It first started with cutting his own wrists. He almost succeeded, but my uncle (his father) came in right before he passed out in his own endless pool of blood. After the hospital, he put on a happy face and we all believed it was genuine. How stupid we all were. My uncle and my other cousin (his little brother) were driving home from the movies and parked in the garage. They saw something in the distance. My uncle slowly went forward, trying to deny his worst fears. He flicked on the lights. There, in the corner, was his son. He was limp and ice-cold, dangling lifeless from the noose. My uncle had to carry him down, all the while his little brother was screaming. It was hard to believe that just an hour before my cousin's face was blessed with his beautiful smile, and he had sent his dad a text simply saying the words "I love you dad". My cousin sounds like an awful person, but despite his behavior, he was an undeniable genius and one of the most loving people I have ever met. He played the guitar beautifully, had a passion for art and photography, and wanted to settle down someday. The moment he tightened the noose his dreams were crushed, as well as his neck. When I heard of the news, I broke down crying for a week straight. Suicide is NOT an appropriate response. If he had received the proper treatment he would be strumming melodies on his guitar this day. He did it because he felt that it was his only option and that his pain could only end by leaving this world, How wrong he was. All the pain he felt was inflicted onto all of us who had heard his funny stories, listened to his caring advice, and had our hearts touched by his sincerely kind words. I don't think government should intervene on someones choice to do this, because they most likely will not listen to a strangers voice. I'm not going to say you should care about the ending to my story. You don't know me- I'm new here. Maybe a few of you could read this and in the future save a life. I hope that could have been done for my cousin. RIP.....

I feel sorry for your loss :(
PhantomLemon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 5:10:16 PM
At 5/29/2011 9:11:10 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 5/29/2011 8:23:38 AM, PhantomLemon wrote:

Any reason why?

How did you react?

I feel sorry for your loss :(

thanks i appreciate that :)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 9:45:58 PM
Touching story Phantom
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
kohai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 9:57:39 PM

Yes. Still am.

Any reason why?
Bonds of religion were too string

No! (thankfully)

How did you react?
Na

I believe suicide is morally nuetral. It occurs when a circumstance is too much to Carry

Should the government intervene on a persons choice to commit suicide
No. It is their choice

no.
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 4:14:39 AM
I was on the very edge of suicide several times in my life.
Not entirely sure what my reasons were the first time.
Later on, it was because I had just lost my faith and felt void of purpose.

Throughout my life I've had a particularly peculiar emotional ride. I've had days where I had actually decided to commit suicide and fate intervened. I am currently living in a state of difficult to explain ecstasy with spontaneous spats of mental break-downs that aren't necessarily of a depressing nature.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 4:24:07 AM

Yes.

Any reason why?

There was a reason, yeah.

Not per se. But in the sense of basically signing one's own death warrant, yeah.

How did you react?

I accepted her decision.

"Appropriate" is dependent on the agent.

No.

No one can say whether we "should" or "shouldn't" care. Either one does care, or one doesn't.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 4:34:39 AM

Nope.

Any reason why?

N/A

Nope.

How did you react?

N/A

I would consider suicide a rational response only in incredibly bleak and horrible situations with no hope of recovery. Say, when one has a fatal, irreversible mentally degenerative disease.

Sure, sometimes. Some people are suicidal at some point in their life but realise later that they would've missed out on a great deal if they had. I think preventing people doing stupid things (even by force) is sometimes acceptable.

We're in a better position to help people close to us. I think it's practical for people who know the person in question or who are specially trained to help suicidal people should be the ones to help.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 4:37:25 AM
At 5/30/2011 4:34:39 AM, Kinesis wrote:

Sure, sometimes. Some people are suicidal at some point in their life but realise later that they would've missed out on a great deal if they had. I think preventing people doing stupid things (even by force) is sometimes acceptable.

inb4 my libertarian buddies see this and get on your case.

Curiously, though, what justifies the intervention? What's the principle governing whether a case is acceptable to intervene in?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 4:49:36 AM
At 5/30/2011 4:37:25 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Curiously, though, what justifies the intervention? What's the principle governing whether a case is acceptable to intervene in?

Empathy. Wanting that person to experience happiness.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 4:54:00 AM
At 5/30/2011 4:49:36 AM, FREEDO wrote:

So, as long as it makes you feel better about "helping" someone, it's fine to use the state as a vehicle for your personal ends? Morally, I can't object. Politically, it's kind of a bad joke.

If I falsely suspect my girlfriend of cheating on me, and I break up with her, it's clearly a stupid decision, and would probably be happier with her. Are you going to get the state to force me to stay with her, and maybe keep heavy surveillance on her personal life to assuage my paranoia? :P
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 4:58:16 AM
At 5/30/2011 4:54:00 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 5/30/2011 4:49:36 AM, FREEDO wrote:

So, as long as it makes you feel better about "helping" someone, it's fine to use the state as a vehicle for your personal ends? Morally, I can't object. Politically, it's kind of a bad joke.

What if living in a empathetically inclined society is in everyone's best interest?

If I falsely suspect my girlfriend of cheating on me, and I break up with her, it's clearly a stupid decision, and would probably be happier with her. Are you going to get the state to force me to stay with her, and maybe keep heavy surveillance on her personal life to assuage my paranoia? :P

We're talking about whether someone is alive.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord