Me and My Main Man, Ron Paul!

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 4:52:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.debate.org...

Dr. Ron Paul came to Las Vegas today and gave a great speech. Me and three other friends went, one friend got his Revolution Manifesto book signed and I got a photo with him.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 5:01:20 AM
At 5/18/2011 4:52:56 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Dr. Ron Paul came to Las Vegas today and gave a great speech. Me and three other friends went, one friend got his Revolution Manifesto book signed and I got a photo with him.

Lucky you?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 5:06:15 AM
http://www.fox5vegas.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 5:40:20 AM
Btw, the title of this topic is an Ali G reference.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 1:31:49 PM

That doesn't really count as a photo with him, lol.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 1:34:33 PM

I lol'd when I open the link. You're not with him really...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 1:36:50 PM
At 5/18/2011 1:31:49 PM, OreEle wrote:

That doesn't really count as a photo with him, lol.

Lawl.

I must say, seeing him up close, he's quite sturdy and healthy looking for a 75 year old. He's definitely not frail to say the least.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 3:43:51 PM
At 5/18/2011 2:46:55 PM, innomen wrote:
I've been wondering what people think of Rand here. Obviously not the same enthusiasm, but still....

Not nearly as good as Ron. Still the best Senator in the US by far though.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 3:45:41 PM
At 5/18/2011 3:43:51 PM, Nags wrote:
I've been wondering what people think of Rand here. Obviously not the same enthusiasm, but still....

I believe that the future is in his hands if he plays it right and we stay on this unsustainable economic course. Ron's time isn't right this time.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 3:47:08 PM
At 5/18/2011 3:45:41 PM, innomen wrote:

I believe that the future is in his hands if he plays it right and we stay on this unsustainable economic course. Ron's time isn't right this time.

I think Ron has a chance this coming. Rand can certainly make a run in 2016 or 2020 or whenever. But each Paul will have a tough time since they are opposed by the GOP establishment.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 3:47:28 PM
At 5/18/2011 3:47:08 PM, Nags wrote:

I think Ron has a chance this coming election. Rand can certainly make a run in 2016 or 2020 or whenever. But each Paul will have a tough time since they are opposed by the GOP establishment.

Fixed.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 3:48:29 PM

As a Brit I really want Ron to win sooner rather than later to show our politicians over here that there is an alternative to heavy handed statism.
Osiris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 4:08:25 PM
At 5/18/2011 1:34:33 PM, Nags wrote:

I lol'd when I open the link. You're not with him really...

As did I!
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 4:12:30 PM
Ron Paul will never be president, and deep down I think we all know that.

He's in a good position right now. If any other candidate had his fundraising ability, grassroots support, and polling numbers, they would have a real shot. Heck, he may even win the Republican nomination. But there's just no way he'll go all the way.

Right now, the media is in "nice mode." If it ever starts to look like Paul could actually win this thing, they'll switch into attack mode. They'll dig up his old ghost written newsletters, they'll call him crazy for the things he's said about Lincoln and the right of secession, he'll be marginalized for coming out as a voluntaryist and for his belief that government should operate on voluntary user fees, and they'll hammer him for his association with anarchists (Rockwell, Rothbard, Woods, DiLorenzo, The Mises Institute, etc.). Lew Rockwell in particular will probably end up being Ron Paul's Rev. Wright. Unlike Obama, Paul has too much integrity to throw an old friend under the bus.

Frankly, I'm shocked that his anarchist connections haven't been brought up already. He had Tom DiLorenzo testify before Congress, for Christ's sake! It's just a matter of time, really.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 4:18:48 PM
At 5/18/2011 4:12:30 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

He's in a good position right now. If any other candidate had his fundraising ability, grassroots support, and polling numbers, they would have a real shot. Heck, he may even win the Republican nomination. But there's just no way he'll go all the way.

Right now, the media is in "nice mode." If it ever starts to look like Paul could actually win this thing, they'll switch into attack mode. They'll dig up his old ghost written newsletters, they'll call him crazy for the things he's said about Lincoln and the right of secession, he'll be marginalized for coming out as a voluntaryist and for his belief that government should operate on voluntary user fees, and they'll hammer him for his association with anarchists (Rockwell, Rothbard, Woods, DiLorenzo, The Mises Institute, etc.). Lew Rockwell in particular will probably end up being Ron Paul's Rev. Wright. Unlike Obama, Paul has too much integrity to throw an old friend under the bus.

Frankly, I'm shocked that his anarchist connections haven't been brought up already. He had Tom DiLorenzo testify before Congress, for Christ's sake! It's just a matter of time, really.

Do you have any idea how obscure those references are to the average voter? Not saying he would get electable, but the attacks would be far more hyperbolic than all that, they'll go right for anti-semitic, and he won't make it out of the gate. Or that he believes in decriminalizing marijuana; they don't need to go too deep to kill him off as an option.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 4:28:14 PM
At 5/18/2011 4:18:48 PM, innomen wrote:

Do you have any idea how obscure those references are to the average voter?

Do you know how much the average voter knows about black liberation theology? That didn't stop them from making Jeremiah Wright into a huge freaking deal. Lew Rockwell has a history of making very blunt comments about the US, not at all unlike Wright's infamous "America's chickens" quote.

The problem is they don't know much about Austrian economics. They'll hear the word "anarchist," conjure up mental images of angsty teenagers hurling Molotov cocktails through store windows while listening to The Sex Pistols, and totally freak out.

Not saying he would get electable, but the attacks would be far more hyperbolic than all that, they'll go right for anti-semitic, and he won't make it out of the gate. Or that he believes in decriminalizing marijuana; they don't need to go too deep to kill him off as an option.

I really don't think either of those points will be particularly damaging. They tried to corner Rand on the same issues and it fell totally flat. Paul will just say his position on drugs is a state's rights issue and he supports ending foreign aid to all countries as a matter of principle, which ironically will leave Israel in a much stronger position.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 4:46:17 PM

Right now, the media is in "nice mode." If it ever starts to look like Paul could actually win this thing, they'll switch into attack mode. They'll dig up his old ghost written newsletters,

They've already done that and it hasn't slowed his momentum at all.

they'll call him crazy for the things he's said about Lincoln and the right of secession,

The journalists are too stupid to come up with something like that.

he'll be marginalized for coming out as a voluntaryist and for his belief that government should operate on voluntary user fees,

Again, the journalists are too stupid to make the connection between voluntaryism and anarchism.

and they'll hammer him for his association with anarchists (Rockwell, Rothbard, Woods, DiLorenzo, The Mises Institute, etc.).

I'm pretty sure all those guys are referred to as "Libertarians," a lot less scary word. I mean seriously, Rothbard and Mises are not like Rev Wright or Obamas Communist friends. Americans hate Communists more than Anarchists and yet Obama survived.

Lew Rockwell in particular will probably end up being Ron Paul's Rev. Wright. Unlike Obama, Paul has too much integrity to throw an old friend under the bus.

What has Lew Rockwell done? I've seen his website, but I don't know much about him.

Yeah, I don't think Anarchism will scare people like Communism does. Plus, Ron Paul has good defenses to that and say that he's merely a strict Constitutionalist and emphasize the principles of liberty and the founding fathers.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 5:00:58 PM
I don't think the anarchist thing will stick much either, because no one really takes it seriously.

I do think that the entire media establishment, the DNC, GOP hierarchy, LWV etc would go at him full force. He'd only get cover from the Tea Party - and they have such prestige in the country.

I still think that Rand needs to be groomed and learn the game.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 5:03:39 PM
I've been wondering what people think of Rand here. Obviously not the same enthusiasm, but still....:

He's a lot more conservative than his dad is. I definitely like Ron better than Rand.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 5:05:56 PM
At 5/18/2011 5:03:39 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I've been wondering what people think of Rand here. Obviously not the same enthusiasm, but still....:

He's a lot more conservative than his dad is. I definitely like Ron better than Rand.

By conservative you mean? How is he more conservative, do you mean Christian conservative?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 5:07:58 PM
At 5/18/2011 5:05:56 PM, innomen wrote:

By conservative you mean? How is he more conservative, do you mean Christian conservative?:

I should have clarified. I meant more conservative by traditional Republican standards (and by traditional I'm referring to any time after the Barry Goldwater era).
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 5:36:48 PM
At 5/18/2011 5:00:58 PM, innomen wrote:
I don't think the anarchist thing will stick much either, because no one really takes it seriously.

Exactly. I don't think anyone in their right mind would actually believe that a Congressman who has worked for the government for 40 years, is an Anarchist.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 5:38:31 PM

Agreed. Ron Paul is more radical and has that revolutionary spirit that his son doesn't have.

Though, I believe one day, Rand will become as radical as his dad and reach that level. He just needs more years to learn.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 5:46:08 PM
At 5/18/2011 5:38:31 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Agreed. Ron Paul is more radical and has that revolutionary spirit that his son doesn't have.

Though, I believe one day, Rand will become as radical as his dad and reach that level. He just needs more years to learn.

No, not if he remains in Washington.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 6:29:22 PM
At 5/18/2011 5:46:08 PM, innomen wrote:
At 5/18/2011 5:38:31 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

No, not if he remains in Washington.

Ron Paul has been in Washington for 40 years, and it hasn't dampened his spirits.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 7:04:26 PM
Here's footage of his speech.

https://www.youtube.com...
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 7:13:32 PM

Is this guy your gay lover or something, man? All i hear out of you is, "Ron Paul this" or "Ron Paul that" or "Ron Paul flew to outer space and stopped an asteroid from hitting earth." I mean, not that many people even like the guy!
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 7:18:09 PM
At 5/18/2011 7:13:32 PM, Charles0103 wrote:

Is this guy your gay lover or something, man? All i hear out of you is, "Ron Paul this" or "Ron Paul that" or "Ron Paul flew to outer space and stopped an asteroid from hitting earth."

Check through all of my thread-making history and you will see that threads about Ron Paul probably make up about barely 5% of all the threads I ever created. So you have made a false observation and are way off base.

I mean, not that many people even like the guy!

If you haven't noticed, most of my views are largely unpopular and supported by about 1% of the population. Why would it surprise you that I would like someone like Ron Paul? Secondly, a lot of people are beginning to like him and do like him. Thirdly, who gives a flying fvck? I like whoever I want despite what the ignorant masses think to the contrary.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 7:22:29 PM
At 5/18/2011 7:18:09 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/18/2011 7:13:32 PM, Charles0103 wrote:
I mean, not that many people even like the guy!

If you haven't noticed, most of my views are largely unpopular and supported by about 1% of the population. Why would it surprise you that I would like someone like Ron Paul? Secondly, a lot of people are beginning to like him and do like him. Thirdly, who gives a flying fvck? I like whoever I want despite what the ignorant masses think to the contrary.

And yes, I will keep repeatedly ranting about him until he is finally brought to the forefront and his message is made known to all. There are too many thick skulls that don't like freedom and want authoritarianism and they don't even know that they support it, so the message of freedom needs to be drilled into their brain until they get it. And the past three years has made it evident that it works because people are starting to finally wake up.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat