Jump to topic:

Is this a contradiction?

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 11:20:04 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
1. Happiness is the ultimate goal of life.
2. Quality over quantity
3. Drugs that make you happy but shorten your life are bad
.:. No drugs!

Doesn't make sense to me, what about you?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 11:21:28 AM
BTW, I am not a drug addict or such, but I just found this line of reasoning to be incorrect and undeserved of its popularity.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
InquireTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 11:27:37 AM
At 5/19/2011 11:20:04 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
2. Quality over quantity

Well, (1) and (2) are probably false to begin with. Either way, Epicurus, most famous for a similar ethic of pleasure, insisted that pleasure (or in your case happiness) ought to favor duration over intensity. So (2) should read that duration over intensity is prime. While the happiness or pleasure of drugs is intense, the duration is short and tends to result in less happiness and pleasure by consequence.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 11:32:57 AM
That reasoning does suck.

However, I would say that it is better to be happy without drugs. If you need drugs to be happy, you are asking for problems.

Then again, the effects of some psychedelics might propel someone in the right direction if it doesn't turn into a habitual thing. Drug addicts tend to be detached from reality, and are a lot dumber than they think they are. I can only tolerate being around them in short doses.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 11:43:14 AM
At 5/19/2011 11:20:04 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
2. Quality over quantity

Like Inquire said, but #3 is also flawed. Drugs have more effects than just "make you happy" and "shorten life."

Alcohol is a simple drug to look at (though it is legal, that doesn't change the example).

While drunk you may be happy, but you also risk a hangover, which typically are unhappy things, the damage that can come to your body (brain and liver in particular), aswell as the spent money (and any other effects to relationships that may have happened while intoxicated).

You also need to look at the opportunity cost. While I agree, it may be better to live a short and happy life over a long and miserible life. It is possible to have a long and happy life (I've seen it before).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"