Classical music

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 12:16:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Are there other lectures like this?

Incidentally, what is your opinion on it?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 1:32:36 PM
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 4:12:53 PM
I'll speak to this. I watched half of it, but had to run and do some work. The thing about most classical music is, it does take some patience, and the subtleties of it are really lost on our culture. It's ironic because the average piece of contemporary music is typically unchanging in key, tempo, and even volume often; there is really little modulation and it's fairly monotonous in most respects of music theory. The relationship between harmony and melody is basic if not childish in most cases, and the average piece is what? 3 minutes, 3.5 minutes? Probably because you just cannot sustain that sort of monotony. There probably is a lot of good contemporary music that never sees the light of day, and Puck actually introduced me to some very decent stuff.

I have always loved classical music, and my tastes have sort of traveled through all the different genres within the "classical music" category; but I have never lost my love of Mozart and Beethoven, but I also like the Russians and a great deal of baroque and obscure stuff as well.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 5:12:32 PM
At 5/25/2011 4:12:53 PM, innomen wrote:
I'll speak to this. I watched half of it, but had to run and do some work. The thing about most classical music is, it does take some patience, and the subtleties of it are really lost on our culture. It's ironic because the average piece of contemporary music is typically unchanging in key, tempo, and even volume often; there is really little modulation and it's fairly monotonous in most respects of music theory. The relationship between harmony and melody is basic if not childish in most cases, and the average piece is what? 3 minutes, 3.5 minutes? Probably because you just cannot sustain that sort of monotony. There probably is a lot of good contemporary music that never sees the light of day, and Puck actually introduced me to some very decent stuff.
Care to share?

I have always loved classical music, and my tastes have sort of traveled through all the different genres within the "classical music" category; but I have never lost my love of Mozart and Beethoven,
I love those guys, however I try not to be clingy or else I'll miss out on many great artists.
but I also like the Russians and a great deal of baroque and obscure stuff as well.

Insightful post, btw.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 5:49:08 PM
Classical music.. har har...

Believe it or not, contrary to what most people think, classical music can be every bit as banal and insipid as pop music. Really depends on what pop music, and what classical music.

I tend to be a consumer of classical music, but it didn't start to get REALLY interesting until a later point.

I can't stand the baroque and classical periods. There are a few gems, like Bach.. But most of it I find to be boring. It's like cottage cheese. Once you get into the romantic period, things get a bit more interesting(and the stylistic cliches are not as ear grating). The best stuff in my opinion came about in the modernist period, which also happens to be the least favorite period of classical music for most people. It was by far the most interesting period from a rhythmic standpoint, and the music just straight up had balls.

I'm not really a big fan of minimalist movement that followed the modernist movement... Then nowadays, everyone seems to be trying to be another Hanz Zimmer. I don't find his music to be particularly interesting, though I wouldn't call him a bad composer. Some of his stuff is alright, and some shallow eclecticism does seem to peek through.

Gimmie some Webern, Penderecki, Stravinsky, or even Varese over that Hanz Zimmer wannabe sh!t.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2011 12:21:25 PM
I don't know how anyone can say they don't like this stuff, it's amazing.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2011 4:08:04 PM
At 5/25/2011 5:12:32 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 5/25/2011 4:12:53 PM, innomen wrote:
Care to share?

I have always loved classical music, and my tastes have sort of traveled through all the different genres within the "classical music" category; but I have never lost my love of Mozart and Beethoven,
I love those guys, however I try not to be clingy or else I'll miss out on many great artists.
but I also like the Russians and a great deal of baroque and obscure stuff as well.

Insightful post, btw.

If you're getting into it, try going from genre to genre, and get a feel for different composers. I had an advantage because i used to play a lot in a past life and was lucky to have been exposed to a huge variety of music, and even would transpose pieces to fit the particular group i would be in. I went through a period of Wagner (way over him), and then fell into Prokofiev for a long while too. Then i spent a great deal of time playing renaissance and baroque stuff and enjoyed it a lot.

Don't get hung up on what others think, or what they might think of you, or you will limit yourself, and if you can free yourself of all the crappy limited stuff that's made today, you will find a growing appreiciation for it. It took me a long time to get into anything vocal, and i still don't like a great deal of opera - and friends of mine who are into it think i'm a philistine because i don't like Puccini no matter how hard i try. The point is, if you let it grow with you it will never stop increasing in meaning for you, and if you can, try really hard at just listening to the harmony on a piece, and it's like finding out all the composer's secrets.

Listen at 1.01 and tell me which is melody and which is harmony and continue this trying to follow only the harmony. At 2.18 then where is the harmony where is the melody?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2011 6:34:37 PM
I love those musical animations

They even got the Grosse Fugue

A while back, got the program, just to see my own music through it, but I don't know how to record any of it into video like the creator does.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 3:20:02 AM
Classical music has survived for hundreds of years on its merit. What contemporary music will be around 200 years from now?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 11:36:54 AM
Varese is awesome. I used pieces of "Deserts"(my favorite composition by him) in a video I made about the subject of humor.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 4:18:09 PM
At 5/28/2011 3:20:02 AM, innomen wrote:
Classical music has survived for hundreds of years on its merit. What contemporary music will be around 200 years from now?

Michael Jackson
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 4:33:52 PM
At 5/28/2011 4:18:09 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

Michael Jackson

I'm sure lots and lots of contemporary music will be around in 200 years due to improved storage methods, and unlike classical music more of the detail will be preserved-- we'll be able to see the original artists' work in some of the better stuff. I doubt Michael Jackson will be uniquely popular in 200 years, though really it depends what the fads are like in 2211.

Frankly, there's been a recent genre explosion, fans of most genres will look no further back than 40-60 years from now for the start of the music they like, and some will look to the past two decades.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 5:07:04 AM
At 5/28/2011 4:33:52 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 5/28/2011 4:18:09 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

Michael Jackson

I'm sure lots and lots of contemporary music will be around in 200 years due to improved storage methods, and unlike classical music more of the detail will be preserved-- we'll be able to see the original artists' work in some of the better stuff. I doubt Michael Jackson will be uniquely popular in 200 years, though really it depends what the fads are like in 2211.

Frankly, there's been a recent genre explosion, fans of most genres will look no further back than 40-60 years from now for the start of the music they like, and some will look to the past two decades.

There is great deal of classical manuscripts that have survived but is never played because it just isn't so good. As i said before, Beethoven wrote a lot of crap just to pay the bills, a wedding march here, or some funeral music there, and it really was pretty terrible stuff - it does survive though.

Perhaps i shouldn't have used the word "survive" as much as saying what would be played in 200 years. I'm fairly confident that Michael Jackson will not be played much at all except maybe in some music history class, but Mozart will continue.