Jump to topic:

Woe is me

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 10:38:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
My debate coach is no longer going to be my debate coach next year, which is cause for celebration, because he sent us to like 7 tournaments this year when all the others schools had a minimum of 25, and he isn't very good with feedback, and he doesn't really understand what to expect from people in different events. (for example he doesn't realize that most of my best speeches are written on the fly in the middle of a round, and that our CX group pretty much coaches themselves, because one of them has eaten, breathed and slept CX since August 2009 or earlier when he started debating)

The problem is that our new coach has a really, really, really, really BAD reputation for being morbid and overbearing and generally annoying.
Her daughter qualified for nationals when she was in high school and my main concerns are that she will hold us to her standard (most of the people on our team can't even make finals at a tiny tournament, much less rack up that many points and qualify for nationals...) and that she will be even less understanding about my need to B.S. in rounds and the CX groups need to self-govern than our current coach is....

Should I wait for something of this sort to happen, and then address it, or should I say something outright?
I'm thinking that the first is a better option, but your feedback would be welcome.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 10:44:26 AM
Morbid: 1. Characterized by or appealing to an abnormal and unhealthy interest in disturbing and unpleasant subjects, esp. death and disease.

Creepy coach!
kfc
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 10:44:39 AM
At 6/1/2011 10:38:56 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
My debate coach is no longer going to be my debate coach next year, which is cause for celebration, because he sent us to like 7 tournaments this year when all the others schools had a minimum of 25, and he isn't very good with feedback, and he doesn't really understand what to expect from people in different events. (for example he doesn't realize that most of my best speeches are written on the fly in the middle of a round, and that our CX group pretty much coaches themselves, because one of them has eaten, breathed and slept CX since August 2009 or earlier when he started debating)

The problem is that our new coach has a really, really, really, really BAD reputation for being morbid and overbearing and generally annoying.
Her daughter qualified for nationals when she was in high school and my main concerns are that she will hold us to her standard (most of the people on our team can't even make finals at a tiny tournament, much less rack up that many points and qualify for nationals...) and that she will be even less understanding about my need to B.S. in rounds and the CX groups need to self-govern than our current coach is....

Should I wait for something of this sort to happen, and then address it, or should I say something outright?
I'm thinking that the first is a better option, but your feedback would be welcome.

You're placing unwarranted necessity on the status quo remaining as it is. It was expected at our school would qualify for Nats. Only one year in her close to two decades of teaching did no one qualify, and, even then, it was by a TINY margin. That you're being held to a Nats standard, presumably disallowed from BS-ing in rounds (which, if you mean that in the sense of playing around with your opponent, is a stupid practice in competitive debate anyway unless you're really good and can get away with it), and are having the CX groups (which apparently aren't good enough to score big points and go to Nats, either) brought out of their ineffective self-ruling bubble, all the better.
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 10:46:26 AM
I find annoying and accomplished are much better than submissive and useless
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 10:47:44 AM
At 6/1/2011 10:44:26 AM, Koopin wrote:
Morbid: 1. Characterized by or appealing to an abnormal and unhealthy interest in disturbing and unpleasant subjects, esp. death and disease.

Creepy coach!

Right? She apparently talks about death and murder and killing people all the time.... I am not excited.

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 10:49:26 AM
At 6/1/2011 10:46:26 AM, headphonegut wrote:
I find annoying and accomplished are much better than submissive and useless

And I have so much of a problem if she was the accomplished one, but it's her kid not her

THE_OPINIONATOR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 10:53:40 AM
Your coach is better than mine we have had a debate tean for two years now and we are nothing!! Our school won't support us and we are broke! be thankful you have a coach or for that matter a well of team!
My Blog: Life Through The Eyes of a Christian

http://bloggingforjchrist.blogspot.com...

Life Through The Eyes of a Christian Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com...
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 10:54:33 AM
So you're saying her daughter should teach you? That makes except if only she was the one who had taught herself and it wasn't her mother who helped her get a big azs trophy I'd say kudos to her mom
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 10:55:03 AM
At 6/1/2011 10:44:39 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
You're placing unwarranted necessity on the status quo remaining as it is. It was expected at our school would qualify for Nats. Only one year in her close to two decades of teaching did no one qualify, and, even then, it was by a TINY margin.

I'm more worried about the ones who can't qualify (meaning they just don't build strong enough arguments to do very well) giving up because they will have too much expected of them.

That you're being held to a Nats standard, presumably disallowed from BS-ing in rounds (which, if you mean that in the sense of playing around with your opponent, is a stupid practice in competitive debate anyway unless you're really good and can get away with it),

No, by BSing I mean knowing some facts and writing my speeches on the spot and responding to what is in other people's speeches, because a lot of my judges have been focusing on that.

and are having the CX groups (which apparently aren't good enough to score big points and go to Nats, either) brought out of their ineffective self-ruling bubble, all the better.

This is a matter of work ethic and that is a problem, but the guy I mentioned earlier is good enough to go to nationals and TOC if he has a decent partner... which he currently doesn't.

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 10:56:24 AM
At 6/1/2011 10:53:40 AM, THE_OPINIONATOR wrote:
Your coach is better than mine we have had a debate tean for two years now and we are nothing!! Our school won't support us and we are broke! be thankful you have a coach or for that matter a well of team!

We are a two year old school... we have little to nothing in the way of a budget, too.

devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 10:59:23 AM
At 6/1/2011 10:54:33 AM, headphonegut wrote:
So you're saying her daughter should teach you? That makes except if only she was the one who had taught herself and it wasn't her mother who helped her get a big azs trophy I'd say kudos to her mom

I'm pretty sure her mom wasn't her coach... I don't know a whole lot about Ms. Collins' (the new coach) experience... but I don't think she's had much or Pirtle (the old coach) would have had her come in as a "guest speaker" (which is how I know Sloane (new coach's daughter) was so good, Pirtle had her come in and talk to us, and show us her old oratory.)

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 11:04:02 AM
At 6/1/2011 10:55:03 AM, devinni01841 wrote:
You're placing unwarranted necessity on the status quo remaining as it is. It was expected at our school would qualify for Nats. Only one year in her close to two decades of teaching did no one qualify, and, even then, it was by a TINY margin.

I'm more worried about the ones who can't qualify (meaning they just don't build strong enough arguments to do very well) giving up because they will have too much expected of them.

They can either leave, or quit whining and enjoy the ride. Plus, I don't think it'll be that bad. Coaches COACH you to get to Nats, not expect it.

That you're being held to a Nats standard, presumably disallowed from BS-ing in rounds (which, if you mean that in the sense of playing around with your opponent, is a stupid practice in competitive debate anyway unless you're really good and can get away with it),

No, by BSing I mean knowing some facts and writing my speeches on the spot and responding to what is in other people's speeches, because a lot of my judges have been focusing on that.

That's called "writing a rebuttal".

and are having the CX groups (which apparently aren't good enough to score big points and go to Nats, either) brought out of their ineffective self-ruling bubble, all the better.

This is a matter of work ethic and that is a problem, but the guy I mentioned earlier is good enough to go to nationals and TOC if he has a decent partner... which he currently doesn't.

Meh. I don't care for the TOC too much. In policy, it doesn't change much, but the national circuit ruins LD. Though, I'm actually on a team (not debate--Ethics Bowl, hard to explain) with a guy who was a policy debater in high school (and debates in college). Really good, he and his partner were runners-up at TOC (though they apparently got screwed out of 1st, from what I hear).
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 11:08:53 AM
So her mothers being hired and you don't know her experience just what she's like? So youre not arguing that she sucks at coaching you concede that you old coach does suck and youre only stating that you don't really like a sucky coach being replaced by a maybe better coach you're right oh wait no you're not there are no arguments just complaints
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/1/2011 11:55:09 AM
At 6/1/2011 11:04:02 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 6/1/2011 10:55:03 AM, devinni01841 wrote:

They can either leave, or quit whining and enjoy the ride. Plus, I don't think it'll be that bad. Coaches COACH you to get to Nats, not expect it.

you have a point

That's called "writing a rebuttal".

LOL even in Congress? I just call it BS because I usually write down like ten words and wing it

Meh. I don't care for the TOC too much. In policy, it doesn't change much, but the national circuit ruins LD. Though, I'm actually on a team (not debate--Ethics Bowl, hard to explain) with a guy who was a policy debater in high school (and debates in college). Really good, he and his partner were runners-up at TOC (though they apparently got screwed out of 1st, from what I hear).

My district doesn't even do TOC but he could go if we did