Jump to topic:

Grocieries

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 8:50:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Is it odd i've lived an entire month off of 29 dollars of grocieries in chicago?

Lol does anyone else live as cheaply on food?
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 8:53:09 PM
At 6/15/2011 8:50:00 PM, askbob wrote:
Is it odd i've lived an entire month off of 29 dollars of grocieries in chicago?

Yeah, though it's gotten harder over the summer. I cook pretty well, and can come up with some pretty inventive strategies when I get down to the bare minimum of supplies; however, I'm hungry basically all the time, which makes it difficult to ration well without getting hunger nausea.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 8:53:59 PM
At 6/15/2011 8:53:09 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Yeah, though it's gotten harder over the summer. I cook pretty well, and can come up with some pretty inventive strategies when I get down to the bare minimum of supplies; however, I'm hungry basically all the time, which makes it difficult to ration well without getting hunger nausea.

Also, I live in Oklahoma--I don't know how cost of living compares to Chicago (I imagine more expensive on your part), so my dollar probably goes a bit further.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 8:55:36 PM
You live in Chicago too?

So what are you living off of? Your diet must primarily consist of salt.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 9:04:22 PM
i only have a microwave and minifridge no freezer so i can't cook. 2 cans of tomato soup 8 family size spagettios 2 loaves of bread 1 gallon of milk 1 lb of cheese for 3.28 a lb 1lb of turkey for 3.28 a lb 2 boxes of oatmeal 2 boxes of sugar free generic koolaid mix
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 9:06:52 PM
At 6/15/2011 9:04:22 PM, askbob wrote:
i only have a microwave and minifridge no freezer so i can't cook. 2 cans of tomato soup 8 family size spagettios 2 loaves of bread 1 gallon of milk 1 lb of cheese for 3.28 a lb 1lb of turkey for 3.28 a lb 2 boxes of oatmeal 2 boxes of sugar free generic koolaid mix

How have you even survived an entire month? You must eat very little.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 9:09:25 PM

That's ridiculous.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 9:18:04 PM
At 6/15/2011 9:09:25 PM, tvellalott wrote:

That's ridiculous.

1st 2 weeks, turkey and cheese sammiches with tomatoe soup mixed with milk. 1 can lasts 4 meals

3rd 4th weeks spaghettios

oatmeal for breakfast

koolaid 32 quarts (1 quart a day)
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 9:22:50 PM
At 6/15/2011 8:55:36 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
You live in Chicago too?

yup for the summer in the burbs. If you want to grab a beer pm me.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 9:40:28 PM
lol i just went shopping and spent almost 20 dollars on fruit that will last me < week.

on the bright side, i also won't turn into a pillar of salt :D
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 10:03:46 PM
At 6/15/2011 9:40:28 PM, belle wrote:
lol i just went shopping and spent almost 20 dollars on fruit that will last me < week.

on the bright side, i also won't turn into a pillar of salt :D

it's only 50% of the daily recommended sodium
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/15/2011 10:08:00 PM

You have a microwave, so RAMEN NOODLES. $0.15 a packet. Never go hungry again.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 12:40:57 AM
Askbob, easy. Dollar store has three packs of cup O Noodles for a buck each. One cup of noodles a meal, three meals is a dollar a day. 30 dollars a month. 365 dollars a year and you are fed. Why does the world starve?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 1:44:49 AM
I can better that. I've survived a whole month without spending anything on food. Except maybe a chocolate bar or two.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 1:59:51 AM
At 6/15/2011 10:08:00 PM, mongoose wrote:
You have a microwave, so RAMEN NOODLES. $0.15 a packet. Never go hungry again.

I buy those by the hundreds.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 7:01:25 AM
At 6/16/2011 1:44:49 AM, phantom wrote:
I can better that. I've survived a whole month without spending anything on food. Except maybe a chocolate bar or two.

lol then what did you eat
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 7:08:45 AM
At 6/16/2011 7:01:25 AM, askbob wrote:

His parents bought his food.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 10:14:12 AM
I could not live on 1 gallon of milk for a month. I go through 3 gallons a week.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 10:24:30 AM
At 6/16/2011 7:08:45 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 6/16/2011 7:01:25 AM, askbob wrote:

His parents bought his food.

This
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 10:47:49 AM
Brown rice and steel cut oats are the cheapest calories you're going to find. Protein powder is half the price of meat if you buy it online, though $3.50/lb of meat is pretty reasonable imo. A couple of eggs or bulk almonds are probably the cheapest fat sources.

You guys sound like you're eating pretty unhealthy diets though. Like you have no concept of what your body needs and no physical goals other than to suppress hunger.

Its okay though. Everyone rationalizes their current lifetsyle and body composition so they don't have to make the effort change or admit that what they're doing is mind numbingly stupid.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 12:08:19 PM
At 6/16/2011 10:47:49 AM, Sieben wrote:
Brown rice and steel cut oats are the cheapest calories you're going to find. Protein powder is half the price of meat if you buy it online, though $3.50/lb of meat is pretty reasonable imo. A couple of eggs or bulk almonds are probably the cheapest fat sources.

You guys sound like you're eating pretty unhealthy diets though. Like you have no concept of what your body needs and no physical goals other than to suppress hunger.

Its okay though. Everyone rationalizes their current lifetsyle and body composition so they don't have to make the effort change or admit that what they're doing is mind numbingly stupid.

LOL

I live at home, so I just make a grocery list and my mother buys what I ask for. I couldn't live on Mr. Noodles on a daily basis o_O I'm glad I don't live on campus, there are just too many horror stories.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 12:26:14 PM

Noodles..good
Fruit...bad
Big man eat
Big man eat noodles
Big man save money....
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 12:42:11 PM
At 6/16/2011 12:26:14 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

Noodles..good
Wrong
Fruit...bad
Wrong
Big man eat
All men eat
Big fat man eat noodles
Fixed
Big man save money....
Zzzzzzzzzz

Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 12:45:17 PM
At 6/16/2011 12:08:19 PM, nonentity wrote:

I live at home, so I just make a grocery list and my mother buys what I ask for. I couldn't live on Mr. Noodles on a daily basis o_O I'm glad I don't live on campus, there are just too many horror stories.

Its always a bad idea to let someone else cook your food. Fast food joints frequently under-cook food because they are rushed or don't care. All restaurants will also use cooking oils and spices/additives that taste good but are bad for your health. Cooking with trans fat and MSG = both neurotoxins.

Its also 3x the price ><

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 1:03:53 PM
At 6/16/2011 12:42:11 PM, Sieben wrote:
At 6/16/2011 12:26:14 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

Noodles..good
Wrong
Fruit...bad
Wrong
Big man eat
All men eat
Big fat man eat noodles
Fixed
Big man save money....
Zzzzzzzzzz

Its called a sarcastic imitation
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 6:15:07 PM
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 6:30:44 PM

I don't get by that cheap. I spend around 250.00-300.00 a month. That Is feeding a family of five. My wife is a coupon and sale Nazi. We eat pretty good to. Might me comparable if you figure in that I bring home around 4500.00 a month.

Last night we had tri tip. Asparagus wiped with olive oil and covered with Tonys seasoning. And then lightly charred on grill. Some fresh sea trout. And various veggies shish kabob. Oh yeah, and fresh shrimp from the gulf of mexico.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2011 6:33:06 PM
You could make a nice salmon dinner for pretty cheap, too. $8 will by you like 5 salmon fillets... toss some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme on that and stick it in the oven. Put it on a bed of spinach and you're good to go. Then again, I'm on a diet :(